Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nail on the fecking head. Any ten hag believers who can answer this?
They will find excuses like they have the whole summer.

Nail on the fecking head. Any ten hag believers who can answer this?

Best to leave it alone man.

Had someone of them claiming that ETH regularly outcoaches Pep. :lol: :lol:Nevermind the fact ETH gets out- coached by most opposition managers he comes up against and even the relegation fodder teams aren't scared to go toe to toe with us home or away.

As long as he stubbornly plays Mount and Rashford doesn't matter what else we do. We're going to struggle to score and with slow ass Casemiro, Maguire and no natural LB at best we can draw the better sides.

Agreed. He was also mine.
I think he was most fans choice, he played pretty good high energy attacking football at Ajax but never brought that with him, if i recall he even admitted this himself.

But it was worth the gamble imo at the time, it clearly hasn't paid of and we should just admit that took it on the chin and moved him on, he had a fair crack in terms of time and money.

Last season saw us play some of the most tactically naive football I have ever seen from a top team. There was no progression at all in terms of getting better and more coherent as the season wore on. We completely changed style for the last few games, which got us over the line in the FA cup and saved Ten Hag’s job. But an inch the wrong way in the semi’s, and Coventry would’ve knocked us out and we wouldn’t be here talking about Ten Hag today. A margin that fine for success, when the measurements of failure were overwhelming, really shouldn’t have been enough to keep him employed here.

Despite being massively impressed with Ineos so far, I heavily disagreed with the decision to keep Ten Hag, as I have never seen anything from him as United coach that suggests he is even remotely good enough to lead this club. The way we have started the season is depressingly predictable. With the squad of players he has, and the time he has had to work with them, and the support he’s received, he simply should be doing so much better.

Personally, I think losing 7-0 to Liverpool should be an unsurvivable event for any United manager, bar Ferguson or Busby. If Real lost 7-0 to Barca, that coach is done. Pure and simple. Likewise Bayern against Dortmund or Milan vs Inter. But….he survived….ok. But then last season, the statistics for our performance with a record number of defeats, goals conceded, shots conceded, the exceptionally low goal return, shocking goal difference, record low PL finish, and just generally shocking performances, should always have been enough to move on from Ten Hag. Im not sure what rational was in place to give this man more time. I just don’t see it.

He doesn’t play good football, he’s a dreadful tactician, he doesn’t know how to set a team up, his team is boring and predictable, he’s terrible at rotating….the only good thing he’s done is the promotion of youth. People will point to the two trophies in two years, but when you measure where we are against the best sides - in the league and Europe - then he has us going backwards.

I really hope he succeeds, because I hate changing managers during the season but absolutely nothing about the guy gives me any confidence at all that he knows how to manage this team. He just isn’t good enough. We will lose a lot of games this season. Just like we did last season, because if we get even a couple of key injuries, the wheels will completely fall off. The system he’s put in place is so flimsy that it really doesn’t hold up to any pressure except under the absolute optimal circumstances, and that just isn’t good enough.

If he goes on to have a good season this season, I will happily eat my words. Happily. Nothing I would rather be right now than wrong. This is also the last I’m going to say on the subject, because I can’t do another whole season of saying the manager is terrible. It becomes toxic and I just have better things to do with my life. I already know that this is a season where my investment in the team, through time and energy, will be limited. United losing in limp circumstances really ruins my weekend, as it genuinely emotionally upsets me. United losing is something I can tolerate, and look to bounce back from, but United losing in predictable and limp fashion just drains me of any realistic hope of something better to come. It’ll just be another yo-yo season with a man in charge who is massively out of his depth.

The fact that every friend I have who supports a rival club was celebrating when we kept Ten Hag, tells you all you need to know about how the world views this man’s capabilities. It’s just known that we will be incoherent, naive, and have a soft underbelly. Ripe for a few thrashings, and all in all largely irrelevant in the picture of the big prizes.

People talk about signings way too much. While recruitment is very important, the ultimate pinnacle of performance, the tip of the spear, is coaching. It’s getting the most out of what you have and creating something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Ten Hag has never done that at United. He’s gotten less than the sum of its parts, and never shown any sort of thinking that makes us a genuinely difficult opponent for any team to face. Everyone who comes up against us fancies their chances, and with good reason. We are very poorly coached, with a baffling array of non-sensical instructions given to our players. Predictable going forwards, and open and lax in defence. Signing Ugarte or Pele isn’t going to make an appreciable difference, because the coaching is just fundamentally flawed. There are so many managers out there getting so much more out of so much less. I can only imagine what an Alonso or Emery would get out of this squad. A coherent football team for a start.
Completely agree. Very well said. I haven’t seen us control a game from start to finish since he’s been here.

Patience is running thin already.

Into season 3 and he still hasn't figured out how to defend in away matches.

We need to learn to keep a clean sheet before trying to do anything else really.

You don’t change centre halves in a tight game unless there is an injury

Surprised it took you this long, the man has been out of his depth for more than a year.
Out of his depth both tactically and man management. Very limited manager that requires a specific subset of players to play his football.

I think Ineos submitted to fan pressure. Hopefully they have a plan.

If that offside goal had not touched Zirkzee, we will be talking about a different game here . Fine margins but I'm happy with how we performed at Amex today.

People talk as if Brighton away is easy. It has been our bogus ground for years.

Last season saw us play some of the most tactically naive football I have ever seen from a top team. There was no progression at all in terms of getting better and more coherent as the season wore on. We completely changed style for the last few games, which got us over the line in the FA cup and saved Ten Hag’s job. But an inch the wrong way in the semi’s, and Coventry would’ve knocked us out and we wouldn’t be here talking about Ten Hag today. A margin that fine for success, when the measurements of failure were overwhelming, really shouldn’t have been enough to keep him employed here.

Despite being massively impressed with Ineos so far, I heavily disagreed with the decision to keep Ten Hag, as I have never seen anything from him as United coach that suggests he is even remotely good enough to lead this club. The way we have started the season is depressingly predictable. With the squad of players he has, and the time he has had to work with them, and the support he’s received, he simply should be doing so much better.

Personally, I think losing 7-0 to Liverpool should be an unsurvivable event for any United manager, bar Ferguson or Busby. If Real lost 7-0 to Barca, that coach is done. Pure and simple. Likewise Bayern against Dortmund or Milan vs Inter. But….he survived….ok. But then last season, the statistics for our performance with a record number of defeats, goals conceded, shots conceded, the exceptionally low goal return, shocking goal difference, record low PL finish, and just generally shocking performances, should always have been enough to move on from Ten Hag. Im not sure what rational was in place to give this man more time. I just don’t see it.

He doesn’t play good football, he’s a dreadful tactician, he doesn’t know how to set a team up, his team is boring and predictable, he’s terrible at rotating….the only good thing he’s done is the promotion of youth. People will point to the two trophies in two years, but when you measure where we are against the best sides - in the league and Europe - then he has us going backwards.

I really hope he succeeds, because I hate changing managers during the season but absolutely nothing about the guy gives me any confidence at all that he knows how to manage this team. He just isn’t good enough. We will lose a lot of games this season. Just like we did last season, because if we get even a couple of key injuries, the wheels will completely fall off. The system he’s put in place is so flimsy that it really doesn’t hold up to any pressure except under the absolute optimal circumstances, and that just isn’t good enough.

If he goes on to have a good season this season, I will happily eat my words. Happily. Nothing I would rather be right now than wrong. This is also the last I’m going to say on the subject, because I can’t do another whole season of saying the manager is terrible. It becomes toxic and I just have better things to do with my life. I already know that this is a season where my investment in the team, through time and energy, will be limited. United losing in limp circumstances really ruins my weekend, as it genuinely emotionally upsets me. United losing is something I can tolerate, and look to bounce back from, but United losing in predictable and limp fashion just drains me of any realistic hope of something better to come. It’ll just be another yo-yo season with a man in charge who is massively out of his depth.

The fact that every friend I have who supports a rival club was celebrating when we kept Ten Hag, tells you all you need to know about how the world views this man’s capabilities. It’s just known that we will be incoherent, naive, and have a soft underbelly. Ripe for a few thrashings, and all in all largely irrelevant in the picture of the big prizes.

People talk about signings way too much. While recruitment is very important, the ultimate pinnacle of performance, the tip of the spear, is coaching. It’s getting the most out of what you have and creating something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Ten Hag has never done that at United. He’s gotten less than the sum of its parts, and never shown any sort of thinking that makes us a genuinely difficult opponent for any team to face. Everyone who comes up against us fancies their chances, and with good reason. We are very poorly coached, with a baffling array of non-sensical instructions given to our players. Predictable going forwards, and open and lax in defence. Signing Ugarte or Pele isn’t going to make an appreciable difference, because the coaching is just fundamentally flawed. There are so many managers out there getting so much more out of so much less. I can only imagine what an Alonso or Emery would get out of this squad. A coherent football team for a start.
The bit about losing to Liverpool 7-0 being ‘unforgivable’ is arrogant hyperbole. Stinks of the ol’ ‘ta ra Fergie’. Or Andy Mitten demanding the end of Ferguson because ‘we’ve had three years of crap football and you sold all the talent’ after city beat us 5 1 in 89.

I’m not saying EtH is the next Ferguson. I don’t believed there is another. But such attention seeking nonsense as the above ought to be disregarded, outright.

Coaching and recruitment are important, yes, but neither is the ‘tip of the spear’, performance is and that is on the players. You can open the door, but the players must walk through it. United today played well, created chances but spaffed them. Yet again. Same as what happened under Ole’s fallow rope-a-dope, or Jose and LvG’s gruesome mechanics.

Last edited:
Out of his depth both tactically and man management. Very limited manager that requires a specific subset of players to play his football.

I think they chickened out after Tuchel rejected their offer, otherwise he was a gonner. I don't believe they actually have full confidence in him (justifiably) . It was frustrating to see parts of the fan base knee jerk after the fa cup win and show amnesia of how bad it was before that game, i think it was just as bad/worse than Ole's end.

Ineos did not ‘succumb to fan pressure’ as the fans were split on sacking EtH. They spoke to a variety of manager and realised they weren’t worth the upheaval. Still the case now.

Also, 99 percent of managers require a ‘subset of players’ to implement their style and are limited by many factors as to their acquisition.

Anyway, Ashworth’s old mate Gareth is free, Get him in. Give him time. Positive vibes. Give him time. Heck, get Ole in as his deputy. Who cares what the fans think.

Last edited:
The EtH blueprint for tossing away points late on in games....

1. Drop the defensive lines 30-yards to invite pressure from teams we were comfortably containing to ensure shots, set-pieces and crosses rain down on your goal

2. Sub off the defenders who are warm, focused and sharp and bring on cold defenders from the bench who are immediately under the cosh because of 1)

3. Don't sub players who are running on fumes and leaving huge gaps, instead remove any player who is a good presser, good at keeping the ball or a good outlet, thus ensuring maximum chaos in the final minutes.

4. Sub off your best set-piece defender, leaving teenagers and midgets to mark classic old-school PL warhorse CBs and CFs.

5. Do this over and over again to destroy players' confidence and make the fans edgy, thus creating a nice little vicious negative feedback loop
This, a million times this. Say whatever we want about luck and whatever, but this - this is on the manager. Completely inept game management, 3 years in a row with no sign of improvement. What is Ineos even waiting for?

That game against Liverpool is absolutely massive.

We need to win that game. Even a draw is a bleh result.
Best you book a long weekend in Tasmania then. If ETH can’t get these players to hang on to a draw against Brighton then Utd are surely fecked.
I watched ETH after match interview, feck his last words were something about the players getting the game management right. “Hells fire it’s your job to fecking manage how the players play and you fecked up by changing the defence and removing a centre back who hadn’t done much wrong all game. It’s was a senseless substitution to make and you blame the players,” shouted I at the screen.
I wanted ETH to stay after winning the cup, but my god he’s reverted to awful tactics, well no tactics at all and crazy substitutions. Utd need to get rid, we were fortunate to beat Fulham and got our just desserts against Brighton.

Draw probably a fair result.

That being said Utd dominated for a good chunk of the first half. Their goal was very much against the run of play.

Second half, ETH decimated the midfield by bringing off Mount and Bruno and shoving Zirkzee and McTominay in there. Became very much end to end with Utd just looking for counters, now if players could fecking stay onside it might have been a different story. Zirkzee disallowed goal to make it 2-1 was a 1 in a million offside that was just pure bad luck.

Utd lost this game because of two shit defensive errors and the midfield battle was lost following subs which allowed Brighton to dictate the flow of the last 15-20 mins.

Also Pawson is a cnut, he point blank refused to book Brighton players for deliberate cynical fouls. But went through a phase of giving them every free going and booked 3 or 4 Utd players for nothing. If he dishes out those yellow cards as deserved they can't continue the shithousery they got away with and it changes some of the counters and breaks.

As shown relatively even basis and a game consistent of two halfs.

Poor game management from Erik lost the game on that basis alone again odd substitutions.

First half, united controlled the football- really well set up and the press was on point, unlucky to be behind - Maguire should done better, Welbeck tapped it in. Amad had missed a decent chance after a Dalot cross. Passing out of the back was decent, final ball not so for the most part

Second half Brighton were better, they pushed their defence higher up the pitch and had more success counterpressing - United dangerous on the break, but bad timing and quality of final ball. Amad scored after a decent break, deflected finish. Garnacho (I suppose technically Zirkzee) had a goal ruled out from a break where Zirkzee was sliding towards goal and the ball hits his knee while offside and the ball was going in. It is what it is, no goal.

Brighton then start being more and more dominant in the last 10 and extra time as legs were going - they then score after left side of defence goes missing inexplicably

Overall, draw probably the fair result looking at the 90, but the defensive errors were so bad that I can't begrudge Brighton the win really.

• We started well, put Brighton under pressure.
  • From 20mins onwards Brighton grew into the game a bit.
  • They scored with their first genuine chance.
  • We had more control in the first half, wasted chances and Brighton were clinical. Mount was substitued at HT (injury?).
  • Brighton played far better in the second half, wasted many chances themselves at the start of the 2nd half and we were on the ropes.
  • We then scored against the run of play, it was a nice move, finished by a deflection.
  • We then controlled the game for the next 10mins, we had a goal scored but ruled off for offside (this was very bad luck, you'll find videos im sure).
  • ETH then changed the team with some subs and made us worse, all control was lost.
  • Brighton finished the stronger again and put us under real pressure in the final 10mins, we conceded with bad defending in the final few mins.
Positives: Maz, Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount(ish)
Negatives: Our forwards, defending set pieces (so bad).

We played well in periods but we are still the same team that shat the bed last season.... Make of that what you will.

Did you win?
Thanks lads, appreciated. Seems we were well worth a point or 3, until we lost all momentum with the subs. Damn.

Afro - we play 4th division local football over here and we’re joint top of the log and ended up with a 1-0 win with an injury time winner. Frustrating match but got the 3 points to keep us on top (GD) with 10 matches left.

Also, why were we playing such a low backline? Even Brighton switched to a high back line in the second half, while we continued to play a low backline with no striker.
Ineos should have sacked him before that final. That was their mistake. I mean, we almost got knocked out in the semi by a championship team before that game if not for that tight ref call, which everybody forgets.

The bit about losing to Liverpool 7-0 being ‘unforgivable’ is arrogant hyperbole. Stinks of the ol’ ‘ta ra Fergie’. Or Andy Mitten demanding the end of Ferguson because ‘we’ve had three years of crap football and you sold all the talent’ after city beat us 5 1 in 89.

I’m not saying EtH is the next Ferguson. I don’t believed there is another. But such attention seeking nonsense as the above ought to be disregarded, outright.

Coaching and recruitment are important, yes, but neither is the ‘tip of the spear’, performance is and that is on the players. You can open the door, but the players must walk through it. United today played well, created chances but spaffed them. Yet again. Same as what happened under Ole’s fallow rope-a-dope, or Jose and LvG’s gruesome mechanics.

What did I just read.

It seems like if they give us the ball, we shit the bed. We don't really know what to do. So we pass and pass and move forward and by that time everyone is back.

Can anyone defend him? Started without a striker when he didn't have to, played Rashford when he's been terrible for months, and starts Maguire when we have better CBs on the bench. But if I have a negative opinion on ETH they'll start a new thread and say this one has gotten out of hand.
Right? It was naive of the OP to think that the same arguments weren’t going to happen here if we start losing and playing like last season.

I said when they bought in Ruud he was being assessed as the next manager as TH won’t last the season. Nothing he has done pre season as filled me with any hope we are improving fast enough. When you look at Artetas progress in how he got Arse to play and we are still all over the place during a game is as plain as night and day.

If ETH wants to keep his job, he will start Garnacho Zirkzee and Amad and pray hard

Fantastic summary

Completely disingenuous argument I feel from him. You could literally say this for every goal scored or conceded for a manager.
I’m seeing a lot of these united ‘social media‘ guys coming up with weird things post this Brighton defeat. I think it’s cos they had decided that we’d turned the corner and this was gonna be a good season and they pushed the narrative that ten Haag should be backed under this new cohort. Now shits got real and the realisation that we’re still fecking shit and so we’re getting this weird in denial type feedback.
“The manager isn’t responsible for man marking” “our goal should have been allowed cos it was basically in.

Feels like he is already walking the plank. Won't last long if he doesn't learn quickly?

I'm really not seeing this perspective. I think you're usually extremely level headed but I think you're being a bit too level headed here.

Most of the posts I've read in here that are unhappy with Ten Hag are discussing the things that went wrong, sharing opinions on the things that are frustrating.

There are far more of these than "BIN OFF THE FRAUD" hysteria. This thread turning into a stream of "ah he's so unlucky, give it time lads" would be just as bad as the opposite.

Just out of interest what is stupid about the rule you mentioned. Hitting the ball forwards and it being touched by a player ahead of the last defender? It was a unique way it came about but we weren't hard done by.
When I looked in I did it really see anything apart from posts dressed up in a nicer way than the ETH thread which are basically people patting themselves on the back. I don’t get it, it’s been said a thousand times in the ETH thread, this is meant to be a more objective one about this season. Since I posted the thread is much bigger now but it seems very similar now as well?

I guess my point is we actually played quite well in a game we usually get absolutely dominated on the ball and, when we win, which is rare away, it’s usually bloody lucky (last time in the PL apart from last season was the famous handball penalty 10mins into stoppage time). That’s not to say Brighton are the yardstick, far from it, but we’ve not played poorly this season. Yet.

Re rule. I don’t like it but I accept it’s inevitable (I think it’s stupid because there’s absolutely no debate that it was going in and that Zirkzee hasn’t affected play at all) because if they started looking at it subjectively it’d be more drama for VAR to mess up.

Disagree on Hojlund. His first season as a starter for any team in one of the worst United sides in history - still scored 16 goals.

Also the way he strikes the ball indicates he is a good finisher, just timings/service will come with age.

In all fairness, many of.those goals came in a purple patch after a goal drought. He went into another drought after that patch.

I said when they bought in Ruud he was being assessed as the next manager as TH won’t last the season. Nothing he has done pre season as filled me with any hope we are improving fast enough. When you look at Artetas progress in how he got Arse to play and we are still all over the place during a game is as plain as night and day.
What were Artetas first three league finishes?

What did I just read.
Basically, Sharky, you were asked to consider matters with regard to context.

When we lost to Liverpool seven nil, it came a week after EtH had ended a six year trophy hoodoo. We finished above Liverpool that season and qualified for another cup final. All this in a season in which EtH inherited a wide range of serious issues, from Ronaldo to a club sale, and was expected himself to be clipped.

Instead, the above poster spouts nonsense as that defeat being ‘unforgivable’, going on to cite other clubs who would not tolerate such blasphemy, without any real hard evidence. This includes Alex Ferguson, who our ‘holier than thou’ fan base demanded we sack in similar circumstances.

This thread needs to be kept in check a bit. If it’s just to say stuff like ‘I told you so’, OP made it clear you’ll get banned.

I get people get worked up by football but today was a bit of a joke, we didn’t play badly, I’d say we were the better team overall, and got fecked over by a stupid rule and then threw away the draw with some of the worst defending we will see this year.

We’re two games in this season, that’s what this thread is about, 1 good win without it being amazing and 1 frustrating loss. We haven’t played terribly in either game, people need to take a moment to put things in perspective.
We didn't play badly is not a metric. It just means that we could have been worse and lost the plot completely. We could have had Onana chuck one in, but that didn't happen.
What did we do with our posession? How many shots on target could we muster? How much time did they spend trying to stop us.

He’ll be gone by Christmas, RvN stepping in as caretaker. Ineos have generally made good moves with the club in a short time but keeping EtH was a big mistake. He’s spent 600m+ and the team still barely plays cohesive football. Even Brightons 31 year old manager has them already playing like a team his way.

What did I just read.
Don’t bother mate. It’s hard to take it seriously when it is that garbage of an opinion that unaccepting losing 7-0 to pool is nothing more than hyperbole reeking arrogance from united fans equivalent to ta ra Fergie. I’ll tell you what it reeks, it’s so disingenuous that it reeks of a like.

Won't last long if he doesn't learn quickly?

He won't learn anything.

Our only hope is that he doesn't need to learn anything, i.e. that he actually knows what he's doing and that his master plan will bear fruit at some point (preferably while we're all still alive).

I can't see INEOS sticking by him for this reason. I'm sure we heard this was Wilcox's job - to decide our playing style and as technical director to sort that out. We must see our inability to keep possession.
But I'm worried that they're giving him these players that suit counter attack football, Thus making it hard for the next guy. I hope they have this long term plan as you say but I'm not sure