Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
We created feck all against Twente

Sure and it was by far our worst attacking performance of the season. Even good teams have lacklustre performances here and there.

If we had beaten Palace as we deserved too I don’t think the anger would be as dramatic after Twente. It would have just been a run of the mill midweek game where the team had a poor game. Similar to how Slot didn’t get butchered for losing to Forest because the prior results give him cover.

Ten Hag doesn’t have the cover of a good start to the season to protect him from a let down. He was starting the season on the back foot because of last year and the end of season review. Had we got 10pts on the board in the league we’d shrug our shoulders and say that was shit and move on quickly.

When City or Liverpool have a flat 45mins they have Salah or Haaland bail them out. Van Dijk rocks up with a set piece header etc and everyone forgets that the first half or whatever was crap.

Watching it back, Palmer told the Premier League show Uncut: “This is my favourite goal. I just couldn’t believe how much time and space I had. When I got the ball, I took a touch and then I took another one and I thought ‘where is everyone?’

He continued: “Then there was just loads of players there so I thought ‘if I shoot on target, hard, I’ve got a chance’. When I got it, they were all pointing saying ‘mark him’, and none of them came out.

Palmer was then asked if he was surprised by the space given to him with only seconds on the clock, to which Palmer replied: “Yeah, I was thinking, ‘what?’”

Sure and it was by far our worst attacking performance of the season. Even good teams have lacklustre performances here and there.

If we had beaten Palace as we deserved too I don’t think the anger would be as dramatic after Twente. It would have just been a run of the mill midweek game where the team had a poor game. Similar to how Slot didn’t get butchered for losing to Forest because the prior results give him cover.

Ten Hag doesn’t have the cover of a good start to the season to protect him from a let down. He was starting the season on the back foot because of last year and the end of season review. Had we got 10pts on the board in the league we’d shrug our shoulders and say that was shit and move on quickly.

When City or Liverpool have a flat 45mins they have Salah or Haaland bail them out. Van Dijk rocks up with a set piece header etc and everyone forgets that the first half or whatever was crap.

We didn't and we haven't. Buck stops with the manager.

He narrowly avoided the sack last year and unless he started well, he was a dead man walking.

I thought he'd be gone by Christmas and I still think that.

Tbf he didn't set the stupidly high price.

But when he found out that Antony was going to eat up a big fraction of his transfer funds, he didn't veto it either. That part's on him.

Doesn't he have a veto? Seems to me he wanted him, regardless of the cost.

He's in his first season in a new league taking over from Liverpool's best manager in decades and got turned down by their main transfer target before the last min Chiesa signing. Other than opposition fans happy to see him fail, who was going to butcher him for a bad start?

Based on ETH's survival skills, if he'd joined them, there are enough excuses there to get him through the next 5 years regardless of results.

I guess I don’t think there is any tactical setup in which this group of players score loads of goals regularly. Would Pep or Klopp do better, probably. But I still think our group of attackers will struggle regardless of how good the system is.

I think the opposite. I think our attackers are fine. Remember that we struggled to score with Ronaldo whilst he was here. I think we would struggle offensively with any attackers due to our system. I think objectively, Bruno, Mount, Amad and Zirkzee should have the creative juice to have chances created. I also think Rashford, Hojlund and Garnacho should have more scoring capabilities than any of Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea or Aston Villa.

In possession we play a slow indirect brand of football. This means that the system, rather than individuals, should create the space and movements that lead to chances and simple goals. Regardless of their abilities, I genuinely believe Grealish, Doku, Foden, Debruyne, Bernardo Silva and Haaland would struggle here. We move the ball slowly, we don't overlap and we don't have much attacking movement.

A lousy system is one in which players are constantly forced to perform remarkable things in order to obtain minor victories. How many wonderful plays have we seen from Dalot this season, merely to move the ball slightly forward? Amad and Rashford essentially need to beat three guys before they have a shot at goal; how many amazing stops has Onana had to make this season? Mainoo must perform remarkable dribbles just to keep possession of the ball. Mazraoui actually has to play like a midfielder to keep us in possession in the back. Last season, several of Hojlund's goals came out of nowhere. To have been successful last season, Casemiro would have needed to cover the entire midfield.Good systems should not require that much effort and skills to make it operational. Yet some of our fans can still not identify that tactics are the cause of this. We can spend as much money as we like, and some of our fans will always believe that lack of ability is the cause of our lack of effectiveness in front of goal. LVG was the biggest case of this. Under him, our fans literally believed that Di Maria turned average because his system was so flawed that we could not get one of the most creative players in Europe to function effectively. Yet we blamed the player, as that is what United always do.

It was reported that the United transfer team valued Antony only at around 20-30million. So who insisted on getting him regardless of price ie at 80million quid? It only points to one person.
Isn’t the story worse than that? Ajax agreed to sell him for much cheaper early in the summer but then we stalled obviously trying for other players, only to return cap in hand and get absolutely cleaned out.

It’s not only poor talent identification, it’s horrendous from the negotiators. Really sums up how we have recruited these last 10 years.

More rumours circulating

Hopefully this is true and good riddance at that.

He's not good enough, the improvements many acclaim the team has achieved a competent manager does in his first season after a few training sessions.

The minimalist progress isn't substantive, he's won 1 game in 9 in European competitions and his accumulative league form over two seasons is diabolical.

Hands down one of the worst managers at a club with vast resources.

Or to hope that that Amad, Hojlund, Zirkzee and Garnacho improve and develop. They are young enough still.

Bruno and Rashford we need to hope hit a purple patch because their inconsistency is baked in at this point of their careers.

It probably wasn't the best strategy to go into the season with a player who's been in the worst form of his career, 4 young players who haven't hit their peak with none of them consistent goalscorers and fecking Antony making up the options for your front 3 in attack.

It was reported that the United transfer team valued Antony only at around 20-30million. So who insisted on getting him regardless of price ie at 80million quid? It only points to one person.
You're just making shit up in your mind to suit your agenda. Antony was a United target before we signed Ten Hag, but after we signed Ten Hag then De Jong become the priority and all effort was directed towards signing him. The previous management team was literally incapable of performing more than a single task at a time, they couldn't even sell a player because they were so focused on signing De Jong, so even if Antony was priority target at the beginning of July, which there is no evidence to suggest he was, the club made the decision to focus on De Jong and we have to assume Ten Hag fully agreed.

Whatever our scouting team valued him at, it was irrelevant, Ajax valued him around 55 mil in the beginning of the transfer window, and we had no interest at that time, or our main interest was elsewhere. It was only when the club caved to outside pressure and loaned Greenwood did they then have to panic and find a replacement for him. It was at that point we went in for Antony, based on the club decision with Ten Hag approval, but Murtough and Arnold did the negotiating, that's how things work. Thinking Ten Hag is involved with discussions on player price in negotiations is akin to him putting himself in at CB when we have a spate of injuries. It's literally not his job, even if he wants it. But the club choosing to go into this transfer at the end of the window, once Ajax sold their whole team, is not on Ten Hag, it was a club decision.

If Antony was that important to Ten Hag, like 90 mil important, then we would have prioritized him over 60 mil De Jong who Barca was more than happy to sell at any point in the summer. The fact we signed Numerous players before we got to signing Antony, and it was clearly a last minute panic buy, prove this. At the time people attributed the panic purchase to a reaction to losing to Brighton and Brentford, but very likely it was a panic in reaction to having to replace a player whom they planned to use all summer long. If we didn't loan out Greenwood then where would Antony have played that season?

Who knows if Ten Hag is the right guy, unfortunately it's seeming less and less likely by the day, but the price of Antony is not a stick you can beat him with, nor do you need it, just talk about our football and quite chatting shit to try and build up your case against Ten Hag.

Im unsure how many games you've seen from other teams but can you name many club that hasn't been outplayed for periods in the game?

I doubt many will be on the back foot against Southampton for 30 minutes of the game, certainly not teams with top 4 aspirations. However, like I said, these teams are/have improved already since the early games and may well be a problem for other teams now too. My point was that it was a good time to play them, but we still haven't been as great as many are making out. Posters are talking as though we are raining down on their goal, when that hasn't been the case. I would actually like to ask these posters how much they have seen of other teams, because if they think what we are producing is finally some great football that will take us anywhere, they're probably going to be in for a surprise. I still see smaller teams than us doing better in certain aspects of the game. Forest, for example, look far more dangerous than us, and also beat Liverpool whilst keeping a clean sheet. What we are producing now, in my opinion, is still nowhere near the levels that even smaller teams were producing last season.

Keeping possession at the back whilst creating 2 or 3 chances a game, isn't something to hang your hat on. Especially when we still give away good chances at the other end. And this is in games that have been favourable to us. In two or three months we might well find ourselves looking in crisis again. I think we should be fine until December with the players we have and lack of injuries, which would put is right in the mix. But in reality, I know it will probably work out nothing like that.

Excluding the Liverpool games where we conceded loads of xG and the actual 3 goals our defence has been pretty decent. We’ve already had 3 clean sheets in the Premier League.

Every team concedes some chances but shots on our goal are way down from last season and way up in attack.

2.1 xga against Liverpool
2.1 xga against Brighton
1.6 xga against palace
1.3 xga against Southampton
0.6 xga against Fulham

Very average I would say.

TBH improving on last season's horror should not be seen as some sort of achievement, which is the problem. Crowing about improving from last season shows a serious lack of standards for one of the biggest clubs in the world with one of the biggest budgets.

ETH must deliver much better than What we have seen so far this season to even begin repaying some of the faith shown in him after last season.

We are a long way from that yet, with difficult fixtures ahead I'm not particuly optimistic from what iv have seen so far this season that things are going to get much better

But you never know, not like iv never been wrong before I'm my life.

I doubt many will be on the back foot against Southampton for 30 minutes of the game, certainly not teams with top 4 aspirations.
Let's hold it here. We were not on the back foot against Southampton for 30 mins. I'm absolutely fine critiquing us but let's park hyperbole. There was a 15min spell where we were under the cosh. Just like like there was for Liverpool when they played Ipswich.
However, like I said, these teams are/have improved already since the early games and may well be a problem for other teams now too. My point was that it was a good time to play them, but we still haven't been as great as many are making out. Posters are talking as though we are raining down on their goal, when that hasn't been the case. I would actually like to ask these posters how much they have seen of other teams, because if they think what we are producing is finally some great football that will take us anywhere, they're probably going to be in for a surprise. I still see smaller teams than us doing better in certain aspects of the game. Forest, for example, look far more dangerous than us, and also beat Liverpool whilst keeping a clean sheet. What we are producing now, in my opinion, is still nowhere near the levels that even smaller teams were producing last season.

Keeping possession at the back whilst creating 2 or 3 chances a game, isn't something to hang your hat on. Especially when we still give away good chances at the other end. And this is in games that have been favourable to us. In two or three months we might well find ourselves looking in crisis again. I think we should be fine until December with the players we have and lack of injuries, which would put is right in the mix. But in reality, I know it will probably work out nothing like that.
I understand what you're saying but you still didn't answer my question.

Wel

He wouldn’t be my pick but he’s had a lot more success getting out of group stages than Ten Hag’s had!
I’m not sure he’s ever even participated in one at the domestic level. Kind of tells you why I hope the links are simply clickbait.

I can’t be bothered to go look but assume ETh’s knock out group record is decent given he managed Ajax. If you mean United specific then he’s 0/1 yes compared to 0/0.

You're just making shit up in your mind to suit your agenda. Antony was a United target before we signed Ten Hag, but after we signed Ten Hag then De Jong become the priority and all effort was directed towards signing him. The previous management team was literally incapable of performing more than a single task at a time, they couldn't even sell a player because they were so focused on signing De Jong, so even if Antony was priority target at the beginning of July, which there is no evidence to suggest he was, the club made the decision to focus on De Jong and we have to assume Ten Hag fully agreed.

Whatever our scouting team valued him at, it was irrelevant, Ajax valued him around 55 mil in the beginning of the transfer window, and we had no interest at that time, or our main interest was elsewhere. It was only when the club caved to outside pressure and loaned Greenwood did they then have to panic and find a replacement for him. It was at that point we went in for Antony, based on the club decision with Ten Hag approval, but Murtough and Arnold did the negotiating, that's how things work. Thinking Ten Hag is involved with discussions on player price in negotiations is akin to him putting himself in at CB when we have a spate of injuries. It's literally not his job, even if he wants it. But the club choosing to go into this transfer at the end of the window, once Ajax sold their whole team, is not on Ten Hag, it was a club decision.

If Antony was that important to Ten Hag, like 90 mil important, then we would have prioritized him over 60 mil De Jong who Barca was more than happy to sell at any point in the summer. The fact we signed Numerous players before we got to signing Antony, and it was clearly a last minute panic buy, prove this. At the time people attributed the panic purchase to a reaction to losing to Brighton and Brentford, but very likely it was a panic in reaction to having to replace a player whom they planned to use all summer long. If we didn't loan out Greenwood then where would Antony have played that season?

Who knows if Ten Hag is the right guy, unfortunately it's seeming less and less likely by the day, but the price of Antony is not a stick you can beat him with, nor do you need it, just talk about our football and quite chatting shit to try and build up your case against Ten Hag.

He has a transfer veto and (like all managers) a limited transfer budget. If he felt the fee was too high he would have vetoed the transfer. The only sensible conclusion anyone could reach is that he desperately wanted the player and that he was a key addition. Whether he wanted another player more is irrelevant.

Last edited:
He has a transfer veto and (like all managers) a limited transfer budget. If he felt the fee was too high he would have vetoed the transfer. The only sensible conclusion anyone could reach is that he desperately wanted the player and that he was a key addition. Whether he wanted another player more is irrelevant.
He quite obviously desperately wanted him and was aware and happy with the price, anyone questioning that only does that because they have gone too deeply in their ETH love in to back down now.

The club should not have agreed to that signing obviously, any well run club wouldn’t, but acting as if they went behind his back to sign his former player for £85m and did not even consult him is lunacy.

He quite obviously desperately wanted him and was aware and happy with the price, anyone questioning that only does that because they have gone too deeply in their ETH love in to back down now.

The club should not have agreed to that signing obviously, any well run club wouldn’t, but acting as if they went behind his back to sign his former player for £85m and did not even consult him is lunacy.
So true. There's absolutely no way in hell Erik wasn't aware that we were going to spend that much on him. Plus he had his veto which obviously wasn't used to block it and say " No, he's good. But not anywhere near £80 million good". So obviously he knew all about it.
Anyone saying he didn't is talking out their ass.

A veto is to say no to a proposed player by the club, he can't announce, Veto - Antony, and then the club is bound to sign Antony.

But at that point why would he veto? He lost a player he factored into his plans (Greenwood) and lost him because of poor planning by the club. So I would imagine at that point he was just happy to have anyone come in to fill that void and he did have a working relationship with Antony, so it all made sense. But again, the cost has literally zero to do with him. And that transfer happened at the very end of the window, a window where until we lost to Brighton and Brentford seemed more or less closed for United. I am sure even if he had a say in the price he would have assumed that was the last signing and saving 15 mil didn't mean he would get a fullback. But all hypothetical, because this guy isn't literally in the room haggling over prices and anyone that thinks he is part of that is a delusional fool.

I guess I don’t think there is any tactical setup in which this group of players score loads of goals regularly. Would Pep or Klopp do better, probably. But I still think our group of attackers will struggle regardless of how good the system is.

There are other managers in the PL besides those two who have got their teams scoring more goals on fewer resources.

I honestly just think some fans have become so accustomed to mediocre play that they are now overly impressed with the sort of attacking play that is fairly commonplace amongst other PL teams. Great, we’re creating a few more chances, but we still have trouble scoring goals and winning games. Fair enough if the former convinces you the latter is definitely going to happen, but I’ll believe it when I see it on a consistent basis. We have much tougher opposition coming up and we still routinely have games like the Twente one where our attacking patterns of play, if you can call them that, can’t even find a way through fairly limited teams in a game that’s pretty open. It’s not good enough, and Ten Hag has to take some responsibility for that. It can’t always be blamed 100% on the players.

Last edited:
I’ve read in here about how there have been improvements from last season but from watching our games I just cannot see it. The statistics used may be skewed from the Southampton and Barnsley results, so whilst a very small sample size I think the only way to make a comparison would be the 4 corresponding matches we’ve had against - Fulham, Brighton, Liverpool and Palace.

Over these 4 games (this season) we’ve scored 3 less, conceded 3 less, have the same goal difference of -3 and accumulated the same points (4)

Whilst I believe the squad has improved, along with the injury crisis, our results so far have not and I don’t see anything that makes me believe they will. If anyone can point out why they think they will I’m all ears but for me the only constant during this has been the manager and he hasn’t shown any improvement, so it’s time to move on.

Regarding xG, would someone be kind enough to explain how this stat would be affected by a player in 1v1, or penalty situation where they are expected to score - the keeper saves but the ball comes back to the player and they are expected to score again? Would this result in there being 2 xG? As surely that is impossible as both cannot be scored or does the stat account for such situations? Hope that makes sense, cheers!

Reactions: Cheimoon
So true. There's absolutely no way in hell Erik wasn't aware that we were going to spend that much on him. Plus he had his veto which obviously wasn't used to block it and say " No, he's good. But not anywhere near £80 million good". So obviously he knew all about it.
Anyone saying he didn't is talking out their ass.
That they went behind his back to sign him at £85m implies that they would not have even asked Antony’s former manager to evaluate him. As incompetent as our former governors may have been, it doesn’t even sound plausible for them.

Then you might obviously question whether ten Hag would have been able to tell whether he’s worth £85m or not, but that in turn implies that he would have zero idea of how much players are worth in transfer market and even your average half clued up fan has pretty good understanding of that. A manager as meticulous as him who loves to micro-manage every aspect of his role would not be completely oblivious to players valuation.

The fact Kudus was available for £40m and we went for Antony at double that is the true crime here.

Indeed. He was a crap signing and ETH is acknowledging that now by not picking him.

:lol:

Thinking that players need to be "drilled" to know not to leave a player like Palmer completely free in a situation like that is a new kind of stupid, I have to say.
Very nice, doubling down. This is peak "everything good that happens is due to ETH, everything bad that happens is individual mistakes from players".

I really need to stop clicking the "show ignored content" button.

hot take this-haven’t read it ever before

A veto is to say no to a proposed player by the club, he can't announce, Veto - Antony, and then the club is bound to sign Antony.

But at that point why would he veto? He lost a player he factored into his plans (Greenwood) and lost him because of poor planning by the club. So I would imagine at that point he was just happy to have anyone come in to fill that void and he did have a working relationship with Antony, so it all made sense. But again, the cost has literally zero to do with him. And that transfer happened at the very end of the window, a window where until we lost to Brighton and Brentford seemed more or less closed for United. I am sure even if he had a say in the price he would have assumed that was the last signing and saving 15 mil didn't mean he would get a fullback. But all hypothetical, because this guy isn't literally in the room haggling over prices and anyone that thinks he is part of that is a delusional fool.

I know what a veto is and that's exactly the point - he has final say on whether they sign a player or not. He obviously wanted him badly, and was either so keen on him he didn't care about the fee, or at best was indifferent to it.

And he'd veto because clearly, spending that sum of money on a single player impacted the budget when we were clearly light elsewhere. And that meant having to take on Weghorst mid-season instead of being able to spend in January. That signing is impacting the clubs ability to spend now, because of how the sustainability rules work.

I don't understand fans speculating, making assumptions and twisting common sense, straightforward points to defend a manager who has objectively failed in his job. Bizarre.

There's plenty to criticise ETH for, and enough to get him the sack - but one unavailable point is how poor he is at identifying talent.

Last edited:
Very nice, doubling down. This is peak "everything good that happens is due to ETH, everything bad that happens is individual mistakes from players".

I voted "sack". But anyone thinking that goal has anything to do with Ten Hag's coaching is an idiot, plain and simple.

So do I.

:lol:

Thinking that players need to be "drilled" to know not to leave a player like Palmer completely free in a situation like that is a new kind of stupid, I have to say.

It's a typical situation that rely almost exclusively on coaching and instructions. Coverage and marking on set pieces isn't improvised and it's generally the main topic of the last training session.

Because Erik only tells them to do good things. When they do bad things Erik obviously didn't tell them to do that.

There are other managers in the PL besides those two who have got their teams scoring more goals on fewer resources.

I honestly just think some fans have become so accustomed to mediocre play that they are now overly impressed with the sort of attacking play that is fairly commonplace amongst other PL teams. Great, we’re creating a few more chances, but we still have trouble scoring goals and winning games. Fair enough if the former convinces you the latter is definitely going to happen, but I’ll believe it when I see it on a consistent basis. We have much tougher opposition coming up and we still routinely have games like the Twente one where our attacking patterns of play, if you can call them that, can’t even find a way through fairly limited teams in a game that’s pretty open. It’s not good enough, and Ten Hag has to take some responsibility for that. It can’t always be blamed 100% on the players.
Sadly, that's a fact.

That's how so many were over the moon about the hour against Palace and forgetting that the Liverpool result could've easily been another 7-0 if they cared a bit more about boosting the scoreline instead of playing rondos next to our box.

:lol: Sure dude. Because players never feck up.

That's not the point, players can absolutely mess up. But you suggested that players don't need to be drilled for these situations when it's totally wrong, it's one of the few situations where every single team is drilled and gameplan on a weekly basis.