EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's rich and poor. But the poor have blamed the foreigners for their problems instead of the government.
your right, but it very hard to do something about the government, i mean the conservatives got in with 35% last time, and even if you get labour things don't change.

so many seem to have used this as statement to try and kick the establishment.....

People saying xenophobia didn't play a big part in leave voters motivation is simply not true. Ive got several leaflets from the leave campaign with immigration issues all over the front page including the infamous Iraq/Syria map leaflet. Then you just have to look at the political background of the people who run the official leave campaign and the things they have been saying.

Unfortunately far right politics is on the up and a further recession will only give them more popularity, as a minority with a young child i am deeply concerned about the future.

EDIIT: this is not about the economy either because things have been improving over the last few years, the economy was actually growing. So you have to ask yourself what was the real motivation for leaving?

It would be racist and xenophobic to answer those questions based purely on the information you've given us ;)
touche :p
Actually I think they have more to lose. Just basing off the financial crisis and how the poor generally seemed to have done worse out of that. Rich people have the money to adapt.
you might be right, the rich generally lose more money, but losing any money hurts the poor more.

but i do think telling poor people who have been kicked by the economy year after year and have very few workers rights on things like zero hour contracts, to vote to save these things was a massive miscalculation..... but then hindsight is a glorious thing

Which just shows how the EU has totally failed then.

Yes. That as well. Like i said previously sad that the Uk made that decision but feeling relief for some of the choices i made in my professional life in a recent past. Hard times ahead but i don't share the extreme doom and gloom in some views. Everyone will end adapting to these new circunstancies. But i'm happy i don't have to live in a country which will be potencially led by freaking Boris Johnson

The bashing of elders is odd. If their quality of life was better before the EU, then fair fecks to them for voting against the EU. Time to stop this romanticised 'European unity' crap. Trade agreements were there before the EU and will be there after the EU.

People saying xenophobia didn't play a big part in leave voters motivation is simply not true. Ive got several leaflets from the leave campaign with immigration issues all over the front page including the infamous Iraq/Syria map leaflet. Then you just have to look at the political background of the people who run the official leave campaign and the things they have been saying.

Unfortunately far right politics is on the up and a further recession will only give them more popularity, as a minority with a young child i am deeply concerned about the future.

The amount of things I got through my door that said Turkey was definitely joining the EU was staggering.

Lies won out, pure and simple.

Personal moan: I've voted in two general elections, two local elections, two crime and police commissioner elections, one EU referendum, one AV referendum, and one EU parliament election.

Thanks to FPTP/the British public/the area where I live — the only one of those elections in which I have been represented/won is, yep you guessed it, the EU parliament elections as they have proportional representation. Democracy sucks.

touche :p

you might be right, the rich generally lose more money, but losing any money hurts the poor more.

but i do think telling poor people who have been kicked by the economy year after year and have very few workers rights on things like zero hour contracts, to vote to save these things was a massive miscalculation..... but then hindsight is a glorious thing

The Remain campaign to me looks to have been so over-the-top in its scaremongering that the people it needed to persuade simply couldn't be arsed to listen to what it had to say any more.

The Remain campaign to me looks to have been so over-the-top in its scaremongering that the people it needed to persuade simply couldn't be arsed to listen to what it had to say any more.
and they just didn't have an answer on immigration, whether you think its an issue or not, the remain campaign just didn't address the issue, and just carried on banging on about an economy that isn't working for a lot of people.

i know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but that was just a terrible tactic

How has that harmed the have nots? Do you mean it's taking away opportunities from all the type of people who have been living off benefits most of their lives because they're too feckin bone idol to do a decent days work in their miserable feckin lives? I'd say let's exchange them for people from other countries who are willing to work hard and provide a positive contribution to society!
That's typical haves rhetoric. The Polish are generally hard workers, but for most the reason they are working in Western Europe is that they can sell their labour cheap because the cost of living in their own country is much lower. This leads to the situation that a British worker with a British priced house and a British cost of living has to work for Polish wages to compete, and has therefore much less money to spend.

It's not much more complicated than that and it's good for the haves and bad for the have nots. Because the EU is not democratic, it is and will be used by the haves at the cost of the have nots. The EU is the answer of the haves to democracy, with all it's bad things like good wages, affordable housing, decent working hours etc. The freedom of employment is dragging the situation of workers down towards the level of the poorest EU country, which gets richer, Polish are sending 1 billion from the British economy home to Poland each year, but that's why the EU keeps expanding with poor countries. It's not like they try to convince the Norvegians or Swiss to join with a democratic EU for example.

It's not like they try to convince the Norvegians or Swiss to join with a democratic EU for example.
Both countries accept free movement of workers. Which both adds to what you are saying, and takes away from it I guess.

and they just didn't have an answer on immigration, whether you think its an issue or not, the remain campaign just didn't address the issue, and just carried on banging on about an economy that isn't working for a lot of people.

i know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but that was just a terrible tactic

They can't say anything about immigration that will placate the people bothered by it because they think the economy needs immigration at the moment. No one who has a decent chance of being PM is actually planning to reduce immigration any time soon - I'd put money on that. So in my opinion lying won. Like it did in the general election (twice) when the Tories said they'd reduce it and ended up increasing it (which they then blamed on the EU, the cnuts that they are).

I'm pretty sure that leave voters don't know or care about the EU and this was just a vote against the establishment, a vote against neo liberal politics that has seen austerity grip the EU countries.

Based on that opinion, I am absolutely dismayed that EU politicians are shocked at the result, wtf did they think would happen if you keep ignoring real people???

I am fairly confident that if Cameron had told Osborne to give the working class people a massive tax break at the last budget, they would have voted remain. That's how people work, that's how they think, that's how they have always thought. If I see pricks like Cameron as part of the EU and his government is ignoring me, then of course I would vote against.

That's typical haves rhetoric. The Polish are generally hard workers, but for most the reason they are working in Western Europe is that they can sell their labour cheap because the cost of living in their own country is much lower. This leads to the situation that a British worker with a British priced house and a British cost of living has to work for Polish wages to compete, and has therefore much less money to spend.

It's not much more complicated than that and it's good for the haves and bad for the have nots. Because the EU is not democratic, it is and will be used by the haves at the cost of the have nots. The EU is the answer of the haves to democracy, with all it's bad things like good wages, affordable housing, decent working hours etc. The freedom of employment is dragging the situation of workers down towards the level of the poorest EU country, which gets richer, Polish are sending 1 billion from the British economy home to Poland each year, but that's why the EU keeps expanding with poor countries. It's not like they try to convince the Norvegians or Swiss to join with a democratic EU for example.
The drivel you are spouting has been debated and debunked over and over in the last 70 pages yet your ill informed side of the argument still won, do you think maybe you could shelve all the lies and xenophobic claptrap for now and just leave us to wonder how the feck we get out of this mess you idiots have put us all in.

Not sure if it's been posted yet but I just came across this. The actual video clip is in the tweet below. Yikes. :nervous:

Totally gutted about this result.Glad that Cameron resigned early .He messed up big time with this. All the sound bites for leave are over . Now they have to deliver.

Tosser has at least got one thing right, they are elected to make these decisions and have had the public do their job for them.

Boris eulogising David Cameron is akin to Bin Laden starting a blog on the beauty of the architecture of the WTC on 12th September 2001.

They can't say anything about immigration that will placate the people bothered by it because they think the economy needs immigration at the moment. No one who has a decent chance of being PM is actually planning to reduce immigration any time soon - I'd put money on that. So in my opinion lying won. Like it did in the general election (twice) when the Tories said they'd reduce it and ended up increasing it (which they then blamed on the EU, the cnuts that they are).
i think if a party doesn't cut immigration now, they won't be winning the next general election.

but i guess your right their is nothing the stay campaign could of said to address immigration.

How many UK nationals do you know are out of work because of immigrants taking jobs? The truth is there aren't any. Nor are there any in the rest of the EU. The truth is that these low paid jobs are done by immigrants because nobody else wants to do that type of work no matter what the wage is. That's the truth.

Michael Gove looks like any minute his face is going to break away to reveal the lizard within.

Immigration will sort itself out now the economy is going to go to shit and there are no more jobs for the bloody foreigners to steal.

No there's isn't a fecking plan at all.

We don't even know who's going to make the plan that doesn't exist yet to lead us through this mess since Cameron had no desire to leave in the first place and his position as PM has taken a massive hit anyway.

Are those pushing for leave some kind of wizards or something!? How the feck they managed to sell leave package to people without any ideas what to after if they win Oo.

It's laughable Gove talking about Cameron and equality. We are more divided than ever before.

i think if a party doesn't cut immigration now, they won't be winning the next general election.

but i guess your right their is nothing the stay campaign could of said to address immigration.

They will promise to cut it before the election and then not do after they win the election..

Immigration will sort itself out now the economy is going to go to shit and there are no more jobs for the bloody foreigners to steal.

I love the cognitive dissonance which occurs around this issue; immigrants always seem to simultaneously take all the jobs and all the benefits.

Lying always wins in politics... which is why I always thought Leave would win.

Whoever prepared Boris' speech (both the written and the instructed tone) did well. His auditions for PM are over on that evidence no matter what we say or do here...