F1 2024 Season

Not a great teammate for bearman, will probably drive him off the road at some point, like he did with Alonso and Gasly.

I know he has won a GP, but I think he's a pretty average driver.

Red Bull probably see an advantage for a fresh engine at Spa for Verstappen, combine that with their DRS and the Kemmel Straight should be a hive of overtaking activity for them.
They did the same thing last year at Spa. Though it will be harder this year for him to get into the podium (safety cars aside*). The McLarens, Mercedes, Ferraris are all competitive and also if Max is behind the Haas's after his penalty is applied that could be tough as they are rapidly in a straight line.

I'm looking forward to spa, I always do, but seeing how far max can get up the grid on Sunday will be interesting.

* Perez to crash his RedBull on Sunday and cause a safety car? Almost guaranteed :lol:

* Perez to crash his RedBull on Sunday and cause a safety car? Almost guaranteed :lol:
Even with Briatore back on the grid, we can confidently say that it'll be a driving issue rather than anything manufactured :lol: . If Perez doesn't score well here, then expect the vultures to circle and Ricciardo and him to swap for the rest of the season.

If Perez doesn't score well here, then expect the vultures to circle and Ricciardo and him to swap for the rest of the season.
Would they swap or would Perez just be out completely and Lawson takes the RB seat? I don't see what keeping Perez around achieves.

Keeping Perez is just indicative how a team can self destruct due to the inflated egos of a bunch of people. They probably cannot make a decision amidst all the bickering.

Keeping Perez is just indicative how a team can self destruct due to the inflated egos of a bunch of people. They probably cannot make a decision amidst all the bickering.
Its the internal politics (Verstappen snr v horner) and his £50mil of sponsorship he brings to RedBull

Though I wonder how much damage he has racked up this season in terms of £££.

Red Bull probably see an advantage for a fresh engine at Spa for Verstappen, combine that with their DRS and the Kemmel Straight should be a hive of overtaking activity for them.
Think Red Bull have lost that straight line advantage this season but not sure

Max's sim racing setup. Home version is around £30,000. I am surprised he hasn't gone all out for one with gyros that simulate car movement.

Portable version that goes to F1 weekends

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/s/gNoSOxCnWU

Home Setup

https://boxthislap.org/max-verstappen-sim-racing-setup/

You have to admire the dedication. How many of us would want to simulate our day jobs at home? :lol:

Last edited:
Max's sim racing setup. Home version is around £30,000. I am surprised he hasn't gone all out for one with gyros that simulate car movement.

Home Setup

You have to admire the dedication. How many of us would want to simulate our day jobs at home? :lol:

All that money and a fecking Logitech headset

How am I supposed to compete with that with a puny little Thrustmaster :nervous:

Think Red Bull have lost that straight line advantage this season but not sure
It looked powerful at Hungary and the Kemmel straight should be long enough to make an impact. That’s the only reason why i think Red Bull would take the engine penalty here and not at Monza.

Home Setup

From what I know he mostly plays with GT cars, not F1 anyway.

He will win easily from 11th if that S2 pace remains as it does, this is a proper Red Bull track and with a new engine in the back its a rocket.

For any other teammate this is an open goal, but with Perez at the wheel he probably wont' even qualify Top 5.

BREAKING

Alpine have announced Team Principal Bruno Famin will leave his current role by the end of August:

"BWT Alpine F1 Team can confirm that Bruno Famin will move away from his current role as team principal of the F1 division by the end of August. Bruno will be in charge of all other motorsport activities of the Renault Group at Viry-Châtillon. A new team principal will be announced in due course."

On the cards for a while. Alpine/Renault are in F1 for the branding and nothing else. Its why they had such a brain drain a season or two ago. People were fed up and mgmt didn't care about winning in F1. Taking part was good enough.

I think eventually a customer team will win the constructors and drivers championship. Then that old adage in F1 about not being able to win the big prizes unless your a works team will no longer be true.

Alpinei s poised for a further shake-up of its Formula 1 operation, with Hitech F2 and F3 boss Oliver Oakes expected to become its new team principal.
With the French manufacturer squad undergoing huge change amid a push by new F1 advisor Flavio Briatore, it appears that no stone is being left unturned in its bid to get back to the front.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...-with-oakes-tipped-to-replace-famin/10638697/

More realistic times in FP2 now. The mercs seem off the pace. RedBull, Ferrari and McLaren all seem quick and pretty similar in times.

Interesting seeing the breakdown of parts used by each driver. The RB teams chewing through exhausts & Max mostly ahead of his competitors on most components used. Wonder if the RB teams rotate parts in the pool a lot more, or they just have worse degradation.

Alpine look terrible :lol:

Home Setup

Nice set up. Knocks mine into a cocked hat. And there’s not many that do that, given mine cost about $20k, PC build included.

Meanwhile in F2, Antonelli is quite convincingly beating Bearman now that he is more comfortable with the car.

What do you play? Iracing?
Iracing, F1 2024, and Dirt Rally primarily.

I got into sim rig racing because of F1, but made the step up to iRacing. I used to primarily use a VR headset in my rig but more recently have been using a 55” curved monitor just above the steering wheel base.

My cockpit is the Playseat Formula Intelligence, Mercedes version. Which set me back about 3k with import and shipping.

https://www.playseatstore.com/product/playseat-formula-intelligence-black

I went with the Logitech G Series Pro wheel base and pedals. Which are second to none in terms of wheel base quality, true force feedback, and plug and play compatibility; but which is suffering in its eco-system due to a lack of a dedicated F1 rim. I’m being patient, but will eventually jump to a simucube pro or ultimate, if they don’t expand their ecosystem soon.

The monitor is a Samsung 57” Odyssey Neo G9, because of the extreme curve. It’s really unparalleled for this application. The rig is a 2023 build that set me back about $10k, powered by an overclocked i9-13900ks (the premium silicon version), and a GeForce 4090. Whole thing is custom liquid cooled, including the GPU. Hand built by me (not an endorsement on quality!).

Even in VR I can get 120fps on ultra settings.

I have two 39” curved Dell monitors on my desktop, one in landscape, one in portrait, for work and other gaming applications, and a third dedicated 57” Samsung for the sim rig.

If I could start all over again I may have built it differently, gone with a different wheel and pedal system, primarily for the eco-system; but I certainly don’t have any regrets. I haven’t driven in another sim rig that I prefer yet, and I’m pretty tapped out in terms of what is justifiable to spend on such a system.

I usually do 3/4 or full length GPs at this point. So rarely do more than 1 or 2 a week because of the time requirements. I might do some quick time trials now and then for fun.

I got into sim rig racing because of F1, but made the step up to iRacing. I used to primarily use a VR headset in my rig but more recently have been using a 55” curved monitor just above the steering wheel base.

My cockpit is the Playseat Formula Intelligence, Mercedes version. Which set me back about 3k with import and shipping.

I went with the Logitech G Series Pro wheel base and pedals. Which are second to none in terms of wheel base quality, true force feedback, and plug and play compatibility; but which is suffering in its eco-system due to a lack of a dedicated F1 rim. I’m being patient, but will eventually jump to a simucube pro or ultimate, if they don’t expand their ecosystem soon.

The monitor is a Samsung 57” Odyssey Neo G9, because of the extreme curve. It’s really unparalleled for this application. The rig is a 2023 build that set me back about $10k, powered by an overclocked i9-13900ks (the premium silicon version), and a GeForce 4090. Whole thing is custom liquid cooled, including the GPU. Hand built by me (not an endorsement on quality!).

I have two 39” curved Dell monitors on my desktop, one in landscape, one in portrait, for work and other gaming applications, and a third dedicated 57” Samsung for the sim rig.

Holy shit dude, I thought you were joking! That's ridiculous, but I like the dedication.

I like playing Gran Turismo and F1, but I am not PS4 and on a controller! In the future when I get PS5(when GTA is out).

Do you compete online?

If I could start all over again I may have built it differently, gone with a different wheel and pedal system, primarily for the eco-system; but I certainly don’t have any regrets. I haven’t driven in another sim rig that I prefer yet, and I’m pretty tapped out in terms of what is justifiable to spend on such a system.

I usually do 3/4 or full length GPs at this point. So rarely do more than 1 or 2 a week because of the time requirements. I might do some quick time trials now and then for fun.

Unreal set-up man! I'm sure that is heaps of fun to play.

Holy shit dude, I thought you were joking! That's ridiculous, but I like the dedication.

I like playing Gran Turismo and F1, but I am not PS4 and on a controller! In the future when I get PS5(when GTA is out).

Do you compete online?
Haha, definitely not joking! I’m serious about this shit! When I get a moment I’ll upload some pics of the rig in action. I started out with a controller on PS5, then went to the wheel and pedal set with a collapsible stand, then migrated to PC after the new build. Then went full bore with the formula 1 cockpit imported from Germany etc etc. I compete in Autocross racing in real life, and so the racing bug bit me a long time ago; but sim racing is considerably cheaper than doing it in real life, so ended up going more and more that route. It’s amazing how realistic it is with a high end set up. I have looked into loading the entire rig on to a motion platform, but to do it right is probably another $8-10k, which is just too much. Not for me, but for the missus.
Unreal set-up man! I'm sure that is heaps of fun to play.
It really is. It’s a bonkers set up. Took a while to put together, but totally worth it. As said above, I’ll post pictures at some point.

I gave the rig its own dedicated sound system, which I placed under the seat and around the periphery of the rig. It really helps with the immersion of it all. Doing it in VR is absolutely insane, but the coding on F1 isn’t good enough yet to produce quite the experience I was hoping for. The set up itself is more than capable of handling it, but EA’s VR engine is subpar. My current headset is a valve index, but I’ll be upgrading to the Index 2 when it eventually comes out. Looked at several other headsets but few offer a significant upgrade over the original Index, which is still one of the best headsets out there, especially for viewing angles. Luckily the 57” curved monitor provides an enormous field of vision at the distance I have it (really close), so I haven’t been missing the VR at all. It’s also much more comfortable for long GPs of 50 laps or more,

I hate it when people give me ideas in what new way to waste my money.

Max Verstappen may have been handed a 10-place grid penalty, but that pales in comparison to the punishment Yuki Tsunoda has received from the FIA.

It had already been reported that Verstappen was expected to take a grid penalty for taking a fifth internal combustion engine unit, taking him past his allowance for the season.

The iconic Spa track offers plenty of overtaking opportunities and is often a place where teams bring new components.

But Verstappen's decision to take a new ICE unit means he will drop 10 places on Sunday's starting grid.
That could leave him with too much to do to try and catch the likes of Lando Norris, Oscar Piastri and Lewis Hamilton.

However, he will have an easier task than RB's Tsunoda who has been handed an unprecedented 60-place grid penalty.

The Japanese star has brought in a fifth ICE, turbocharger, MGU-H and MGU-K as well as his third energy store and third set of control electronics for this weekend.
Any time a driver exceeds the allocation of any of the seven power unit elements, they are automatically given a 10-place grid penalty.

Tsunoda exceeded his allocation on six of the changes made to his car, resulting in the 60-place grid penalty.

Max Verstappen may have been handed a 10-place grid penalty, but that pales in comparison to the punishment Yuki Tsunoda has received from the FIA.

It had already been reported that Verstappen was expected to take a grid penalty for taking a fifth internal combustion engine unit, taking him past his allowance for the season.

The iconic Spa track offers plenty of overtaking opportunities and is often a place where teams bring new components.

But Verstappen's decision to take a new ICE unit means he will drop 10 places on Sunday's starting grid.
That could leave him with too much to do to try and catch the likes of Lando Norris, Oscar Piastri and Lewis Hamilton.

However, he will have an easier task than RB's Tsunoda who has been handed an unprecedented 60-place grid penalty.

The Japanese star has brought in a fifth ICE, turbocharger, MGU-H and MGU-K as well as his third energy store and third set of control electronics for this weekend.
Any time a driver exceeds the allocation of any of the seven power unit elements, they are automatically given a 10-place grid penalty.

Tsunoda exceeded his allocation on six of the changes made to his car, resulting in the 60-place grid penalty.
That's just absurd. They don't carry over to the next race though, right?

That's just absurd. They don't carry over to the next race though, right?
Don't think it does which is why it makes it all a bit pointless, in fact he's probably at an advantage going forward now.