F1 2024 Season

Piastri isn't going to get the drivers title, in this position and on these points Merecedes wouldn't even have debated giving Hamilton the win to prioritise the championship.
I just can't see anyone close down 76 point lead, if we had like two or three races to go and the gap was down to 10 points then I can understand the call but this was just unnecessary.

It’s got to dampen your first race win when it’s been so publicly handed to you rather than actually earned.

Both Mclaren and their drivers are very amateur, nowhere near Red Bull yet.

7 different race winners this year, guess who's missing among the top teams?

Anyways as I stated at the start of the year, this year was going to be a lot closer and it would come down to the upgrades. McLaren's are working wonderfully well. RedBull's...not so much despite them bringing so many of them during this European leg.

Didn’t Lando play himself though. If he’d given the place back when asked, he’d have had multiple laps to try and take first place back on track.

Standings:
Red Bull - 389
McLaren - 338
Ferrari - 322
Mercedes - 241

Verstappen - 265
Norris - 189
Leclerc - 162
Sainz - 154
Piastri - 149
Hamilton - 125

Didn’t Lando play himself though. If he’d given the place back when asked, he’d have had multiple laps to try and take first place back on track.

Good point. I think Oscar is a great driver. But Lando is just a step up. They had the same aged tyres ? And Lando pulled away

I just can't see anyone close down 76 point lead, if we had like two or three races to go and the gap was down to 10 points then I can understand the call but this was just unnecessary.
12 races to go. Vettel closed down a 50 point lead at summer break against alonso and that was a shorter season, anything is possible (even if a remote possibility).

That's Mclaren's fault. They should own it but they didn't. They sacrificed Norris to keep in Piastri good books despite fecking up.
They would discussed the move prior to pitting, both sides of the garage have agreed to do it on the basis Oscar will take the lead once he has pitted, you can't just say nah feck It I'm in a title fight I am staying ahead now.

Probably, but Red Bull are struggling at the moment and need to turn it around a bit in the next 5 races for it not to be pretty close.

I doubt McLaren would have allowed that.
They’ve always allowed their cars to race previously. I can’t see them telling someone going for the title that he couldn’t go and race against his team mate.

Mistake 1 by McLaren was to pit Norris first. That created the issue.

Mistake 2 by McLaren was to put Norris in a position that would destroy their drivers’ relationship. The team should have left them as they were, which frankly would have been for them, and dealt with it behind closed doors.

69 points without the strategy call, with Max’s lead having been slashed by 18% in one race.

Of course it’s unlikely but there’s 11 races and 286 points still to play for. Max is quite capable of doing all sorts of crazy stuff if Red Bull’s performance continues to go backwards. You have to put every bit of pressure on him and see what happens.

This podium is just award, Lewis looks more pally with the strategy guy from Mclaren than their own drivers.

Well done to Oscar winning - a real talent. Also well played Lando too - feel bad for him as he should have won a couple of races recently. Amazing defence by Lewis! Watching races now not boring for sure.

Good point. I think Oscar is a great driver. But Lando is just a step up. They had the same aged tyres ? And Lando pulled away
I mean, Piastri was told not worry about Norris, while Norris just kept pushing like crazy, while Piastri managed his pace and tyres assuming he will be given the place back.

Norris might be the faster driver right now, but also remember he’s had much more influence in car development by virtue of being there longer. And Piastri has only been in F1 for 18 months or so. Maybe in off the mark, but I do wonder if the team sees something in Piastri that made them think twice about letting it be with Norris in front today.

Alonso was told to let Stroll pass so he could attack Yuki as Stroll was on new tyres, and Stroll was meant to give the position back on the last lap and refused.

The trophy/vase is absolutely horrendous looking thing. There are some lovely looking ones and for Piastri’s first win he has one that looks like it has his nans ashes in

Norris might be the faster driver right now, but also remember he’s had much more influence in car development by virtue of being there longer. And Piastri has only been in F1 for 18 months or so. Maybe in off the mark, but I do wonder if the team sees something in Piastri that made them think twice about letting it be with Norris in front today.

Yeah, you are giving them way too much credit there. Today’s were the actions of a weak team who are used to running in the midfield and being “nice”. There was no deeper thinking going on.