Ferdinand or Vidic in their pomp

Thing that irks me about Rio is that supporters outside of United don't actually rate him that much. He is the most brilliant defender I have ever watched in my life. 2007/2008 was just on a whole other level because he still had that lightning recovery pace.

I know we're a bunch of knobs in Australia, but a lot of people I talk to actually rate Vidic and Terry above him. This is why I stay home and watch games though.

I call this 'Blood and Thunder Syndrome'!!

People perceive defenders who are constantly blocking shots, putting in last ditch tackles, and heading a lot as better defenders than thiks who read the game and snuff out trouble before the need for the big sliding tackle is required.

Rio was already a world class defender when Vidic joined the club.

Vidic is Rio's apprentice.

He wasn't consistent in showing it though, I absolutely remember strikers turning him inside out. My Arsenal friends used to joke, whenever a striker megged Rio, it was a certain goal.

He's been on another level ever since Vidic joined.

I call this 'Blood and Thunder Syndrome'!!

People perceive defenders who are constantly blocking shots, putting in last ditch tackles, and heading a lot as better defenders than thiks who read the game and snuff out trouble before the need for the big sliding tackle is required.

I hate this assumption, that football fans do not appreciate the subtler qualities. Who do you know that rates Gerrard, a blood and thunder player, over Scholes?

I hate this assumption, that football fans do not appreciate the subtler qualities. Who do you know that rates Gerrard, a blood and thunder player, over Scholes?

Gerrard is better than Xavi. Blood & Thunder Rulz!!

Yes, he was. And never aerially dominant, are you kiding me? How many players over the years have dominated Rio in the air then? You're just spouting hyperbolic rubbish that lazy football pundits and arm chair fans who never bother to properly watch the game like to come out with. Rio is very strong in the air. Unfortunately some people need the media and/or football commentators to tell them just how good a player is before they agree. And Rio has never had that media support.
Which year was Rio the best player in the world? Because for the life of me I cant remember him even winning Manchester United's player of the season, never mind the Ballon D'or. I dont think he's ever had a season where he's been Man Utd's best player, never mind the best player in the world.

The media argument is just your way of trying to argue around the point without addressing it. Ferdinand only truly matured into a consistantly world class player when he was partnered by Vidic, that says more than anything about the 'limitations' of Ferdinand's game.

And I would be curious to see which 10 central defenders you put ahead of him.
In no particular order, not the best 10 but a mix of the most obvious/stylistically similar/contemporary;
Maldini
Moore
Beckenbauer
Baresi
Passarella
Krol
Costacurta
Desailly
Koeman
Scirea

Which year was Rio the best player in the world? Because for the life of me I cant remember him even winning Manchester United's player of the season, never mind the Ballon D'or. I dont think he's ever had a season where he's been Man Utd's best player, never mind the best player in the world.

The media argument is just your way of trying to argue around the point without addressing it. Ferdinand only truly matured into a consistantly world class player when he was partnered by Vidic, that says more than anything about the 'limitations' of Ferdinand's game.

In no particular order, not the best 10 but a mix of the most obvious/stylistically similar/contemporary;
Maldini
Moore
Beckenbauer
Baresi
Passarella
Krol
Costacurta
Desailly
Koeman
Scirea[/QUOTE]

How many of those have you actually seen play, out of intererst?

I don't think people are underestimating Vida's quality. He's seriously top-notch and has brought so much to United, it's ridiculous. As I said earlier, there's not a team in England, Spain, Italy etc. where he wouldn't get his game, he's a good as anybody around. But for the majority here, myself included, Rio is a just a class above.

When for arguments sake can anyone remember Rio getting seriously, seriously roasted? Or having a real mare?
I'm not saying Vida is prone to having a bad game but there are certain occasions when he can appear to be a little bit ruffled. That said, Vidic will go down as a great United player and one of United's best defenders.

Are you lot serious? Rio used to have serious problems with physically strong strikers away from home.

This is one awful mistake some time back. I think there is this myth that Rio was always a supreme defender. As I've often said he had some serious issues against physically dominant strikers. And he always had these silly mistakes in him.

That doesn't mean he didn't become a class defender in time, but the theory that Rio has always been top class is not really true.

And Rio was NEVER the best player in the world. Same case with Vidic.

Unless someone actually thinks he was better than Ronaldo which is a bit silly in itself.

This is simple really, Vidić is great defender, but Rio is better. When it comes to Vidić you can question yourself is he the best in the world when on top of his game, while with Rio in his prime you just knew he's the best out there.

How many of those have you actually seen play, out of intererst?

I haven't seen anything other than the odd one off match/World Cup games from Krol, Beckenbauer and Moore, they'd come under the "obvious" category. That's part of the reason I tried to stick to players I have seen play at least semi-regularly. The rest I've seen plenty of (although I've only seen the back end of Scirea's career, admittedly when he was past his peak) so I felt pretty comfortable comparing them all to Ferdinand.

I wouldn't say any were "miles" ahead of Ferdinand either, I rate him that highly but he's not one of the "greatest of all time".

That's not true at all, as you can see how poorly we defended during his drug ban and how much we improved when he came back. At one point, he even had Mikael flipping Silvestre looking like a world class central defender.

United aside, he's been consistently outstanding for England in any major tournament he's played in (unlike Vidic, for Serbia)

Stupid comparison. Totally different positions so it won't equate. A lot of football fans love the Richard Dunne, Terry type defender. One who heads everything thrown at them, but wouldn't be as adept at reading the game as Rio would. I think you re giving fans too much credit in general. Many, many fans do not look for the finer points of football, but look instead for the massive sliding tackle. It's actually natural that that's what people in our part of the world prefer. It's what we were brought up with. The concept of a ball playing centre half is a relatively new thing and still rare in the premiership.

That's not true at all, as you can see how poorly we defended during his drug ban and how much we improved when he came back. At one point, he even had Mikael flipping Silvestre looking like a world class central defender.

United aside, he's been consistently outstanding for England in any major tournament he's played in (unlike Vidic, for Serbia)

Ferdinand was consistently world class for us from 02-06? I wouldn't say so, he was comfortably our best defender but he wasn't consistently world class like Nesta was at that time for instance, that came later. Oh and Mikael Silvestre looked at best competent, and only then at left back, he never looked world class ffs :lol:

2 things about his international record, Vidic plays for Serbia, plus when has Vidic ever let Serbia down? He missed World Cup 2006 after that famous 4 run in qualifying. They missed qualification by 3 points for 08 (conceding 11 in 14 games) and he didn't let them down in 2010 when he was their best defender in the finals.

I haven't seen anything other than the odd one off match/World Cup games from Krol, Beckenbauer and Moore, they'd come under the "obvious" category. That's part of the reason I tried to stick to players I have seen play at least semi-regularly. The rest I've seen plenty of (although I've only seen the back end of Scirea's career, admittedly when he was past his peak) so I felt pretty comfortable comparing them all to Ferdinand.

I wouldn't say any were "miles" ahead of Ferdinand either, I rate him that highly but he's not one of the "greatest of all time".

So you can't say for certain that Rio as a defender could never fit in that catergory.

Moore was a great reader of the game but he was slow, didn't make him any less of a great captain mind.He nearly didn't make the WC...but the rest is history
Koeman was never a defender.It's a misconception that he was.Great passer from the back and as such that's why they used him there;as a playmaker.Rio is comfortably better...as a defender.

Of the rest I'd say only Maldini and Baresi were better, Krol arguable as well.

As a defender Rio could easily compete with the rest.

Ferdinand was consistently world class for us from 02-06? I wouldn't say so, he was comfortably our best defender but he wasn't consistently world class like Nesta was at that time for instance, that came later. Oh and Mikael Silvestre looked at best competent, and only then at left back, he never looked world class ffs :lol:

2 things about his international record, Vidic plays for Serbia, plus when has Vidic ever let Serbia down? He missed World Cup 2006 after that famous 4 run in qualifying. They missed qualification by 3 points for 08 (conceding 11 in 14 games) and he didn't let them down in 2010 when he was their best defender in the finals.

He gave away an incredibly pointless and stupid penalty.

Didn't make much difference, in the grand scheme of things, but if Rio did something similar for England he'd be absolutely crucified (and rightly so)

He gave away an incredibly pointless and stupid penalty.
Didn't make much difference, in the grand scheme of things, but if Rio did something similar for England he'd be absolutely crucified (and rightly so)
One incident... yeah thats letting down his country. hardly better than This or this is it? He's not been flawless for England even if it wasn't in the finals. Vidic is Serbia's best and most important player, of all the angles to try and attack Vidic from thats one of the poorest.

So you can't say for certain that Rio as a defender could never fit in that catergory.
In the same way I cant say Van Nistlerooy could never fit into the same category as Pele. Except I can, because I've seen enough of their exploits at international level and their brilliance was hardly a secret.

Moore was a great reader of the game but he was slow, didn't make him any less of a great captain mind.He nearly didn't make the WC...but the rest is history
I'll go with first hand evidence of watching him at two world cups and the countless other testiments that he's Englands best defender ever thank you.

Koeman was never a defender.It's a misconception that he was.Great passer from the back and as such that's why they used him there;as a playmaker.Rio is comfortably better...as a defender.
He started out as a midfielder, but from PSV-ish onwards he was a sweeper and one of the best. Different times, the sweeper has gone out of fashion, if Rio had played 20 years ago he'd have been playing in the sweeper role like Koeman and Beckenbauer. They'd come under the "stylistically similar" category, I'm judging them on their ability as sweepers rather than midfielders, which is what Ferdinand's role and skill set is closest to.

Of the rest I'd say only Maldini and Baresi were better, Krol arguable as well. As a defender Rio could easily compete with the rest.

I'm sure he could compete, I was asked to name 10 better and I'm fairly confident all where better at their peak than Ferdinand was at his.

Anyways it's very close and noone is miles ahead the other (to suggest so is laughable) and lets just hope and pray they both have great games against Barca.

And Rio was NEVER the best player in the world. Same case with Vidic.

Unless someone actually thinks he was better than Ronaldo which is a bit silly in itself.

Each to their own indeed eh amol...

;)

Rio in his prime... and Stam as his partner.

Would have been ridiculous.

That would have been amazing!

My favourite Stam moment was Inzaghi trying to back into him and just bouncing off him, then trying again and getting the same result. As tough as Vidic is, Stam was an absolute beast, and he was bloody quick as well. Gutted when he left, although in hindsight I'm relieved he went when he did.

That would have been amazing!

My favourite Stam moment was Inzaghi trying to back into him and just bouncing off him, then trying again and getting the same result.

Wasn't it Zamorano?

Yeah, because listing a couple of examples = the only "greatest ever" players. Ferdinand isn't in the top 10 central defenders of all time, he might sneak into the top 20, he's not one of the "greatest ever".

1. No he wasn't
2. No he didn't, he's never been aerially dominant

In 2008, Rio was no worse than Ronaldo, and we all know how good Ronaldo was that year. He WAS aerially dominant (saw him live in pretty much every match that year, and the only striker that gave him any trouble whatsoever was Kenwyne Jones funnily enough!), and had no flaws in his game at all. Not a single one. He shat out Torres, Drogba, Eto'o, Adebayor, Messi and all sorts. With ease, and all.

He was comparable the year before (and bloody good in 05/06 also - better than Terry for me) but not quite as immense and, whenever he's been fit, has operated at a similar level despite being a bit slower.

Haven't been many better than him, that's for sure. I often wonder how much credit he would've got had he been Italian. When you've got people like Messi saying he's the best defender he's ever played against, you get an idea of how good he is!

In 2008, Rio was no worse than Ronaldo

The rest I dont disagree with, apart from as I said, he's "good" in the air not "great". The line I've quoted is the glaring error, I'm pretty sure if you find our player of the season voting from then Ronaldo would have gotten 99% of the votes, he was by quite some distance the best player in the world in 07/08. I think Ferdinand is the best defender Man Utd have ever had, I just dont feel the necessity to say he was "complete" or "one of the greatest off all time" when there's no shame in having one area of your game you're not a colossus at and and benefiting from playing along side someone who is, have been a hell of a lot of defenders to play the game, it's no shame having a few that are better than you.

Was it? Thought it was Inzaghi but it might have been Zamorano.

Whoever it was, he wasn't getting any change out of Stam anyway!
Any excuse for that video.

Mark my words. You will not see a defender like Vidic in a long, long time. Appreciate him whilst he is playing, because that kind of defensive colossus doesn't come around often.

You don't think Stam compares in terms of colussus-ness, for example?

The rest I dont disagree with, apart from as I said, he's "good" in the air not "great". The line I've quoted is the glaring error, I'm pretty sure if you find our player of the season voting from then Ronaldo would have gotten 99% of the votes, he was by quite some distance the best player in the world in 07/08.

There was nothing in it. Ronaldo and Ferdinand were just as good as each other - both were equally influential and significant in winning that fantastic double.

Rio Ferdinand put in the best overall defensive display I have seen in a season that year. They were definitely comparable seasons - Ronaldo was obviously going to scoop the awards given his position.

Though I wouldn't say that Ferdinand had a better season, he was no worse and I'd go as far as to say that, at his peak, he was better (just as Ronaldo, at his peak the year before, was better). At one point, Rio was consistently putting in 8s, 9s and 10/10 performances (something Ronaldo, for all his productivity, did not do, though it wasn't actually his role). It was phenomenal.

There was nothing in it. Ronaldo and Ferdinand were just as good as each other - both were equally influential and significant in winning that fantastic double.

Rio Ferdinand put in the best overall defensive display I have seen in a season that year. They were definitely comparable seasons - Ronaldo was obviously going to scoop the awards given his position.

Though I wouldn't say that Ferdinand had a better season, he was no worse and I'd go as far as to say that, at his peak, he was better (just as Ronaldo, at his peak the year before, was better). At one point, Rio was consistently putting in 8s, 9s and 10/10 performances (something Ronaldo, for all his productivity, did not do, though it wasn't actually his role). It was phenomenal.

There was, as good as Ferdinand was that year, Ronaldo scored 42 goals, broke George Best's record from midfield and sweeped all the awards going. He was the best player in the world comfortably that season, only in a thread about Ferdinand would you even get someone trying to argue that.

It was actually argued on here consistently throughout that year and season, also.

In 2008, Rio was no worse than Ronaldo, and we all know how good Ronaldo was that year. He WAS aerially dominant (saw him live in pretty much every match that year, and the only striker that gave him any trouble whatsoever was Kenwyne Jones funnily enough!), and had no flaws in his game at all. Not a single one. He shat out Torres, Drogba, Eto'o, Adebayor, Messi and all sorts. With ease, and all.

He was comparable the year before (and bloody good in 05/06 also - better than Terry for me) but not quite as immense and, whenever he's been fit, has operated at a similar level despite being a bit slower.

Haven't been many better than him, that's for sure. I often wonder how much credit he would've got had he been Italian. When you've got people like Messi saying he's the best defender he's ever played against, you get an idea of how good he is!
I wonder how much credit Vidic would get here if he was English :D

Shitting hell, imagine the media shitestorm it would cause if Vidic was English? :lol:

They'd probably build statues of him taking on various lethal predators with his bare hands outside each stand at Wembley.

I'm with KingEric on this one. Call me crazy, but I think Rio was the best player in the world at 2007/08. Called it at the time when the memories of both performers were fresh in my mind.

Couldnt really give a toss if you think i'm wrong, so dont bother arguing with me.

I'm with KingEric on this one. Call me crazy, but I think Rio was the best player in the world at 2007/08. Called it at the time when the memories of both performers were fresh in my mind.

Couldnt really give a toss if you think i'm wrong, so dont bother arguing with me.

Crazy man!

Now, come on, you said I could!

The rest I dont disagree with, apart from as I said, he's "good" in the air not "great". The line I've quoted is the glaring error, I'm pretty sure if you find our player of the season voting from then Ronaldo would have gotten 99% of the votes, he was by quite some distance the best player in the world in 07/08. I think Ferdinand is the best defender Man Utd have ever had, I just dont feel the necessity to say he was "complete" or "one of the greatest off all time" when there's no shame in having one area of your game you're not a colossus at and and benefiting from playing along side someone who is, have been a hell of a lot of defenders to play the game, it's no shame having a few that are better than you.

Another point I was going to make here is that, if you believe Ferdinand is the greatest Manchester United defender of all time, and when you take into account that his peak has co-incided with United's most successful period historically (an era that has been built around the solidity of our back 4, as well as counter-attacking football), doesn't that sort of make him one of the best defenders of all time by default?

I know it doesn't necessarily follow in a logical sense, but you can see my point.

Another point I was going to make here is that, if you believe Ferdinand is the greatest Manchester United defender of all time, and when you take into account that his peak has co-incided with United's most successful period historically (an era that has been built around the solidity of our back 4, as well as counter-attacking football), doesn't that sort of make him one of the best defenders of all time by default?

I know it doesn't necessarily follow in a logical sense, but you can see my point.

I can see the point, but there are lots of countries, lots of clubs with successful/more successful periods in their history, some of them have had better central defenders than Rio. That is part of it, but there is much more to it than that.

Silly thread. Rio at his best is a much better player than Vidic.