Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
You're missing the point. Same style which is the factor and why you have a DoF to over see this.

LvG to Jose to Ole was completely different styles.

EtH to ??? If it happens won't be. So yes new signings, but not tearing the squad up and starting again scenario.

Again, someone else more interested in picking an argument than seeing the point.

Ask our DoF and TD what the planned philosophy long term is.

How do you think somone like Brighton does so well signing wise? Tearing up the script everytime a new manager comes in or??
We need to move to a more possession based style. Not sure if this lot can do that as ETH hates possession and it's his team. Hope these new guys know what they're doing

Performance wise, our first two matches have been decent but nothing more than that. We haven't been conceding the same number of shots. Nor have we been cut open like last season (yet) but many of the issues from last season are still visible.

We look clueless in possession. Most of the time on the ball is spent playing it back and forth between the back five and way too often, possession ends when Onana hoofs the ball aimlessly out of bounds or straight to the opponent.

I also have my doubts if the players are actually praciting attacking patterns. If they are, they are not on display in matches where everything looks like it happens at random. We're not creating enough and often, when we get in to good positions, the decision making is abysmal.

No, that was his entire point.

But go on, what was his point

That individual decisions made by players on the pitch which deviate from instructions are not the fault of the manager.

That is not the same as a manager asking players to do things they are incapable of, or a problem being caused by an instruction by the manager.

An example of decisions on the manager would be asking Mainoo to play box to box for 90 mins, when he clearly doesn't have the engine for it.

The second Brighton goal came from a defensive shape that was not coached into them, and the players didn't organise well between them on the pitch.

I'm still struggling with how Onana is used. Hopefully that changes when we've got two comfortable on the ball CB's on the pitch? Just a lot of long balls and him taking forever to release the ball. I'm guessing its a direct instruction, but why.

That game against Liverpool is absolutely massive.

We need to win that game. Even a draw is a bleh result.

I can’t blame ETH for either of the defensive clustereffs or the correct offside call that denied us a goal, we’re now in Year Three of this project and nothing changes. We scraped by Fulham and at best would have scraped by Brighton. We’re nowhere near where we should be.

We need to move to a more possession based style. Not sure if this lot can do that as ETH hates possession and it's his team. Hope these new guys know what they're doing

It's a necessity that our next manager fills that role.

ETH will never be that kind of manager and it's one of the reasons I wasn't in favor of him getting more time. Personally think his style of management has a top 4 ceiling and that's it.

I can't see INEOS sticking by him for this reason. I'm sure we heard this was Wilcox's job - to decide our playing style and as technical director to sort that out. We must see our inability to keep possession.

Anyone else feeling really rubbish after today, it’s been two games but I already feel so low about this season. Just can’t see him lasting the whole season and that’s another season gone & another rebuild
It is depressing in it's inevitability, Ten Hag has been a dead man walking since that 4-0 defeat against Palace, but I'm less pessimistic about a rebuild under Ineos than I would be under the last regime.

The ending to that game really sucked on many levels.

I went into this game thinking it would be a very difficult game as Brighton always play well against us.

But towards the end of this game I was thinking Brighton have been there for the taking today and we have just not taken the opportunity, then we throw it away at the end which compounds it even further.

In fairness, we made Brighton look quite average for a change, but things just continue to conspire against us.

ETH has no excuses this season, he will either get this squad to perform or will be out by November so he needs to figure it out asap.

Taking off Bruno for McTom just reeks of a manager that has settled for a point and that just invites pressure which we are not very good at dealing with late on.

Playing Rashford in literally every game and keeping Cas on for the whole game seems more like stubbornness that tactical thinking.

They bottled sacking a manager after a huge, underdog, Cup win and they feared a huge backlash from the ground swell of online support around the manager. It was a major clusterfeck and will cost us at least a season of progression, unless Ruud is their fallback plan and he isn't too much of a tactical genius who is also a club legend that will be difficult to move on should he wet the bed. Major feck up keeping him.

You have absolutely nailed it perfectly

To you maybe. But when we're so poor creatively and void of magic, Bruno coming off basically killed my hope. If we had more going on attacking wise, players in form, threatening, you can afford to take him off, but right now? Questionable.
If we’re going to make players who are not world class think they’re unsubbable when they’re stinking the game up then we are resigning ourselves to mediocrity. We need to stop making out Bruno is this amazing player. The guy who came on for him, McTominay, scored more goals from open play last season than Fernandes did. It’s really not a crazy sub.

Last season saw us play some of the most tactically naive football I have ever seen from a top team. There was no progression at all in terms of getting better and more coherent as the season wore on. We completely changed style for the last few games, which got us over the line in the FA cup and saved Ten Hag’s job. But an inch the wrong way in the semi’s, and Coventry would’ve knocked us out and we wouldn’t be here talking about Ten Hag today. A margin that fine for success, when the measurements of failure were overwhelming, really shouldn’t have been enough to keep him employed here.

Despite being massively impressed with Ineos so far, I heavily disagreed with the decision to keep Ten Hag, as I have never seen anything from him as United coach that suggests he is even remotely good enough to lead this club. The way we have started the season is depressingly predictable. With the squad of players he has, and the time he has had to work with them, and the support he’s received, he simply should be doing so much better.

Personally, I think losing 7-0 to Liverpool should be an unsurvivable event for any United manager, bar Ferguson or Busby. If Real lost 7-0 to Barca, that coach is done. Pure and simple. Likewise Bayern against Dortmund or Milan vs Inter. But….he survived….ok. But then last season, the statistics for our performance with a record number of defeats, goals conceded, shots conceded, the exceptionally low goal return, shocking goal difference, record low PL finish, and just generally shocking performances, should always have been enough to move on from Ten Hag. Im not sure what rational was in place to give this man more time. I just don’t see it.

He doesn’t play good football, he’s a dreadful tactician, he doesn’t know how to set a team up, his team is boring and predictable, he’s terrible at rotating….the only good thing he’s done is the promotion of youth. People will point to the two trophies in two years, but when you measure where we are against the best sides - in the league and Europe - then he has us going backwards.

I really hope he succeeds, because I hate changing managers during the season but absolutely nothing about the guy gives me any confidence at all that he knows how to manage this team. He just isn’t good enough. We will lose a lot of games this season. Just like we did last season, because if we get even a couple of key injuries, the wheels will completely fall off. The system he’s put in place is so flimsy that it really doesn’t hold up to any pressure except under the absolute optimal circumstances, and that just isn’t good enough.

If he goes on to have a good season this season, I will happily eat my words. Happily. Nothing I would rather be right now than wrong. This is also the last I’m going to say on the subject, because I can’t do another whole season of saying the manager is terrible. It becomes toxic and I just have better things to do with my life. I already know that this is a season where my investment in the team, through time and energy, will be limited. United losing in limp circumstances really ruins my weekend, as it genuinely emotionally upsets me. United losing is something I can tolerate, and look to bounce back from, but United losing in predictable and limp fashion just drains me of any realistic hope of something better to come. It’ll just be another yo-yo season with a man in charge who is massively out of his depth.

The fact that every friend I have who supports a rival club was celebrating when we kept Ten Hag, tells you all you need to know about how the world views this man’s capabilities. It’s just known that we will be incoherent, naive, and have a soft underbelly. Ripe for a few thrashings, and all in all largely irrelevant in the picture of the big prizes.

People talk about signings way too much. While recruitment is very important, the ultimate pinnacle of performance, the tip of the spear, is coaching. It’s getting the most out of what you have and creating something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Ten Hag has never done that at United. He’s gotten less than the sum of its parts, and never shown any sort of thinking that makes us a genuinely difficult opponent for any team to face. Everyone who comes up against us fancies their chances, and with good reason. We are very poorly coached, with a baffling array of non-sensical instructions given to our players. Predictable going forwards, and open and lax in defence. Signing Ugarte or Pele isn’t going to make an appreciable difference, because the coaching is just fundamentally flawed. There are so many managers out there getting so much more out of so much less. I can only imagine what an Alonso or Emery would get out of this squad. A coherent football team for a start.

Brilliant post and I cannot disagree with any of it.

Anyone else feeling really rubbish after today, it’s been two games but I already feel so low about this season.

Yup. Doesn’t help to see the ones we’re supposed to be rivalling or closing the gap to picking up all their points. Already off the pace and the football isn’t great.

2 goals in two games - then you look around City with 6 in two, Brighton with 5 in two, Spurs 5 in two, Arsenal with 4 in two.

It’s shit.

If we’re going to make players who are not world class think they’re unsubbable when they’re stinking the game up then we are resigning ourselves to mediocrity. We need to stop making out Bruno is this amazing player. The guy who came on for him, McTominay, scored more goals from open play last season than Fernandes did. It’s really not a crazy sub.

Of course it is a crazy sub. How many goal involvements over the last 1 to 3 years, Bruno vs McTominay? It's just crazy to even suggest McTominay is anywhere near as big a threat as Bruno.

To you maybe. But when we're so poor creatively and void of magic, Bruno coming off basically killed my hope. If we had more going on attacking wise, players in form, threatening, you can afford to take him off, but right now? Questionable.

Yeah we need more creativity because let's face it outside of Bruno we haven't got anything

This whole we were unlucky & have played well in the two games stuff is just hogwash because it happened so often last season as well. Teams take the personality of the manager, under ETH we are a soft team who constantly feel sad about all the bad luck we have whether it’s injuries, decisions and off sides. As soon as Diallo fecked up the 3 on 2 today you knew that Brighton will score very soon, when the off side happened it seemed inevitable that Brighton will win today. Its a reminder of the Wenger teams of his last few years, played ok but had no physicality as a team and were always crying.

Last season saw us play some of the most tactically naive football I have ever seen from a top team. There was no progression at all in terms of getting better and more coherent as the season wore on. We completely changed style for the last few games, which got us over the line in the FA cup and saved Ten Hag’s job. But an inch the wrong way in the semi’s, and Coventry would’ve knocked us out and we wouldn’t be here talking about Ten Hag today. A margin that fine for success, when the measurements of failure were overwhelming, really shouldn’t have been enough to keep him employed here.

Despite being massively impressed with Ineos so far, I heavily disagreed with the decision to keep Ten Hag, as I have never seen anything from him as United coach that suggests he is even remotely good enough to lead this club. The way we have started the season is depressingly predictable. With the squad of players he has, and the time he has had to work with them, and the support he’s received, he simply should be doing so much better.

Personally, I think losing 7-0 to Liverpool should be an unsurvivable event for any United manager, bar Ferguson or Busby. If Real lost 7-0 to Barca, that coach is done. Pure and simple. Likewise Bayern against Dortmund or Milan vs Inter. But….he survived….ok. But then last season, the statistics for our performance with a record number of defeats, goals conceded, shots conceded, the exceptionally low goal return, shocking goal difference, record low PL finish, and just generally shocking performances, should always have been enough to move on from Ten Hag. Im not sure what rational was in place to give this man more time. I just don’t see it.

He doesn’t play good football, he’s a dreadful tactician, he doesn’t know how to set a team up, his team is boring and predictable, he’s terrible at rotating….the only good thing he’s done is the promotion of youth. People will point to the two trophies in two years, but when you measure where we are against the best sides - in the league and Europe - then he has us going backwards.

I really hope he succeeds, because I hate changing managers during the season but absolutely nothing about the guy gives me any confidence at all that he knows how to manage this team. He just isn’t good enough. We will lose a lot of games this season. Just like we did last season, because if we get even a couple of key injuries, the wheels will completely fall off. The system he’s put in place is so flimsy that it really doesn’t hold up to any pressure except under the absolute optimal circumstances, and that just isn’t good enough.

If he goes on to have a good season this season, I will happily eat my words. Happily. Nothing I would rather be right now than wrong. This is also the last I’m going to say on the subject, because I can’t do another whole season of saying the manager is terrible. It becomes toxic and I just have better things to do with my life. I already know that this is a season where my investment in the team, through time and energy, will be limited. United losing in limp circumstances really ruins my weekend, as it genuinely emotionally upsets me. United losing is something I can tolerate, and look to bounce back from, but United losing in predictable and limp fashion just drains me of any realistic hope of something better to come. It’ll just be another yo-yo season with a man in charge who is massively out of his depth.

The fact that every friend I have who supports a rival club was celebrating when we kept Ten Hag, tells you all you need to know about how the world views this man’s capabilities. It’s just known that we will be incoherent, naive, and have a soft underbelly. Ripe for a few thrashings, and all in all largely irrelevant in the picture of the big prizes.

People talk about signings way too much. While recruitment is very important, the ultimate pinnacle of performance, the tip of the spear, is coaching. It’s getting the most out of what you have and creating something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Ten Hag has never done that at United. He’s gotten less than the sum of its parts, and never shown any sort of thinking that makes us a genuinely difficult opponent for any team to face. Everyone who comes up against us fancies their chances, and with good reason. We are very poorly coached, with a baffling array of non-sensical instructions given to our players. Predictable going forwards, and open and lax in defence. Signing Ugarte or Pele isn’t going to make an appreciable difference, because the coaching is just fundamentally flawed. There are so many managers out there getting so much more out of so much less. I can only imagine what an Alonso or Emery would get out of this squad. A coherent football team for a start.
This post sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Losing is part of the game - reccuring humiliations and completely inept displays like the ones, we have witnessed the last couple of years, shouldn't be. With the time and support Ten Had has had, he should - at the very least - have been able to implement a clear and positive playing style. The fact that he hasn't, should be proof enough, that he is not good enough to manage this club.

Anyone else feeling really rubbish after today, it’s been two games but I already feel so low about this season. Just can’t see him lasting the whole season and that’s another season gone & another rebuild
Same here. Suffering from PTSD right now . The sunken feeling of knowing how the season will pan out after watching the same shit. This manager honestly. I was so hopeful and upbeat that he would change and so would our style of play after a good window plus Ugarte to come. I have lost hope. He’s never gonna change or not capable of doing so at all.

I want to know the 'game plan'

How does he want us to play? Because we don't seem to be making any progress

This whole we were unlucky & have played well in the two games stuff is just hogwash because it happened so often last season as well. Teams take the personality of the manager, under ETH we are a soft team who constantly feel sad about all the bad luck we have whether it’s injuries, decisions and off sides. As soon as Diallo fecked up the 3 on 2 today you knew that Brighton will score very soon, when the off side happened it seemed inevitable that Brighton will win today. Its a reminder of the Wenger teams of his last few years, played ok but had no physicality as a team and were always crying.

Yeah the team sound proper pathetic and soft moaning about being unlucky. Erik had more than enough time to get their chins up off the floor, far too often we are affected by decisions going against us instead of just moving on quickly.

Bruno should never be subbed out for McTominay.

This could be the first season since before Fergie where we fail to qualify for the CL for the second season in a row.

Brilliant post and so refreshing after over two years of “just unlucky”.

Yeah, it does feel pretty bad. I didn't like Jose or Ole's brand of football and while i've been willing to give EtH time (and two cup wins in two seasons has helped) I'm just not liking this style of football either. As someone else said, it's like the football equivalent of a coin toss: we'll win some and we'll lose some but where's the control? It feels like our strikers need to be a million times more clinical to make the gamble work. The pressing looks better and the midfield is more solid but old problems still remain.

The 3rd league game is against Liverpool and already it could define our season. Lose that and it's just going to be more and more pressure and something will have to give at some point. Win it and, well, perhaps optimism might be renewed... until we narrowly lose 2-1 to Southampton or something.

Cups are our best chance
If it starts to look like the league is slipping away from us then yes we should throw all of our eggs in the EL basket. Manchester United spending two years out of the Champions League would be unthinkable.

Same here. Suffering from PTSD right now . The sunken feeling of knowing how the season will pan out after watching the same shit. This manager honestly. I was so hopeful and upbeat that he would change and so would our style of play after a good window plus Ugarte to come. I have lost hope. He’s never gonna change or not capable of doing so at all.
Exactly. So its just really stupid to bring in any more players at this point until we can get a proper manager in. And Ten Hag ain't that...

Brilliant post. Couldn’t have said better.

Brilliant post and I cannot disagree with any of it.

This post sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Losing is part of the game - reccuring humiliations and completely inept displays like the ones, we have witnessed the last couple of years, shouldn't be. With the time and support Ten Had has had, he should - at the very least - have been able to implement a clear and positive playing style. The fact that he hasn't, should be proof enough, that he is not good enough to manage this club.

Brilliant post and so refreshing after over two years of “just unlucky”.

Brilliant post. Couldn’t have said better.
Thanks chaps. I feel like I’ve reached the end of my tether.

Thanks chaps. I feel like I’ve reached the end of my tether.
Surprised it took you this long, the man has been out of his depth for more than a year.

Nail on the fecking head. Any ten hag believers who can answer this?