Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the idea of him being in a One Stop in Droylesden is quite charming I can’t think of a single reason he would be in that area of Manchester. It’s not nearby or on the way to/from anything of interest, especially to a Hale resident who’s only recently moved to Greater Manchester.

It's pretty much how we generally set up last season when we have both Eriksen and Bruno starting imo. Not exactly two #10 but I'd say two hybrid #8. When we attack they're two #10 when we defend they're two #8. Of course there's also a lot of tweaks and changes depending on the opponent.

People usually think Bruno played as a #10 last season because it was his default position in the previous seasons. But last season Bruno was not exactly a #10. He no longer make a lot of runs into the box like before and covered a shitload of ground up, down, left and right basically everywhere every matches. He's actually more of a #8 than a #10. Pretty much would be said with Eriksen except he didn't have the legs to cover the ground especially after his injury.

Agree Mount will replace Eriksen. Imo we'd probably get better as Mount simply could cover a lot more of ground than Erkisen. He's also faster and a better dribbler as well imo. I don't watch him much so no idea about his passing though. Might be not as good as Eriksen imo.
If the friendly, first half against Leeds is anything to go by, we will indeed play with one dm (Mainoo), one dlp/cm (Mount) and a cm/am (Mejbri). Basically like last season’s Casemiro/Eriksen/ Bruno. You can call it dm+two cm, or dm+cm+am it’s all good.

Mount’s passing was great. He dropped deep often to help progress the ball and played a killer pass in the 10th minute. He also was a goal threat.

If the friendly, first half against Leeds is anything to go by, we will indeed play with one dm (Mainoo), one dlp/cm (Mount) and a cm/am (Mejbri). Basically like last season’s Casemiro/Eriksen/ Bruno. You can call it dm+two cm, or dm+cm+am it’s all good.

Mount’s passing was great. He dropped deep often to help progress the ball and played a killer pass in the 10th minute. He also was a goal threat.
Good to hear he's a great passer. But imo we shouldn't take anything from a pre season friendly with the kids. Let's see how it goes when the season starts. Mount is quite versatile imo it'd be interesting to see how ETH uses him.

Good to hear he's a great passer. But imo we shouldn't take anything from a pre season friendly with the kids. Let's see how it goes when the season starts. Mount is quite versatile imo it'd be interesting to see how ETH uses him.
Indeed just a pre-season game, I’m sure though Mount will primarily play in Eriksen’s role.

He’s been brilliant since arriving. Got every big call right.

Dealing with Ronaldo, De Gea and Maguire so convincingly within twelve months would not have happened under any post-Ferguson manager. Not to mention the dogshit squad he inherited.

He’s been brilliant since arriving. Got every big call right.

Dealing with Ronaldo, De Gea and Maguire so convincingly within twelve months would not have happened under any post-Ferguson manager. Not to mention the dogshit squad he inherited.

It wasn't complete dogshit, but good isn't good enough. They weren't good enough to make the next step up going into Ole's 3rd season and then they collapsed once they exited CL. It spiraled from there, most importantly their competitiveness and effort was unacceptable.

Their psyche was shot, division in the dressing room, and zero belief in anything other than themselves.

I remember there was a thread about Ole sorting out the deadwood in the squad but this guy seems to be taking it to the next level. Ronaldo, DDG, and now probably Maguire all going/gone. All were given very fair chances I feel and decent treatment by the manager too. Shaw and AWB were given a fresh start but they took their opportunities. EtH seems to have a very firm but fair approach.

It wasn't complete dogshit, but good isn't good enough. They weren't good enough to make the next step up going into Ole's 3rd season and then they collapsed once they exited CL. It spiraled from there, most importantly their competitiveness and effort was unacceptable.

Their psyche was shot, division in the dressing room, and zero belief in anything other than themselves.

It was utterly appalling.

The only first team central midfielders at the club this time last year were McTominay, Fred and Bruno. His first team attacking options were limited to Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Anthony fecking Elanga. I’d include Ronaldo had he not already decided to leave. Woeful options.

The only first team central midfielders at the club this time last year were McTominay, Fred and Bruno. His first team attacking options were limited to Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Anthony fecking Elanga. I’d include Ronaldo had he not already decided to leave. Woeful options.

Yeah, the squad was (and, to an extent, still is) nowhere near fit for purpose. Huge flaws in all of the most important positions. The whole spine of the team needed to be be rebuilt. And the less said about the “squad players” the better. Looks like every one of them will need to be sacked off.

If I’m honest, I’m more than a bit worried about how much work ETH still has to do to finish that rebuild. With time and money getting tighter all the time.

I mean, there's probably a dozen teams in the league who would kill for those attacking options.

Yeah, the squad was (and, to an extent, still is) nowhere near fit for purpose. Huge flaws in all of the most important positions. The whole spine of the team needed to be be rebuilt. And the less said about the “squad players” the better. Looks like every one of them will need to be sacked off.

If I’m honest, I’m more than a bit worried about how much work ETH still has to do to finish that rebuild. With time and money getting tighter all the time.

Yep. You look at our probable first team in August and only Varane, Shaw, Bruno and Rashford are likely to start out of the existing players Ten Hag inherited.

I guess you could include one of Dalot or Wan-Bissaka in there, but almost everyone universally agrees that we could do with an upgrade there.

And then, as you point out, most of our ‘squad players’ (Fred, McTominay, Maguire, Elanga, Van de Beek) will do well to survive the summer. The only squad player who would appear to be safe (and actually fairly decent) is Lindelof.

While the idea of him being in a One Stop in Droylesden is quite charming I can’t think of a single reason he would be in that area of Manchester. It’s not nearby or on the way to/from anything of interest, especially to a Hale resident who’s only recently moved to Greater Manchester.
Probably after kicking out time at the Silly Country. A great bar.

Plus it’s on the way to my house, which is of undoubted interest.

I think he's dealt with all the tough decisions absolutely ruthlessly. Which was definitely needed.

Ronaldo needed to go, De Gea needed to go and Maguire needed to lose the captaincy. I think he's been delicate where needed at the same time too. There are probably other major decisions he'd like to make but he's obviously careful not to burn any bridges until he knows he can do that.

I think he's dealt with all the tough decisions absolutely ruthlessly. Which was definitely needed.

Ronaldo needed to go, De Gea needed to go and Maguire needed to lose the captaincy. I think he's been delicate where needed at the same time too. There are probably other major decisions he'd like to make but he's obviously careful not to burn any bridges until he knows he can do that.

He's not done anything you wouldn't expect a top manager to do. However our last few managers have been so spineless and allowed a player lead culture to grow it seems more substantial this time.

I absolutely love the bald Dutch bastard and I genuinely feel he could leave a long lasting legacy if he's backed.

I always felt he would cut his cloth accordingly re DDG, but the decision to ship him out could be more transformative than any other signing we make this summer.

I still feel we're a season away from properly challenging but he showed last year he is capable of navigating a tough season and grinding out results when he needs to.

Yep, great points.

Been taken for granted a little, because they have been obvious decisions/actions to make - but anybody who manages people, in or out of football, will tell you how difficult it is to make these kind of changes.

His style is very good - gives people chances, backs them in public giving them every chance to turn things around - but if they don't or cant, he deals with it. He's doing an incredible job at the club under the most difficult of circumstances, and he's not even making a fuss.

He made another great decision at the very beginning: not having RR in a part-time or whatever role. Just not having him.

Ruthless like cold steel. I'm loving it.

These players have had far too much pandering over the last 5 years

I mean, there's probably a dozen teams in the league who would kill for those attacking options.

Even if that’s true (and I would disagree) that still means seven teams in the league who wouldn’t be envious of our attacking options. Which endorses the idea that ETH got us to punch above our weight by finishing with only two teams ahead of us.

The key is not just making decisions/being ruthless and that’s it.
The key is explaining those decisions to board and players, getting their understanding or approval, offering alternatives, making the decisions at the right time, taking responsibility, making compromises, etc.
That’s the main difference between ETH and the previous managers in terms of being ruthless.
Moyes complained and complained about the squad without first proving himself to United players or taking any responsibility.

LvG gave Woodward Neymar and Müller as targets while getting rid of half the squad.
Mourinho acted like a spoilt child who wanted his every wish to be fulfilled without willing to make compromises or take responsibility.
Ole was mostly happy/comfortable making too many compromises and avoided making tough decisions in order to keep everyone happy.
ETH however got rid of Ronaldo and dropped Maguire after giving them chances to prove themselves. He didn’t get a quality forward so accepted WW as short term solution instead of openly complaining no end. He didn’t see an easy or realistic solution for a gk when he arrived so played DdG for a season. Now he got the minimum target top 4 and as a bonus even won a trophy. Therefore he is in a great situation currently to make even more decisions and demand even more.

The right balance and timing between patience and ruthlessness is a key skill for a successful manager and so far ETH seems to have it.

so exciting to see him get his preferred midfield and keeper choices

the keeper in particular is such a massive upgrade and enables is to play his more preferred style

Even if that’s true (and I would disagree) that still means seven teams in the league who wouldn’t be envious of our attacking options. Which endorses the idea that ETH got us to punch above our weight by finishing with only two teams ahead of us.

Now, now. He merely said a dozen clubs would kill for our attacking options.You must add to that the two teams that would only dismember for our attacking options, the three clubs that would commit grand larceny and the one club that would want them, but who would not go farther than bandying about Croydonese ‘friendly’ cusswords and spreading uncomfortable vibes.

He made another great decision at the very beginning: not having RR in a part-time or whatever role. Just not having him.

axes alway need grinding

I would love Ralf here sorting out our long term scouting and recruitment. ETH has done pretty much everything he recommended.

axes alway need grinding

I would love Ralf here sorting out our long term scouting and recruitment. ETH has done pretty much everything he recommended.
Not at all. The only thing RR “recommended” was buying new players and getting rid of existing players. That’s what all clubs do regularly. Arsenal did it. Chelsea who only 2 seasons ago won the CL have an almost new team now.
RR saw McT as future captain and rated DdG and Elanga. RR has a different play style to ETH. In terms of communication and taking responsibility RR is 0 on a scale of 1-10 and ETH is very high on the same scale.
I am extremely happy RR has nothing to do with United.

Not at all. The only thing RR “recommended” was buying new players and getting rid of existing players. That’s what all clubs do regularly. Arsenal did it. Chelsea who only 2 seasons ago won the CL have an almost new team now.
RR saw McT as future captain and rated DdG and Elanga. RR has a different play style to ETH. In terms of communication and taking responsibility RR is 0 on a scale of 1-10 and ETH is very high on the same scale.
I am extremely happy RR has nothing to do with United.

I'm not going to engage further since that is in the past. The toxic environment he inherited with no backing from the club - these differences of opinion about RR went on for hundreds of pages in its own thread and this is an ETH thread whom I'm very happy with.

That said i agree with the other poster who said " RR would have just rocked the boat" but more paraphrase it by saying when ETH came in he would want to fight his own battles.

Don't know how you can't love this guy hes perfect, can clearly see the team is coming together and he dealt with the Ronaldo, Maguire and De gea minefields ruthlessly while appearing tactful.

Just seen the Leeds game as well, 4-3-3 right? Oh hell yeah. Bruno was great towards the end of the season in a deeper role as will Eriksen and Mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.