Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
League Stats for all below Managers. Added their first 78 games (as today was Ten Hags 78th League Game). Ignored Moyes, mainly because I don't want to think of that season ever again. Worth pointing out that Jose and Ole's downfalls started about now, so imagine there stats will begin to decline now. But technically on a Pts per game ration, Ten Hag is currently 4th highest among the United Managers.

Manager​
Win %​
Loss %​
Clean Sheets​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts PG​
Pep​
73.08%​
10.26%​
31​
78​
57​
13​
8​
194​
67​
+127​
184​
2.36​
Jose​
56.41%​
16.67%​
36​
78​
44​
21​
13​
126​
61​
+65​
153​
1.96​
Ole​
53.85%​
20.51%​
24​
78​
42​
20​
16​
138​
86​
+52​
146​
1.87​
Ten Hag​
53.85%​
30.77%​
27​
78​
42​
12​
24​
117​
103​
+14​
138​
1.77​
LVG​
51.32%​
23.68%​
29​
76​
39​
19​
18​
111​
72​
+39​
136​
1.79​
Klopp​
50.00%​
20.51%​
24​
78​
39​
23​
16​
150​
98​
+52​
140​
1.79​
Arteta​
50.00%​
30.77%​
28​
78​
39​
15​
24​
121​
84​
+37​
132​
1.69​
Rangnick​
41.67%​
29.17%​
6​
24​
10​
7​
7​
33​
33​
0​
37​
1.54​
We were a lot closer to the top sides under Ole. That goal difference is damning.

Yeah thank god for that, he knows INEOS won't put up with too much of this before trigger is pulled. He deserves huge criticism for not valuing possession when it's so important as well

For someone who is on borrowed time in his job he isnt helping himself with his poor team selections and subs as well as his silly tactics and refusel to play proper football.

Anyone else feeling really rubbish after today, it’s been two games but I already feel so low about this season. Just can’t see him lasting the whole season and that’s another season gone & another rebuild
This is a serious question, but what happened between finishing 8th, losing half our games and looking generally shit, to today that made you think everything was going to be great this season and we’d romp to a top 4 finish?

Away at a decent mid table side like Brighton we are not favorites. This is the mediocrity we signed up for by not sacking Ten Hag. Nothing surprising about this result.

You’d think Brighton were Real Madrid going by some of the comments suggesting it’s reasonable to expect us to lose to them. They’re a mid table team and if we can’t draw or beat mid table teams, we’re not going to get top 4.

This is a serious question, but what happened between finishing 8th, losing half our games and looking generally shit, to today that made you think everything was going to be great this season and we’d romp to a top 4 finish?
Well once he got his new contract and with the new season approaching I had no option but to accept that he will be the manager going forward. There was no United for 2 months so you tend to forget stuff and start thinking that maybe the new signings will change things but 2 games in & realisation has hit that nothing much has changed

Anyone else feeling really rubbish after today, it’s been two games but I already feel so low about this season. Just can’t see him lasting the whole season and that’s another season gone & another rebuild

I think a portion of the fan base knows that a poor season is a very real prospect before a ball had been kicked. Those that wanted him sacked explained this exact scenario to the Ten Hag in lot, and how it would probably be more damaging to give him more backing and another season.

Half the people that wanted him out did a 180° after one game though, and the general feeling was that he should get another season. If it goes poorly, I can't be bothered listening to people blame anybody for not sacking him. We'll have got what "we" wanted and it will be time for fans to reflect on their own opinions and how blinded they were, and just allow things to take their course in the future.

Eh even when he’s stinky he’s one of the very few on the pitch who has the ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat and do something game changing. Even at his worst, I’d still fancy him over most do get a goal or an assist out of nowhere.
Right. It’s still a good thing the manager hooking him when he’s playing shit.

Away at a decent mid table side like Brighton we are not favorites. This is the mediocrity we signed up for by not sacking Ten Hag. Nothing surprising about this result.
You could get 15/8 for us today. Absolutely mental how far we’ve dropped.

League Stats for all below Managers. Added their first 78 games (as today was Ten Hags 78th League Game). Ignored Moyes, mainly because I don't want to think of that season ever again. Worth pointing out that Jose and Ole's downfalls started about now, so imagine there stats will begin to decline now. But technically on a Pts per game ration, Ten Hag is currently 4th highest among the United Managers.

Manager​
Win %​
Loss %​
Clean Sheets​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
GF​
GA​
GD​
Pts​
Pts PG​
Pep​
73.08%​
10.26%​
31​
78​
57​
13​
8​
194​
67​
+127​
184​
2.36​
Jose​
56.41%​
16.67%​
36​
78​
44​
21​
13​
126​
61​
+65​
153​
1.96​
Ole​
53.85%​
20.51%​
24​
78​
42​
20​
16​
138​
86​
+52​
146​
1.87​
Ten Hag​
53.85%​
30.77%​
27​
78​
42​
12​
24​
117​
103​
+14​
138​
1.77​
LVG​
51.32%​
23.68%​
29​
76​
39​
19​
18​
111​
72​
+39​
136​
1.79​
Klopp​
50.00%​
20.51%​
24​
78​
39​
23​
16​
150​
98​
+52​
140​
1.79​
Arteta​
50.00%​
30.77%​
28​
78​
39​
15​
24​
121​
84​
+37​
132​
1.69​
Rangnick​
41.67%​
29.17%​
6​
24​
10​
7​
7​
33​
33​
0​
37​
1.54​
This table shows why his football is not sustainable. We have scored the 2nd fewest goals yet conceded the most goals. Amongst permanent United managers he ranks 4th out of 5. One of whom is Moyes. This is atrocious.

We have given him 11 players (not including Yoro). Add Garnacho, Mainoo and Amad. That's 15 of his players. We've backed him more than any other manager post Fergie. This is what we get in return?

I‘m EtH out since winter last season but I was still hoping to see some improvement this season so I can‘t blame anyone who is disappointed that we see none.

Well once he got his new contract and with the new season approaching I had no option but to accept that he will be the manager going forward. There was no United for 2 months so you tend to forget stuff and start thinking that maybe the new signings will change things but 2 games in & realisation has hit that nothing much has changed
Yeah I presumed this would be the answer. It’s essentially two months off made people forget how bad it really was.

We’re arguably weaker this season than we were last season when you look at the outgoings and incomings, especially while players settle into the league. There’s no real support for this season being better than last other than hope that the manager has reflected and changed everything he does.

Right. He's standing on the touchline making the players feck up in critical moments all by himself?

The moronic agenda-driven shite people post sometimes..
Why do you think the stoppage time was called Fergie’s time ?
The manager is accountable for the mentality of the squad. That’s part of his job to make his players winners.

This table shows why his football is not sustainable. We have scored the 2nd fewest goals yet conceded the most goals. Amongst permanent United managers he ranks 4th out of 5. One of whom is Moyes. This is atrocious.

We have given him 11 players (not including Yoro). Add Garnacho, Mainoo and Amad. That's 15 of his players. We've backed him more than any other manager post Fergie. This is what we get in return?
I said it,

We pay premium money in wages but get substandard return in results.

I‘m EtH out since winter last season but I was still hoping to see some improvement this season so I can‘t blame anyone who is disappointed that we see none.
I totally understand, but as you said, it’s all based on hope. If you actually thought about it for 10 minutes over the summer you’d know what was going to happen this season.

Right. It’s still a good thing the manager hooking him when he’s playing shit.

To you maybe. But when we're so poor creatively and void of magic, Bruno coming off basically killed my hope. If we had more going on attacking wise, players in form, threatening, you can afford to take him off, but right now? Questionable.

It's the hope that kills you mate.

It really is bud. I want to believe, but it just seems like we're never going to get it together under him. Some were fully convinced that we were impressive against Fulham but I just didn't see it.

Right. He's standing on the touchline making the players feck up in critical moments all by himself?

How many times, with arguably weakest squads or not their ‘own’ squads did the likes of Ole and Mourinho have these ‘feck ups’ in critical moments? Or is this something that’s chronic in the Ten Hag era only?

Our League form in the last 15 games is 5 wins, 4 draws and 6 losses with a -2 GD. I will never understand why we stood by him. I really hope he proves me wrong as I want to be able to actually enjoy the season for once.

Yeah I presumed this would be the answer. It’s essentially two months off made people forget how bad it really was.

We’re arguably weaker this season than we were last season when you look at the outgoings and incomings, especially while players settle into the league. There’s no real support for this season being better than last other than hope that the manager has reflected and changed everything he does.
You don't even need two months. One good result at any point in time makes half of the fanbase forget how bad we are.

I’m 99% sure that Ten Hag is not the guy to take us back to title challengers. But I think in the three competitive matches we’ve had so far we’re much improved from last season. We concede fewer shots, we’re less chaotic, and the basketball matches have ended.

Granted, we still look a little toothless, but the build up is better and we’re creating good chances. We’re not taking them. I’d like us to be more fluid and create more of the good opportunities, but this doesn’t feel the same as last season.

Ultimately it won’t matter if we keep losing, Ten Hag will lose his job. But I think it’s a better set up offensively and defensively so far. Fingers crossed it bears more fruit, starting against Liverpool.

His hyper-intense transition tactics aren’t sustainable, it’s no coincidence we keep conceding in injury time. Everyone is gassed by 75 minutes due to his tactics and we don’t score enough to make the second half comfortable. It’s completely on the manager. Mistakes come from physical and mental fatigue, his football it may work in the Netherlands but it’s unsustainable in a high quality league. We’re past the point of analysing it, the evidence is in front of us.

This thread needs to be kept in check a bit. If it’s just to say stuff like ‘I told you so’, OP made it clear you’ll get banned.

I get people get worked up by football but today was a bit of a joke, we didn’t play badly, I’d say we were the better team overall, and got fecked over by a stupid rule and then threw away the draw with some of the worst defending we will see this year.

We’re two games in this season, that’s what this thread is about, 1 good win without it being amazing and 1 frustrating loss. We haven’t played terribly in either game, people need to take a moment to put things in perspective.

Our League form in the last 15 games is 5 wins, 4 draws and 6 losses with a -2 GD. I will never understand why we stood by him. I really hope he proves me wrong as I want to be able to actually enjoy the season for once.
Honestly I am not bothered too much by the results. Last year we genuinely had about 10 halves worth of good performance. Collectively 5 games. Amongst 60.

It was the worst football I've ever seen us play. And I used to fall asleep watching LVG. At least he had some sense of structure. Worst of all, the same problems persisted from GW 1 to GW 38 - which shows it is by design. That's what maddens me even more.

You don't even need two months. One good result at any point in time makes half of the fanbase forget how bad we are.
Yeah as great as winning the FA cup was, he still should have been sacked the week after. There was people swinging from his nuts when he said ‘I’ll go and win trophies elsewhere, that’s what I do’. Embarrassing.

Disagree. If the players are 'giddy' to win the ball back to start a counter-attack it's because ETH puts so much emphasis on us being a counter-attacking team.

He's entering his 3rd year now, has the squad he essentially needs and it's up to him to prove that he can get us to play the way he wants us to play. If he can't, then he's just a shit manager.

How many times, with arguably weakest squads or not their ‘own’ squads did the likes of Ole and Mourinho have these ‘feck ups’ in critical moments? Or is this something that’s chronic in the Ten Hag era only?

Its Ten Hag, his in-game management is terrible and when we are struggling he does nothing other than make ridiculous subs

Honestly I am not bothered too much by the results. Last year we genuinely had about 10 halves worth of good performance. Collectively 5 games. Amongst 60.

It was the worst football I've ever seen us play. And I used to fall asleep watching LVG. At least he had some sense of structure. Worst of all, the same problems persisted from GW 1 to GW 38 - which shows it is by design. That's what maddens me even more.
Yep, we’ve turned into a moments in games team. The last great performance was Barcelona away. Since then it’s been 20 to 30 minute spells in different games.

Its Ten Hag, his in-game management is terrible and when we are struggling he does nothing other than make ridiculous subs
Oh mate, I know who it is, but people have been making excuses for a season and a half at this point and it’s still the players. We have a whole new back line and some are making out it’s Dalot’s fault we lost because he’s the only player Ten Hag hasn’t signed.

Ten Hag just continues to be naive mixed with stubbornness. There's no point fully going meltdown two games in, that's dumb. But christ it's probably the least fortunate fixture to have next. Either we lose and things go apeshit, or we win, and things go apeshit. Hope we win though!

Ten Hag just continues to be naive mixed with stubbornness. There's no point fully going meltdown two games in, that's dumb. But christ it's probably the least fortunate fixture to have next. Either we lose and things go apeshit, or we win, and things go apeshit. Hope we win though!

If we had a new manager I would agree. But all that talk about how few games we had this season hardly workes in our case does it.

Last season saw us play some of the most tactically naive football I have ever seen from a top team. There was no progression at all in terms of getting better and more coherent as the season wore on. We completely changed style for the last few games, which got us over the line in the FA cup and saved Ten Hag’s job. But an inch the wrong way in the semi’s, and Coventry would’ve knocked us out and we wouldn’t be here talking about Ten Hag today. A margin that fine for success, when the measurements of failure were overwhelming, really shouldn’t have been enough to keep him employed here.

Despite being massively impressed with Ineos so far, I heavily disagreed with the decision to keep Ten Hag, as I have never seen anything from him as United coach that suggests he is even remotely good enough to lead this club. The way we have started the season is depressingly predictable. With the squad of players he has, and the time he has had to work with them, and the support he’s received, he simply should be doing so much better.

Personally, I think losing 7-0 to Liverpool should be an unsurvivable event for any United manager, bar Ferguson or Busby. If Real lost 7-0 to Barca, that coach is done. Pure and simple. Likewise Bayern against Dortmund or Milan vs Inter. But….he survived….ok. But then last season, the statistics for our performance with a record number of defeats, goals conceded, shots conceded, the exceptionally low goal return, shocking goal difference, record low PL finish, and just generally shocking performances, should always have been enough to move on from Ten Hag. Im not sure what rational was in place to give this man more time. I just don’t see it.

He doesn’t play good football, he’s a dreadful tactician, he doesn’t know how to set a team up, his team is boring and predictable, he’s terrible at rotating….the only good thing he’s done is the promotion of youth. People will point to the two trophies in two years, but when you measure where we are against the best sides - in the league and Europe - then he has us going backwards.

I really hope he succeeds, because I hate changing managers during the season but absolutely nothing about the guy gives me any confidence at all that he knows how to manage this team. He just isn’t good enough. We will lose a lot of games this season. Just like we did last season, because if we get even a couple of key injuries, the wheels will completely fall off. The system he’s put in place is so flimsy that it really doesn’t hold up to any pressure except under the absolute optimal circumstances, and that just isn’t good enough.

If he goes on to have a good season this season, I will happily eat my words. Happily. Nothing I would rather be right now than wrong. This is also the last I’m going to say on the subject, because I can’t do another whole season of saying the manager is terrible. It becomes toxic and I just have better things to do with my life. I already know that this is a season where my investment in the team, through time and energy, will be limited. United losing in limp circumstances really ruins my weekend, as it genuinely emotionally upsets me. United losing is something I can tolerate, and look to bounce back from, but United losing in predictable and limp fashion just drains me of any realistic hope of something better to come. It’ll just be another yo-yo season with a man in charge who is massively out of his depth.

The fact that every friend I have who supports a rival club was celebrating when we kept Ten Hag, tells you all you need to know about how the world views this man’s capabilities. It’s just known that we will be incoherent, naive, and have a soft underbelly. Ripe for a few thrashings, and all in all largely irrelevant in the picture of the big prizes.

People talk about signings way too much. While recruitment is very important, the ultimate pinnacle of performance, the tip of the spear, is coaching. It’s getting the most out of what you have and creating something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Ten Hag has never done that at United. He’s gotten less than the sum of its parts, and never shown any sort of thinking that makes us a genuinely difficult opponent for any team to face. Everyone who comes up against us fancies their chances, and with good reason. We are very poorly coached, with a baffling array of non-sensical instructions given to our players. Predictable going forwards, and open and lax in defence. Signing Ugarte or Pele isn’t going to make an appreciable difference, because the coaching is just fundamentally flawed. There are so many managers out there getting so much more out of so much less. I can only imagine what an Alonso or Emery would get out of this squad. A coherent football team for a start.

Last edited:
This thread needs to be kept in check a bit. If it’s just to say stuff like ‘I told you so’, OP made it clear you’ll get banned.

I get people get worked up by football but today was a bit of a joke, we didn’t play badly, I’d say we were the better team overall, and got fecked over by a stupid rule and then threw away the draw with some of the worst defending we will see this year.

We’re two games in this season, that’s what this thread is about, 1 good win without it being amazing and 1 frustrating loss. We haven’t played terribly in either game, people need to take a moment to put things in perspective.

I'm really not seeing this perspective. I think you're usually extremely level headed but I think you're being a bit too level headed here.

Most of the posts I've read in here that are unhappy with Ten Hag are discussing the things that went wrong, sharing opinions on the things that are frustrating.

There are far more of these than "BIN OFF THE FRAUD" hysteria. This thread turning into a stream of "ah he's so unlucky, give it time lads" would be just as bad as the opposite.

Just out of interest what is stupid about the rule you mentioned. Hitting the ball forwards and it being touched by a player ahead of the last defender? It was a unique way it came about but we weren't hard done by.

3rd season here, you can't keep blaming the players. By now the vision of what he wants should be clear and it isn't. The Man City game was used to nauseam as how good he can be tactically, but ever since that game it's back to square one. He won't make it till November at this rate.

It’s reality setting in, as much as I recognise it’s going to take time you always hope for better. Another tough season ahead and top 4 is pretty unlikely. When I look at the manager and quality of the players we are just nowhere near good enough.

I imagine INEOS will give ETH some leeway as they’ve backed him with new players/staff but I’d be shocked if he makes it until the end of the season.

Yeah I feel really down. Even beer isn’t working! Struggling to see any positives at the moment.

Yeah agree, although imagining Case and Ugarte in build up is spooky considering how much responsibility it placed on Mainoo to wizard his way out of the press all on his own (seriously go back today and look at how many hospital passes we play into him)

Our conversation has depressed me. We have so little ability to keep the ball in our CM. Other than Mainoo, who is awesome and brilliant with press resistance but even he is not a great passer. Such a poor level of short and long passing in the midfield. Is it really that impossible to find a Kroos? In the 24 yrs of my watching United we've had what 3 decent passing CMs, Keane Scholes and Carrick. I don't consider Pogba a good short passer. I'm just rambling and ranting. Sigh

Yeah I feel really down. Even beer isn’t working! Struggling to see any positives at the moment.
Same here. I’m getting drunk and as I always do and I’m still feeling sad about today. I’m not feeling optimistic about us at all right now, especially with Liverpool coming up.