Erik ten Hag vs Sancho | Sancho back in full training

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also only wanted an apology for Sancho’s social media post too, not for being lazy. Just a stupid situation all round.

Isn't that the only thing he actually wanted an apology for, his attack on Ten Hag via social media

He also only wanted an apology for Sancho’s social media post too, not for being lazy. Just a stupid situation all round.
Yeah a daft situation. Ultimately, even if ETH could have approached things differently this is down on Sancho. ETH hasn't been completely unreasonable on this one imo.

The initial comments were fine, I can see how Sancho may have taken it the wrong way but his reaction was unnecessary and added to the drama. Maybe ETH was too harsh but he couldn't just pretend that Sancho never put out the statement.

I think it's best he's sold but I'm not completely against him staying provided ETH and Sancho resolve their differences and if Ashworth/Wilcox think he should be given another chance.

Yeah a daft situation. Ultimately, even if ETH could have approached things differently this is down on Sancho. ETH hasn't been completely unreasonable on this one imo.

The initial comments were fine, I can see how Sancho may have taken it the wrong way but his reaction was unnecessary and added to the drama. Maybe ETH was too harsh but he couldn't just pretend that Sancho never put out the statement.

I think it's best he's sold but I'm not completely against him staying provided ETH and Sancho resolve their differences and if Ashworth/Wilcox think he should be given another chance.
Completely agree. EtH only answered a question, the answer was straightforward and JS threw a hissy fit. Had he just approached the manager to say he didn’t like the comment then nothing more comes of it.

It's pretty clear that Sancho is not cut out to be a United player, whether Ten Hag remains or not. Hopefully, Dortmund do us a favour this summer and make a decent offer.

Sancho's acting like an apology is tantamount to a guilty plea in a court room. There's no jail time for this bro, it's standard "kissing the ring." Who hasn't had to kowtow to a boss, whether or not the boss is correct?

That sort of "from the streets" stereotype is really dumb. Best of luck to him in the final. Clearly someone who wants to just be told they're special, as he probably has been most of his career and I think he's at a club and with a manger who can give him that. He's be wise to make sure the move happens.

What is this nonsens about streets. If you have done something wrong, you make apology. Simple. Shouldn't matter who you are. Grow up. To much ego in youngsters nowdays.

You are obviously not from the streets, so you could never understand.

Yes its petty, but I don't want him to win the Champions League so he can't then turn around and say "Look what I've achieved after telling ETH to F off, I win".

I'd prefer he finished the season trophyless, missed out on a FA Cup because he refused to fall in line and we sell him this summer with his tail between his legs.

Yes its petty, but I don't want him to win the Champions League so he can't then turn around and say "Look what I've achieved after telling ETH to F off, I win".

I'd prefer he finished the season trophyless, missed out on a FA Cup because he refused to fall in line and we sell him this summer with his tail between his legs.

That is pretty petty to be fair.

Unfortunately after Benni’s comments Sancho comes across poorly here.

Even when having had it explained what he did wrong, what exactly he would be apologising for etc he still wouldn’t over the equivalent of street cred.

Hang on, Ten Hag says he’s been dropped because of his performances in training, the. Sancho accuses the manager of lying & making him a scapegoat in social media and Ten Hag wants Sancho to apologise for posting that in social media, but Benni says Sancho won’t apologise because Sancho thinks it will be him admitting to be unprofessional. But Ten Hag wants Sancho to apologise for his social media post, and not because Sancho doesn’t agree with the reason Ten Hag dropped him for, right?

Hang on, Ten Hag says he’s been dropped because of his performances in training, the. Sancho accuses the manager of lying & making him a scapegoat in social media and Ten Hag wants Sancho to apologise for posting that in social media, but Benni says Sancho won’t apologise because Sancho thinks it will be him admitting to be unprofessional. But Ten Hag wants Sancho to apologise for his social media post, and not because Sancho doesn’t agree with the reason Ten Hag dropped him for, right?
Sancho moved himself into an impossible situation with that social media post. How do you apologize for that? "I'm sorry for calling EtH a liar in public, I should have done that face to face" isn't really an apology. And saying "I was wrong" makes it sound like he actually accepts EtH's point of view about training performances (which he obviously doesn't).

So I get the reasoning for saying "if he apologizes it sounds like he admits to being lazy and unprofessional". I can't think of an apology that wouldn't create that image.

@TheMagicFoolBus This is an example of what I meant.

Manutd have babies in their rank.. all Ten Hag wanted was an apology. Sancho didnt train well, ETH pointed it out as why he wasn't in the squad and Sancho threw his toys out, went on social media to get sympathy and play victim.

Tuchel is alot harsher on players. I want managers to call out players like Sancho who get paid all that and dont pull their weight but some of these players just cant hack a bit of criticism.

Even though I'm tired of Ten Hag, I still haven't changed my mind on this one. He was in the right, Sancho has acted like a spoilt brat.

I mean look at the comments from Benni, all Ten Hag wanted was an apology. After how Ten Hag treated and protected Sancho last season, he couldn't even train properly this season.

I watched the 99 documentary and Giggs mentioned that the training was more intense than match days, which is why when matchday came they were all at it. I have seen Sancho play and jog around in games, with 0 intensity.

No matter who was right or wrong, both are unfit for the club and should be let go this summer. Both are drama queens, a good manager should not exile the 1st team player that way and the player should not dish out the manager that way.

"On his performance on training, we didn't select him,"
Ten Hag said when asked about Sancho's absence from the squad against Arsenal.
"You have to reach the level every day at Manchester United. You can make choices in the front line so in this game he wasn't selected."

But following Ten Hag's comments in the post-match press conference, Sancho issued a statement on X, formerly known as Twitter, saying:

"Please don't believe everything you read!

"I will not allow people saying things that is completely untrue. I have conducted myself in training very well this week.

"I believe there are other reasons for this matter that I won't get into. I've been a scapegoat for a long time which isn't fair!

"All I want to do is to play football with a smile on my face and contribute to my team."

Sancho can’t see why his above post is wrong? He’s accusing his manager of using him as a scapegoat, lying and also implying other reasons are behind his lack of selection which fuels media speculation.

Idiotic.

There is nothing professional about what Sancho did with his social media post and refusal to delete for a while, and his refusal to apologise for it.

He's an idiot, and he's chronically unprofessional.

Who told him to delete it and how long did he refuse to delete it for, out of interest?

I'd been under the impression he realised his mistake pretty quickly and deleted it. I didn't realize it was up for day/s.

Who told him to delete it and how long did he refuse to delete it for, out of interest?

I'd been under the impression he realised his mistake pretty quickly and deleted it. I didn't realize it was up for day/s.
He left it up for days. I can't remember the exact time but he was stubborn and didn't delete it.

Remember he was dropped all together from the squad after his dickhead and pretty thick move to post scapegoating excuses on Instagram (I say thick because he barely changed the wording from when he used the same excuse at Dortmund when they called him out).

He wasn't banished for poor training. The punishment there was simply not starting a game.

He left it up for days. I can't remember the exact time but he was stubborn and didn't delete it.

Remember he was dropped all together from the squad after his dickhead and pretty thick move to post scapegoating excuses on Instagram (I say thick because he barely changed the wording from when he used the same excuse at Dortmund when they called him out).

He wasn't banished for poor training. The punishment there was simply not starting a game.
He was left out of the squad for poor training, it wasn't about starting or not.

He was left out of the squad for poor training, it wasn't about starting or not.
Sorry I mean to say dropped all together from squad (ie. Not even training with them).

He was left out of the arsenal match day squad for poor training, yes. But being completely banished was a consequence of his own idiocy.

No matter who was right or wrong, both are unfit for the club and should be let go this summer. Both are drama queens, a good manager should not exile the 1st team player that way and the player should not dish out the manager that way.

That's my sentiment too. This should have been done behind closed doors and not in the media. Yes, Sancho made the post but Ten Hag shouldn't have called him out either. He should be the better man. Things like this should be kept behind closed doors and not out in the open.

As for Sancho winning a possible CL... Brilliant, we need all the money we can get. Give us that CL bonus.

Did McCarthy have to wake him up in the morning to get these quotes? Or did he catch him in an Xbox party later that night?

And this type of reply is why I understand him not apologising.

Ten Hag’s comments mentioned nothing about having to wake him up or him playing video games, yet people went digging for things that supposedly happened earlier in his career to justify how they felt about him (which was largely rooted in his poor/underwhelming form) and act as if they know he’s wrong in this instance for a fact.

And this type of reply is why I understand him not apologising.

Ten Hag’s comments mentioned nothing about having to wake him up or him playing video games, yet people went digging for things that supposedly happened earlier in his career to justify how they felt about him (which was largely rooted in his poor/underwhelming form) and act as if they know he’s wrong in this instance for a fact.
It didn't supposedly happen, he admitted himself on the staying up late and sleeping in. Also has been spotted late night gaming with a YouTuber when we have a match.

He is absolutely wrong in this instance, there was no need for his statement and he's lucky SAF wasn't around because he'd be out the club, not even a chance of apologising. He is a chancer and has pissed his opportunity to play for the club up the wall. There's no excuses.

It didn't supposedly happen, he admitted himself on the staying up late and sleeping in. Also has been spotted late night gaming with a YouTuber when we have a match.

I said supposedly not because I doubt it happened or doubted you, but because I never cared to verify it because it isn’t relevant here outside of confirmation bias/character assassination, which is what I was trying to get across.

He is absolutely wrong in this instance, there was no need for his statement and he's lucky SAF wasn't around because he'd be out the club, not even a chance of apologising. He is a chancer and has pissed his opportunity to play for the club up the wall. There's no excuses.

Which is fine, but I disagree. There was no need for Ten Hag’s comments especially on the back of yet another loss. It did come off as scapegoating to me - and Sancho clearly feels it’s not reflective of reality. Funny you mention Alex Ferguson as he’s renown for not making comments about his players like that in public, probably the reason why many would run through a wall for him then and still call him “boss” today, because he was extremely protective of them even when unhappy of them. Ex United players almost trip at the chance of telling anecdotes of their poor behaviour, degeneracy even, and how Ferguson would move mountains to keep/discipline them in-house.

Sancho will be just fine. He’s a CL finalist and will most likely end up at a decent level/club. United is far from being the be all end all it used to be, and having a manager that regularly falls out with players in silly authoritarian trips, limiting his player options even further, and then produces 8th place league finishes doesn’t seem great long term strategy, but alas - these are the brakes and our reality right now.

Last edited:
Sancho moved himself into an impossible situation with that social media post. How do you apologize for that? "I'm sorry for calling EtH a liar in public, I should have done that face to face" isn't really an apology. And saying "I was wrong" makes it sound like he actually accepts EtH's point of view about training performances (which he obviously doesn't).

So I get the reasoning for saying "if he apologizes it sounds like he admits to being lazy and unprofessional". I can't think of an apology that wouldn't create that image.

You can disagree without it entailing that one party is lying, and there can be valid reasons as to why others maintained a higher level in training than Sancho did. If Sancho takes that spot in the squad it doesn’t necessarily mean the players who missed out are unprofessional.

yeah i was 50-50 on the champions league final but now i need Madrid to humble Dortmund down.

But he's from the streets !!

The idea of Sancho telling Benni McCarthy - a man who literally grew up in Hannover Park, Cape Town, where gangs and crime (and violent crime at that) is incredibly high - that he's "from the streets" ... is absolutely hilarious.

You can disagree without it entailing that one party is lying, and there can be valid reasons as to why others maintained a higher level in training than Sancho did. If Sancho takes that spot in the squad it doesn’t necessarily mean the players who missed out are unprofessional.
But Sancho did claim that that assessment wasn't correct, so that others did not maintain a higher level. Nothing about "valid reasons" for that, he completely dismissed it. It's impossible to apologize without giving up that position that EtH misjudged him. It's pure stupidity on behalf of Sancho that leads to this, but now he is in a spot where he can only double down or admit to being lazy.

Sancho doesn't have an amazing PR team. Hes just associated with United and the vast majority of fans will try and point and laugh at absolutely anything to do with us. We also live in the age of people having very strong and confident opinions they are happy to air despite being completely ungrounded in reality. Has a brilliant game in the CL semi-final and magically he is the second coming.

Its not about being right, its about getting that engagement in the moment. The vast majority of people who eat this crap up wouldn't remember if the people they follow gave complete opposite opinions from one day to the next.

But Sancho did claim that that assessment wasn't correct, so that others did not maintain a higher level. Nothing about "valid reasons" for that, he completely dismissed it. It's impossible to apologize without giving up that position that EtH misjudged him. It's pure stupidity on behalf of Sancho that leads to this, but now he is in a spot where he can only double down or admit to being lazy.

They can’t have differing views and him still agreeing to disagree?

At any rate I agree, he acted stupidly and he made his own bed. EtH has not said anything definite though, other than wanting an apology for his social media outburst. Even if it would look silly after this long, the door is open for him to show some humility, and if he shows effort on the pitch the fickle fans could easily forgive and forget.

They can’t have differing views and him still agreeing to disagree?
No, at least I can't think of a way to phrase that in a way so that Sancho saves his face in it (which he obviously wants). At least not in a way, that a bunch of fans won't misquote that and understand it differently than he intends.

Sancho has to go.

I'm sure Sir Alex fell out with many players, and even had quite a few arguments. But, if those players had held a grudge like Sancho, even if Sancho felt he was in the right, Sir Alex would have got rid of them ASAP.

Player power needs to go. If players are wanting to show fight and a strong will, don't focus that against the manager, a team mate of even the fans. Focus your efforts on the football pitch, to drive yourself to the best you can be, helping out your team mates and doing it for the fans. Best way to respond to a manager is to show him you are a top asset to the football team, not a liability who is likely to sulk at any point you face adversity.

And, the great thing about that is, if you put everything out on the football pitch, there is no better way to strengthen bonds between you and the manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.