Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s a work in progress because he’s making every player worse.

I dont think that is true. He was important in the Garnacho and Mainoo breakthrough. Dalot is a much better player now and he did get Harry Maguire to look like a professional footballer again at times. Casemiro looks bad now but that could also be age. Rashford had his best (and maybe also his worst) season while ETH was the manager. I do think Bruno does have his worst form since joining the club so far during this season.

Signing Antony for all the money did set the progress back or atleast put it on hold. All that wasted money, we could have gotten one excellent or maybe even two good players for that instead.

I'm leaning quite comfortably towards wanting him gone myself. You don't have to post irrational, stupid shite and blame him for absolutely every single little thing to do that.

But I guess it's more comfortable. That way you can (once again) convince yourself everything will sort itself out once the manager is gone.

I'm leaning quite comfortably towards wanting him gone myself. You don't have to post irrational, stupid shite and blame him for absolutely every single little thing to do that.

But I guess it's more comfortable. That way you can (once again) convince yourself everything will sort itself out once the manager is gone.

I agree and you should follow that advice. Set pieces undeniably rely on coaching and following strict instructions, now there is always the possibility that someone miss his assignment but it's extremely silly to suggest that players don't need to be drilled when it comes to set pieces, on both sides of the ball.

I dont think that is true. He was important in the Garnacho and Mainoo breakthrough. Dalot is a much better player now and he did get Harry Maguire to look like a professional footballer again at times. Casemiro looks bad now but that could also be age. Rashford had his best (and maybe also his worst) season while ETH was the manager. I do think Bruno does have his worst form since joining the club so far during this season.

Signing Antony for all the money did set the progress back or atleast put it on hold. All that wasted money, we could have gotten one excellent or maybe even two good players for that instead.
Good players will always shine regardless of who the manager is, Messi has never had a bad season under a poor manager. That’s an extreme example I know, but a coaches real worth is what he gets out of the players that are limited. As it stands Ten Hag has regressed even some of our top players due to over reliance.

I agree and you should follow that advice. Set pieces undeniably rely on coaching and following strict instructions, now there is always the possibility that someone miss his assignment but it's extremely silly to suggest that players don't need to be drilled when it comes to set pieces, on both sides of the ball.
Come on, you know better than this. I've never suggested that players don't need to be drilled on set pieces, just that blaming the manager for one individual brainfart set piece is incredibly moronic.

We were 3-2 up having played 90+9 minutes. Then Chelsea equalized from a clumsily conceded penalty and scored a deflection winner within two minutes. Blaming the manager for that is just stupid.

Let's hold it here. We were not on the back foot against Southampton for 30 mins. I'm absolutely fine critiquing us but let's park hyperbole. There was a 15min spell where we were under the cosh. Just like like there was for Liverpool when they played Ipswich.

I understand what you're saying but you still didn't answer my question.

It's not supposed to be hyperbole, but I can't be bothered to go into detail over nuance of each game. Basically they held their own for the first 30 minutes, should have been ahead. Even the pundits were saying they were the better team for half an hour and nobody was denying it at the time. They missed a pen, we scored, and their heads went. They couldn't string passes together and were all over the place defensively. Basically getting everything wrong all of a sudden, that they had been doing well. I believe this has happened in a few of their games so far.

I've not seen enough of other teams with similar prospects to know how they're faring against teams at the bottom of the league. I attempted to answer by saying that I'd be surprised if many were second best for 30 minutes against Southampton. But also wouldn't be surprised if it happened vs palace, as I expect them to find form. I can't see how anybody struggles against a Palace team playing like they did against us though, they had no ambition and were miles off it. They only did OK because they kept their defensive shape well, but on the ball the likes of Wharton and Eze didn't play to their usual level. To have a whole half without creating much against a team with zero ambition in the game is poor.

It's not supposed to be hyperbole, but I can't be bothered to go into detail over nuance of each game. Basically they held their own for the first 30 minutes, should have been ahead. Even the pundits were saying they were the better team for half an hour and nobody was denying it at the time. They missed a pen, we scored, and their heads went. They couldn't string passes together and were all over the place defensively. Basically getting everything wrong all of a sudden, that they had been doing well. I believe this has happened in a few of their games so far.

I've not seen enough of other teams with similar prospects to know how they're faring against teams at the bottom of the league. I attempted to answer by saying that I'd be surprised if many were second best for 30 minutes against Southampton. But also wouldn't be surprised if it happened vs palace, as I expect them to find form. I can't see how anybody struggles against a Palace team playing like they did against us though, they had no ambition and were miles off it. They only did OK because they kept their defensive shape well, but on the ball the likes of Wharton and Eze didn't play to their usual level. To have a whole half without creating much against a team with zero ambition in the game is poor.
I see what you're saying, but even arguing we were second best to Southampton for 30 mins is over exaggerating the match.

And I gave you an example of Liverpool who really struggled for the first 45 mins to Ipswich away from home. Chelsea were completely outplayed by Bournemouth too. I don't think arsenal were great vs Tottenham, probably same against Wolves as we were vs Fulham, spurs sucked against Newcastle. And Newcastle have sucked every game this season apart from vs Spurs.

There's not a single team outside of City that hasn't surrendered periods of control to the opposition for 10-20 mins in games.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying, but even arguing we were second best to Southampton for 30 mins is over exaggerating the match.

And I gave you an example of Liverpool who really struggled for the first 45 mins to Ipswich away from home. Chelsea were completely outplayed by Bournemouth too. I don't think arsenal were great vs Tottenham, probably same against Wolves as we were vs Fulham, spurs sucked against Newcastle. And Newcastle have sucked every game this season apart from vs Spurs.

There's not a single team outside of City thar hasn't surrendered periods of control to the opposition for 10-20 mins in games.
Southampton were the better team until the pen miss

Southampton were the better team until the pen miss
No they weren't. They had a 15 minute period of confident play and capitalised on our inability to play out from the back. But it's wasn't 30 mins and had zirkzee put away his 2 yard tap in, we'd have been unlikely to see the penalty incident at all.

Even if we argue we were second best to Southampton away from home, what's the point being made? That top teams don't ever do this? OK, I guess the first 45 in Ipswich vs Liverpool just didn't happen.

Come on, you know better than this. I've never suggested that players don't need to be drilled on set pieces, just that blaming the manager for one individual brainfart set piece is incredibly moronic.

We were 3-2 up having played 90+9 minutes. Then Chelsea equalized from a clumsily conceded penalty and scored a deflection winner within two minutes. Blaming the manager for that is just stupid.

Except this was not a one off. Conceding such injury time goals has become a bit of a pattern under Ten Hag.

From the BBC:

“In Manchester United's 1,152 PL games before Erik ten Hag took charge, they conceded an injury-time winner just twice.
In their 78 Premier League games under the Dutchman, they have conceded six.”

There are lots of things that seem to have become reoccurring issues under Ten Hag’s management. Some posters try and attribute them purely to individual player errors, but it seems reasonable to suggest there might be some underlying coaching and tactical issues there too.

No they weren't. They had a 15 minute period of confident play and capitalised on our inability to play out from the back. But it's wasn't 30 mins and had zirkzee put away his 2 yard tap in, we'd have been unlikely to see the penalty incident at all.

Even if we argue we were second best to Southampton away from home, what's the point being made? That top teams don't ever do this? OK, I guess the first 45 in Ipswich vs Liverpool just didn't happen.
They would of been well worth their lead, this is a team that will get relegated by the way.
We scored against run of play

Top teams have poor periods but win the majority of their games, we on the other hand only have good periods and are looking easy to play against.