Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
But why were they publicly flirting with other managers if they are so sure about the one that they have got?

I don't pay much attention to Erik's narrative. I expect the sporting directors above him have tried to create an environment in which he is most likely to be successful (i.e. offering support and stability), but this whole 'having a shared vision for the club' comes unstuck if there is no visible improvement on the pitch. He's not even their man, so there's not even the sense that might cling on to him because sacking him would be evidence of their own mistake. All those highly paid guys, fresh in their jobs, are relying on ETH to perform and get the best out of the expensive signings as his failure is ultimately their responsibility. Zero chance they just sit meekly by for months and let ETH make them look like idiots.

The evidence says the opposite though, they tried to get rid of him in the summer, failed to back to speak up about him at every opportunity, opted to keeps his extend his contract by a year rather than agree a new one. You don’t go from that to sticking with someone for years, especially when he’s doing a terrible job.

He isn’t the man for the long term, he just hasn’t been sacked yet.

I think they went through that process because being new to the club they wanted to court their options and see what was out there. ETH proved to be their best option, probably impressing them with his long term vision or something, and they went with him. I think they were going to give him a longer deal but were not able to agree on removing the veto, hence triggered 1-year extension to start with.

They supported him with £200m worth of signings including two of his former players and another Dutch talent which indicates at least some trust in his ability to turn us around.

I think they went through that process because being new to the club they wanted to court their options and see what was out there. ETH proved to be their best option, probably impressing them with his long term vision or something, and they went with him. I think they were going to give him a longer deal but were not able to agree on removing the veto, hence triggered 1-year extension to start with.

They supported him with £200m worth of signings including two of his former players and another Dutch talent which indicates at least some trust in his ability to turn us around.

He clearly didn’t impress them because they were offering his job to other people. He kept it by default and nothing since then will have convinced anyone to suddenly believe he deserves more job security than any manager in the league.

The fact Berrada made it clear the decision to keep ETH was nothing to do with him is pretty telling as well.

If that happens the next manager should not be expected to get top 4, at which point it makes no sense to sack ten Hag. I think he's getting full season, and personally I'm also relatively confident he will start next season with us.

:lol:

If there was anything there that might...click.

If there was any reason to believe he was on the right track - only beset by ill fortune, injuries, and so forth.

Then sure, yes.

But as it stands - what sort of straws are we supposed to be clutching at?

He clearly didn’t impress them because they were offering his job to other people. He kept it by default and nothing since then will have convinced anyone to suddenly believe he deserves more job security than any manager in the league.

The fact Berrada made it clear the decision to keep ETH was nothing to do with him is pretty telling as well.

So you don't think we could tempt any of those we talked with in the summer? Not Tuchel, Frank, Di Zerbi? You'd hope they didn't all turn us down or we're in bigger trouble than we realise.

If there was any reason to believe he was on the right track - only beset by ill fortune, injuries, and so forth.

Then sure, yes.

But as it stands - what sort of straws are we supposed to be clasping at?

The only straw left to grasp is the idea that INEOS actually have an amazing plan that will either unlock the genius of Ten Hag, or they're waiting for a certain coach for another 12 months.

The only straw left to grasp is the idea that INEOS actually have an amazing plan that will either unlock the genius of Ten Hag, or they're waiting for a certain coach for another 12 months.

Yes, that sounds about right.

I would say that the former (the unlocking of the genius) is about as likely as Antony winning a Ballon d'Or.

So, it has to be the latter. In some shape or form.

Perhaps they're waiting for the brentford game to analyse how both managers perform against each other as a last confirmation that he is in fact better than Erik then offer him the job? They obviously love their 1 game can change everything way of judging things.

So you don't think we could tempt any of those we talked with in the summer? Not Tuchel, Frank, Di Zerbi? You'd hope they didn't all turn us down or we're in bigger trouble than we realise.

If the club were so impressed with ETH and his long term vision to the extent that they will stick by him no matter what, it wouldn’t have taken until July and speaking to other managers to decide to keep him.

Then sure, yes.

Yeah that's where I am. There's so little to actually place your faith in when the team just doesn't score enough goals. I worried at the start of the season that we still weren't going to score enough but I thought we might have been a bit better than this.

If the club were so impressed with ETH and his long term vision to the extent that they will stick by him no matter what, it wouldn’t have taken until July and speaking to other managers to decide to keep him.

Like @Sarni said, pehaps they wanted to explore their options before deciding he's the best man, currently available, for the job. How else do you think he's still here?

Then sure, yes.

They fecked up in the summer by not sacking him, I think they probably realize that now. And if you don't sack him after 50-60 awful performance/results last season maybe they then can't justify sacking him 8/10 awful performances/results into this season, it'd make them look like a bunch of amateurs. So they're going to give him another 10-15 games for one last roll of the dice in the faint hope he can actually turn it around to some extent. That's the only reason I can think why he hasn't been sacked this past week.

Like @Sarni said, pehaps they wanted to explore their options before deciding he's the best man, currently available, for the job. How else do you think he's still here?

There could be lots of reasons but I’m pretty confident it’s not because he is the long term manager. You don’t spend months looking to replace someone if you think they are the right man for the job.

They heard what he had to say, evaluated him and made the conclusion to look elsewhere. To go
From that to deciding you are sticking with him no matter what or long term is completely illogical.

At best he was the best of an underwhelming bunch or whoever they really wanted turned them down.

If that happens the next manager should not be expected to get top 4, at which point it makes no sense to sack ten Hag. I think he's getting full season, and personally I'm also relatively confident he will start next season with us.
Are you high or do you just have that much PTSD?

There could be lots of reasons but I’m pretty confident it’s not because he is the long term manager. You don’t spend months looking to replace someone if you think they are the right man for the job.

They heard what he had to say, evaluated him and made the conclusion to look elsewhere. To go
From that to deciding you are sticking with him no matter what or long term is completely illogical.

At best he was the best of an underwhelming bunch or whoever they really wanted turned them down.

OK well I think we can agree on that. But, by that logic, he'll be here for the short to mid term no doubt as no other managers are magically appearing. They had their choice of many coaches, young and promising, experienced, coaches that play all different types of football, coaches that have proven they can win trophies, coaches that just want to coach or others who want to be more hands on. They had many, many options, and yet... here we are. They had all those options, and look what they chose.

So unless somebody makes a huge name for themselves in the next 6 months, and isn't snapped up by another big club, then I don't see what changes anytime soon. The only reason it changes now is if they panic, which they seem to be doing their best to portray that they won't do that.

They fecked up in the summer by not sacking him, I think they probably realize that now. And if you don't sack him after 50-60 awful performance/results last season maybe they then can't justify sacking him 8/10 awful performances/results into this season, it'd make them look like a bunch of amateurs. So they're going to give him another 10-15 games for one last roll of the dice in the faint hope he can actually turn it around to some extent. That's the only reason I can think why he hasn't been sacked this past week.

Yes, they fecked up.

And the only convincing excuse is that their operation wasn't fully in place at the time.

It is now, though (we have to assume).

This season is still salvageable - to some degree.

Gambling on ETH to turn it around strikes me as the least likely way to salvage something from the season.

But what do I know (nothing - and I still have a tiny bit of hope, as I always do, that I could be proven wrong).

So when Tuchel was jobless, Ten Hag had "2 games to prove" and now he has 7.
Media playing fans like a fiddle by pulling these random number of games out of their asses.

It's funny in a sad sort of way.

"Eric Ten Hag has 3 games to save his job!"
*wins none of them*
"Eric Ten Hag has 7 games to save his job!"

Utd fans would be incredulous at any other club keeping him given the same level of performance. Forget the results, as bad as they have been over the last 18 months they do not explain or illustrate just how comically inept his football has been in that period.

Staggering, just how absurd is this going to look if we lose to Brentford?

You must feel he’s going to turn it around then.

Fair enough!

I don’t put a lot past United these days but if he starts next season with us then I’ll be gobsmacked

Absolute latest IMO will be around April when we officially can’t get CL football any more

But more likely in the winter

How do things change with him in charge though? Like what is the reason we are as awful as we are?

I never wanna hear the next few matches will be crucial again to his future. I'm absolutely sick off that

How do things change with him in charge though? Like what is the reason we are as awful as we are?
If he stays he needs to rethink how he sets his team out. He’s setting them up to fail as it stands. The issue is that he’s too bloody stubborn to change much

We should resign ourselves to the fact that they're not going to fire him till the X-mas break regardless of what happens. So either he miraculously turns it around or we are looking at another l season without UCL and no progress

Who knows, maybe we hit form like after the disaster start in his first season. We were pretty good in that period up until winning the League Cup. I'm assuming the hierarchy are accepting the injury problems last season in reviewing his performance thus far.

Regardless of the manager, the season is going to be full of ups and downs. I really hope we get our act together and challenge for the Europa League.

They are not going to panic. Clean start from Saturday, let's see where it goes.

Who knows, maybe we hit form like after the disaster start in his first season. We were pretty good in that period up until winning the League Cup. I'm assuming the hierarchy are accepting the injury problems last season in reviewing his performance thus far.

Regardless of the manager, the season is going to be full of ups and downs. I really hope we get our act together and challenge for the Europa League.

They are not going to panic. Clean start from Saturday, let's see where it goes.
Highly unlikely. I’m hoping that if we do keep him on we can go a good run, as that seems to be our only hope.

Oh it's definitely unlikely on the evidence we have. But I have to believe it can and will get better, otherwise what's the point? Football, eh.
Fair. You’re a lot more optimistic and I am and I can’t fault you for that. As Monty Python said, always look on the bright side of life.