F1 2024 Season

How do you plan on getting a team with racing standards into F1?

there are plenty of them. just look at the ones that allow their drivers to race each other and look to have two competitive drivers in the seat at the same time.

I think it was a combination of him being a bit childish, but also of him not dealing with his anger about the last pit stop because he also made several other errors we haven’t seen him make for quite a while now.

it’s easy to perform under no pressure. like many have said, he doesn’t look to have matured or learnt anything from 2021. it’s a shame he won it that year, as his penalties for reckless driving costing him the championship might have forced him into a modicum of introspection. looks like it’s same old max when he doesn’t have a car that’s a second a lap faster than everyone else. which is a massive shame, as he’s clearly the best driver of this generation, and in with a shout to be the best ever. time is never kind to dickheads though. he could end up with 20 championships and people will still rate the likes of senna ahead of him.

you can still have an edge and be spiky without being a spoilt brat. max isn’t getting those lessons from those around him. he’s just being told everyone else is wrong.

Sounds like an alternate reality. Whenever a team with the fastest car has two competitive drivers the team dynamic always disintegrates rapidly. Just ask McLaren/Alonso and Mercedes/Rosberg.

agreed that you don’t want the two best drivers on the grid in the same car as each other, but there’s some good middle ground between that and being happy with a driver that’s not quite so clearly number 2 when it comes to car set up, and means when you have a tangle with another car, a puncture, a penalty and a bodged pitstop, that the second driver finishes ahead of you at the end of the race. it’s just something else max doesn’t need to learn to be an adult about.

it’s easy to perform under no pressure. like many have said, he doesn’t look to have matured or learnt anything from 2021. it’s a shame he won it that year, as his penalties for reckless driving costing him the championship might have forced him into a modicum of introspection. looks like it’s same old max when he doesn’t have a car that’s a second a lap faster than everyone else. which is a massive shame, as he’s clearly the best driver of this generation, and in with a shout to be the best ever. time is never kind to dickheads though. he could end up with 20 championships and people will still rate the likes of senna ahead of him.

you can still have an edge and be spiky without being a spoilt brat. max isn’t getting those lessons from those around him. he’s just being told everyone else is wrong.

Yes it’s definitely a weakness and will eventually bite him in the arse!

verstappen expects gaps to be left and drivers to go out of their way to accommodate him and his race when he overtakes, and he expects the same when he’s defending. he’s like the kid with the ball at school, and he’s the only one allowed to take the penalties or score any goals. if anyone else does, he takes his ball and leaves.

he’s a phenomenal driver but he’s a massive twat. defending him or his actions doesn’t help him. he would massively benefit from leaving red bull, but i’m not sure his ego will ever let him admit he did something wrong. so going to a team with racing standards might be off the cards.
You really think Merc would tell him to stop being him? That's exactly why they want him. Only massive benefit Merc has is that it's PR/media machine to spin things more positively is far more powerful than RBs.

Also: @rimaldo talking about how he ll never be compared to the likes of Senna if he s a brat. Surely even you don't believe that. He seems to generally very well liked off track. Don't confuse the actions on track and demonize an entire person. By all accounts his own post race response has shown he is much more mature than he used to be. If anything, Lando showed a lot more immaturity this time around. But that's expected regardless. They re still 20 something year olds. We literally had some of the greats looking for fist fights on more than one occasion and demonizing the other driver to great degrees after the races. Today is very tame in that sense.

If you take sports this personal maybe you should step away for your own mental health.

Last edited:
Lewis has 7 WDCs and most people still dont hold him in the same regard as Senna, so not sure what sort of resonance that's supposed to have anyway.

I dont know how anyone gets invested in this sport without realising that all F1 drivers are brats and divas. Lando is probably the moodiest, mardiest brat on the grid right now. But why wouldnt he be? He's a 24 year old F1 driver from a family with over £200m net worth.
All good points.

Senna has some mythical deity status in the sport but at least I'm glad some more folks have come around to saying that he was far from being a symbol of purity himself. Time does weird things, and yes - the fact he died in the saddle helped his legacy in that sense. Schumacher, Lewis, Seb and Max will all be more fondly remembered when they are no longer with us. Unfortunately.

verstappen expects gaps to be left and drivers to go out of their way to accommodate him and his race when he overtakes, and he expects the same when he’s defending. he’s like the kid with the ball at school, and he’s the only one allowed to take the penalties or score any goals. if anyone else does, he takes his ball and leaves.

he’s a phenomenal driver but he’s a massive twat. defending him or his actions doesn’t help him. he would massively benefit from leaving red bull, but i’m not sure his ego will ever let him admit he did something wrong. so going to a team with racing standards might be off the cards.
Would like to see statements like these backed up. Surely it can't be based on this race where Max had to avoid Norris several times (and then somehow blaming Max for it on the radio as well, which was just weird), or the race before where Norris pushed Max on the grass at the start and they joked about it afterwards with Norris saying he left Max "plenty of space" but he refuses to react and screams bloody murder when Max squeezes him this time around. So based on the last two races it seems to me like it's Norris who's been expressing the type of behaviour you're describing here and not Max.

The truth is it's racing, and racers want to win. They hate it when they don't. And when the pressure is on and you're fighting for the lead in F1, you're probably not going to be your nicest self. Comes down to personal preference which type of cnut you prefer I guess. I mean, even when they aren't really racing they can be hot headed cnuts. You just have to look back at FP3 of last week (Spain) where Leclerc purposely drove into Norris and Stroll into Hamilton just because they were in the way a bit on a push lap.

It's Norris' fault. He should've been more patient and kept trying for a better exit at turn 3. I reckon he'd have got him on the straight eventually. Divebombing like a lunatic wasn't the right move here.

Are you dutch?
Why are some people always assuming Max fans are Dutch by definition? Even if someone is - the notion he is not popular is patently false. A big marketing study done by F1 itself even a few years ago before he went on a winning spree showed he has a huge following especially for someone who doesn't spend any real time with social media or many other promotional engagements. Anecdotally perhaps - but out of the 20 or so people I know in my immediate e surroundings here in the US who are into F1 - 18 or either long time Red Bull fans, 15 or so of those because of Max, some bc of Seb before it too, and probably 3 bc of Checo.

Why are some people always assuming Max fans are Dutch by definition? Even if someone is - the notion he is not popular is patently false. A big marketing study done by F1 itself even a few years ago before he went on a winning spree showed he has a huge following especially for someone who doesn't spend any real time with social media or many other promotional engagements. Anecdotally perhaps - but out of the 20 or so people I know in my immediate e surroundings here in the US who are into F1 - 18 or either long time Red Bull fans, 15 or so of those because of Max, some bc of Seb before it too, and probably 3 bc of Checo.

My bad. I should have white texted. I was running on the ongoing thing that Max isn't likeable unless somebody is Dutch, which as you say isn't true. It wasn't a good joke in hindsight.

Needless to say I'm with you because Max is pretty likeable imo. He's competitive, a bit childish, but it's hard not to respect his craft because he's such a fecking good driver.

It's Norris' fault. He should've been more patient and kept trying for a better exit at turn 3. I reckon he'd have got him on the straight eventually. Divebombing like a lunatic wasn't the right move here.

I watched it live and some of the replays and did not see anything that could be realistically called a lunatic divebomb.

No. What I did see was an increasing tendency to Max using borderline dangerous tactics to stop Lando getting by. Supported by the fact that Max was adjudged to be at fault of causing a collision.

When under pressure, Max reverted to type. Plain and simple.
And that is the option of Martin Brundle who's opinion I respect.

I watched it live and some of the replays and did not see anything that could be realistically called a lunatic divebomb.

No. What I did see was an increasing tendency to Max using borderline dangerous tactics to stop Lando getting by. Supported by the fact that Max was adjudged to be at fault of causing a collision.

He even forced Verstappen off track the previous lap or two, maybe you missed it? Turn 3 is the worst place to overtake someone, if you're faster then you just have to be close and take the better exit, not lunging in, from the outside at that. The penalty was ridiculous too, they gave something that was nothing - 10 sec so they actually didn't punish Verstappen at all.

Norris fecked himself.

Edit: also about the FIA/Race control and penalties, that's the worst possible argument. They fecking make it up as they go along, even gave Verstappen a title that one time (you may remember), and you're saying he was "adjudged". Right.

Last edited:

Lunatic divebomb is a bit strong but Max had to dodge him once which is when Norris went off completely, overtook Max and was forced to give the position back and the other time he barely managed to keep it on track but left absolutely no room for Max forcing him to go off. Believe it was lap 59 and 63. Norris locked up a bit both times but still blamed Max on the radio both times which was weird. If Max had done what Norris did for the crash and stood his ground during any of these moments he would have had far worse damage than a puncture that's for sure. Before these incidents there was one incident where I think Max moved under braking which was in lap 55. Don't remember any other potentially illegal moves from Max but if you know of any let me know.

Moments are shown on the F1 channels official race highlights here:

My bad. I should have white texted. I was running on the ongoing thing that Max isn't likeable unless somebody is Dutch, which as you say isn't true. It wasn't a good joke in hindsight.

Needless to say I'm with you because Max is pretty likeable imo. He's competitive, a bit childish, but it's hard not to respect his craft because he's such a fecking good driver.
Thanks for clarifying. All good!

When I think back to all the incidents in F1 since the late 80s, this Max Lando thing wasn't much on either side. Lando's first real scrap at the front and coming of age to harden up a bit, set his stall out and also learn from to think about a cut back or sell Max a dummy as Max in general does defend really well by placing his car without leaving the door open as much as others. Max has really fined tuned himself on the simulators, Lando had the pace to not have to resort to going deep outside on that sharp corner.

Lando is coming on really well, very fast and uses the tyres well like a younger Hamilton, it's great to see.

When I think back to all the incidents in F1 since the late 80s, this Max Lando thing wasn't much on either side. Lando's first real scrap at the front and coming of age to harden up a bit, set his stall out and also learn from to think about a cut back or sell Max a dummy as Max in general does defend really well by placing his car without leaving the door open as much as others. Max has really fined tuned himself on the simulators, Lando had the pace to not have to resort to going deep outside on that sharp corner.

Lando is coming on really well, very fast and uses the tyres well like a younger Hamilton, it's great to see.

Great post.

Looked at in isolation, sure. Given the history of one of the drivers involved I do think it says a bit about him. Max closed the door on the outside after Lando had already stepped through it, that's hardly clever placement. Max drives F1 like it's a simulator sometimes and wonders why things like this happen.

Interesting read from Jonny Herbert, one of the stewards who gave Max the penalty. Basically if you want to beat Max you have to be just as aggressive back

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/286898/fia-steward-herbert-saw-intent-with-verstappen-and-norris.html

F1 NEWS
FIA steward Herbert is clear: 'Verstappen acted on purpose, he intimidates'
Today at 13:00
  • Nicole Mulder
Former Formula 1 driver Johnny Herbert, now a steward at the FIA, was partly responsible for the decision to give Max Verstappen a 10-second time penalty for the crash with Lando Norris in Austria. Herbert explains how that decision came about.

Herbert saw intent in Verstappen: 'He intimidates'
As far as Herbert is concerned, there should be no doubt who was responsible for the incident. " It was Max’s fault. He is a hard racer. He is very, very hard to beat. He intimidates everybody. That intimidation is something that Lewis Hamilton. Michael Schumacher, and Ayrton Senna, have always done," he indicates in his column for Coin Poker.

According to Herbert, the only way to beat Verstappen is to put up a fight and not back down. "Lando did the right thing. He did not move. He did not have to. Some people said he could have moved. But that is not how you beat Max or how you win the Grand Prix," he judged.

Herbert does not think Verstappen should change
" It is deliberate which is why I use the word intimidation where he goes to the very limits without getting himself in trouble. But he has always had this in his history. Everyone has been reminded just what is in Max’s makeup. Is he going to change? No. That is not his way. And he is right not to," the 60-year-old Briton says firmly. "I think he needs slightly to temper it."

Herbert, therefore, does not expect anything to change in the Dutchman's mindset or approach. " Probably not. It will not change the way he goes racing. No driver before, like Michael Schumacher, never changed their approach. And I don’t want him to. I find it really exciting. It is just when he gets to that point, he can only blame him," Herbert said.

All good points.

Senna has some mythical deity status in the sport but at least I'm glad some more folks have come around to saying that he was far from being a symbol of purity himself. Time does weird things, and yes - the fact he died in the saddle helped his legacy in that sense. Schumacher, Lewis, Seb and Max will all be more fondly remembered when they are no longer with us. Unfortunately.

Yeah I have to agree, even though I wasn't around when Senna was racing, I read a lot about him after watching his documentary, and even wrote an essay for my SATs on Senna. I don't see any difference between the somewhat prat-ish demeanour Max shows at times vs how Senna behaved when things weren't going his way and even Schumi was like that sometimes. I'd say even Lewis and Alonso had that side to them sometimes and so did Prost. I think this kind of thing is par for the course when you're a competitive racing driver, I don't hold anything against Max (or anyone else on the paddock including Lando) for doing stuff like this, I personally enjoy it. Senna and Prost blatantly took each other out of races to win championships on two occasions, this was Max's fault last weekend but it was nowhere near as bad as those Senna-Prost incidents.

At the end of the day, Schumi, Lewis, Seb and Max should and will join those all time greats with no asterisks to their names - I don't personally see the point in trying to have a GOAT debate around the likes of Senna, Fangio, Sir Jackie etc. along with these newer drivers like we do with other sports, because F1 has evolved so much. All were great drivers who mastered their craft during their eras.

Also on this particular incident with Max, Peter Windsor (who's not a Max fan or anything) makes a great point about how the racing line in this specific corner in Austria, can tend to push you a bit wide. I'd chalk this down to a bit of racing even though it is still Max's fault, rather than some kind of pattern with Max - It'd be the same if any other driver did this, as I think Sainz did to Max last year?

Last edited:
McLaren stoking the fire this evening...

Classy from McLaren again :lol:

Not the best analysis either. He's right about the first two incidents but the third one he's lost the plot. He says Norris gets the braking "spot on" while he's locking up and going straight. Then he's had to go back 5(!) years to find an incident of someone getting pushed off the track and there not being a penalty, in this case Max, where when you look at that incident I think we can all agree Max should have got a penalty there judging by today's standards at least. Two wrongs doesn't make a right and again it was 5 years ago. "You're looking for consistency from the stewards", yeah but you don't want them to consistently get it wrong do you. :lol: If you want to look for recent examples you only have to go back to the sprint race in the same weekend in Austria where Hulkenberg does something similar to what Norris did, late dive down the inside, locking up a bit and going straight but just about managing to keep it on track but forcing Alonso off and he got a 10 second penalty for that incident.

or it’s a clear pattern with max and even if it’s not his direct fault in any given corner or impact, the fact you can’t trust him to not move under braking, or not drive like a bellend, means contact is eventually inevitable.

Enjoy the peace and quiet in this thread for a little bit folks, hobbers got a temp ban :lol:

or it’s a clear pattern with max and even if it’s not his direct fault in any given corner or impact, the fact you can’t trust him to not move under braking, or not drive like a bellend, means contact is eventually inevitable.

What's this even a response to?

Enjoy the peace and quiet in this thread for a little bit folks, hobbers got a temp ban :lol:

What for? Don't see any warnings or anything wrong with his last couple of posts in this thread

What's this even a response to?

What for? Don't see any warnings or anything wrong with his last couple of posts in this thread
Nah it wasn't for anything in this thread. He was taking several threads off topic constantly bitching about ETH. Mods finally had enough.

The Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team today announced the appointment of Andy Cowell as Group Chief Executive Officer as part of its ongoing journey to become Formula One World Championship contenders.

On 1 October 2024, Andy Cowell will join the team as Group Chief Executive Officer reporting to Executive Chairman Lawrence Stroll. Current Group CEO Martin Whitmarsh will be handing over responsibility before the end of the year. Andy was most recently the Managing Director at Mercedes AMG HPP.

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB...-andy-cowell-as-group-chief-executive-officer

On the subject of Cardile, an Aston Martin spokesperson said: “The Aston Martin F1 team is a very appealing project with Lawrence Stroll’s vision, a state of the art new Technology Campus and exciting partnerships.

“Many high-profile individuals across all areas of the team are linked to the project but we don’t have anything to announce.”

Last edited:
McLaren stoking the fire this evening...

They are correct on all counts. I hope more teams are more open with their complaints, forces the FIA to finally take this stuff seriously.

Tech analysis of RedBull upgrades and McLaren at Austria. RedBull have more updates for Silverstone.

""..Another big upgrade package is expected for Silverstone, which could really be a watershed for the current F1 season: if the engineering team led by Pierre Wachè will be able to make it work as expected straight away, then we could come back at seeing some dominant races (on specific circuits) as happened at the beginning of the year, while if rushes to find the right set-up during free practices continue, then there’ll be a concrete chance for McLaren to challenge Red Bull at least in the Constructors’ Championship...."

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/2868...-on-equal-terms-with-the-rb20-in-austria.html

s10e06_720.jpg

Be interesting to see who out of Ocon, Kmag and Bottas get the other Haas seat.

Ocon is trouble and not a good teammate. Bottas is solid if uninspiring but will get more out of the car than Kmag. Kmag is the known entity but doesn't maximise the cars potential as hulkenberg demonstrated.

Last edited: