Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
We were decent to watch post-penalty against Southampton and in the goalless first halves of the Fulham and Palace games. Other than that, not good.
It was actually a very strong first 60-70 mins against palace, but OK. We were also good against Brighton for a longer spell.

I was told by @2 man midfield to jump in here from time to time to remind you guys how horrible it is to watch Tuchels style of football. Watching paint dry would be a lifechanging event compared to the football he sets up his teams to play.
I wasn’t against the idea of Tuchel all that long ago, but his Bayern stint made me think twice. All your fans seem to despise him :lol:

I wasn’t against the idea of Tuchel all that long ago, but his Bayern stint made me think twice. All your fans seem to despise him :lol:
We do. Not just the horrid style of play, but the way he got forced in by the board and pushing out Nagelsmann.

He should be gone this season which will be the hallmarks of the most significant progress INEOS can make both on and off the field since their arrival.

Was listening to one of the United centered channels and they raised good points with the developments of the current manager being too slow for it to actually be considered beneficial.

Even Maresca / Slott less reputable managers compared to Erik at Ajax, successfully implementing a cohesive direction with what they intend their respective teams to do, irrespective of if they are successful or not it does augment even a remote form of expectation. By comparison it's three seasons in for Erik and there's only now some semblance of a plan having started each season with a marginally different philosophy but all in all yielding very little fruit (including this current season).

Anyone backing the manager at this point is almost deluding themselves into thinking he comes good. The writing has been on the wall for quite a while now.

He should be gone this season which will be the hallmarks of the most significant progress INEOS can make both on and off the field since their arrival.

Was listening to one of the United centered channels and they raised good points with the developments of the current manager being too slow for it to actually be considered beneficial.

Even Maresca / Slott less reputable managers compared to Erik at Ajax, successfully implementing a cohesive direction with what they intend their respective teams to do, irrespective of if they are successful or not it does augment even a remote form of expectation. By comparison it's three seasons in for Erik and there's only now some semblance of a plan having started each season with a marginally different philosophy but all in all yielding very little fruit (including this current season).

Anyone backing the manager at this point is almost deluding themselves into thinking he comes good. The writing has been on the wall for quite a while now.
Shush, you will be given out to by the ETH in brigade....
Any logic goes over their heads. I have been saying this for ages, used Klopp as an argument but I was told he has Salah and VVD. One was bought nearly over 1 year later and Salah was nearly 2 years later.

Klopp joined in November or something of 2015, by January you could see the style he wanted even without a window. By March they ran out of steam, was expected as the team wasn't up to standard. But he got what was needed and turned the club in the right direction.

However, our beloved Baldy is falling out with players, making excuses and over paying on bang average Ajax players.

Yeah I did refer to injuries. This is the stuff I wanted you to quote.

Unless you're so entrenched in your ways that logic outright defeats you, you'd agree our performance in certain games is much improved and we were unfortunate not to pick up points.

This is a clear case in Palace. Now you either agree with that (in which case it's not just an excuse but an obvious fact of how we played), or you disagree (in which case you're just about hyperbole and made up narratives).

Unless you’re so entrenched in your ways that logic outright defeats you, you’d agree that a good but goalless half against a poor Palace side who are wallowing at the bottom of the table is still miles off where we should be given the money spent and the amount of time Ten Hag has had, even if it is an improvement on the awful season we had last year.

The minor improvements we’ve seen in a few games against fairly limited opponents might be enough to convince you this season will be different. Seeing many of the same old inconsistencies, weaknesses and poor game management during a fairly gentle start to the season makes me think we’re going to continue to underperform significantly.

If you think that latter stance is hyperbole, I’d recommend looking up that word again, because I don’t think it means what you seem to think it means.

Unless you’re so entrenched in your ways that logic outright defeats you, you’d agree that a good but goalless half against a poor Palace side who are wallowing at the bottom of the table is still miles off where we should be given the money spent and the amount of time Ten Hag has had, even if it is an improvement on the awful season we had last year.

The minor improvements we’ve seen in a few games against fairly limited opponents might be enough to convince you this season will be different. Seeing many of the same old inconsistencies, weaknesses and poor game management during a fairly gentle start to the season makes me think we’re going to continue to underperform significantly.

If you think that latter stance is hyperbole, I’d recommend looking up that word again, because I don’t think it means what you seem to think it means.
Its clear you struggle with comprehension so Il make it more clear.

Do you agree that our performances were much improved vs Palace than it was generally last season? If yes, how is my post in any way shape or form an excuse for our manager?

This isn't rocket science.

To me, it is as follows: he either changes his approach and setup completely, start benching out of form players again, or he will lose his job in the next 4 games.

Do you agree that our performances were much improved vs Palace than it was generally last season? If yes, how is my post in any way shape or form an excuse for our manager?

I understand what you’re trying to do perfectly well thanks. I just think the truth lies beyond your transparent false dichotomy.

It was better in some ways. It was still very poor in other ways. The ways in which it was still poor are reoccurring under Ten Hag so it did not convince me that an improvement in results is on its way, and therefore Ten Hag should still be held accountable for the aspects of our game that remain not good enough.

Understand?

Put out a good team with clear tactics. Make good subs at appropriate junctures. Win the game. Fans love you. Simples.

To me, it is as follows: he either changes his approach and setup completely, start benching out of form players again, or he will lose his job in the next 4 games.
I wonder if he actually knows what his best team is because the rest of the world certainly doesn't. You get people saying (possibly correctly) that Zirkzee and Hojlund simply have to start, that Bruno has no place in the team, that Amad is clearly the future and needs to play, that Eriksen needs to start, that Martinez is overrated and De Ligt and Yoro are the future...

I don't think any of us know if any of that is true. I honestly have no idea what our best 11 is at this point.

He was a disaster. Just this incredibly whiny guy who sucked every bit of joy out of the club.

I wonder if he actually knows what his best team is because the rest of the world certainly doesn't. You get people saying (possibly correctly) that Zirkzee and Hojlund simply have to start, that Bruno has no place in the team, that Amad is clearly the future and needs to play, that Eriksen needs to start, that Martinez is overrated and De Ligt and Yoro are the future...

I don't think any of us know if any of that is true. I honestly have no idea what our best 11 is at this point.
That's why I think a smart manager plays by form. Bruno has been shit, bench him. If Zirkzee and Holland would klick, keep it. If Amad outperforms Antony or GArnacho, keep him there. If anything changes, change it again... I dont like this very stubborn approach he has

Just fyi - there is also (in my perception) a number of fans who are against a sacking because there is no obvious candidate to take over. I know that isn't such a beafy headline to argument against, but it is what it is. Based on this thread, I am not sure how often you've seen stuff like "he will ultimately come good". Sacking for sackings sake with no real contingency plan is activism. And it actually is the simple way out of things. Watching us over the last few years, we have taken the easy way out too often. Your criticism is heard, to some extent even agreed on, but lets not act as if the conclusions you draw from it, have any more substance than the conclusions of others.

That's why I think a smart manager plays by form. Bruno has been shit, bench him. If Zirkzee and Holland would klick, keep it. If Amad outperforms Antony or GArnacho, keep him there. If anything changes, change it again... I dont like this very stubborn approach he has
I guess, he is trying to give minutes to players to play them into form - and considering that Rashford and Bruno have delivered for him in the past, there is some rationale behind sticking to them. I agree with your idea here as well - he certainly shouldn't stick with them just because, I just think it needs to be pointed out that pure favoriteism isn't the only way of explaining it.

Today, the team has another opportunity to pass a test in order to break the underachieving trend since the season started.
Hope them get it done. Otherwise, …

Right so once. Once in his career. Thanks.
I understand what you're trying to say. But the facts are - when we finished second in his first year, our football was absolutely dire towards the end of the season and we stumbled across the line.
Next year he not only didn't build on the previous success, but got found out in the CL and our PL results were awful. Goal difference of 0 is pathetic. Ok, he had injuries to deal with. He was only saved by the FA Cup, in which we almost managed to go out to Coventry on penalties!
And this season so far we've had maybe 120 minutes of playing when we looked like we were under control (bar the Barnsley game).
I hope I will be proven wrong, but so far nothing tells me this team will do better this season. And there's a big gap between where we are now and where we need to be.

I understand what you’re trying to do perfectly well thanks. I just think the truth lies beyond your transparent false dichotomy.

It was better in some ways. It was still very poor in other ways. The ways in which it was still poor are reoccurring under Ten Hag so it did not convince me that an improvement in results is on its way, and therefore Ten Hag should still be held accountable for the aspects of our game that remain not good enough.

Understand?
So back to the quote that you decided to point to in order to claim I'm excusing the manager, you actually agree the performance was more encouraging.

Cheers, thought so.

This half dance you're doing to cover your backside is dead obvious. Playing down how good the general performance was by claiming it was only for the first 45 mins and not 65-70 odd minutes shows it's just not worth continuing to debate with you. Youl literally make up how the game went to suit a narrative that it wasn't encouraging.

And among my posts this season, I also said it's his last chance saloon and that he needs to show progressive football with results in the next 7 after Liverpool. I suppose you ignored that to force fit your own story that I'm always excusing our coach. I do find that pretty sad.

I understand what you're trying to say. But the facts are - when we finished second in his first year, our football was absolutely dire towards the end of the season and we stumbled across the line.
Next year he not only didn't build on the previous success, but got found out in the CL and our PL results were awful. Goal difference of 0 is pathetic. Ok, he had injuries to deal with. He was only saved by the FA Cup, in which we almost managed to go out to Coventry on penalties!
And this season so far we've had maybe 120 minutes of playing when we looked like we were under control (bar the Barnsley game).
I hope I will be proven wrong, but so far nothing tells me this team will do better this season. And there's a big gap between where we are now and where we need to be.
And I have no problem with a view that he's not the man to lead us on. I disagree with it at this stage but I am probably a bit more poor form away from joining the same belief.

That being said, he's obviously not just a midtable coach. The problem with some of the consensus is they exaggerated his lack of worth as a coach, probably because they're just angry at the situation.

So back to the quote that you decided to point to in order to claim I'm excusing the manager, you actually agree the performance was more encouraging.

Cheers, thought so.

This half dance you're doing to cover your backside is dead obvious. Playing down how good the general performance was by claiming it was only for the first 45 mins and not 65-70 odd minutes shows it's just not worth continuing to debate with you. Youl literally make up how the game went to suit a narrative that it wasn't encouraging.

And among my posts this season, I also said it's his last chance saloon and that he needs to show progressive football with results in the next 7 after Liverpool. I suppose you ignored that to force fit your own story that I'm always excusing our coach. I do find that pretty sad.

No. I didn’t say that. I was not particularly encouraged by that game because we still dropped points in a very winnable game. It left me feeling like we were almost certainly going to continue to drop points in upcoming games given our fixture list.

What I actually said was that we were better in some ways and still very poor in other ways, against an unimpressive Palace team. I thought Palace still had the better chances to win it in the second half.

You’ve spent the best part of the last year making excuses for Ten Hag. I’m not going to give you credit because you’re slowly but surely running out of them.

Last edited:

Palace were on a strong run of 6 wins and a draw in their last 7 games last season (including basically ending Liverpool's title challenge) whereas this season, they're winless and in terrible form.

Our so-called hour-long much improved performance this season clearly had a big helping hand from Palace too. Haven't seen many of the context people mention this.

If the long term future of United is best without ETH, I think I'd take a 0-3 drubbing just to hasten the process. We aren't finishing in the top 4. There's hardly any difference between fifth and fifteenth,

Imagine claiming that a 0-0 against 18th place & winless Crystal Palace in a game where they had the best chance of the match was ‘encouraging’ :lol::lol:

feck me, the depths that some of you are prepared to lower your standards in order to defend ETH is absolutely embarrassing.

He needs a big win today. And a performance to match. Anything less and the week ahead is looking ominous for him.

Players didn't look arsed against Twente and don't look arsed today. The dressing room is slipping away from him.

If we’re fed up I can’t imagine how sick to the back teeth the players are of him. Imagine being set up to fail every single week