F1 2024 Season

wake up hobbers new ep of grill the grid just dropped

Surely Yuki can't be that stupid?

Edit: surely most of them can't be that stupid?

Last edited:
Look like the brakes went or something on the rear axle. Good driving from Maylander to spin it.

First chicane change

IMG-0676.jpg

he’s nearly ready for the seat alongside max. probably overqualified if anything.

Red Bull/Verstappen not looking impressive once again.

Let's assume for a moment RB did have to take something off their braking system - can I presume then that what they had was akin to torque vectoring seeing how they have difficulties turning and not necessarily the slowing down itself? And if it is that - wouldn't adjusting the brake bias be able to compensate for part of that?

Must be extremely frustrating for Max since entrance and exit is clearly his thing so to have to reduce his aggression there is a big nerf. Only alternative then seems to be for RB to adjust for more low drag and increase top speed which may help Max with the way he exits a corner, but would probably murder Checo's ability to stay on track.

Last edited:
Neither RedBull drive set a competitve laptime. max will be up the front of the grid somewhere when qually ends tomorrow.

Is he Renault mtorsport strike likely to affect Alpine this weekend? According to the BBC, the vast majority of employees won't be working. That feels like it will impact the team away from the circuit.

Let's assume for a moment RB did have to take something off their braking system - can I presume then that what they had was akin to torque vectoring seeing how they have difficulties turning and not necessarily the slowing down itself? And if it is that - wouldn't adjusting the brake bias be able to compensate for part of that?

Not really. Brake bias just adjusts the weighting of the brakes between the front and the back. The rumoured system would allow a car to automatically adjust the weighting from left to right and for the car be set up in whatever way and not really suffer too much with understeer or oversteer as the system would correct it. The net gain with something like that is that tyre wear is vastly improved and the fact that the Red Bull looks like it's turning like an ocean liner and burning through tyres would suggest there may be some mileage with RB running a braking system.

McLaren ran something similar, albeit a manual pedal, in 1997 before Darren Heath's infamous picture let the cat out of the bag.

Is he Renault mtorsport strike likely to affect Alpine this weekend? According to the BBC, the vast majority of employees won't be working. That feels like it will impact the team away from the circuit.
One could argue that based on their performances this year, Renault have been on strike all season. They've confirmed that no track operations will be affected this weekend.

Not really. Brake bias just adjusts the weighting of the brakes between the front and the back. The rumoured system would allow a car to automatically adjust the weighting from left to right and for the car be set up in whatever way and not really suffer too much with understeer or oversteer as the system would correct it. The net gain with something like that is that tyre wear is vastly improved and the fact that the Red Bull looks like it's turning like an ocean liner and burning through tyres would suggest there may be some mileage with RB running a braking system.

McLaren ran something similar, albeit a manual pedal, in 1997 before Darren Heath's infamous picture let the cat out of the bag.
This is what I hate about F1, complete lack of transparency. If something that was once legal has now for whatever reasons been deemed illegal, let us i.e. the fans know.

We had AM start last season. ( I think) strongly for first few races only to drastically fade away because there was something illegal on their front wing (I think).

The Ferrari alleged oil burning when vettel was driving was kept a secret by the FIA.

I understand that teams push the envelope of the legality boxes and spend alot of r&d time and money on innovations. Sometimes stuff slips through the net and eventually the FIA catch-up and deem it illegal.

But when we have dramatic drop off in performance, I think as fans, we have a right to know what caused the dramatic dropoff. Otherwise it leads to unfounded speculation which helps no one.

This is what I hate about F1, complete lack of transparency. If something that was once legal has now for whatever reasons been deemed illegal, let us i.e. the fans know.

We had AM start last season. ( I think) strongly for first few races only to drastically fade away because there was something illegal on their front wing (I think).

The Ferrari alleged oil burning when vettel was driving was kept a secret by the FIA.

I understand that teams push the envelope of the legality boxes and spend alot of r&d time and money on innovations. Sometimes stuff slips through the net and eventually the FIA catch-up and deem it illegal.

But when we have dramatic drop off in performance, I think as fans, we have a right to know what caused the dramatic dropoff. Otherwise it leads to unfounded speculation which helps no one.
Hard to disagree with that. It's kind of funny that in a way this is a constructors sport but as each season goes along FIA is trying it's darndest to turn into a spec car competition instead. Not sure what the magic answer is but like so many other things in F1 at times- it makes the whole thing seem very staged. Either let the teams go wild and unleash all their ingenuity, or make it more of a spec sport from the beginning of the season rather than these constant mid season changes to regulation and tracks.

Antonelli confirmed for Mercedes in 2025 replacing Hamilton
Hmmm...I wonder if totto's hand was forced to confirm that early by yesterdays crash.

Massive season for Russell next season,l and potentially the one after can't afford to be out qualified by antonelli next year or beaten on points. Not with verstappen's potential move to Merc in 26 or more likely 27.

Antonelli has been hyped as a young Hamilton / Verstappen level talent. Hope totto doesn't ruin the boy. We know totto is still miffed about letting a young Verstappen slip through his fingers, but too much pressure on antonelli too soon could destroy the boy.

Hmmm...I wonder if totto's hand was forced to confirm that early by yesterdays crash.
I think it was always planned to be announced in Monza due to his nationality.

Both him and Russell's contracts expire at the end of next season, so it'll keep discussions open with Verstappen for a potential move away from Red Bull.

So is Russell under a bit of threat? Surely if Max wants Mercedes they aren't going to not want to sign him, so who makes way for him?

So is Russell under a bit of threat? Surely if Max wants Mercedes they aren't going to not want to sign him, so who makes way for him?
I would say Russell is under more pressure now. Wolff said he made his mind up on Antonelli five minutes after Hamilton told him he was leaving for Ferrari, so I think he's clear on the long term future of the team. If Verstappen is available for 2026 then I would think it would be to replace Russell than Antontelli, unless Antonelli has an absolute disastrous first season and sits at the back of every race.

Massive season for Russell next season,l and potentially the one after can't afford to be out qualified by antonelli next year or beaten on points. Not with verstappen's potential move to Merc in 26 or more likely 27.

Antonelli has been hyped as a young Hamilton / Verstappen level talent. Hope totto doesn't ruin the boy. We know totto is still miffed about letting a young Verstappen slip through his fingers, but too much pressure on antonelli too soon could destroy the boy.

The plan was always Monza, I think they wanted to get him to P1 at some point in the practice session to add to the hype a bit. The pieces about him pushing above the car’s limit in other corners before the accident were bizarre. I think Antonelli is a huge talent but I do think Wolff is being a bit weird with him in a way that might prove some detriment to his career. If Russell has a good year next year and Verstappen is available and Antonelli doesn’t set the world alight, then what?

Doesn't look good for Red Bull, clearly look the 4th quickest right now. They have to hope Mercedes and Ferrari can keep the McLarens from the top spots

I cannot decide who to pick for fantasy, Max used to be able to magic something out the car even if toiling but it seems now it's that weak he can't

Lando always let's me down if I put him on pole :lol:

Mercedes are unpredictable too

You then have the dilemma of which of the mid to low top 10 slots you give to Perez...

I would say Russell is under more pressure now. Wolff said he made his mind up on Antonelli five minutes after Hamilton told him he was leaving for Ferrari, so I think he's clear on the long term future of the team. If Verstappen is available for 2026 then I would think it would be to replace Russell than Antontelli, unless Antonelli has an absolute disastrous first season and sits at the back of every race.

It'll be really interesting to see what they do if both George and Kimi A have a good season next season - can you turn down the option of Max if he's available?

Could that then put Charles under threat at Ferrari and Max go there. Aston Martin as a wild card if Adrian Newey goes there and they get their shit together and Alonso retires?

Sounds like Daddy Verstappen has a huge amount of input

something has difenatly affected the RB cars, from total dominance to being in effect 3 or 4th fastest on the grid, its not just others improving.
Watched a lot of their onboards during pre season testing, and the first race especially, to gauge how the new concept impacted them. The car was definitely understeery compared to the RB19, which made me believe this season would be a bit more open with Ferrari and Mercedes winning some races. The tyre deg was still absolutely the best of the field.

But Zandvoort was on a whole different level of understeer, makes it seem a totally different car though it had the original floor. Even Verstappen believes the car wasn't this bad at the start of the year. They went for a high downforce setup and yet they had worse deg than others, it's incredible how bad they have become at it

Watched a lot of their onboards during pre season testing, and the first race especially, to gauge how the new concept impacted them. The car was definitely understeery compared to the RB19, which made me believe this season would be a bit more open with Ferrari and Mercedes winning some races. The tyre deg was still absolutely the best of the field.

But Zandvoort was on a whole different level of understeer, makes it seem a totally different car though it had the original floor. Even Verstappen believes the car wasn't this bad at the start of the year. They went for a high downforce setup and yet they had worse deg than others, it's incredible how bad they have become at it
It just seems like they have gone backwards, their upgrades have not worked.
The other teams were always going to catch up, but did not think they would improve.
Agree their tyre deg has always been decent.

I wouldn't bet on anything yet based on P3 times, they are pretty similar to last year P3 times and the cars are much quicker than last year. It seems that everyone is playing ganes in practices, expecting much better times in qualifying.

Btw watching F2, F2 cars are so much tougher, lots of touches and pushing between the cars and nobody race is ruined aftter every touch.