Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
That’s literally how I am with ETH. Everytime he opens his mouth he is delusional and gives excuses. I can’t stand him and I can honestly say I have never wanted a United manager sacked more than I have with ETH, even more than Moyes and Mou.

It’s weird, as much as I want him sacked and have done for pretty much the best part of 12 months now, I don’t actually dislike the guy. I think he’s trying his best, and he genuinely believes in his methods, it’s just not working.

While I couldn’t stand Moyes, LVG & Jose by the end of their tenures, I just feel sorry for ETH. He’s like an animal that needs to be put out to slaughter. Watching him try to muddle on through is just sad now.

He didn't agree on a new contract. The club exercised a one-year extension option they had on the existing contract. Terms haven't changed as a result.
He is now due compensation for the extra activated year, full salary most likely, so in a way, the terms have changed. Even if we go for a coach who is already under contract, we will have to pay a fee, whether that's Iraola, McKena etc.

Both of these fees combined make his stay a big, big and a expensive mistake.

Last edited:
It’s weird, as much as I want him sacked and have done for pretty much the best part of 12 months now, I don’t actually dislike the guy. I think he’s trying his best, and he genuinely believes in his methods, it’s just not working.

While I couldn’t stand Moyes, LVG & Jose by the end of their tenures, I just feel sorry for ETH. He’s like an animal that needs to be put out to slaughter. Watching him try to muddle on through is just sad now.
I feel the same way about him. It weird because for the first 12 months of his tenure, I geniunely thought that we can be PL contenders in the near future. Him turning OT into an invincible fortress. And now, look how far we've fallen. We get dismantled routinely on our turf. We get constant beatings and most of our fanbase think we are closer to the likes of Forest and Bournemouth than Arsenal and City.

I feel the same way about him. It weird because for the first 12 months of his tenure, I geniunely thought that we can be PL contenders in the near future. Him turning OT into an invincible fortress. And now, look how far we've fallen. We get dismantled routinely on our turf. We get constant beatings and most of our fanbase think we are closer to the likes of Forest and Bournemouth than Arsenal and City.
The league table seems to think that too.

The funny thing is that right now he has most of his squad fit to play, except for the LBs, so the injury execuse won't work.

Terrible start to the season and smashed twice in OT by the dippers & Son less Spuds, he really has to go, the start of the season was his chance to show what he can deliver, and he failed in both performances and results.

His instructions and tactics do not work, the players look clueless, I am not absolving them but they seem lost.

The club must let him go, persisting with him is pointless, you persist with something if there is a light at end of the tunnel, with this fella there is no light, let him go Jim & Co.

Happy to hear he still has their backing.

We need things to get so bad that the fan base gets the idea that everyone of our managers will eventually turn into Fergie out of their head. That way, with future managers, people won't hesitate to criticise poor management because it took Sir Alex a few years to get going or because every single one of the starting 11 and bench isn't a signing of theirs.

Ok the results have been crap, transfers have been crap, but what is bothering me the most and making me feel stupid is how giddy we all were about his playing style when he was about to be hired. I remember all the videos of that Ajax team showing great movement, team goals with quick passing, very good pressing, and so on.

Did we see any of that at any point here?

We are 12th with -3 GD thats after the worst PL and CL campaigns a season prior yet there are still people backing him. What the heck? Do you need to see us relegated first? Last season Bournemouth humiliated us 0 - 3 at OT, the first ever Bournemouth win at OT iirc and their newbie manager, Andoni Iraola dissected Ten Hags plan and how he neutralized them (attack the massive gap left behind), did you see anything different with the way we lose to Liverpool and Spurs?? @Wibble , @Red Indian Chief Torn Rubber @Andersons Dietician ? (the last one i remember being overly critical of Ole)

Last edited:
Ok the results have been crap, transfers have been crap, but what is bothering me the most and making me feel stupid is how giddy we all were about his playing style when he was about to be hired. I remember all the videos of that Ajax team showing great movement, team goals with quick passing, very good pressing, and so on.

That's why it's been the most disappointing hire for me.

He was a profile that we hadn't tried before post-Fergie. An up and coming young(ish) manager who's won and was ready for a step up.

Wanted nothing more than for him to be a long term success when he was hired. Even thought we were on the right track after his 1st season, even though their were a few worrying signs (the away and top 6 form in the league + a much less effective playing style than expected).

Now he's into season 3 with more club backing than we've given anyone else to mold the squad into his image and we have yet to see even a fraction of what he was able to do regularly at Ajax. I'm afraid we were swindled quite badly but it happens.

Still doesn't mean we should stick things through out of any misguided sunken cost fallacy or short term embarrassment for not being decisive at the end of last season.

Happy to hear he still has their backing.

We need things to get so bad that the fan base gets the idea that everyone of our managers will eventually turn into Fergie out of their head. That way, with future managers, people won't hesitate to criticise poor management because it took Sir Alex a few years to get going or because every single one of the starting 11 and bench isn't a signing of theirs.

Yeah I'm hoping this situation will lead to a positive change in our fan culture surrounding managers, it's something that stuck in a bygone era.

Still doesn't mean we should stick things through out of any misguided sunken cost fallacy or short term embarrassment for not being decisive at the end of last season.
This far into it and the embarrassment is already long term and constant. We've gone beyond being a laughing stock and now languish in irrelevance.

I really hope that INEOS can see that, because the embarrassment of continuing with ETH and hoping for change will outweigh flip-flopping on their stance and removing him from his role.

Pretty sure no club currently in the PL top 10, maybe even top 15 would tolerate two back to back humiliations at home. Especially when you consider all the previous humilations
Exactly. It has to be about the fantasy of re-creating another SAF when in truth he is a once-in-a-lifetime type manager.
We are a club like others which should never hesitate to fire an underperforming coach.

So he actually survived, crazy.

Two more loses incoming then I guess.

Where have you been during his tenure? He will draw with Porto with a decent defensive performance and then eek out a result against Aston Villa to earn himself a stay of execution- again. This is what Ten Hag does every time his head is on the block.

Can just imagine the players having conversations behind his back this week, this is exactly why Ruud should have taken these two games.

Could then have utilised international break to either see if they can find agreement with Tuchel or maybe get Allegri (think he has quite defensive style though)

But why the feck would you do that? That's mental saying something like that.
How can you back someone completely and then turn your back on them after 90 minutes? You're essentially saying your support isn't worth anything.
Ok. That sounded wrong. What I meant was - I was backing him, hoping that he would turn things around and understand the gravity of the situation. But unfortunately, there have been zero improvements since the Pool game and he has not idea how to get us back on track. We had a few sparks at the beginning of the season, but are quickly regressing this season. Its not like I went from ETH in to ETH out in a matter of minutes. It was building up for the last few weeks, and unfortunately the last game was the final straw for me.

Where have you been during his tenure? He will draw with Porto with a decent defensive performance and then eek out a result against Aston Villa to earn himself a stay of execution- again. This is what Ten Hag does every time his head is on the block.
Wouldn't surprise me :wenger:

Anyone else keep looking on their sky sports app every hour or so to see if they’ve finally sacked Hag? Surely it’s happening, despite what they’re putting out there about backing and support.

I’m clinging to the hope they’re sorting shit out with someone else, claiming they’re backing him in a desperate attempt to keep the players motivated for the next couple of games before they hook him during the international break.

Clutching?

I think its a bit too much for all these players to react to rumors in the media. When it comes to us, a good % of the news is just ridiculous speculation.
Porto and Villa being do or die for Ten Hag is just another variation of the rumor that Ten Hag has till International break to turn things around, which was put out after the Pool game.
Agree with this, everyone losing their shit over speculation-based speculation is quite something to behold.

Anyone else keep looking on their sky sports app every hour or so to see if they’ve finally sacked Hag? Surely it’s happening, despite what they’re putting out there about backing and support.

I’m clinging to the hope they’re sorting shit out with someone else, claiming they’re backing him in a desperate attempt to keep the players motivated for the next couple of games before they hook him during the international break.

Clutching?
All I do is come here and rant because I don’t have any faith in the club pulling the trigger soon. We are always slow and ponderous -regardless of ceo / technical director.

Quite amazing that he’s still here.

All I do is come here and rant because I don’t have any faith in the club pulling the trigger soon. We are always slow and ponderous -regardless of ceo / technical director.

Firing the manager is a board decision due to the fact that the level of compensation they receive usually falls under having a significant financial impact.

Yeah I'm hoping this situation will lead to a positive change in our fan culture surrounding managers, it's something that stuck in a bygone era.
It probably won't because this fan base is obsessed with having a manager for 20 years, but it's worth a shot.

Sack him now and, if the next manager is a failure, it will be the same ol' story. It'll be wrong to criticise him until he's had multiple years and a full starting 11 of his own players regardless of performances on the pitch. We need people to realise that the managers capable of competing for the top trophies don't need - or get - everything their own way. They make the best and elevate what they have.

I'm just gutted about the whole thing. We look like we are in a huge mess, he clearly needs to go but there is no one to take his place.

Can't even remember our last good performance
except the cup final. We are spirally so badly.

I think you've solved the problem yourself there without realizing. If we've been so bad for so long, then it's a low bar to improve from. So the idea that there's no one out there who couldn't be getting more from these players is nonsense.

I think their taking the long approach. Its selfish, but for them it makes sense. Ten Hag wasn't their signing and no one can blame them for his appointment and poor performances. At the end of last season, if they had sacked him, there would have been fans and large portions of the media reacting negatively to their decision. Despite it being really important to our current season to have him gone as soon as possible, for INEOS, buying time comes with low risk. They get the time and space to get what they want, how they want it, whilst also being on the right side of optics. I genuinely believe that this is why they actually kept him.

Noone can say that they didn't give him a chance, back him in the market or support him publicly, like people tried to do with Ole, Mourinho, Moyes and LVG. I think we're speaking with managers on the backend, but are making sure to put a public face of some support.
Correct. I don't think INEOS had anything to lose in keeping him in the summer. Before jumping into the argument... hear me out.

We had a horrible season last season. But in hindsight - ETH had plenty of excuses and legit cause for his failure. Injuries being a major reason, and also having operated without a DoF or football people at the top for almost 2 years. He would've been hard done by if they sacked him at the end of last season, specially after winning the FA Cup. Most fans would have reacted negatively, and so would the press. We all knew that chopping and changing managers was not the way forward because it hasn't worked for the last 10 years, and INEOS knows this. And on top of that, ETH had a dozen very legit excuses, so it was only fair that they give him an opportunity to prove himself under their management.

They took over transfers and the strategic side of the club, which was our problem since 2013. They revamped the squad and started getting everything under control like wage bills, PSR, etc., giving ETH the best platform to succeed. They created a situation where failure would not be any fault of theirs.

You can't blame a club for choosing to keep faith in a manager. If it works, then great. If it doesn't, sack him and get a new manager. You can do that at any time. Sacking a manager is easy, but rather than going for the easy option (which may or not have worked) - they tried fixing everything else around him. They've done their review, they've fixed the club structure, they gave him players - it was upto ETH to deliver - which he hasn't this season. So now, they have enough grounds to sack him without facing backlash from the fans.

And in all honesty, we have to stop acting like we won the league, 2 years ago. We have been abysmal for 11 years, and we're certainly not winning the title soon. What have we to lose by backing ETH, except time? More than a decade has gone - what's another season.

Has anyone checked the source for the 2 games to save his skin idea, because as far as I can see Sky have just made it up? A lot of people have said the time that would make sense is international break/post Villa so they’re just dressing up that as a story.

None of them know, most of the journos confirmed ETH had been sacked pre FA cup when that random Chelsea journo leaked a non story that went viral because our fanbase latched onto it. He might well be booted out pre Porto, none of them have a clue.

The media are definitely scrambling as the news since Sunday has been tepid speculation. I'm personally disappointed that he didn't get the boot yesterday.

That’s what’s making think they’ve got a cunning plan….let’s just hope it isn’t Baldrickesque

Have just changed my vote. To sack.

Thought that giving him some more time and another good window might see us turn the corner.

But it’s clear to see that he is just not tactically flexible enough to be the man in charge. Some baffling decisions this season.

And if you’ve lost the dressing room, then the writing is on the wall.

Still praying he somehow turns it around. But it’s a fool’s hope at this point in time.

Hope Ineos are swift and decisive.

'Despite him having the support of the dressing room, there is a growing feeling among the squad that he can't stop the rot, and that change is inevitable.'

Who we gettin' sack next innit?

Mad that some people still think this is a thing, even when the managers had 2 years and 5 windows to replace 75 odd percent of the squad with his own players.

I don't remember the polls ever ticking past 60% sack for Jose, LVG or OGS but I might be wrong.

Certainly feels like a larger majority are now vocally calling for EtH to go than ever actively championed sacking previous managers.

EtH is the first manager in my lifetime I have ever openly suggested we should sack - because it was obvious from Palace at home last season that he was taking us down a dead end

Makes sense as we never got this bad under LVG as we have been for over a year now. And while things got bad under Jose and Ole it was only for a month or two before the club pulled the trigger. As opposed to letting it drag on for close to a year.

Truth be told I thought he should have went last December as it didn't look like he was turning it around even back then.

Only at times with Eriksen on the pitch. It’s evident that he gives Lisandro and De Ligt an outlet they trust like they were used to at Ajax.

One of my biggest frustrations too. His Ajax side played some really good stuff and the goals were beautiful. We’ve seen it in rare patches and the press and dominance pretty much never. Not sure why he’s not done this at United, or even tried. Especially given most of this team is his now.

One of my biggest frustrations too. His Ajax side played some really good stuff and the goals were beautiful. We’ve seen it in rare patches and the press and dominance pretty much never. Not sure why he’s not done this at United, or even tried. Especially given most of this team is his now.

Was he largely responsible for it at Ajax though?