Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
League Cup is a classic 'springboard' trophy. It's not on the same level as the other trophies but when you are building a squad it is a good one to get your mojo pumping

Yeah people have said that a couple of times. Its not really true for the most part but I've heard it said.

It was a terrible result and the second half display was depressing, but let's be honest it was a completely freak game where we could have run away with it first half and then everything went in for them in the second

There have been worse overall performances
Eh ?
Relatively even game from what I remember before we embarrassingly capitulated .

It was a terrible result and the second half display was depressing, but let's be honest it was a completely freak game where we could have run away with it first half and then everything went in for them in the second

There have been worse overall performances

Yeah that had a tight first half and that they won 1 - 0.

The Brentford game had a tight second half that they won 1 - 0.

Brentford game we had nearly 70% of the ball, more shots, more shots on target. Doubt you could say that against the Liverpool game.

Yeah, the 0-7 wasn't a true reflection of the match.

Then again, it wasn't an absolute freak result either. It told its story, you could say.

But anyway, with regard to tomorrow: the idea that he has to win in order to keep his job is obviously ridiculous. You don't judge a United manager on how "he" (i.e. the team he selects) performs against Liverpool.

Whether ETH deserves to keep his job will become clear in the coming weeks, it will not become clear tomorrow (almost regardless of what happens).

To be clear, if it were up to me personally, he would've been gone already. But that didn't happen, and now I very much hope that he'll prove me dead wrong.

(And I wouldn't mind it if he started to change my mind by totally humiliating Liverpool tomorrow - but, again, that single match doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.)

Have we all collectively scrubbed our brains of getting beat 7-0 by Liverpool?
He is talking about performance, that 7:0 game we were on par with them in first half and fell apart in second. Far from worst performance. Result doesn't reflect the game at all. One of the freakiest results I have ever seen.

Yeah, the 0-7 wasn't a true reflection of the match.

Then again, it wasn't an absolute freak result either. It told its story, you could say.

But anyway, with regard to tomorrow: the idea that he has to win in order to keep his job is obviously ridiculous. You don't judge a United manager on how "he" (i.e. the team he selects) performs against Liverpool.

Whether ETH deserves to keep his job will become clear in the coming weeks, it will not become clear tomorrow (almost regardless of what happens).

To be clear, if it were up to me personally, he would've been gone already. But that didn't happen, and now I very much hope that he'll prove me dead wrong.

(And I wouldn't mind it if he started to change my mind by totally humiliating Liverpool tomorrow - but, again, that single match doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.)

It doesn't mean all that much on it own, but a poor performance and result is going to really put the pressure on him. If the knives are getting sharpened after losing last weekend they will be out of we lose tomorrow no doubt.

Equally a good performance and result will ease the pressure. And give hope for a improved season from last season's debarcle.

The results important for bragging rights, but if anything the performance is far more important for ETH.

He blamed last season on injuries. How annoying indeed?!?.

So you think we should not be a team in transition? What are we then?

Challenging for PL and CL we are not, therefore we are in transition to get there where we belong. Challenging for everything.

No but the problem is the way things are we can't even be sure if we'll be challenging for top4 never mind the title. And I don't think anyone at the club or most fans envisaged that scenario in year 3 after the money we've spent over 5 transfer windows.

For sure it has. It was evident in the last 4 games that the team performances have improved. We beat City in a high stakes game under all the media scrutiny. Unlucky in Community shield. Beat Fulham and things just didn't go our away against Brighton. Apart from the results, they have actually played better and playing a lot more together as a unit. It's not perfect, but it is improvement.

An improvement of 8-12 points is a fair assessment.

I think you have to consider the circumstances. I'm sure Fergie was your first memory of a United manager, like most of us. Fergie, was simply a different breed. He had control of all aspects of the club, even when Malcolm Glazer took control. The problems United have, it wasn't a major concern with Fergie (in fans eyes) because United were successful on the pitch.

No United fan should be happy finishing outside of competing for the title. Whether than be finishing 2nd or 3rd if they don't win it. The fact of the matter is, United have fallen so far behind. United were, and I'm sure soon again, the benchmark of English football. They should be the standard - the team and club you aspire to be as good as.

We simply aren't that, right now. Finishing 8th is not good, 100% agree with that. The problem is, it was a long time coming. I'm happy to accept last season as a complete wake up call, it showed the reality of the level United are at. I'm also happy with this season, after clearing out 9 players and replacing them with 5 decent signings, to just do better than last season. The reason being, expectations have to be realistic.

If we finish worse than last season then yes, a serious decision should be made. I think CL qualification is a must and another trophy (any of the cups of EL) would be an improved season.

So if we finish 6th ot 7th we're satisfied?

We could have abandoned the high press to accommodate our back line. Ten Hag said he didn‘t want to change his strategy for the season because it would set back the progress.

You could argue the backline wasn‘t brave enough to step up.

Yeah we made loads of progress last season.

He is talking about performance, that 7:0 game we were on par with them in first half and fell apart in second. Far from worst performance. Result doesn't reflect the game at all. One of the freakiest results I have ever seen.
Just a thought...

Why can't we have such a freak result against Liverpool or City? Why?

Why is it, it only happens to us, 7-0 or 6-3 and not the other way around?

Just a thought...

Why can't we have such a freak result against Liverpool or City? Why?

Why is it, it only happens to us, 7-0 or 6-3 and not the other way around?
That’s a very good question. The last example of something like that would probably be our 8-2 win over Arsenal thirteen years ago. We beat Chelsea 4-0 five years ago, which is a bigger margin than losing 6-3.

That’s a very good question. The last example of something like that would probably be our 8-2 win over Arsenal thirteen years ago. We beat Chelsea 4-0 five years ago, which is a bigger margin than losing 6-3.
But we've also been beaten
Crystal Palace 4-0 Man Utd - May 2024
Brentford 4-0 Man Utd - August 2023

So the question persist, why is it easier for us to be beaten by 4 goals or more, yet we don't beat other teams by 4 or more goals...

Can't be always about freak result

We were on par in the second half against Brentford.

I still don't understand how he wants to set this team up.

He started here on a standard 4-2-3-1, then last season decided he wanted us to be a transition team, and now we're toying with a 4-2-2-2 as well as some false 9 shenanigans. Granted the latter could be down to his hand being forced because of injuries, but it feels like the team setup is in a constant state of flux.

The only consistent trend seems to be the huge gaps we leave in the middle of the pitch.

But we've also been beaten
Crystal Palace 4-0 Man Utd - May 2024
Brentford 4-0 Man Utd - August 2023

So the question persist, why is it easier for us to be beaten by 4 goals or more, yet we don't beat other teams by 4 or more goals...

Can't be always about freak result
I know. We were also beaten 4-0 by League One MK Dons in 2014. We’ve had way too many embarrassing results over this dark decade.

It has to be ETH. If we're consistent, it'd be unfair to expect the next manager to make us title contenders or make the later stages of the CL with ETH's players. We'll have to give the new guy a minimum of 3 more years and a lot of money before the team is really his.

That's the point of sensible recruitment to fit the club's philosophy, rather than caving to the whims of individual managers. If we do end up sacking Ten Hag the team running the club will be looking to build on the foundations and recruit the manager that best fits into what we're building. Since Fergie retired we've been jumping from one manager to another without any real strategy for transitions.

Other clubs have shown that you can progress quickly even when changing managers.

It would be a lot easier to have faith in Ten Hag being the man to take Utd forward if we hadn't watched his football for 2 years. 2 trophies, building a young squad, that is undeniably positive. The problem is the football, there is very little to suggest that his approach is one that makes consistent results sustainable. The pressing looks a little more coherent so far this season, let us see if that survives Mount missing, but the approach on the ball is as random and chaotic as ever.

That has to change.

If we lose tomorrow, do you think this thread will be calm and considered, as it’s only the 3rd game?
Its not Ten Hag's third game is it? It's Ten Hag's 118th game not counting pre-season games. He needs to win tomorrow. It's that simple. Don't care what the club structure is or isn't. A good coach is a good coach no matter the circumstances. Can't keep making excuses.

Its not Ten Hag's third game is it? It's Ten Hag's 118th game not counting pre-season games. He needs to win tomorrow. It's that simple. Don't care what the club structure is or isn't. A good coach is a good coach no matter the circumstances. Can't keep making excuses.

Forget these guys. Absolute idiotic excuses used again and again.

Of course not. I previously mentioned 8 - 12 points better which would have brought us into 3rd/4th. Expectations is to get back into CL positions, not winning the league.

Fair enough, hopefully we can do that at least but with how little goals are in this team I think it could be difficult to improve 10-15 points on last season.

Yeah that had a tight first half and that they won 1 - 0.

The Brentford game had a tight second half that they won 1 - 0.

Brentford game we had nearly 70% of the ball, more shots, more shots on target. Doubt you could say that against the Liverpool game.

I think people are talking about the Brentford match last season, which we drew 1-1. Despite that, it was definitely one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from a United team. Shredded through time and time again as they set their record total of shots - was it 32 in the end? Midfield non-existent, no sign of any coached patterns of play or structure. It was probably not quite as bad as the Palace match a couple of weeks later but I can see why people are listing it as one of the worst performances under ETH.

I think people are talking about the Brentford match last season, which we drew 1-1. Despite that, it was definitely one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from a United team. Shredded through time and time again as they set their record total of shots - was it 32 in the end? Midfield non-existent, no sign of any coached patterns of play or structure. It was probably not quite as bad as the Palace match a couple of weeks later but I can see why people are listing it as one of the worst performances under ETH.

Well there is no way a 1-1 draw against Brentford is a worse performance than a 7-0 defeat to Liverpool.

Forget these guys. Absolute idiotic excuses used again and again.
My post history on ETH would show I don't make excuses for him.

It was tongue in cheek. I think this thread will explode tomorrow if we lose. As was always the risk with keeping him and not starting the season well.

If we lose tomorrow, do you think this thread will be calm and considered, as it’s only the 3rd game?

We're not likely to do very well with Casemiro in midfield against a Champion's League side. We all know he's past it. We might get lucky and he might put in a good performance. But more likely without Mount and Ugarte and McT I don't see how we win the midfield tomorrow. I won't be judging ETH on this game, win or lose.

Spouting nonsense that we've been the best performing team after City since his tenure, no team has won more trophies. Style of football is subjective, trophies is what's important.

This doesn't follow his ambition he came here with, he wanted to get United to play attractive, attacking football.

He's in his Ole-stage, speaking all sort of nonsense to protect himself. An United manager shouldn't speak in this way, should be sacked very soon.

My post history on ETH would show I don't make excuses for him.

It was tongue in cheek. I think this thread will explode tomorrow if we lose. As was always the risk with keeping him and not starting the season well.

And so it should. We play at home against the Scouse. We spent an enormous amount of money on baldie. We have to win

way too early to judge, the manager needs time to set up the team.
Should he lose again tomorrow, he would of lost two in a row to managers new to the PL. With much less time to set their teams up than him, and far less money spent.

Spouting nonsense that we've been the best performing team after City since his tenure, no team has won more trophies. Style of football is subjective, trophies is what's important.

This doesn't follow his ambition he came here with, he wanted to get United to play attractive, attacking football.

He's in his Ole-stage, speaking all sort of nonsense to protect himself. An United manager shouldn't speak in this way, should be sacked very soon.

Oh my God. He's not very humble, is he.

We have not progressed. We have not outperformed every team except City. How can he say these things after two pretty mediocre performances and an abysmal 8th place finish. This man is absolutely delusional :lol: it's going to be a long season again..

Hard to tell at this point who’s more delusional, ETH or @NLunited