Erik ten Hag vs Sancho | Sancho back in full training

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that I believe this is best handled by the captain, not the manager. It’s easier for the captain to put an arm around the player and ask why they are not training as hard.

If Keano was his captain, and Sancho wasn't training hard, he'd not get an arm around him, he'd get hands round his throat.

I'm fairly sure Bruno would be angry at players not training hard, especially if they don't produce it on the pitch either. I reckon most players at United don't want to piss about, they want to win. It's a short career, and there's no guarantees you'll get multiple contracts at the top clubs (our recent past excluded).

We've unfortunately got too many half-arsed players that aren't driven to succeed, and it can only be good for the club if they're moved on.

Guardiola said Phillips was overweight and Nunes had a poor touch. Both players on big transfer fees, who had barely played a game for City at the time. Not a single word from either player during that period.

ETH indirectly said Sancho was not training up to standard and a full social media post came out saying he lied, insinuated there was other reasons and that he was a scapegoat

This is the same ETH that took Garnacho off 2022's pre-season tour for lateness, dropped Rashford (our best player mid season) for being late to a team meeting and subbed Garnacho off at half time citing how we lost the ball in his channel, which lead to conceded a goal a few months back. Let's not mention playing McT ahead of Casemiro early last year, leaving Varane on the bench this year etc. None of them said anything.

Could ETH have done things differently to not let Sancho throw his tantrum? Yes of course he could have. He could have said nothing and just let Sancho be and do whatever he want.

He gave Sancho a 3 month break during the most congested fixture-list season ever, then showered him with praise when he came back and gave plenty of time for him to get back into rhythm during 22-23. Then in 23-24, he was giving the same performances as he has most of his time, which is 'meh'. Most people would agree ETH deserves to be moved on for the results on the pitch we've seen this year but to put majority or even equal blame for the Sancho situation is ridiculous.

Sancho got exactly what he wanted by being stubborn and unprofessional: paid full wages, sitting on the side and not playing for months, moved to a team he was previously loved in a league against worse opposition and after putting in a few decent games and highlights, is being heralded as some plucky underdog by the ABU media.

Last edited:
The main issue for me is not what was said or who didn't apologize to whom or whatever. The main thing is that in his time here Sancho looked totally unsuited to this league. He doesn't have the pace, strength or the desire to fight it out in this league week in and week out. On top, he is seems totally oblivious to his own weaknesses and thinks he is being persecuted. He needs to leave.

BVB are sneaky fecks who'll try to get him on a loan as they realize that we come from a position of weakness given the astronomical wages we handed to him. It is up to us to stand firm and call their bluff if they really want the player.

Last edited:
McCarthy explaining things make it clear that Sancho was being deliberately obtuse about things. ETH just wanted an apology for social media post.

And was he successful at United? Did we see any of that despite trying several approaches and a couple of managers?

Many players (most in fact) can’t cope at United. Let him play for Dortmund then for a fee.

There’s difficult and then their is unprofessional. Becks, Keane, Cantona and Ruud I can’t remember ever being considered unprofessional.

Why are you even bringing up Antony? Is it to try and distract from the fact your arguments around Sancho are weak and so you need to deflect elsewhere to maintain a foothold?

The fact is Sancho has a history of unprofessional behaviour, he behaves unprofessionally for us, publicly goes to war with the manager over a minor comment that the manager is well within their rights to make and loses because according to Benni “if you’re from the streets no one wants to apologise”.

Sancho was an incredibly talented young player, failed at United and at 24 is acting like an arrogant teenager in trouble at school and trying to deny wrongdoing in the hopes his teacher backs down. I’m glad Ten Hag held firm. I’d hope any manager would because that mentality from Sancho is not winning us titles regardless of who is manager.
I really struck a nerve there haha.

My point is that there are two sides to every conflict. Ten Hag has now reportedly fallen out with Ronaldo, Sancho, DeGea, Varane and Casemiro. The last three have been lauded as ultimate professionals everywhere they have been.

There are Youtibe videos of Ten Hag berating players and falling out with others at Ajax. Check out the training videos.

For you and @VP89 I expect you are going to jump to the rescue of any criticism of Ten Hag. It’s what you do. No matter however deluded or irrational, you’re there.

He’s stubborn. Especially with tactics.
he’s opinionated. Especially on “his” players (Antony, Onana, Martinez, Mount, Malacia, Weghorst,etc.)
He’s just guided us to the worst finish ever in the PL with a negative G

Are we now saying that someone who lost 3-0 to Bournemouth at home, 4-0 to Palace, 7-0 to Liverpool is the shining beacon of man management in modern football?

‘Sancho was wrong. But it doesn’t mean Ten Hag was right. We don’t know what went on. We didn’t see training. We know that the season after Sancho was bought, Ten Hag immediately spent 80m on an absolute shit player for his position of RW. If you can’t see why playing Antony over Sancho is a validation of Ten Hag, then you’re naive.

People want professionalism before everything else.

Before a ball is kicked, there is a minimum expectation, and sancho failed in that - your named players didn't.

And Antony being accused of sexual assault doesn't make him guilty, what a dimwit post that has feck all to do with sancho.
Wait. So, three women accuse Antony of sexual assault. It’s he said, she said. You say there’s not enough evidence to convict. Ten Hag accuses Sancho of not training well, Sancho disagrees, you immediately discount Sancho’s version. There’s now 170 pages of the ten Hag/Sancho conflict, there’s very few pages of Antony’s issue. You’ve posted non stop about Sancho. “He should never play here again!” Yet Antony is given a free pass? Both for shit play and being investigated for charges of sexual assault?

Both are attacks on a player’s character. I find it funny that you are so one-sided against Sancho but don’t care if Antony is shit or accused of assault.

‘Again, not condoning Sancho’s handling of the situation, just pointing out that both are character issues.

BTW, for my money, Antony is so shite, I’d rather have lazy Sancho there in his spot as at least he can pull out moments of brilliance now and again.

The main issue for me is not what was said or who didn't apologize to whom or whatever. The main thing is that in his time here Sancho looked totally unsuited to this league. He doesn't have the pace, strength or the desire to fight it out in this league week in and week out. On top, he is seems totally oblivious to his own weaknesses and thinks he is being persecuted. He needs to leave.

BVB are sneaky fecks who'll try to get him on a loan as they realize that we come from a position of weakness given the astronomical wages we handed to him. It is up to us to stand firm and call their bluff if they really want the player.

Sancho should be a similar player to Bernardo Silva. Similar attributes but our style of play was ill-suited to his strengths. You kind of want him to get the ball in the box or near it not trying to carry the ball from deep or running in behind.

Sancho should be a similar player to Bernardo Silva. Similar attributes but our style of play was ill-suited to his strengths. You kind of want him to get the ball in the box or near it not trying to carry the ball from deep or running in behind.
He got it plenty in and around the box and did nothing. Im sure the club and tactics played apart but he is also a player who didn’t produce under 3 managers so I also sure he was part of the problem. When you add the fact he was visibly not tracking back/ pressing in games earlier this season when played its hard to make excuses for him.

I personally think we should move him on due to his wages. He is a very talented player but even this loan at Dortmund he has not been that great (if anyone bothered to watch and not go by this PR around him) so Im not fussed and Id rather have Garnacho and Olise (or a couple other talents) on less wages and who can be more versatile

With INEOS apparently wanting a strong British core of players, I wonder if Sancho will be back next season?

I'd happily have him on the right instead of Antony.
Just curious as to why? They both have the exact same number of appearances for United- the difference is Sancho has one more goal and more assist than Antony in the same number of games. Also, it's pretty obvious Antony works a lot harder in terms of tracking back and defensive duties so that's a small point in his favor.

Both have been extremely poor signings.

Just curious as to why? They both have the exact same number of appearances for United- the difference is Sancho has one more goal and more assist than Antony in the same number of games. Also, it's pretty obvious Antony works a lot harder in terms of tracking back and defensive duties so that's a small point in his favor.

Agreed. I’d rather have Antony, and that’s not a compliment to him.

Guardiola said Phillips was overweight and Nunes had a poor touch. Both players on big transfer fees, who had barely played a game for City at the time. Not a single word from either player during that period.

ETH indirectly said Sancho was not training up to standard and a full social media post came out saying he lied, insinuated there was other reasons and that he was a scapegoat

This is the same ETH that took Garnacho off 2022's pre-season tour for lateness, dropped Rashford (our best player mid season) for being late to a team meeting and subbed Garnacho off at half time citing how we lost the ball in his channel, which lead to conceded a goal a few months back. Let's not mention playing McT ahead of Casemiro early last year, leaving Varane on the bench this year etc. None of them said anything.

Could ETH have done things differently to not let Sancho throw his tantrum? Yes of course he could have. He could have said nothing and just let Sancho be and do whatever he want.

He gave Sancho a 3 month break during the most congested fixture-list season ever, then showered him with praise when he came back and gave plenty of time for him to get back into rhythm during 22-23. Then in 23-24, he was giving the same performances as he has most of his time, which is 'meh'. Most people would agree ETH deserves to be moved on for the results on the pitch we've seen this year but to put majority or even equal blame for the Sancho situation is ridiculous.

Sancho got exactly what he wanted by being stubborn and unprofessional: paid full wages, sitting on the side and not playing for months, moved to a team he was previously loved in a league against worse opposition and after putting in a few decent games and highlights, is being heralded as some plucky underdog by the ABU media.

Spot on.

EtH did what he had to do as head coach and as a someone in charge, Sancho simply behaved unprofessionally and I think he knew what would happen and he wanted it to happen (being banned from first team then loaned out) he doesn't want to be at the United which is ok and I hope he is sold and never brought back

Agreed. I’d rather have Antony, and that’s not a compliment to him.
Brutal but fair :lol: . I find it quite staggering that they both have the same number of games played for us-82 games- and have almost identical goals and assists when both cost something like 160 million combined. How do we end up wasting so much money?

I'm still in the ETH out camp but maybe not quite as strongly as I was. I just don't see any coherent pattern for the future. If that's on me then fine if he stays and improves things.

However I am far more in the certain players have let him down and have to be sold camp whether it is attitude, laziness or ability. Sancho and Antony are disasters. Hell I was just as against Maguire but I'd keep him as rotation now due to the spirit he's shown in adversity.

Biggest issue is we can't sell those that need to go due to wages.

Brutal but fair :lol: . I find it quite staggering that they both have the same number of games played for us-82 games- and have almost identical goals and assists when both cost something like 160 million combined. How do we end up wasting so much money?

Good question. I think the best value we might get from Sancho is as an example that we won’t have the tail wagging the dog, and that teams can’t fleece us just because we’re short on options. Let him play FIFA and waste a few years of his career :lol:

Anyone who favours Sancho in this whole mess would have no chance of dealing with today's pampered players.

It's not like Sancho had shown any sort of form for us before this anyway.
Semi paced, semi interested, one of the all time worst signings. Even by our standards.

He got it plenty in and around the box and did nothing. Im sure the club and tactics played apart but he is also a player who didn’t produce under 3 managers so I also sure he was part of the problem. When you add the fact he was visibly not tracking back/ pressing in games earlier this season when played its hard to make excuses for him.

I personally think we should move him on due to his wages. He is a very talented player but even this loan at Dortmund he has not been that great (if anyone bothered to watch and not go by this PR around him) so Im not fussed and Id rather have Garnacho and Olise (or a couple other talents) on less wages and who can be more versatile

I’m not trying to make excuses for him at all. He’s been a massive failure.

He just always seemed like a player who should be able to help break down a low block. I remember watching Van de Beek and Sancho and thinking those two actually looked like they could play a pass and move style in and around the box. They just didn’t really fit in with the transition/counter attack style we predominantly had under Ole. They both lack the athleticism to cover the ground in that system.

The three managers Sancho played under:
1. Ole
2.Rangnick
3.Ten Hag

:confused:

That's not quality managers list at all to get the best out of Sancho.

The closest was Ten Hag using him as a false 9 in pre season and i say performances fits in with the quality of the manager.

Sancho's general play and footballing IQ is streets ahead of Antony's, in my opinion.

Sancho was clueless at the final, but reached it. I think is enough for us to fleece either P$G or UEFAlona (they always can find a lever) 60 million euros and fund Olise’s signing.

There are a lot of things ETH has got wrong, but his management of Sancho is not one of them.

100% correct

I dislike Sancho and his behaviour so much that I found myself cheering for Real Madrid last night. Mind you, there are a lot of things about Dortmund that I don't like besides Sancho.

One is a model pro and the engine inside his team, the other is manbaby Sancho.

He isn't similar player at all. BSilva has amazing close control and his work rate is insane. That makes it easier for any manager to play him as winger or CM.

Sancho doesn't have close control anywhere near BSilva and his technical ability is overrated.

Unfortunately his performance last night won’t add anything extra to his transfer value.

He ends the season with 1592 mins of football 3 goals and 3 assists. This equates to a goal contribution every 265.3 mins (roughly 1 in 3 games).

Sell him. Reinvest.

New coach or not, we need to sell him. It was the right decision to let him go and BVB would have been in the final anyhow

I think even Amad is ahead of him in the pecking order. So the only way he has a future here is if Rashford is on his way out and we need a more senior left winger to give Garnacho some competition.

Supporting ETH on this. Sancho should leave. Hopefully his performances in the CL convince some potential buyers

Sancho losing is probably the best thing that could happen for his career, lest he paper over the cracks. He's gone backwards over the last 3 years, and nowhere near the England squad. He's lucky Dortmund "know" him and didn't mind a 6 months subsidised loan when they were languishing in the table. Otherwise he'll find not much demand for someone on massive wages who hasn't performed for 3 years and with an attitude issue.

I really struck a nerve there haha.

My point is that there are two sides to every conflict. Ten Hag has now reportedly fallen out with Ronaldo, Sancho, DeGea, Varane and Casemiro. The last three have been lauded as ultimate professionals everywhere they have been.
Your point is bollocks because you've now made up who ten hag had falling outs with (outside of ronaldo and sancho there's feck all basis), and what we know for sure is sancho had a serious problem with his own professionalism. We also know ten hag bent over backwards for sancho more than we've seen any manager do.

There are Youtibe videos of Ten Hag berating players and falling out with others at Ajax. Check out the training videos.
This is a weird point to make to hit ten hag with, you think top managers don't do this? Also the entire Ajax squad loved ten hag. You can see the YouTube videos and interviews there too, but you probably won't.
For you and @VP89 I expect you are going to jump to the rescue of any criticism of Ten Hag. It’s what you do. No matter however deluded or irrational, you’re there.
I've criticised ten hag over many things but I don't blame you for 1) making shit up and 2) moving goalposts with deflection when you're struggling to make an actual point of substance.

He’s stubborn. Especially with tactics.
he’s opinionated. Especially on “his” players (Antony, Onana, Martinez, Mount, Malacia, Weghorst,etc.)
He’s just guided us to the worst finish ever in the PL with a negative G

Are we now saying that someone who lost 3-0 to Bournemouth at home, 4-0 to Palace, 7-0 to Liverpool is the shining beacon of man management in modern football?
Stop. Breathe. Go back to the debate. Stop deflecting and talking about unrelated matters. Sancho was not performing in training, allegedly. Now whether true or false he shouldn't be a div and go to Instagram like a tit. That doesn't end well, ever.

‘Sancho was wrong. But it doesn’t mean Ten Hag was right. We don’t know what went on. We didn’t see training. We know that the season after Sancho was bought, Ten Hag immediately spent 80m on an absolute shit player for his position of RW. If you can’t see why playing Antony over Sancho is a validation of Ten Hag, then you’re naive.
No one is saying ten hag was speaking biblical truth. We can only go by what we know. Sancho had previous issues with professionalism. Sancho has been called out at Dortmund for it. The England manager doesn't much rate him. Our own coach gave him the biggest help I've seen for a player to get their application straight by giving him a specialised training and a break from the limelight for 3 months.

Sancho also has a self confessed sleeping problem (and has been caught at late hours with his ps5 profile online). Sancho also was among the most frequent late comers in training.

Then we consider a standard line about Ten Hag answering a question why Sancho wasn't in the squad, which was he simply didn't do enough.

You can cover your ears and pretend it's all ten hag. You're free to do it, and then I am free to laugh at that.

Wait. So, three women accuse Antony of sexual assault. It’s he said, she said. You say there’s not enough evidence to convict. Ten Hag accuses Sancho of not training well, Sancho disagrees, you immediately discount Sancho’s version. There’s now 170 pages of the ten Hag/Sancho conflict, there’s very few pages of Antony’s issue. You’ve posted non stop about Sancho. “He should never play here again!” Yet Antony is given a free pass? Both for shit play and being investigated for charges of sexual assault?

Both are attacks on a player’s character. I find it funny that you are so one-sided against Sancho but don’t care if Antony is shit or accused of assault.

‘Again, not condoning Sancho’s handling of the situation, just pointing out that both are character issues.

BTW, for my money, Antony is so shite, I’d rather have lazy Sancho there in his spot as at least he can pull out moments of brilliance now and again.
I'm not actually entertaining this nonsense. It's such a fecking daft line of reasoning, trying to question Antonys professionalism because he was accused of sexual assault with charges dropped, and comparing that to Sancho, a player with known professionalism issues pre dating his move to United.

You are an emphatically bad poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.