Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yep like I said before, if he was managing any other team in the prem we'd all be staggered by just how unlikeable he is.

The sad truth is, if he was managing Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool like this we would be laughing at how unambitious they are for keeping the guy and how they are doomed to mediocrity.

It didn't make sense to keep him this summer, and it certainly doesn't make sense to keep him now.

The sad truth is, if he was managing Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool like this we would be laughing at how unambitious they are for keeping the guy and how they are doomed to mediocrity.

It didn't make sense to keep him this summer, and it certainly doesn't make sense to keep him now.

Definitely. None of the others have ever kept a manager for so long under such dire circumstances. It's 2-3 months of dross and curtains roll at pretty much every serious club.

Why did he play Mainoo against Villa after he’d come off in the previous match with a hamstring complaint?

This seems to be a common thing for him with players. Then he moans about his bad luck..

He's always going to be one game away from the sack, with his "job on the line".

No way to manage a football club, completely unsustainable.
The vast majority of people on this forum understand this.
The issue is that INEOS don't seem to get this. And it is quite astounding.
Right now, everybody (players and manager) is in limbo, not knowing what is going to happen. This is a terrible way to run a club.

So basically, unless you know these people personally and have spoken with them face to face, you can either be positive about them or have no opinion.

I swear literally nobody works like that.
On the contrary, not judging people's personality on how they appear in interviews and press conferences seems like a totally normal thing to me.

They fecked up in the summer by not sacking him, I think they probably realize that now. And if you don't sack him after 50-60 awful performance/results last season maybe they then can't justify sacking him 8/10 awful performances/results into this season, it'd make them look like a bunch of amateurs. So they're going to give him another 10-15 games for one last roll of the dice in the faint hope he can actually turn it around to some extent. That's the only reason I can think why he hasn't been sacked this past week.
Two wrongs don't make a right in cases like this unfortunately. Keeping him at the wheel after you have lost faith in him is even more amateurish. Keeping him for 10-15 more games would do a lot more damage than looking like amateurs.

On the contrary, not judging people's personality on how they appear in interviews and press conferences seems like a totally normal thing to me.
It happens all over the place. You go to a US politics thread and people have views on Trump, go to Musk’s thread and people will talk about his character there. I’m pretty sure most of them will not have spent substantial amount of time with them in a room, and will be judging based on what they’ve seen/heard in media and interviews.

Also happens so often with our rivals and their players. We pass judgments on them based on what they say/do and how it’s portrayed in media and nobody comes in and says ‘you should not say anything negative about X before you’ve spent y hours with them face to face’.

It happens all over the place. You go to a US politics thread and people have views on Trump, go to Musk’s thread and people will talk about his character there. I’m pretty sure most of them will not have spent substantial amount of time with them in a room, and will be judging based on what they’ve seen/heard in media and interviews.

Also happens so often with our rivals and their players. We pass judgments on them based on what they say/do and how it’s portrayed in media and nobody comes in and says ‘you should not say anything negative about X before you’ve spent y hours with them face to face’.
So are you saying that Donald Trump is actually a really great guy if you get to know him? (If so I really have no words, that the guy is actually running for president, and has support, and is not in jail, simply makes me lose all faith in the future of humanity)

In addition with both Trump and Musk, both have made decisions which are far reaching and have affected many people, it is reasonable for people to form opinions based on how they, or other people have been affected.

Also given the unavailability of these people, who have made themselves into public entities, how else would people form opinions? and given that they are choosing to project this version of themselves publicly is there a reason that they should not be judged on this basis?

There has to be an acceptance and a responsibility for people who are in the public eye that they take some ownership of how they are portrayed.

I didn’t suggest it was an absolute. Just that other people’s approach may differ, and offered mine as an example.

I didn’t say I was right and you were wrong either :)

And to be clear, I’m talking specifically about making judgements on people’s character.

The vast majority of people on this forum understand this.
The issue is that INEOS don't seem to get this. And it is quite astounding.
Right now, everybody (players and manager) is in limbo, not knowing what is going to happen. This is a terrible way to run a club.
INEOS are paying the bills and looking at a close to 17 million outlay for nothing. I believe they would have to get very deep in the CL and League to make up some of those lost pounds. They are between a rock and hard place, should have never resigned him.
Have to be cognizant that with sports teams there is the operations and the finance which should run somewhat independent of each other. The operations should have oversight and finance more on the advising end. This team has run it ass end backwards since SAF left, hence why we are where we are.
Does it make sense to keep Casemero and let McTominay go? However McTominay being homegrown is pure to the bottom line, I did like Casemero 5-6 yrs ago, but a 27 yr old 6'4" player who has probably 4 or 5 yrs left to play vs a 32 yr old 6'1" player who is gearing for the MLS duty and spends more time on the bench at this point emphasis the decisions they are making. They have no hope in hell of recouping the outlay for Casemero.
The fear at this point is how much say ETH has with future decisions. This team has been grasping for over 10 yrs since signing Fellaini and that has been exasperated with the inability to bring in a top striker. Martial, how this guy lasted longer than a week is baffling. Really how is it that Manchester United has not had a top current striker for over 10 yrs? It absolutely defies logic. Forget the "past the prime guys", I am talking up and coming star striker that Real, or Juv or Barcelona would be jealous of?

So are you saying that Donald Trump is actually a really great guy if you get to know him? (If so I really have no words, that the guy is actually running for president, and has support, and is not in jail, simply makes me lose all faith in the future of humanity)

In addition with both Trump and Musk, both have made decisions which are far reaching and have affected many people, it is reasonable for people to form opinions based on how they, or other people have been affected.

Also given the unavailability of these people, who have made themselves into public entities, how else would people form opinions? and given that they are choosing to project this version of themselves publicly is there a reason that they should not be judged on this basis?

There has to be an acceptance and a responsibility for people who are in the public eye that they take some ownership of how they are portrayed.
I'm not saying that at all, actually the opposite. People are going to judge others by how they come across in the only space they can see them in, in this case it's going to be media/interviews. It's a normal thing.

I get what you're saying but they aren't really the same thing.

One is politics and American politics at that which has a huge impact on most of the world. The other is a man who is trying to be successful at a football club and deals with politics of two sets of owners after years of neglect and after previous world class managers who couldn't make it work. Yes, money was spent - money was spent with all managers. Maybe it won't work out but maybe it will. What choice do they really have now? He's tied down only 2 months with an extension on his contract and he isn't going anywhere for at least the short term.

Where I do agree, he's in the public eye - when things are bad, he looks stupid and incompetent. When he was doing well he was labelled a ''genius'', all in the space of a season. As fans, we act emotionally (we all do). Personally, whether it's right or wrong to keep him - the club needs calm right now.

We all want the same thing - we want the club to be back at the top - it's a roller-coaster with ups and downs. Hopefully it starts going up again soon.

Maybe the club believe ETh, McClaren, Benni and Our own Dalot when they say it’s about to click. But there must be something in this for them to say it. Similarly, the INEOS team are seeing things on the training ground that they are buying it too. But come on, we haven’t looked like clicking for a full 90 minutes once in his tenure here. The regression is more apparent and increase the more we spend - it’s a spiral of football incompetence that has never been seen at this level before in the PL I’d go as far of saying. When he started I swore I’d back him until the deadwood and down toolers from previous managers were gone and a proper rebuild had happened. The rebuild has happened and we are a lot worse. He has zero excuse and unless we start winning, and winning with good football, then match going fans will turn. Comfortably our worst manager in PL history and beyond maybe.

Maybe the club believe ETh, McClaren, Benni and Our own Dalot when they say it’s about to click. But there must be something in this for them to say it. Similarly, the INEOS team are seeing things on the training ground that they are buying it too. But come on, we haven’t looked like clicking for a full 90 minutes once in his tenure here. The regression is more apparent and increase the more we spend - it’s a spiral of football incompetence that has never been seen at this level before in the PL I’d go as far of saying. When he started I swore I’d back him until the deadwood and down toolers from previous managers were gone and a proper rebuild had happened. The rebuild has happened and we are a lot worse. He has zero excuse and unless we start winning, and winning with good football, then match going fans will turn. Comfortably our worst manager in PL history and beyond maybe.
McClaren and Benni are gone. I saw an interview with Benni last week and he said the training was a very high standard and when it came to a match, the players couldn't do it. I don't see a reason for him to lie. He was let go by United and had no reason to be loyal and back them. I think he was honest. If that's a case, the biggest problem is mentality. Can another manager fix that? We've had proven world class managers with elite mentality and they couldn't get the ball rolling for more than a season. This is where I would defend Ten Hag. He could be doing everything right and to a high standard. Just when it kicks off on matchday it goes to shite.