Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
One of my mates does my head in. He just refuses to criticise ETH and he's WhatsApping me today blaming the players!

I don't like Jamie Jackson at all. I'm not a big fan of Mitten either. I know he's well liked by some, but he played a big part in getting fans behind the manager last season.

He was even chuffed with his Twitter poll. :lol:

Most journalists who cover United are annoying. Daniel Harris is another one I can't stand.
Andy Mitten is very well connected so he’s always worth listening to, but have to take him with a pinch of salt, very much a fan with a typewriter.

Actually if you include the charity shield which most do, we’ve won 3 from 10 drawn 4 lost 3, the epitome of a bang Average Mid Table club, the next game doesn’t matter, he has to go.

What I find staggering however, is that he knew that he was on extremely thin Ice. Buying Yoro was a great move and his pace would have helped had he not been injured however buying M De Ligt rather than paying the extra 20-25m for Branthwaite is madness, it’s clear that after two serious injuries a 26 year old Martinez who is not blessed with height or Pace is in decline and the club needed A left sides CB!

Both Maguire, Evan’s and Lindelof could rotate until Lenny was fit again. Yet again we’ve allowed him with his Veto to dictate transfer policy this summer when he’s clearly clueless. we could have bought the following players this summer for the same money and been a far better team ;

A Robinson - £25m - LB
J Branthwaite - £60m - LCB
Mazraoui - £13m - RB
A Onana - £48m - CM
J Duran - £38-40m - CF
L Yoro - £40m we over paid by £12m

This is what we should have done and we didn’t the extra £20-25m is negated by Jason Sancho loan with obligation to buy on last day. The key here is PL proven which 4 of our 6 transfers would have been rather than none of our 5 current signings this summer having any PL experience, ETH will not learn, he must be sacked on Sunday whatever the result?

We could have signed Duran for £10m
Before Villa but missed out and West Ham would have succeeded with a £38-40m bid in the summer, at the end of the season he’ll be £80-100m player?

Having Branthwaite and Yoro with another left back like Robinson would have revolutionised the team. Playing a high line with pace that condenses the pitch makes players like Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno more effective as they ending playing further away from our goal where they are huge risks of turnovers if we play a deep back line and they don’t have the legs to recover.
You cannot just pick figures out of the air like they are fact!

Branthwaite supposedly they want £80m
Yoro had sights on Madrid next season we paid up to get the club to sell now, just because you say £40m doesn't mean it was achievable
A Onana, unproven but at least he is playing in a functional set up
Ugarte, got to give Ugarte a fair go before condemning him to the scrap heap

In a properly set up team Maguire, Yoro, De Light and Martinez (not counting Evans as surely last season) are really great CB options, Maz and Dalot RB again great, LB is the big issue and we really should have signed somebody that side rather than opting for Dalot

As for a CF, there seems little point signing a CF for a system that does not support a CF, Hoijlund already gets zero service, anyone else will be likewise left adrift

It is indeed shocking.

Ratcliffe has the audacity to claim his ambition is to take us back to the top. That new CEO claims the target is to win the league by 2028.

Then show some fecking action. Sick of the plethora of platitudes and lip service that come from players, managers, CEOs and owners at this club.

Again, if his future depends on the Villa game then that means he should go. No manager decision should come down to one result.

Apparently it was based on Porto and Villa. If someone asked me, describe Ten Hag style of play, it would be how we played against Porto. That is the type of football we play about 85% of the time, which was clearly not good enough for them last season.

I really hope the announcement comes soon after the Villa game, rather than waiting too long.

I'm still backing him. Tired of us constantly sacking managers to then move onto someone completely different, who would want a different set of players and different set of style that will take us another 2-3 years to recover from. Give him to whole season at least and without pressure that he can be sacked at any time. The constant negativity around the club will only be detrimental right now.

This won't happen now. That's the whole point of the new structure.

Think you are being awfully generous with that description. Yes hes won two cups, but all things considering i would not call him that
Also his comparison of EtH to Benitez is very generous, to put it mildly. Honestly, rather an insult to Benitez.

Yes, Benitez wasn’t the most likeable character and not up with the very best managers in the world. Yes we made fun of him here. But EtH’s achievements are nowhere near his. Not even close.

Benitez had a lot less resources than the top teams when he was managing Valencia and Liverpool, yet he won 2 La Liga titles, an UEFA cup and a CL whilst mostly being competitive (although behind the top) in the PL. He was also repeatedly sacked at other clubs quite early with the results usually being not that bad (at least vs EtH), so you might say that he did not have enough time.

Compare that to EtH who was at Ajax with a budget of multiple times more than the next club and at United who spent more than almost everyone under him (and allowed him to stay after 18 month of generally awful performances and results).

Yes, Benitez eventually declined and was constantly falling out with boards/players especially in the later part of his career. But Benitez is more like Tuchel level manager. Whereas EtH is Ole level manager at best.

Last edited:
Although it was painstakingly boring football under LVG, but at least LVG had much worse squad than ETH.

We sacked after LVG won 7 in his last 10 and drawing some 2 games in that. Playstyle was given as a reason for that.

Now we dont even play any style and somehow ETH has survived relegation form for months

This. Pot shots and blind passes just like its training. Don't think they have any faith in him.

That's it for me.

I really wanted him to succeed, but once the players stop believing then he's toast. It's quite evident on the pitch, they either don't know what they are supposed to be doing or they just aren't capable of executing it, I wouldn't say the players are totally blameless, Rashford's attempts to defend both goals yesterday were laughably bad.

But it also comes back to him, to set the team and not put them out their to play in a way that leaves them exposed through the middle. I'll never understand why you'd send Dalot into midfield and force Eriksen out to the left in the build up phase and keep doing it, when it's clearly not working.

He may very well be successful somewhere else in the future, but at this stage, it looks like his tenure at Utd is definitely coming to an end.

Again, if his future depends on the Villa game then that means he should go. No manager decision should come down to one result.
Maybe Ratcliffe is just a sadist? Like Lenny standing in the doorway with everyone else, watching Ten Hag, saying "Get ready, everybody. He's about to do something stupid."?

season is a write off after seven games.. ineos will be focusing on securing a top manager from next season, so it makes little sense to give the job to Ruud so early on, what's the difference.

Am I right in thinking that the whole "he has two games to save his job" thing came from Jamie fecking Jackson? I'd believe my dog before I believed Jamie "fecking" fecking Jackson.
No idea where it came from originally, but I think most people could look at the fixture list and take an educated guess that after Villa would be the most likely time.

We 100% deserve all this when even a random schmuck from the internet could have told you how it's going to pan out. Our "best in class" people had a long review and ended up not only keeping him but actually activating his extension as well making it much harder to sack him. The most incompetent managerial decision we've ever made. Great start for Ineos.

Ten Hag is the most unlikeable manager we've had by far. Imagine gloating about how "I will always win" while putting these kind of performances week in week out, embarrassing himself and the club in the two actual important competitions. He goes on about "his" cups like he won the CL and like one of them wasn't a mickey mouse competition. Or like in the other cup he wasn't incredibly lucky to not lose to fecking Coventry. Absolutely sick of him using these cup wins to prop himself up. So small time and for some reason fans bought into it. This "winner" of a manager has won only 1 game out of the last 10 in Europe, and some people still have the nerve to say he's a good cup manager. I guess he needs easy home draws for his system to work.

One thing that does my head in is people still trying to make a claim that "there were no good options out there" so it was reasonable to keep him. Liverpool and Chelsea needed a manager and easily got one. It's only us who apparently either need this perfect manager who checks all the boxes or we rather just persist with a proven failure instead. We still somehow have people saying we've sacked too many managers. Only our fanbase can't comprehend that statistically most managers will fail. It's part of the game, you replace him and move on. But no, not with us. A flukey win vs Villa will give him at least another month. You'd think the best in class people wouln't base their decisions on a one off game but they already did exactly that.

Every failure this season is on him.
Most of the players he got are comfortable playing a passing possession football under other managers. It was under him they turn to shite.
I'm looking forward that a head coach who have the ability and clarity in his tactics to coach these players.

season is a write off after seven games.. ineos will be focusing on securing a top manager from next season, so it makes little sense to give the job to Ruud so early on, what's the difference.
The difference is we might be better under Ruud, we won't under ETH, if we are not replacing until next season maybe Ruud could at least get us into a better position, who knows, maybe he would also be bad, but has to be worth the attempt

Scary how a guy can spend over £600m and we look worse than under previous managers.

Tired of his waffling and excuses, time for INEOS to show they won't duck the big calls.

One of my mates does my head in. He just refuses to criticise ETH and he's WhatsApping me today blaming the players!
It is pure madness at this stage. All of our squad was either signed under EtH or given a new contract or promoted to the first team by EtH. Exceptions being Lindelof (who is like 6th choice defender) and Maguire (who actually saved us from the defeat yesterday).

Only Rashford and Shaw are left from LvG, they plus Lindelof and Dalot are left from Jose. We have only 6 players from Ole left (8 if you include Amad and Garnacho who were there under Ole but did not play much in the first team).

It is EtH squad as much as a manager can expect it to be in his third season. It is his job to motivate the players and get the best out of them. There are no particular indications that they are downing tools or throwing him under the bus - when was the last leak from players camp that there is dissatisfaction with EtH?

Unless one claims some grand anti-EtH conspiracy, with each player who is signed even with his blessing somehow becoming a part of it, EtH is a major culprit. Of course he does not take all the blame, it is never that simple. But the executives above him have been replaced. The players have largely being replaced. The coaching staff also. Even medical staff. He is the elephant in the room.

You cannot just pick figures out of the air like they are fact!

Branthwaite supposedly they want £80m
Yoro had sights on Madrid next season we paid up to get the club to sell now, just because you say £40m doesn't mean it was achievable
A Onana, unproven but at least he is playing in a functional set up
Ugarte, got to give Ugarte a fair go before condemning him to the scrap heap

In a properly set up team Maguire, Yoro, De Light and Martinez (not counting Evans as surely last season) are really great CB options, Maz and Dalot RB again great, LB is the big issue and we really should have signed somebody that side rather than opting for Dalot

As for a CF, there seems little point signing a CF for a system that does not support a CF, Hoijlund already gets zero service, anyone else will be likewise left adrift
Let’s be realistic here how many player’s has United signed in the last 3 years without PL experience that have been a bonafied hit?
How Many ?

At least Ole and Jose got some transfers right, Fred and Maguire are hugely underrated and undervalued , Matic, Cavani and Zlatan relatively successful, Pogba for all his antics and his ego, he was light years beyond the current C and D listers that Eric the Fraud has bought, my point was unless your buying a superstar from Europe they very rarely do well in the PL, let alone at a huge club like United where the pressure simply overwhelms them!

Another day, and not even an inkling of news about him being sacked. Hopefully it's just INEOS being secure, but then again the Tuchel interview rumours in the summer spread like wildfire.

He is lucky that he's won trophies as without them I think he'd be comfortably seen as the worst manager you've had post-Fergie.
100%.

For me personally, I think it's still something like Mourinho > van Gaal >> Ole > ten Hag > Moyes

Actually kinda feel sad for ETH now, looks drained in every interview, seems like he knows what's coming for him. Shame he doesn't negotiate a deal to leave the club, rather than waiting to be sacked. I see no way back for him, he's lost some of the players and we all know how it goes from here.

14 goals in the last 6 games. At least he has sorted out the goal scoring issues from last season.

Now he needs the players to stop letting him down in defence. So many individual mistakes that shouldn’t be happening. Think we should be set once Shaw and Yoro are back. They are high IQ players who are able to follow instructions.
Honestly. I haven't judged him critically at all since Luke Shaw got injured.

Actually kinda feel sad for ETH now, looks drained in every interview, seems like he knows what's coming for him. Shame he doesn't negotiate a deal to leave the club, rather than waiting to be sacked. I see no way back for him, he's lost some of the players and we all know how it goes from here.

Feel sorry for guys like Mainoo and Garnacho, who at such a young age have been burdened with immense pressure because of ten Hag's incompetence.

Unless our so called "best in class" football people are brave enough to admit thier mistakes and make changes soon by appointing new manager. We can still win the EL to qualify for CL. However, I think the PL is gone.

It's nonsense. The answer whether to sack him should be a no brainer if it gets to "one game" stage.

What if we get a lucky draw/scrape a 1-0 and are hanging on for most of the game? All is forgotten?

Feel sorry for guys like Mainoo and Garnacho, who at such a young age have been burdened with immense pressure because of ten Hag's incompetence.

There is nothing to feel sorry about. I am sure they themselves would want the pressure, most young players thrive on it, especially if they are really good players.

Look at Mbappe, Jude, Haaland all were the main men in their team, with pressure. Mbappe had the pressure of winning the CL and world cup.

Let’s be realistic here how many player’s has United signed in the last 3 years without PL experience that have been a bonafied hit?
How Many ?

At least Ole and Jose got some transfers right, Fred and Maguire are hugely underrated and undervalued , Matic, Cavani and Zlatan relatively successful, Pogba for all his antics and his ego, he was light years beyond the current C and D listers that Eric the Fraud has bought, my point was unless your buying a superstar from Europe they very rarely do well in the PL, let alone at a huge club like United where the pressure simply overwhelms them!
The second anyone rates Pogba I stop listening, I have taken shits I regret flushing more than that waste

Unless our so called "best in class" football people are brave enough to admit thier mistakes and make changes soon by appointing new manager. We can still win the EL to qualify for CL. However, I think the PL is gone.
who? they were trying to find someone in the summer, not much has changed in 2 months. If there was a top class manager available it'd be easier

Let me guess he thinks it's the same players letting managers down for the last 10 years? I have a mate who is the same no matter how many times I point out that we don't have the same squad of players. :lol:

He's incredibly stubborn and that will be his downfall.
He's done IMO and I reckon he would have been done if Tuchel said yes to us in the summer.
I get the whole we need time part of it, but this squad is more than good enough to properly comepete for top 4 (that's gone already) and have a decent playing style. Nobody is asking for prime Barcelona levels of football but our performances have been unacceptable.

who? they were trying to find someone in the summer, not much has changed in 2 months. If there was a top class manager available it'd be easier

The best in class are paid millions per year salary to solve exactly that. If they can't, they need to ask themselves are they really competent for the positions. In the same window, Liverpool and Chelsea seems to change manager quite ok.

The way football people, or at least the idiots around United, approach these situations is hilarious.

How many make-or-break moments have we had under Jose, Ole, Hag now? Probably at least a dozen between the 3 of them.

Make or break moment is a euphemism for "we were too thick/cowardly to sack him when it was obvious he had failed"

I do truly believe he was doomed after that Brentford 4-0.
Those two games, Brighton and Brentford were his ideology/system. We got battered so he changed it.

Then we got more players for his system (last year) and the same issues we had those first two games extrapolated over a whole year. We got outplayed probably in a good 80% of games last year, and I don't think I'm exaggerating.

This basically means, the closer we get to what he wants from us - the worse we look. The improvement in form this year is mainly due to players being more available. We have more control in games Eriksen, we pressed well when Mount played. It wasn't the system.

The way football people, or at least the idiots around United, approach these situations is hilarious.

How many make-or-break moments have we had under Jose, Ole, Hag now? Probably at least a dozen between the 3 of them.

Make or break moment is a euphemism for "we were too thick/cowardly to sack him when it was obvious he had failed"
The football people at the club had nothing to do with Jose or Ole

You don’t have to believe everything you read in the press.

I hope the decision has already been made, and that they're just stringing things along for a bit while wheels are put in motion. He's done, 100%. And I for one will be hugely relieved to see the back of him.