Ferdi Kadıoğlu | signs for Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, eventually that'll happen, it's just not this season.

And that's based on what? :lol:

People have been relying on him "staying fit" with regards to squad planning for a decade now, but here's his current history of missed games with us:

3 (his best season and only fit one really)

Optimistically you're looking at him missing 15-20 games through injury, which is about a third of the season without your first choice left back where the drop off is immense considering Malacia potentially will never be the same player (and already needed to be developed) or we are shifting Dalot to cover, all while the Cafe bemoans how unlucky we are with injuries and performances dip (it's not luck anymore, it's a pattern)

A chunk of that was his nightmare injury from the European game. I think he’s played about 70% of the last few PL seasons before 23/24 (*not saying that is great either, but just hope he can manage two seasons and Amass progresses)

Just posted his games missed by season above, but on average you're looking at him missing a third of the season provided nothing more serious while ALSO relying on him being at top fitness for the other 2/3rds and playing his best.

Again this isn't me knocking Shaw's quality, it's just the reality where relying on fecking Malacia (who has hardly been able to kick a ball for a year and might never run the same) or our RB's to shift over to LB for 15+ games a season is a stupid strategy if we have the opportunity to acquire one of the best young FB's available on the market for a reasonable fee. Well run clubs buy before they need to replace the ageing starter. Average clubs buy when that player is already past it. I'd like to see us do the former when possible

Some of you are far too bothered by him being right-footed :lol:
I like him as a player but I’ll be the first to admit I’m not a fan of inverted full backs, especially when the forward and that side offers no natural width either.

And that's based on what? :lol:

People have been relying on him "staying fit" with regards to squad planning for a decade now, but here's his current history of missed games with us:

3 (his best season and only fit one really)

Optimistically you're looking at him missing 15-20 games through injury, which is about a third of the season without your first choice left back where the drop off is immense considering Malacia potentially will never be the same player (and already needed to be developed) or we are shifting Dalot to cover, all while the Cafe bemoans how unlucky we are with injuries and performances dip (it's not luck anymore, it's a pattern)
Basing it off of the quantity of work that we have to do on the squad, his current ability level regardless of injuries, his standing in the squad and his contract, and the opinion our current manager has of him.

He was injured. He hasn't retired. When he's not injured, he's arguably the first name on the team sheet. Just because he was injured for a few months, it doesn't mean that he is finished as a player and the club will sell him. He is injury prone, yes. We need to get cover who is available, yes. But when fit, Luke Shaw will absolutely be one of the first names on the team sheet next season, that's pretty much a guarantee. I don't even understand how you think that's a questionable thing to say.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Ferdi. We absolutely should, especially if Wan Bissaka leaves as he can cover both sides well. But he's not replacing Shaw as a starter.

Shaw is 30 and has rarely completed more than half of a season. At a certain point you can't just rely on "when fit" if a player misses that much time consistently if you ever expect to be a consistently good side.

And this has nothing to do with his quality, I love watching Shaw play.

Bollocks, did I drink away another two years!? This has to stop...

Looked good at the Euro. Not sure that should be a basis for any transfer, and if, a big if, we were considering him that he has been scouted before this. Personally think it is an Agent looking to drum up interest.

I like him as a player but I’ll be the first to admit I’m not a fan of inverted full backs, especially when the forward and that side offers no natural width either.
Denis Irwin didnt have any issues as a right footed left back.

Besides Kadioglu along with Guler and Yilmiz (blonde 80s perm) were outstanding for turkey during the euros.

Another Dutch player, as back up for Shaw and Malacia. Can play on the right too.

That idiot is not a journalist but a simply mouthpiece for Fenerbahçe. Not reliable at all.

Trying to link Fener players to big clubs to keep their values up. He probably uses the lazy ten Hag/Dutch connection in this case.

The Turkish "journalists" are very much like their counterparts in Spain. They're either Real/Barca (or Gala/Fener in this case) and act like a club spokesman. They make up stories all the time about their clubs players which most of them are BS. So take their words with a pinch of salt.

If one of Malacia or AWB leaves this summer it would leave us with Shaw, Kadıoğlu and Dalot. Shaw can cover LCB|LB, Kadıoğlu and Dalot LB/RB. This is a good upgrade both on starting both also on backup level

Basing it off of the quantity of work that we have to do on the squad, his current ability level regardless of injuries, his standing in the squad and his contract, and the opinion our current manager has of him.

He was injured. He hasn't retired. When he's not injured, he's arguably the first name on the team sheet. Just because he was injured for a few months, it doesn't mean that he is finished as a player and the club will sell him. He is injury prone, yes. We need to get cover who is available, yes. But when fit, Luke Shaw will absolutely be one of the first names on the team sheet next season, that's pretty much a guarantee. I don't even understand how you think that's a questionable thing to say.

I'm not saying we shouldn't sign Ferdi. We absolutely should, especially if Wan Bissaka leaves as he can cover both sides well. But he's not replacing Shaw as a starter.

Okay I think you and I are just misunderstanding each other. When I say “replacement” I mean most likely a year or 2 down the road, not that he’s straight up benching him this year. But my point was that odds are he’s still going to be starting a good amount of games at LB anyways even if Shaw when fit is still preferred this season.

Denis Irwin didnt have any issues as a right footed left back.

Besides Kadioglu along with Guler and Yilmiz (blonde 80s perm) were outstanding for turkey during the euros.
Denis Irwin and someone like Phillip Lahm are the exceptions to the rule.

You’ve disregarded the comment about no width in the current forward options as they are also right footed; Irwin retired decades ago when most teams still played 4-4-2 and had Giggs in front of him who was as naturally left footed as they come.

Denis Irwin and someone like Phillip Lahm are the exceptions to the rule.

You’ve disregarded the comment about no width in the current forward options as they are also right footed; Irwin retired decades ago when most teams still played 4-4-2 and had Giggs in front of him who was as naturally left footed as they come.

Have you missed out on him crossing just fine with his left? So why is it that big of a deal? He is playing left back as a right footed footballer to a high level, so obviously he doesn't have any issues with it. I'm sure the people in charge would have thought about this if it was a problem.

Have you missed out on him crossing just fine with his left? So why is it that big of a deal? He is playing left back as a right footed footballer to a high level, so obviously he doesn't have any issues with it. I'm sure the people in charge would have thought about this if it was a problem.
You’re making out that I’m talking specifically about Kadioglu which is not what I said; my comment was a general opinion that I’m not keen on inverted full backs, especially with no natural width in front of them.

You’re making out that I’m talking specifically about Kadioglu which is not what I said; my comment was a general opinion that I’m not keen on inverted full backs, especially with no natural width in front of them.
What are the consequences of that with an inverted LB?

What are the consequences of that with an inverted LB?
I would say a tendency to cut inside from both players and a lack of overlapping runs.

Shaw isn’t fully fit but you saw the difference between him and Trippier the other night with a couple of runs past the forward. It’s not always about getting the ball, it also moves defenders around and opens up space.

United are currently a team that struggles to create, especially against a low block and inverted full backs exacerbates the problem IMO.

I’ve nothing against this specific player as I haven’t seen enough of him to judge. If people are sayings he’s 2-footed, then great.

He looked and looks like a proper player. He uses his left foot for crosses too, which is encouraging as he can go both ways in the final third without a moment’s hesitation.

He looks like a starter regardless, either on the left or the right for the aggression and attacking impetus. What’s also great is the LCB is better strengthened then with Shaw then being cover, if not the starting LB. I think this guy goes straight into contesting with Dalot when not at LB (when Shaw’s invariably injured).

Yes I noticed that too...in the highlights . Saw a few first time left footed touches, push touches to dribble and crosses etc. I like that he can stands up a player and can get past with his first step of acceleration. It brings a tear to my eye.

If we get him and if he can translate what we see to the PL, he will be a very good player for us simply for his movement on and off the ball.

Last edited:
I figured out you can’t type Kadıoğlu with a German keyboard, wtf.

Pass. We don't have a good record with players from Turkish league. #cough-Bayindir

But seriously, we need a reliable left back. Luke Shaw is clearly unable to stay fit and Malacia is a missing-in-action ghost. We are in serious trouble on the left

Shaw would need to play a whole season to catch up with Marital’s appearance record despite joining a season earlier than Tony M.

Would be folly to reply on him next season

I would say a tendency to cut inside from both players and a lack of overlapping runs.

Shaw isn’t fully fit but you saw the difference between him and Trippier the other night with a couple of runs past the forward. It’s not always about getting the ball, it also moves defenders around and opens up space.

United are currently a team that struggles to create, especially against a low block and inverted full backs exacerbates the problem IMO.

I’ve nothing against this specific player as I haven’t seen enough of him to judge. If people are sayings he’s 2-footed, then great.
I understand better now. Cheers.

Pass. We don't have a good record with players from Turkish league. #cough-Bayindir

But seriously, we need a reliable left back. Luke Shaw is clearly unable to stay fit and Malacia is a missing-in-action ghost. We are in serious trouble on the left

Ronny Johnsen worked out well, I'd say.

Yes I noticed that too...in the highlights . Saw a few first time left footed touches, push touches to dribble and crosses etc. I like that he can stands up a player and can get past with his first step of acceleration. It brings a tear to my eye.

If we get him and if he can translate what we see to the PL, he will be a very good player for us simply for his movement on and off the ball.
Yep. Even if it didn't work out, you can see why he'd be pursued in the first place.

I think the way Turks play for their NT and the physical nature and aggression in their domestic league, he'd take to the PL like a duck to water.

How is Bayindir bad? he was signed on the cheap £4.3m as a back up keeper and has never been given opportunity to prove himself in the first team, from what I have seen he is a very capable keeper 26yo, he has not lost any value and would probably increase in value if we gave him a run in cup games etc.

How is Bayindir bad? he was signed on the cheap £4.3m as a back up keeper and has never been given opportunity to prove himself in the first team, from what I have seen he is a very capable keeper 26yo, he has not lost any value and would probably increase in value if we gave him a run in cup games etc.

Judging by his performances at Fenerbahce before we signed him, that might not necessarily be true.

Would be an interesting transfer. Cheap, too. With Shaw being available only half the time and with Malacia gone he should see a good amount of play.

He seems a direct, aggressive runner though. There's no issue with width and penetration if you have a player like Zambrotta or Spinazzola, even though they are playing on their 'wrong' side.

The fact that Erik didn't play him a single second all season, not even when Onana was supposed to go to AfCon, should tell you something

The fact that Erik didn't play him a single second all season, not even when Onana was supposed to go to AfCon, should tell you something
Yeah because ETH demonstrated excellent judgement all throughout last season, how could I have missed that

In addition dropping Onana would potentially have required him to lose face and admit he had misjudged an expensive signing, could also have been very bad for Onana's morale

Yes please. Tenacious little bugger he is.

So the fact that Erik refused to rotate players is somehow Bayindir’s fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.