Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
With Ole he got beat by 13th placed Leicester 4-2, Liverpool 5-0 and Watford 4-1. He started the season well getting 4 wins in the opening 5 (the other being a draw).

It was a small slump in form that got him sacked. We were abject during that small period. ETHs bad form has been for 83 games. :lol:

I'd argue that Ole went through some dire patches before that, and could have easily gotten the sack. Particularly before Bruno was brought in. However I agree, we've been horrendous for the guts of 83 games, and I can't even remember the last time he's strung three wins together on the bounce in the league. Has he ever, actually?

But it worked for the first season when he exceeded expectation.
Have we now become a club that sacks a manager as soon as it is not going great....I would like to think we are better than that.
'Not going great'? Slight understatement there, don't you think? Literally the worst form in our PL history, by a long way. Much worse than what Rangnick did, much worse than Ole when he got fired, much worse than Mourinho when he got fired.

First season ETH basically just kept with Ole's tactics but with a better defence and midfield (admittedly a worse attack though). Since he changed to his own tactics it's been nothing but an embarrassment.

He has fooled a lot of fans into thinking we are making progress this season with how we have played in spells during certain matches this season but they forget that is based on comparing how low he took us last season, a slight improvement on last season should not be deemed acceptable.

we should be seeing a big improvement because there are no excuses like he tried to use last season to cover up his abysmal coaching from last season.
What slight improvement?

I'd argue that Ole went through some dire patches before that, and could have gotten the sack. Particularly before Bruno was brought in. However I agree, we've been horrendous for the guts of 83 games, and I can't even remember the last time he's strung three wins together on the bounce in the league. Has he ever, actually?
Ole was 1 game away from finishing 5th on the final day of the season when he was 1.5 seasons in. Would have probably been sacked. Same goes for Ten Hag had he not won the FA cup too.

He was not far off relegation in mid November when he was sacked, 6 weeks of fixtures on from the situation Ten Hag finds himself in today. Both should have been sacked looking back.

Evans and Maguire at centre back vs Villa sounds like a resigination letter.

Starting Maguire and Evans over his own signings in Martinez and DeLigt is basically him admitting he doesn't know how to fix his own defence.

Desperate stuff.

Starting Maguire and Evans over his own signings in Martinez and DeLigt is basically him admitting he doesn't know how to fix his own defence.

Desperate stuff.
Didn't he also sign Evans?

86% is damning enough ….ignore the oppo’s backing him and it’s likely 96% ETH out.

Evans and Maguire at centre back vs Villa sounds like a resigination letter.
Hardly, Martinez and De Ligt have been terrble. De Ligt isn't better than Maguire.

The most damning thing is £600m spent and just £120m of it are in his starting XI for a must win game.

They weren't far off it. They were a lot closer to that point than any of the mid table sides you named.

Again incorrect. Watford were 16th when they beat us under Ole, Palace were 14th for the 4-0 & Bournemouth 13th for the 3-0. We’re talking the smallest of differences.

You’re fighting a battle I don’t think you even believe in. You’re just so far down the rabbit hole you can’t accept it’s over.

I'm not splitting hairs. We were 4 points off 16th place by mid November(!) the season Ole got sacked.

How is this comparable?

My vote is to sack Ten Hag, need I remind you. I'm just being here being questioned for having an opinion on who was more shit.

We’re currently 4 points off 18th place??

We’ve had a far worse start this season then the season Ole (rightly) got sacked.

No complaints about De Ligt and Martinez being dropped to be honest. We're losing anyway so might as well send them a message that their last two performances were unacceptable.

It indicates you can take fan opinions with a pinch of salt. I didnt even know who he was, but it seemed like 90% of fans were convinced he was 'that guy'. Browsing social media and on here, everybody seemed to be on board, I began to get excited and was duped into thinking this guy was the real deal.

So when names like Potter or Southgate pop up I tend to quickly scroll by the outrage comments. Maybe we need to take a gamble with the least fan favourites and skip the guys 90% would have.

Personally, I would of took Potch or Rodgers, most will laugh, while not having a clue!
You weren't the only one. The 3 game run of decent results in the CL is all most knew about him if at all. But like summer transfers, once the hype train starts everyone gets carried away with how good they are.

They've been at their respective clubs for years because they've brought success (or relative success in the case of Arteta). They haven't had success because they've been at their clubs for years.

Success>Longevity not Longevity>Success
Arteta hasn't been successful though, he's put them in a good position after a couple of years of poor performances. They gave him the time to get certain players out, a style of play etc and we are now just waiting for success to follow

Arteta would have been chased out by our supporters before we seen the upturn that came about at arsenal.

Klopp came into Liverpool in 2015 and won nothing until 2019. Again he was given time before success came about.

Sir Alex took years to get success and this forum would have chased him out as well.

Instant success doesn't happen that often. More often we need to see time given and go through a few rough times to get to the promise land.

EDIT : To be clear I'm not arguing to keep ETH here, I just don't want us to jump into another managerial appointment mistake and then be here again in 18/24 months time.

Although there's no guarantee no matter who we go for, the market right now is very slim pickings.

Last edited:
Again incorrect. Watford were 16th when they beat us under Ole, Palace were 14th for the 4-0 & Bournemouth 13th for the 3-0. We’re talking the smallest of differences.

You’re fighting a battle I don’t think you even believe in. You’re just so far down the rabbit hole you can’t accept it’s over.

We’ve had a far worse start this season then the season Ole (rightly) got sacked.

How many points above relegation were Watford, and how many points above relegation were Palace and Bournemouth? Maybe then you'll find it's not quite a "smallest of difference". If i'm not mistaken Watford were 17th going into the game - could be wrong. The win they had against us put them 16th and within 4 points of Ole. You can probably direct me to a point in time that shows otherwise as I haven't double checked.

And we are currently 4 points off 18 points on October 6th. Ole had us 4 points from 16th a month and half later than this point.

He did but not for £40-50m and I imagine not with the idea to build his defence around him.
He's starting one game, I dont think we can conclude he's building a defence around him.

The truth is, we've generally been poor since the LC win. That was in 2023. How he's still here is absolute madness.

But it worked for the first season when he exceeded expectation.
Have we now become a club that sacks a manager as soon as it is not going great....I would like to think we are better than that.
He did not exceed expectations. He met the goal of CL qualification, like previous managers.

We are literally the most forgiving and patient big club around, it's not even close. Ten Hag would not have survived at any other club. Saying we sack a manager "as soon as it's not going great" is hysterical. The whole "we are better than that" thing has held us back over the years. Always taking way too long to react and make a change.

I'm not splitting hairs. We were 4 points off 16th place by mid November(!) the season Ole got sacked.

How is this comparable?

My vote is to sack Ten Hag, need I remind you. I'm just being here being questioned for having an opinion on who was more shit.

Trying to differentiate between getting bossed by Bournemouth at home and Watford away is splitting hairs. Like who cares. Both just terrible results that don't need to happen.

Not to mention our current form, over quite a good number of games now, is that of a 16th place team.

Trying to differentiate between getting bossed by Bournemouth at home and Watford away is splitting hairs. Like who cares. Both just terrible results that don't need to happen.
Agreed both are terrible. But claiming there is not a material difference in quality between a relegation side and a midtable side is also false.

The truth is, we've generally been poor since the LC win. That was in 2023. How he's still here is absolute madness.

We've been generally poor since the League cup final in 2023.

We've been exceptionally bad in the last 6 months. Like relegation form level poor. It is insane he's still our manager.

Imagine finishing the season 8th at Barca or Real and keeping your job. Has to go, regardless of today's result. We've become accustomed to accepting mediocrity.

Personally I couldn't care less for numbers of the people with the wallet are clowns. Arteta didn't have clowns spending the cash.

Murtough is out there prioritising his transfers poorly and panic buying Antony when he could have negotiated him cheaper early doors. He's the one who paid 60m for Mount when our ceiling was 42m. He's the one who threw 70ish mil at Hojlund. It's just a mental way to allocate resources.

Perception plays a vital role in that, reverse the roles and Erik would massively fail if he was managing the current crop of Arsenal players because of his composition as a manager. They spent 100 million on Rice which isn't critiqued because the manager knows how to utilize the said player in question, if Murtough did the same thing under Erik's tenure he would be ridiculed for it because you can guarantee Rice at United would be deplorably worse than how he performs for Arsenal.

Same can be said for Ben White or Havertz with many Arsenal fans bemoaning the initial fee they acquired him for, but the manager has caused both players to deliver so it's no longer at a point of anatomization. It doesn't matter if Erik was being spearheaded by Kronke or Glazers / he's failed as a manager and given his current trajectory with INEOS it's proof that playing for different hierarchies doesn't suddenly aggrandize an incompetent individual.

He's desperately focusing on one game against Watford (after which Ole got sacked straight away) to avoid admitting how wrong he's been about the last 18 months of borderline relegation level performances.

Perception plays a vital role in that, reverse the roles and Erik would massively fail if he was managing the current crop of Arsenal players because of his composition as a manager. They spent 100 million on Rice which isn't critiqued because the manager knows how to utilize the said player in question, if Murtough did the same thing under Erik's tenure he would be ridiculed for it because you can guarantee Rice at United would be deplorably worse than how he performs for Arsenal.

Same can be said for Ben White or Havertz with many Arsenal fans bemoaning the initial fee they acquired him for, but he's delivered so it's no longer at a point of anatomization. It doesn't matter if Erik was being spearheaded by Kronke or Glazers / he's failed as a manager and given his current trajectory with INEOS it's proof that playing for different hierarchies doesn't suddenly aggrandize an incompetent individual.
Sure, but at the same time these players aren't punts on injury ridden players or kids who have had 1.5 years of gametime. That accounts for around 150m of the transfers already.

Arteta hasn't been successful though, he's put them in a good position after a couple of years of poor performances. They gave him the time to get certain players out, a style of play etc and we are now just waiting for success to follow

Arteta would have been chased out by our supporters before we seen the upturn that came about at arsenal.
He's had relative success compared to where they were before he came in and his team in terms of perfromances and rsults were on a constant upward trajectory.

Our supporters are amongst the most forgiving in football. Clearly evidenced by the fact so many wanted to keep Ten Hag after last season.

Klopp came into Liverpool in 2015 and won nothing until 2019. Again he was given time before success came about.

He got them to 3 finals including a CL final in his first 2.5 seasons and a top 4 finish in his first full season. While playing good football, there was clear progress and an upward trajectory.

Sir Alex took years to get success and this forum would have chased him out as well.

Instant success doesn't happen that often. More often we need to see time given and go through a few rough times to get to the promise land.

It's time for this nonsense to die mate. It bears no relevance.

No one is asking for instant success, just for some sort of progress. An attractive style of play emerging, being hard to beat or scoring loads of goals. Or looking like we won't get battered every other week, something anything. The last 18 months have been an absolute farce and it shouldn't have been allowed to get to this stage. There is no upward trajectory ever going to emerge from this total and utter shambles.

This idea that we need to suffer through 5-6 years of shite to come out the other side and into a new era of dominance is naive horseshit.

That line up :lol::lol:. It’s clear he doesn’t believe in having a midfield, and that for me is the root cause of all our problems.

It's like that time Mourinho spent 4 months begging the club to sack him so he could leave with his pay off - and we still refused to do it :lol:

Indeed but then that wasn't what I said at all.
Sorry yeah re-read what you said. I don't think its contraversial given the form anyway. He's taking them out the limelight and they're quite a liability at this moment in time.

It's like that time Mourinho spent 4 months begging the club to sack him so he could leave with his pay off - and we still refused to do it :lol:

When he played Mctominay at centre back, with actual centre backs sat on the bench, away to west ham.

Couldn't have been more clear he was trying to get sacked , and yet we didn't do it for another few weeks.

Haha Eriksen and Bruno in midfield with Maguire and Evans in central defense...he is asking to be sacked.

Sorry yeah re-read what you said. I don't think its contraversial given the form anyway. He's taking them out the limelight and they're quite a liability at this moment in time.

Look I don't disagree with the decision on the face of it, they've both been awful recently. All I'm saying is it's basically an admittance on his part that the players he's signed to build his defence around aren't working and/or he doesn't know how to get the best out of them as a pair.