EU Referendum Results Thread | Leave have won, Cameron resigns

How did you vote to this: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 321 75.5%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 80 18.8%
  • Spoiled ballot

Votes: 24 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Referendum isn't legally binding from what I've heard but disobeying the results would be political suicide. Doesn't go through a parliament vote.

You have returned.:drool:

It's just me and 3 Poles in work tomorrow, I'm concerned they're going to get deported and leave me to do all the bloody work.

:lol: Don't worry. I'm sure you can get a job controlling the borders.

Many MPs would only be implementing a Leave mandate with reluctance, so even if it weren't wrong in a practical sense, they're not going to go with the last option.

Revoking the ECA could arguably be the more sensible option, because it doesn't have a time scale. If we miss the deadline to sort shit out it would mean we could just decide to put back the action. Whereas if we miss it under the Article 50 route it requires unilateral agreement from member states which probably won't happen.

Of course, the electorate will view that as stalling and probably would prefer the definitive timescale of going the EU route, even if we ended up worse off.

Haven't followed this at all being but can someone please tell me one main advantage of remaining and one main advantage of leaving ?

9k votes in favor of leave right now. 50.1% to 49.9% !! Insane stuff.

Liverpool result was okay for remain, on target. But when leave is smashing their targets its not really enough.

It's not actually binding, but there's no way they'll back out. Shame really.

Oh, didn't know it wasn't legally required, but like you say, they aren't gonna go against it, I would laugh if they did though.

Serious question because I'm clueless.

After the referendum does it then have to go through a vote in parliament? Could the House of Lords say "get to feck you bunch of twunts we are staying"? How does it work?
No chance of this being rejected by parliament.

Never mind my feeling about the result.

It's quite remarkable that half the country is going to be ignored at the end of all this.

Revoking the ECA could arguably be the more sensible option, because it doesn't have a time scale. If we miss the deadline to sort shit out it would mean we could just decide to put back the action. Whereas if we miss it under the Article 50 route it requires unilateral agreement from member states which probably won't happen.

Of course, the electorate will view that as stalling and probably would prefer the definitive timescale of going the EU route, even if we ended up worse off.

The ECA cannot be repealed without invoking Article 50 as a matter of international law, so best to work out the Article 50 timetable first. There is also the issue of what needs to be done with the 2000+ Acts which incorporate elements of EU Law. More money for the lawyers I guess.

Will that extend to their desires to extend their stay? I mean, one of my closest friends is looking to do a three year degree in London. That'll be largely useless for him if he's subsequently sent back home, once he's done.
i can't see them been booted out just becuase they decide to do a degree.

plus if he been here a while he will be able to apply for British citizen, also if he is studing to do a degree he might be considered a skilled worker depending on what he is studying.

all in all though i would think your friends is safe i wouldn't sweat it

Lindsey Lohan should have tweeted about the Scottish referendum. Highlight of the night só far

Read the whole thread. @Damien is doing an awesome job, thanks for the numbers and overall your posts, simply world class. How close is this vote? Jeez. :)

Even places like Gloucester voting leave 58:42

Not at all surprised, Gloucester is down the road from me and it's another place with a combination of lots of people who aren't too well off who want change and a dislike of immigrants. I was expecting them to leave.

For so long I never understood why London didn't like the North, now I do.