F1 2021 Season

They should have let all cars pass but we all want to see racing though? You rather have it finish behind the safety car. Feels strange to want that as a racing fan.

Feels strange to want a 1-sided lap to decide the title then too, no?

Or do you think changing the rules to have allowed Hamilton to pit and have them both on a fair 1-lap shoot out would be a step too far?

Soooooo, why didn't Hamilton pit like Max?

Because he’d have lost track position when the rules dictated that the race should’ve finished behind the SC, therefore throwing away the championships

Why are they complaining about it now then?

edit: I do agree about the unfairness but that’s always been the case. The way people are going on about it is as if they all of a sudden created a safety car today.
They are not to be honest. People have complained about it for years.

Todays issue is with the application. Or non application of the SC withdrawal rules.

Seems to me though the rules are ambiguous and Mercedes won’t win. The rules only say all cars needs to unlap themselves if all cars are told to.

They already had 55 laps of racing and Hamilton was miles ahead. The arbitrary the last lap has to be a racing one is nonsense.

That happens all the time in formula 1. It’s terrible luck but Verstappen had his fair share of that too this season.

Why are they complaining about it now then?

edit: I do agree about the unfairness but that’s always been the case. The way people are going on about it is as if they all of a sudden created a safety car today.
They didn't apply their own rules when allowing 5 cars to unlap themselves so they could have a last lap race.

no matter what is decided, it’s not going to fix what happened today. it’s like this old family saying we have, “you can’t unfeck the turkey, rimaldo, christmas is ruined.”
Thanks for that …Christmas turkey will from now on never taste the same.

Because if the rules had been followed, they anticipated that the race would have finished behind a safety car.
No they simply didn't want to risk the fact that the race MIGHT finish under the SC. It wasn't a decision about the rules but probabilities at the time and since Hamilton had already passed the pit entry.

That happens all the time in formula 1. It’s terrible luck but Verstappen had his fair share of that too this season.
It's beyond luck they literally disregarded the rules so they could have a shoot-out last lap for a bit of spectacle. That isnt sport.

Well that's the argument the FIA would no doubt use.

Because the order was very specific about which cars unlap.

It throws up all sorts of questions though about the future rules. Who decides what cars unlap? On what basis?
Theres still the issue of SC not coming in the next round, but the same one

I feel like either the Judgment of Solomon is coming - cut the WC in half.
Or that 2 wrongs actually make a right.

I am joking by the way.

No they simply didn't want to risk the fact that the race MIGHT finish under the SC. It wasn't a decision about the rules but probabilities at the time and since Hamilton had already passed the pit entry.

Hence the word "anticipated".

If he did, max stays out and wins.
Not necessarily. Would have actually ended up a shoot out both on softs for one lap. Merc had no way to know that though. They played the probabilities