Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Realistically, and I really stress I mean realistically, how bad does it need to get before he's replaced. What needs to happen, what are the red lines?
He has 7 games before the next international break. Those 7 games will prolly determine if he is gone in the next month or if he brought himself some more time till Christmas.

He has 7 games before the next international break. Those 7 games will prolly determine if he is gone in the next month or if he brought himself some more time till Christmas.
I think he would need to do pretty damn bad in those 7 games though.

It feels like the script is perfectly set up for mourinho with fenerbache to be the game that puts the final nail in ten hag tenure at united.

Ineos didn't make a mistake. If Eth was sacked at end of last season, people would keep saying man utd has no patience and is a club that likes to sack managers. No patience with LVG even after he won the fa cup.

Nonsense.

United have a firmly established (and comical, at this point) reputation of not sacking managers (whether they deserve it or not).

And nobody beyond a certain segment of fans would have reacted negatively to ETH being sacked (as he should have been) after the FA Cup final.

The media would've 100% gone with the narrative that INEOS were "ruthless" (or something) - they would NOT have been pushing any story along the lines of INEOS being "impatient".

Ineos didn't make a mistake. If Eth was sacked at end of last season, people would keep saying man utd has no patience and is a club that likes to sack managers. No patience with LVG even after he won the fa cup.

:lol: :lol:

Brilliant.

Obviously you're joking but could you imagine if were are people out there that think we don't give managers enough time? :D

That shouldn’t be too hard for this incompetent coach to do. He has already done pretty damn bad. All he needs to do is maintain that consistency.
I think it's way more likely he will be just above the line, probably gotten us to about 10th and surviving.

It was offside by VAR wasn’t it? Pretty objective and not the ref failing to do their job.

From memory we were denied a penalty and the penalty they got was pretty debatable.
A mid table championship team took us to 3-3, was millimetres away winning in normal time, then lost to us on penalties. Yes we dominated for like 70 mins, but it’s scary how close a championship team came to turning us over in 20 mins despite being several behind.

A mid table championship team took us to 3-3, was millimetres away winning in normal time, then lost to us on penalties. Yes we dominated for like 70 mins, but it’s scary how close a championship team came to turning us over in 20 mins despite being several behind.
I’ll have it. But saying the reason we won is because the referee didn’t do their job properly is false.

That’s my point really.

I’ll have it. But saying the reason we won is because the referee didn’t do their job properly is false.

That’s my point really.
I always found that angle funny. They were awarded a dubious penalty in the dying moment, but somehow the narrative was that Coventry were hard done by. In reality it was the opposite.

I always found that angle funny. They were awarded a dubious penalty in the dying moment, but somehow the narrative was that Coventry were hard done by. In reality it was the opposite.
Absolutely. That’s how I recall the game. Dubious penalty to Coventry and VAR legitimately ruling a goal for them offside.

If anything the onfield refs didn’t do their jobs properly as the decisions they made went against United, with the goal rightly being overturned by VAR.

Anyway it doesn’t look like @Fortitude is going to explain what he meant so we will just have to assume they misremembered events. I don’t recall anything else contentious in the game.

Absolutely. That’s how I recall the game. Dubious penalty to Coventry and VAR legitimately ruling a goal for them offside.

If anything the onfield refs didn’t do their jobs properly as the decisions they made went against United, with the goal rightly being overturned by VAR.

Anyway it doesn’t look like @Fortitude is going to explain what he meant so we will just have to assume they misremembered events. I don’t recall anything else contentious in the game.
I think generally you have to respect that FA Cup run in isolation. United did amazingly well, beating the best teams in the country along the way. That can still be true, whilst acknowledging that Ten Hag has been generally poor as the United manager.

It feels like the script is perfectly set up for mourinho with fenerbache to be the game that puts the final nail in ten hag tenure at united.
....or to allow it to continue for a little bit longer

Regardless of it being a dodgy penalty, it was some 2nd half capitulation. I know that in one off games it can happen, but we’d seen it during the season. Regardless of what happened in the final, that should have been his last match as manager of Manchester United. But I’m sure that we agree on that!

Regardless of it being a dodgy penalty, it was some 2nd half capitulation. I know that in one off games it can happen, but we’d seen it during the season. Regardless of what happened in the final, that should have been his last match as manager of Manchester United. But I’m sure that we agree on that!
He’s never been the right man for the job, but I also respect his achievement in winning that cup. Pochettino never managed a trophy with a better squad in spurs. Winning trophies isn’t to be sniffed at.

I think generally you have to respect that FA Cup run in isolation. United did amazingly well, beating the best teams in the country along the way. That can still be true, whilst acknowledging that Ten Hag has been generally poor as the United manager.
:lol: Sarcasm?
Wigan, Newport, Forest, Liverpool, Coventry and then City.
I’ll give you Liverpool and City.

City faced Huddersfield, Spurs, Luton, Newcastle, Chelsea and United. All bar one team were PL level.

Absolutely. There’s plenty to beat Ten Hag up over (and I want him gone) but the FA Cup run was really good and provided some fantastic memories we will all remember.

Seemed an odd thing to use as ammunition.

He’s never been the right man for the job, but I also respect his achievement in winning that cup. Pochettino never managed a trophy with a better squad in spurs. Winning trophies isn’t to be sniffed at.
No it’s not but in his case it’s an aside, when we are going backwards in league progression and stumbling in Europe.

:lol: Sarcasm?
Wigan, Newport, Forest, Liverpool, Coventry and then City.
I’ll give you Liverpool and City.

City faced Huddersfield, Spurs, Luton, Newcastle, Chelsea and United. All bar one team were PL level.
I think it’s an odd thing to use to have a pop at him though, especially suggesting referee errors helped him win it!

Absolutely. There’s plenty to beat Ten Hag up over (and I want him gone) but the FA Cup run was really good and provided some fantastic memories we will all remember.

Seemed an odd thing to use as ammunition.
Compare United’s run and City’s run. I’m delighted we won, it was a great day but it means nothing in isolation.

Actually, I've been running round London like a lunatic tour guide chaperoning people and snatching views of the caf to keep me sane.

I haven't the energy for long-winded discussion splitting hairs over a result that could have easily been called the other way, even on VAR.

@golden_blunder has summed it perfectly in my absence; the minutiae against Coventry is neither here nor there, for me

No it’s not but in his case it’s an aside, when we are going backwards in league progression and stumbling in Europe.

You can’t get by as United manager by just winning one off games with zero progression in it league. He can’t bring consistency in performance and he’s has long enough to implement that now which is why it’s time.

Actually, I've been running round London like a lunatic tour guide chaperoning people and snatching views of the caf to keep me sane.

I haven't the energy for long-winded discussion splitting hairs over a result that could have easily been called the other way, even on VAR.

@golden_blunder has summed it perfectly in my absence; the minutiae against Coventry is neither here nor there, for me

I think if you would have said that, rather than insinuate the referee made the wrong decision which resulted in United unjustly winning, it would have saved the debate!

I should probably read your entire conversation but why are you fixated on the paying him upfront? The issue for United as far as I know isn't about cash flow but accounting, if you sack him you have to write the entire cost of his sacking in your books at the date it happened regardless of the payments choices. So if United are in a difficult situation when it comes FFP/FSR then the issue with sacking him is that you have to quickly offset it with a legitimate injection of revenue.
It depends. If we place him on gardening leave, he's still technically an employee and we continue to incur his ongoing wage expense until his contract expires or he finds a new job. If we sack him, we do an immediate one-time write down of whatever severance amount he's owed (which usually comes out to significantly less than the full amount of what's left on his contract - I believe with our last few managers it came out to a year's worth of wages).

I’m not advocating for him as United manager, by the way. But the cup run was genuinely impressive, in my opinion, Coventry capitulation aside.

Okay mate.

In continuously surprised at how desperate our own fans are to criticise every aspect of United, even when they win a cup. We all know United are poor right now.
I just think people are sick of people going overboard on both sides. Aside from Liverpool and city (which were glorious days) the rest of the run was stumblely against trans we really should be beating well. Thats when I don’t agree with this idea that it was a great cup run