Erik ten Hag | 2024/25

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

• and crack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Results aside, because early season they can be unrepresentative, the goal difference after 4 games of 0 is totally consistent with last season.

Yes, we won with a good scoreline but I am really unhappy with this tactics. It seems we were trying to play on the left and nothing coming from the right but once the play was switched, Amad was taking on defenders and creating chances. Amad was taking on defenders and our FB provided good overlapping runs and yet we keep trying to attack on the right. Anywa, I hope I see him gone by Christmas .
We win comfortably away from home 3-0 and you're unhappy, I think you need to find another sport to follow because you are not going to be happy following any football team

Very concerning that we seem to have completely given up pressing the opponent. Any half decent team will outplay us unless that’s fixed.
Can’t press with Eriksen and Mainoo, on top of that ETH can’t coach

Plenty are in the post match thread!

This is the Ten Hag thread, which is why I posted my opinion on him specifically with regards to today's game.
I haven't read the post but Il guess you complained about him anyway, even in the context of today's game?

Why so miserable?
We lost to a pool side who are better than us, we were unlucky against Brighton and have beaten the two teams who I’d class as lower half opposition.
We are going nowhere under ETH after spending 600 millions.
If you are Ok with losing 3-0 at home against Pool, we agree to disagree.
We are boring as feck to watch also. We finished 8th last year and it’s the same old sh*t. We are just wasting time.

We are going nowhere under ETH after spending 600 millions.
If you are Ok with losing 3-0 at home against Pool, we agree to disagree.
We are boring as feck to watch also. We finished 8th last year and it’s the same old sh*t. We are just wasting time.
It’s not about being ‘ok’ with losing, it’s that you seem so unhappy we’ve won. Any 0-3 win away from home is not ‘standards dropping’, think what you want of ETH but they came out guns blazing, as is usually the case away from home, and then we got a hold of the game and got a good win and performance from the team.

ETH needs to solve 2 basic things to have a future here.

1. Improve our chance creation by 30-40%
2. Stop our players from making stupid mistakes(Case against pool as a reference point)

Just by doing these 2 things, we are basically guranteed top4. If he fails to address these 2 things, he will not survive this season.

Not necessarily, we've been huffing and puffing away at it for over a season now. And I don't think the pressing in and of itself is the problem. I'm just not sure Ten Hag knows how to set the team up in defence and attack while maintaining the type of pressing formation he's trying to implement. It could be a personnel issue also.
It's definitely a personnel issue. The idea pressing player is young, fast, fit, willing, technically good and injury resistant. How many of our players are all six?

It's definitely a personnel issue. The idea pressing player is young, fast, fit, willing, technically good and injury resistant. How many of our players are all six?
How many of our players meet half that criteria never mind all of them!

All the Liverpool game showed is that if you loet possesion needlessly in your defensive third good teams will punish you
It wasn't just that though I feel. Our attack was so ineffectual that when we committed lots of players forward against Liverpool we did very little with it. This high risk-high reward football he wants is really high risk and with no reward. Given our situation I really don't mind us being a little bit more conservative for a while, just to get some results and the confidence flowing.

2. Stop our players from making stupid mistakes(Case against pool as a reference point)

Just by doing these 2 things, we are basically guranteed top4. If he fails to address these 2 things, he will not survive this season.
Not even the first, this season were only behind Pool and City for xG. Creation isn’t an issue, finishing has been awful.

All this press height debate, anyone considered you refine your tic tacs to suit the opposition?

Or is everyone that high on the high press kool-aid that it’s no lionger ‘acceptable’ to not have 6 men on the oppositions keeper at all times? (and then complain about gaps in midfield!)
The latter part of the first half, Southampton wasn‘t pressed in any sort of coordinated way and totally played around and through us. What the feck were we doing?

We pressed high the rest of the game and controlled them.

It wasn't just that though I feel. Our attack was so ineffectual that when we committed lots of players forward against Liverpool we did very little with it. This high risk-high reward football he wants is really high risk and with no reward. Given our situation I really don't mind us being a little bit more conservative for a while, just to get some results and the confidence flowing.
It was ineffective but that's not why we lost that game

Funny because we were most vulnerable when we did not press high. You either commit to the press or sit off in a compact shape. For 30 minutes, we did neither.

The latter part of the first half, Southampton wasn‘t pressed in any sort of coordinated way and totally played around and through us. What the feck were we doing?

We pressed high the rest of the game and controlled them.
We were busy scoring 2 goals in the latter part of the first half!

Plenty of shots on target today. We did make a big mistake: the Dalot tackle.

We were busy scoring 2 goals in the latter part of the first half!
After we got overrun. The saved penalty got us back on track.

It was very concerning: against a good team you concede 1-3 goals in that period. Game over.

After we got overrun. The saved penalty got us back on track.

It was very concerning: against a good team you concede 1-3 goals in that period. Game over.
Yeah let's also ignore zirkzee failed to put away a tap in before too

How many of our players meet half that criteria never mind all of them!
On the field today... Mainoo Dalot De Ligt Martinez Zirkzee Ugarte (hopefully) Garnacho
So seven out of ten outfield. Not terrible but not great.

One big improvement from last season has been the shots faced…Coaches are doing something right, long may it continue.

Ugarte should help that statistic as well.

I don’t know mate. I don’t have any coaching badges, don’t like to pretend I do, and didn’t listen to the team talk. I just enjoy watching, for better or worse.

Is it possible we just took a while to get going, have low confidence / nerves / were outplayed for 20 minutes?

Still chuckling at the “end of days” proclamations in the pre-match thread if I’m honest!

Fitness levels.

Why are our players never fully match fit at the start of each of ETH seasons?

Why isn't he getting them match fit during the summer. They are only now starting to look match fit in my opinion.

Fitness levels.

Why isn't he getting them match fit during the summer. They are only now starting to look match fit in my opinion.

Did you think to look at our preseason squad before committing this to the internet?

Did you think to look at our preseason squad before committing this to the internet?

Yeah I'm aware they all came back at various different times. Maybe we should have been using the lads who'd had more action during the summer then instead of throwing the likes of Martinez and Bruno into action without enough game time.

Ok you answer then. Who from the preseason squad should be playing ahead of the players who came back late?
Miss me with that shit, as a club we are paying our manager and trainers big money. They have a squad and an expensive one at that.

Don't know why people are complaining about the pressing, you have to alter your approach to the game as it changes.

It was clear as day to drop off, stay compact and not chase them with Eriksen and Mainoo midfield was the better option. Once that was sorted out Southampton couldn't do a thing, their best chances came when Utd got stretched and they isolated Dalot at left back. Onana's save, the de Ligt clearance and Dalot giving away a penalty.
They never got a sniff after that.

Second half was a professional performance, just controlling the game and seein it out, while still creating 2 or 3 more scoring opportunities.

Fitness levels.

Think you're confusing fitness with confidence levels. Every team including the mighty city have started the season with players at various levels of fitness. This isn't something new.

Like who?
Eriksen was back earlier than others for one.

I get what you are saying, feels a bit like you're on my case but I suppose you are right. Still think our fitness levels arent good enough at the start of each season.

Ok you answer then. Who from the preseason squad should be playing ahead of the players who came back late?
Well obviously Maguire and Evans should be starting, Collyer with Casemiro in midfield and Wheatly up front, first sub on is Antony unless he starts as a 10 :rolleyes::nervous: