Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am all for giving someone you truly believe in time and even some extra time on that. But they don’t want him. We would have had Tuchel at this point if they agreed terms with him in the summer.
Nah, I don’t get that impression at all. Maybe they initially thought it was a good idea to fire him but after they saw how much love he got from the fans after the cup final, and how smoothly he can talk tactics / plan, they bought into it. Wouldn’t make sense for them to change their minds so swiftly after a few good games.

I think a 3-0 may do it aswell. It will be the 25th time under ETH. That’s probably more than Fergie and one of the previous managers combined.
That’s exactly why it won’t matter, a 3-0 defeat is basically a casual defeat for us which we have accepted as normal.

I don’t think the papers know what they’re talking about; the Villa match likely has little bearing on our decision to stick with Erik. It might be that behind the scenes they genuinely feel the new players and staff need time to adjust, or maybe they’re simply still trying to source a promising replacement.

Again, if they were ruthless he wouldn’t be here anymore and would not be getting ‘games to save his job’. He’s already shown his level this season.
They made a decision you disagreed with. That doesn't mean they aren't without any ambition and that they are happy for low standards throughout the season

That’s exactly why it won’t matter, a 3-0 defeat is basically a casual defeat for us which we have accepted as normal.
Ye but let’s be honest. Conceding 3 in 3 games in a row would be absolutely rock bottom.

When a managers on the verge of being sacked we normally see a lot more news about it don’t we? Unless it all comes down to the result on Sunday and it just suddenly happens on Monday morning. I remember the week leading up to Ole and LVG sacking. Was a lot of people on it.

Wasn’t this story about Tuchel rejecting us just based on what a BILD journalist said, who was found to be somewhat dubious in terms of reliability?

When a managers on the verge of being sacked we normally see a lot more news about it don’t we? Unless it all comes down to the result on Sunday and it just suddenly happens on Monday morning. I remember the week leading up to Ole and LVG sacking. Was a lot of people on it.
There's been a lot less news in general around the club. Usually in the transfer window we get linked to 100s of players. This window we were linked to only really the ones we actually were after.

Yeah, there's no chance ETH is our manager come end of the season. I just can't imagine a scenario where INEOS and the sporting department are so out of touch with reality that they feel like we're moving in the right direction. I assume they're working hard behind the scenes to identify Erik's successor while also giving him a couple of more games before they sack him so they can justify letting him go a couple of months after sticking with him.

They made a decision you disagreed with. That doesn't mean they aren't without any ambition and that they are happy for low standards throughout the season
They were happy enough with last season, and they even rewarded him with another year triggered on his contract already. We haven’t really been worse this season than last year so I can see why they are happy to continue with him now.

I’m firmly in the sack camp, but, I have a feeling the new management may not be there just yet. Perhaps it’s because they can’t find a good replacement at this time, or don’t want to put RvN in as an interim. Besides which, some of their new signings aren’t exactly setting the world alight - de Ligt and Ugarte in particular. We may be stuck with him for a bit longer yet despite Villa, sadly.

Yeah I think he stays at very least until Christmas and probably end of season regardless of results.

He'll be sacked by Christmas. There's a lot of heavy defeats happening before then. But, the fact that he'll get that far is bonkers.

I almost feel that the people who backed him after the atrocity of last season deserve another full season of him, just to ram home how idiotic a stance that was.

Will probably get a win at Villa by going back to compact and balls over the top, gaining himself another 6 weeks of inanely moronic wide open space games until the pressure mounts to near sacking when at which point the compact shape will come out and repeat, repeat, repeat.

5 or 6 decent games out of 60/70, City being on the piss all week and throwing the first goal in is some Pep grand plan.

They were happy enough with last season, and they even rewarded him with another year triggered on his contract already. We haven’t really been worse this season than last year so I can see why they are happy to continue with him now.
They weren't happy enough with last season, they went into the market to see what alternatives there were. Tuchel broke down because he seemingly wanted full control.

In any case - they settled for the Ten Hag project quite plausibly under the condition that he shows immediate improvement - or else they would make a change.

There's been a lot less news in general around the club. Usually in the transfer window we get linked to 100s of players. This window we were linked to only really the ones we actually were after.
So the leaks have stopped a bit more then?

I can see you're trolling again :lol:

I think if we get Tuchel in next week, he’ll win at least 1 trophy this season probably the Europa. But I don’t think he’s the long term solution.

I think we need to stop thinking of managers in the long term. In the modern age even the likes of Klopp or Pep being in one job for 8-9 years is very rare. You hire a manager to get you to the next stage you are looking to get to (top 4, challenge for title or win title) if he gets you there great if he doesn't then you get someone else and try again.

There's nothing wrong with having a succession of managers who are only here for 1-2 year stints.

Not impressive for Ratty to brief this sort of thing now after they failed to hire Tuchel.

If Ineos Sport (namely the marginal gains bullshitter and Blanc) are the ones responsible for talking Ratcliffe down and so for Ten Hag staying, kick them into the long grass.

I wouldnt cite the new contract as a 'reward'. It was easier to demonstrate a togetherness with a year extension and we are unaware of certain terms that may make a break clause easier than before.
As I said - one decision you disagree with in the many that will likely follow doesn't make them unambitious. They have made tons of decisions that prove ambition, and the decision to stick with Ten Hag was before we had some well appointed personnel in place.

I think we need to stop thinking of managers in the long term. In the modern age even the likes of Klopp or Pep being in one job for 8-9 years is very rare. You hire a manager to get you to the next stage you are looking to get to (top 4, challenge for title or win title) if he gets you there great if he doesn't then you get someone else and try again.

There's nothing wrong with having a succession of managers who are only here for 1-2 year stints.
There’s a lot wrong with it actually. We’d rather not restart every 2 years and if we are having to change managers every 1/2 years then that means we’ve obviously failed. The fact managers can stay in jobs for 8/9 years shows they’ve been successful.

They weren't happy enough with last season, they went into the market to see what alternatives there were. Tuchel broke down because he seemingly wanted full control.

In any case - they settled for the Ten Hag project quite plausibly under the condition that he shows immediate improvement - or else they would make a change.
Yet no improvement and we are still here with him in charge. I think they simply bought into his long term project thing.

I can see you're trolling again :lol:
I’m not. I genuinely believe they are going to show patience, regardless of how much fans seem to almost unanimously hate the idea of him managing us. He’d be gone after Spurs game if they have any intention of binning him, we won’t play worse than that.

My biggest question regarding his reign is and will be; what happened with his tactics and style from Ajax? He got a job based on that and was highly rated 2 years ago because of that.

in United he looked as completely different manager.

Whilst results always play a factor in these things, I would say that the decision to sack him or not is much more nuanced than many have made out. If it was purely results based, he’d be gone already. I would imagine there is a constant state of feedback between coaching staff and upper management, as well as Wilcox observing training sessions. They also all watch the matches and see how that translates into the field.

The tactical plan of the team will have been laid out and discussed in great detail and I would say progress towards that is the defining KPI by which his ongoing employment is judged. The fact we are leaking goals for fun and showing such a lack of coherent strategy on the pitch is more damning than the results, from Ineos’ perspective. I think they were fully prepared for bumps in the road this season and a potential failure to qualify for the CL, if there was a clear evolution on the pitch and the development of a distinctive style with a positive trajectory in performances. However, that resolve has to be being tested by the egregiously low levels of performance to date, even in victory we’ve looked quite poor and performance levels are heading in the wrong direction.
I think he has a clause in his contract team performance based .. they don't want to just pay 17M for firing him..

My biggest question regarding his reign is and will be; what happened with his tactics and style from Ajax? He got a job based on that and was highly rated 2 years ago because of that.

in United he looked as completely different manager.
His tactics at Ajax was basically how Ajax want to play regardless of who the manager is.

Yet no improvement and we are still here with him in charge. I think they simply bought into his long term project thing.
You're impatient. There are credible leaks that he's on thin ice. They aren't without basis.

As I said - there are a few other decisions that show they have big ambition for the club, so to insinuate they are simply unambitious ditherers is premature and probably unfair.

I’m not. I genuinely believe they are going to show patience, regardless of how much fans seem to almost unanimously hate the idea of him managing us. He’d be gone after Spurs game if they have any intention of binning him, we won’t play worse than that.

I'm not sure they'll sack him either, no matter how Villa game goes. I'd also say that there has been improvement in some of the games so far this season, but at the same time ETH monumentally messed up a few games like Liverpool and Spurs.

There are also several of the same glaring issues that keep happening from last season.

I can see them remaining patient and giving him time, even if we continue to be inconsistent, but he definitely doesn't have years, or even the whole season for himself, if things don't improve.

We spoke to Tuchel, he turned us down for a reason. I doubt that reason has changed, so if we do go back to him then we will be doing so to capitulate to his needs which is weak from INEOS. I also don't understand what our game model is if we can go from Ten Hag and buying players for his style of football then to Tuchel who plays a differentstyle to him. I'll give INEOS time but so far I'm not really seeing much change in terms of decision making.

You're impatient. There are credible leaks that he's on thin ice. They aren't without basis.

As I said - there are a few other decisions that show they have big ambition for the club, so to insinuate they are simply unambitious ditherers is premature and probably unfair.
Yeah he’s being given ‘games to save his job’. They obviously can’t fire him if we get a result at Villa, and we will probably snatch a draw or at least not get beaten as heavily as we did against Spurs which will just make it more difficult for them to pull the trigger. If they genuinely wanted to fire him then they had their chance.

I don’t think the papers know what they’re talking about; the Villa match likely has little bearing on our decision to stick with Erik. It might be that behind the scenes they genuinely feel the new players and staff need time to adjust, or maybe they’re simply still trying to source a promising replacement.
This I feel is the main reason. Its easy to say "anyone" would be better than what Eth is serving up, but it feels like we would rather get a good permanent replacement than an average interim.

This I feel is the main reason. Its easy to say "anyone" would be better than what Eth is serving up, but it feels like we would rather get a good permanent replacement than an average interim.
Keeping him and allowing the new structure and players to bed in is a better option than an interim.