Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bizzare game. We were crap until Soton missed their penalty.

That would be Ole. Nobody gave him excuses like that how he had to make do with a midfield of McFred for 3 seasons, or how he didnt get Grealish, or he didnt get Haaland, or how the board only gave him a bunch of old past it strikers, or how he didnt negotiate the fees for Maguire or AWB, sound familiar with excuses thrown for Ten Hag? Wink wink...

We've even had fairly decent cup draws under Ten Hag as well right? I don't remember them being overly difficult.

The pages of excuses for Ten Hag has been hilarious. The level people will sink to support 'their man' is astonishing.

Let's be fair he's quite lucky to still be in this job. Had it not been for the takeover process there's a very good chance he would have been sacked in late 2023. And again in the summer if not for a combination of winning the cup and Ineos (apparently) not being able to find the man they wanted to replace him.

I suppose that is true. I expected him gone especially with the new owners and probably wanting their own man and the league position giving a good reason in spite of mitigations, but in more games than not fortune has really not favoured him - whether its close disallowed goals or complete meltdowns by the team, injury crises, very basic individual errors or teams somehow cracking one in the top corner from range he's definitely been on the rough end of the bounce in the last year

We've even had fairly decent cup draws under Ten Hag as well right? I don't remember them being overly difficult.

The pages of excuses for Ten Hag has been hilarious. The level people will sink to support 'their man' is astonishing.
That‘s true, we did not have teams like Brighton, Newcastle, Liverpool and Cheaty in our cup runs.

The injuries were overblown too: Casemiro and Evans are cb‘s any PL team would want in their line-ups. And no one plays with a striker these days anyway.

Yesterdays result changes nothing, I still think he is on borrowed time at this point.

We were awful in the opening 30 minutes yesterday and got outplayed by a newly promoted side which was embarrasing in honesty, Palace away next week is going to be a much harder game and if we start that game the way we started yesterday it could easilly be another heavy defeat.

Yesterdays result changes nothing, I still think he is on borrowed time at this point.

We were awful in the opening 30 minutes yesterday and got outplayed by a newly promoted side which was embarrasing in honesty, Palace away next week is going to be a much harder game and if we start that game the way we started yesterday it could easilly be another heavy defeat.
For once I agree, we can‘t start games like that and expect a decent season.

For once I agree, we can‘t start games like that and expect a decent season.

I don't tune much into his post-match interviews anymore, did he mention the poor start at all, or take any accountability, or was it all just rosey?

I suppose that is true. I expected him gone especially with the new owners and probably wanting their own man and the league position giving a good reason in spite of mitigations, but in more games than not fortune has really not favoured him - whether its close disallowed goals or complete meltdowns by the team, injury crises, very basic individual errors or teams somehow cracking one in the top corner from range he's definitely been on the rough end of the bounce in the last year

Listening to Roy Keane's summation on why Sir Alex was a top manager he stated that Ferguson would always take a gamble to win. In football especially management you make your own luck substantially. I don't think there's any consensus when assessing a highly paid professionals competency to simply assimilate everything to luck or some other factor that cannot be comprehensively measured accurately.

Individual errors are rectified by augmenting patterns so that players play through repetition instead of intuition, plus, if a player makes a mistake the structure of the team should accommodate depending on where the phase of play occurs, that's coaching how a team can respond to transitions in possession. Then in instances like Onana last season his poor performances in the UCL does reflect on the manager because it was the coach who advocated acquiring the player. So if a coach deservedly gets praised for purchasing a Martinez the same goes in the way of players who underperform.

The same can be said for meltdowns of the team, the coach's psychology should be imprinted into the players, Fergie time was accustomed to this principle as United wouldn't stop until a goal was scored and the rate of injury time winners significantly increases as a result. Cause and effect is the best way to define outcomes. Erik has subsided most outcomes due to his own contribution.

I don't tune much into his post-match interviews anymore, did he mention the poor start at all, or take any accountability, or was it all just rosey?
He did mention it but didn‘t make a big deal out of it. He said the saved penalty gave as a foothold in the game.

What I want to hear, is that it was unacceptable and we need to do better. He didn‘t go that far.

To be fair, Southampton was really sharp during that spell making it tough for us.

Dalot made a dumb mistake, but these things happen if you give the opponent too much space and time.

The penalty save saved us. It would obviously been a different game which we could have still won, but would have been much harder. TH tries to take the narrative that we were the better team or just unlucky even after some matches we have easily lost. That’s why hes parodied in the media and invites more scrutiny on some of his baffling decisions and excuses

Most has nothing to do with fortune but the way he set up the team, borderline suicidal.

Probably not many but if Ten Hag's vision for United revolves heavily around pressing then perhaps the majority of that £650m over the last 3 summers should have been spent with a focus on attacking players that fit that profile.
Probably but transitioning from awful to excellent isn't that simple. The best players won't come so you have to get the best out of what you have and buy or make the best you can get and hope your coach can make everything better. Then rinse and repeat till you get there. It's really very difficult, especially when you have a club and fans with super high unrealistic expectations and really fundamental problems with its infrastructure.

A win and three goals could make a difference if it get some confidence into this team.

Because if any team needed some confidence it's us.

The difference in performance before and after the penalty was crazy. It just shows you the difference mindset can make.

But for this to continue scoring goals has to happen. You can't build confidence without goals at the right time.

For all the talk of tactics and systems its goals that control games.

I'm not so sure but if true why do you think he then switched (or tried to) switch to a more pressing heavy style with little focus on possession in 2023?
I think he got the shit scared out of him by that Brentford 4-0 early on and became more pragmatic after that.

I'm still trying to work out the answer to that last question. Maybe the club have tried pushing it on him. All I know is the execution is terrible.

Bad first 30 minutes, but after that it was easy going.

Still, there will be bigger challenges, but we have some easy games now to build some steam.

Wouldn't class any of our next 3 league games easy, did you forget what happened at Selhurst Park last May. Villa and Spurs will be tough tests for him as well

Fair enough but he has to at least share some responsibility for some of those things to varying degrees.

I wonder what happened to the 20 shots per game that United used to face which the ETH out brigade mentioning after every match :confused:

Probably but transitioning from awful to excellent isn't that simple. The best players won't come so you have to get the best out of what you have and buy or make the best you can get and hope your coach can make everything better. Then rinse and repeat till you get there. It's really very difficult, especially when you have a club and fans with super high unrealistic expectations and really fundamental problems with its infrastructure.

I don't think we've had a problem attracting players even when not in the CL. Our problem has been buying poorly, that was a problem pre Ten Hag and let's be honest he's added to the problem in his first 2 summer windows.

Yes it is difficult but we weren't that awful a team in 20-21, we were poor in 21-22 for obvious reasons, in Ten Hags first season we were decent again but we were worse than awful last season, just utter dogshit. So to be honest I'm not convinced excellent is the destination on this journey Ten Hag is taking us on. Looking at his tenure overall so far we are on a steep downward trajectory.

I think he got the shit scared out of him by that Brentford 4-0 early on and became more pragmatic after that.

I'm still trying to work out the answer to that last question. Maybe the club have tried pushing it on him. All I know is the execution is terrible.

Indeed.

We've seen other managers come in at lesser clubs, with smaller budgets and inferior players and implement possession based systems with varying degrees of success.

My opinion on ETH is not going to change based on one game vs. Southampton. We need to string a couple of these 2-0 and 3-0 comfortable wins for me to start believing in him again.

Shouldn't we be worrying as so many of you said it was actually a good thing?
Not one post that I have seen on this forum has made the claim that conceding tons of shots was a good thing. Imagine being upset that your own team is improving and winning. Genuinely baffling behaviour.

It's apparently the same as last year and nothing changed
I dont recall us facing around 20 shots per game or having the same defensive issues this year. Aside from the game against Liverpool, we generally been the better team in most of our games including the Community Shield against City. That is sad news for the ETH out brigade

I dont recall us facing around 20 shots per game or having the same defensive issues this year. Aside from the game against Liverpool, we generally been the better team in most of our games including the Community Shield against City. That is sad news for the ETH out brigade
Correct. We don't. There are still issues we need to fix for sure. But the narrative that we've changed nothing or not improved has always been utter bollocks.

Shouldn't we be worrying as so many of you said it was actually a good thing?
United have been the better team in every game this season except against Liverpool. With a bit more luck and composure, we should have won against City and Brighton. Judging by the fewer posts in the post match thread, I am starting to worry that you might stop posting altogether if we keep winning.

Indeed.

We've seen other managers come in at lesser clubs, with smaller budgets and inferior players and implement possession based systems with varying degrees of success.

It's pretty infuriating that we've had absolutely terrible playstyles in the post-Fergie era. There's not one manager who had me consistently enjoying our football.

Ole and Jose could string together wins at times, but that was about the height of it. We've won some trophies, but our football has been miles behind the elite teams. I did enjoy some of ETH's post WC football. We had about 2 months of looking like we were transitioning to a better playstyle, and I'm not really sure what transpired thereafter.

United have been the better team in every game this season except against Liverpool. With a bit more luck and composure, we should have won against City and Brighton. Judging by the fewer posts in the post match thread, I am starting to worry that you might stop posting altogether if we keep winning.
We weren't better than Brighton.

If you're now deciding that being better than conceding 20 shots per game is the low bar we need to beat, then yes we've been better in the 4 games so far this season. Give him a lifetime contract.

Less posts in post match threads after wins is not a new phenomenon you've stumbled on. We all know they are a Championship level side but it was good to get a win, nothing much to say on it.

Not one post that I have seen on this forum has made the claim that conceding tons of shots was a good thing. Imagine being upset that your own team is improving and winning. Genuinely baffling behaviour.
Can't be bothered digging them out but there was plenty saying it was fine because many of the shots weren't threatening. Or even that it was by design from Ten Hag.

One things for certain though, no one is upset about us winning. Keep making things up though.

Can't be bothered digging them out but there was plenty saying it was fine because many of the shots weren't threatening. Or even that it was by design from Ten Hag.

One things for certain though, no one is upset about us winning. Keep making things up though.
You are literally making things up, and have acknowledged it in this post. Goalposts immediately shifted from people were saying it’s a good thing, to people were saying it’s fine.

Not that I expected much different from your good self. Post after post of relentless negativity. I hope you do get some enjoyment from winning, however it doesn’t show in your posts.

We weren't better than Brighton.

If you're now deciding that being better than conceding 20 shots per game is the low bar we need to beat, then yes we've been better in the 4 games so far this season. Give him a lifetime contract.

Less posts in post match threads after wins is not a new phenomenon you've stumbled on. We all know they are a Championship level side but it was good to get a win, nothing much to say on it.
Not only we have improved this season but as I said we also been the better team in most of our games. I am confident we’ll finish in the top four and win a couple more trophies. The only thing that could derail our season is another injury crisis like last year. As I said before you probably stop posting altogether if we keep winning

Even if we win our next three on the bounce he still needs to go, there's no future under him at all. The Spurs/Arsenal game is showing that we're levels behind the top 5 PL teams.

It's pretty infuriating that we've had absolutely terrible playstyles in the post-Fergie era. There's not one manager who had me consistently enjoying our football.

Ole and Jose could string together wins at times, but that was about the height of it. We've won some trophies, but our football has been miles behind the elite teams. I did enjoy some of ETH's post WC football. We had about 2 months of looking like we were transitioning to a better playstyle, and I'm not really sure what transpired thereafter.

I suspect Erik is wondering as well.

I'd say the same Ole and Jose at times got the closest to enjoyable football. We scored a lot more goals at least.

Moyes was a wet fart all round, it would have only been more drudgery had he stayed. LVG and ETH I'm sure were/are both capable of getting a team to play at least decent football. But both set about trying to almost completely replace the squad in 24 months and I imagine that in itself isn't conducive to implementing an entertaining style of football with such a high turnover of new players coming in.

You are literally making things up, and have acknowledged it in this post. Goalposts immediately shifted from people were saying it’s a good thing, to people were saying it’s fine.

Not that I expected much different from your good self. Post after post of relentless negativity. I hope you do get some enjoyment from winning, however it doesn’t show in your posts.
Nah.

Fortunately there's life outside here then. And literally none of my posts have been 'negative' since yesterday's game apart from in your head.

I don't think we've had a problem attracting players even when not in the CL. Our problem has been buying poorly, that was a problem pre Ten Hag and let's be honest he's added to the problem in his first 2 summer windows.

We have never in recent years been the destination of choice for the very best players though. Let's be honest about that. We struggle to even attract unwanted elite cast offs like de Jong. We can only dream of getting Haarland or Rodri or Gundogan class players. Even Ugarte was forced out of PSG because they signed someone better. Class breeds class and money makes money and we aren't close to the level we need to be at.

Even if we win our next three on the bounce he still needs to go, there's no future under him at all. The Spurs/Arsenal game is showing that we're levels behind the top 5 PL teams.
Im not sure you picked the right game as a stick to beat EtH.
Arteta showed that 2 players unavailable turned his team into a slightly better Spurs, and Spurs have basically done feck all.
You might say you agree with me and that we’re not even on their level, but that would simply be dishonest in my opinion.

Ange is still living off his September 2023 run, and Arteta plays on the counter with only 2 players unavailable

We have never in recent years been the destination of choice for the very best players though. Let's be honest about that. We struggle to even attract unwanted elite cast offs like de Jong. We can only dream of getting Haarland or Rodri or Gundogan class players. Even Ugarte was forced out of PSG because they signed someone better. Class breeds class and money makes money and we aren't close to the level we need to be at.

No one other than City could have signed Haaland the summer they did because the metric feck tonne of money they are paying him, his father and his agency.

We couldn't have signed Rodri from Atletico for £60m? Or Gundogan for £20m in 2016 the same summer we paid £90m and attracted Pogba? Well I'm not so sure in either case mate.