Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm guessing he needs until the end of a third season to finally fix something. I'm standing in front of a wall with my brushes and a tin of paint. Hours go by and my missus finds me sitting on my arse doing feck all, none of the walls painted. I tell her I'll get it done before next week, yet I do nothing. Just sit there looking at the wall. Eventually, two months later, she finds me still sitting there doing feck all. And the only thing on the bare walls is a cruedly painted cock and balls.
Well, at least its something.

What if they sack him after Brentford they are still infected? What if they have already decided to sack him and are planning/lining up life after are they still infected?

You can’t bring the past into the judgement of the new. We’ll see if they are infected or not and it won’t be based off some arbitrary timeline set by the media

Obviously not..? It's Ashworth and Berrada's first real opportunity to sack a failed manager and I just hope they do it regardless of results.

Sacking him after Brentford would just make them look incompetent for not doing it during an international break where there's more time to sort things out. Sack him with 12 days before the Brentford game or 3 days before the Fenerbahce game... no brainer.

From EtH's presser:

We can only achieve success like the last two seasons, winning trophies, when we improve, so definitely we will work on this.”
This is a massive problem. He doesn't understand the club he's at and what constitutes success. The man calls last season a success with a straight face :nervous:

I don't know if he genuinely believes it (which would be incredibly stupid) or if he's trying to gaslight the entire world (which would also be incredibly stupid).

You're doing poorly, you've had a rough run, fans are frustrated, players are bereft of confidence after such a let down last season, this season looks to be going the same direction and the manager comes out with this.

Annoying thing is he's been going on about it for weeks. Can someone please tell him last season was an abject failure, the likes of which this club has never experienced in the premier league era?

Some new quotes just in to us from the Manchester United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who has told our sports editor Dan Roan that a decision on Erik ten Hag's future is not his call.

Asked if he has faith in the Red Devils' boss, he said: “I don’t want to answer that question…I like Erik. I think he’s a very good coach but at the end of the day it’s not my call, it’s the management team that’s running Manchester United that have to decide how we best run the team in many different respects.

"But that team that’s running Manchester United has only been together since June or July. They weren’t there in January, February, March or April – [CEO] Omar [Berrada], [Sporting Director] Dan Ashworth - they only arrived in July.

"They’ve only been there…you can count it in weeks almost - they’ve not been there a long time so they need to take stock and make some sensible decisions.

"Our objective is very clear - we want to take Manchester United back to where it should be, and it’s not there yet, obviously - that’s very clear.”

Some new quotes just in to us from the Manchester United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe, who has told our sports editor Dan Roan that a decision on Erik ten Hag's future is not his call.

Asked if he has faith in the Red Devils' boss, he said: “I don’t want to answer that question…I like Erik. I think he’s a very good coach but at the end of the day it’s not my call, it’s the management team that’s running Manchester United that have to decide how we best run the team in many different respects.

"But that team that’s running Manchester United has only been together since June or July. They weren’t there in January, February, March or April – [CEO] Omar [Berrada], [Sporting Director] Dan Ashworth - they only arrived in July.

"They’ve only been there…you can count it in weeks almost - they’ve not been there a long time so they need to take stock and make some sensible decisions.

"Our objective is very clear - we want to take Manchester United back to where it should be, and it’s not there yet, obviously - that’s very clear.”

Is it safe to say he's gone now regardless of Villa result? These comments are pretty damning, and Radcliffe doesn't look pleased at all. Also the comments on the team not being together very long sounds like an excuse for delaying his sacking to this ridiculous length.

Nice subtle way to distance themselves from him.

Is is safe to say he's gone now regardless of Villa? These comments are pretty damning, and Radcliffe doesn't look pleased at all. Also the comments on the team not being together very long sounds like an excuse for delaying his sacking to this ridiculous length.
It could be a whole week after Villa that we hear a verdict. Time to discuss. The 14th.

From EtH's presser:

This is a massive problem. He doesn't understand the club he's at and what constitutes success. The man calls last season a success with a straight face :nervous:

I don't know if he genuinely believes it (which would be incredibly stupid) or if he's trying to gaslight the entire world (which would also be incredibly stupid).

You're doing poorly, you've had a rough run, fans are frustrated, players are bereft of confidence after such a let down last season, this season looks to be going the same direction and the manager comes out with this.

Annoying thing is he's been going on about it for weeks. Can someone please tell him last season was an abject failure, the likes of which this club has never experienced in the premier league era?
Three decades from now he'll be in a care home, muttering "They sacked me when the plan was about to start working. Seven years wasn't enough time!" and the unit nurse will just keep looking at her watch waiting for the night shift to turn up.

Thats your opinion.
They gave ten hag a last chance and will probably be ruthless this season. You're just assuming that they're not ambitious because of one decision in one point in time.
Again, if they were ruthless he wouldn’t be here anymore and would not be getting ‘games to save his job’. He’s already shown his level this season.

It could be a whole week after Villa that we hear a verdict. Time to discuss. The 14th.

The verdict should be set in stone since the Liverpool pummeling. The only decision that should happen is when to sack him, and the international break is probably the logical time now. However not logical in wider picture, as he should have been gone long ago.

Is it safe to say he's gone now regardless of Villa result? These comments are pretty damning, and Radcliffe doesn't look pleased at all. Also the comments on the team not being together very long sounds like an excuse for delaying his sacking to this ridiculous length.

Nice subtle way to distance themselves from him.
Yeah, it feels very much like "I'm not in charge, it's not my decision, but IF it was my decision I'd say we've been shite and I am technically their boss so..."

The verdict should be set in stone since the Liverpool pummeling. The only decision that should happen is when to sack him, and the international break is probably the logical time now. However not logical in wider picture, as he should have been gone long ago.
I started having huge doubts about ten Hag after the Sevilla games last season. I was fully ten Hag out after finishing 4th in a CL Group with Copenhagen and Galatasaray.

This has been a long time coming, for me. I'd wait the entire international break if you guaranteed it right now. :lol:

Not only the football, his morals are suspects. His defence of his best bud, Overmars, never sat well with me. That was before he even got the job.

I started having huge doubts about ten Hag after the Sevilla games last season. I was fully ten Hag out after finishing 4th in a CL Group with Copenhagen and Galatasaray.

This has been a long time coming, for me. I'd wait the entire international break if you guaranteed it right now. :lol:

Not only the football, his morals are suspects. His defence of his best bud, Overmars, never sat well with me. That was before he even got the job.

Oh yeah, it's been a long time coming for many of us I'd assume. I reckon he could have been sacked around four or five times by now.

"We need to be patient and give him a chance to finish the project. Just look at Klopp. Liverpool were patient with him."

Managers between Benitez and Klopp;

Hodgson - six months
King Kenny - eighteen months
Rodgers - three seasons

Sjr seem to like ETH and he described him as a very good coach

The question is, in the unlikely event that we win against Villa on Sunday, would INEOS still have the balls to sack Erik during the international break?

A win would be another false dawn. Even Berrarda and Ashworth must be able to see that by now. I don't think many would argue against the sacking in such a scenario.

Decision made.

The question is, in the unlikely event that we win against Villa on Sunday, would INEOS still have the balls to sack Erik during the international break?

A win would be another false dawn. Even Berrarda and Ashworth must be able to see that by now. I don't think many would argue against the sacking in such a scenario.
Absolutely zero chance. You don’t give people games to save their jobs and then fire them anyway. If we win, he’s safe.

I actually think he’s 99% safe anyway but a win at Villa would cement it for a long time. The next ‘last game to save his job’ will probably be Everton on 29 Nov, after we fail to deliver consistent points in previous games against Brentford, West Ham, Chelsea, Leicester and Ipswich. Which he will win, and will probably not have another game to save his job at least until Southampton mid-January.

No chance they would. They’d let the dust settle over the international break if we scraped a win tomorrow and then they’ll be no other chance and enough planning time to sack him then so we’d be stuck with him. Perfect opportunity on Monday. Start a fresh after the break.

Absolutely zero chance. You don’t give people games to save their jobs and then fire them anyway. If we win, he’s safe.

I actually think he’s 99% safe anyway but a win at Villa would cement it for a long time.
It’s 50/50. If we lose by a goal he may be safe, I think if we get hammered then he’s 100% gone

If we win my some miracle and he's still here after the international break, think it's safe to assume the season and possibly the club is finished.

It’s 50/50. If we lose by a goal he may be safe, I think if we get hammered then he’s 100% gone
If it’s like 6-0 then maybe. If it’s mere 3-0, I think we got used to that enough already for it to not bother anyone too much.

I actually think he’s 99% safe anyway but a win at Villa would cement it for a long time.

I am all for giving someone you truly believe in time and even some extra time on that. But they don’t want him. We would have had Tuchel at this point if they agreed terms with him in the summer.

That’s the usual positive pretext to the negative decision. It’s like when people say “I love Fergie but he shouldn’t make decisions on who our manager should be”

Social cues and i have the same relationship as carragher and own goals. Thanks for the explanation

If it’s like 6-0 then maybe. If it’s mere 3-0, I think we got used to that enough already for it to not bother anyone too much.
I think a 3-0 may do it aswell. It will be the 25th time under ETH. That’s probably more than Fergie and one of the previous managers combined.

Whilst results always play a factor in these things, I would say that the decision to sack him or not is much more nuanced than many have made out. If it was purely results based, he’d be gone already. I would imagine there is a constant state of feedback between coaching staff and upper management, as well as Wilcox observing training sessions. They also all watch the matches and see how that translates into the field.

The tactical plan of the team will have been laid out and discussed in great detail and I would say progress towards that is the defining KPI by which his ongoing employment is judged. The fact we are leaking goals for fun and showing such a lack of coherent strategy on the pitch is more damning than the results, from Ineos’ perspective. I think they were fully prepared for bumps in the road this season and a potential failure to qualify for the CL, if there was a clear evolution on the pitch and the development of a distinctive style with a positive trajectory in performances. However, that resolve has to be being tested by the egregiously low levels of performance to date, even in victory we’ve looked quite poor and performance levels are heading in the wrong direction.