Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading stuff like this, but Ten Hag has literally said that there is no guarantee of a starting place - which clearly shows that we are going to sign a goalkeeper. I imagine we know that we will get very little for him if we sell so we have offered a much reduced wage packet and told him that he may not be number 1 next year - that's clearly why he hasn't signed yet isn't it?

I don't know, I think keeping De Gea is a problem regardless. We need to move on from this type of football we play with him in goal, even our backup keeper needs to be good on the ball.

when Mourinho won the treble europa league, league cup and community shield and the season he came 2nds. Lvg winning the fa cup which is a greater achievement than the league cup and put pressure on chelsea for the title. Ole came in 2nd and went to the europa league final. I may be missing other accomplishment of these managers. But, I wouldn't say 3rd with a league cup and fa cup final are significantly better than these other season. Only Ole season that it was better, but some could argue otherwise.

3rd with League cup beats Mou coming 6th with League and UEL, and beats LVG's 5th and FA cup. It also beats Ole's 2nd, which at the time looked like we were building up to something special but all fell apart the next season, hopefully we build on this one instead.

But still not a better season than Mouriho best season, LVG best season and some may even argue Ole best season. However, this is his first, hopefully next season he does better.

Jose’s one I’d probably slightly agree with you for season 16/17 but not LVG & Ole’s.

LVG’s was a 5th place finish and FA Cup victory.

Ole’s was 2nd with no trophies.

Neither of those two are better seasons than ETH’s debut season.

I keep reading stuff like this, but Ten Hag has literally said that there is no guarantee of a starting place - which clearly shows that we are going to sign a goalkeeper. I imagine we know that we will get very little for him if we sell so we have offered a much reduced wage packet and told him that he may not be number 1 next year - that's clearly why he hasn't signed yet isn't it?
We hope so.

When we actually sign a goalkeeper, and said goalkeeper starts the season as number one, I'll make my peace with De Gea staying. There's still a very real possibility we end up without because we don't have the funds to fix so many positions in one summer.

The price has everything to do with whether or not a player was ‘worth it’.
Your are missing the point again. You backed Ole over the signing of Dan James for £15 million 4 years ago, so maybe even £20 million in today's terms. And yet you are not prepared to give the current manager backing over signing Chelsea's 2 x player of the year and England international because YOU think he's shit. Why the double standards?

Your are missing the point again. You backed Ole over the signing of Dan James for £15 million 4 years ago, so maybe even £20 million in today's terms. And yet you are not prepared to give the current manager backing over signing Chelsea's 2 x player of the year and England international because YOU think he's shit. Why the double standards?
Because he's assuming we're signing him for 70 mill as he seems to believe everything the papers say....

I reckon it will be closer to 40.

I would say in terms of results this season has been about as good as we could have expected at the start of it. Top 4 and a trophy. Even the second cup run was a nice bonus, unlucky today.

Correct. I will back any manager who thinks they can get a tune out of a £20m player and I will ask questions about a manager who says he needs a £70m backup option to get a tune out of a squad option.

Didn't expect a win here so this doesn't change my view that this was a good season. At the start of the season I would have been happy with a top 4 finish and signs of moving in the right direction in terms of positive football and I've gotten both of those so I'm satisfied.

Now the onus shifts to the people above him to get some reinforcements in. I do think transfers should be taken out of his hands, though that is my stance for any manager and not unique to ETH.

But still not a better season than Mouriho best season, LVG best season and some may even argue Ole best season. However, this is his first, hopefully next season he does better.
Interesting how the metrics change for each comparison. Reeks of changing the goalposts to fit the narrative.

Come on now, this is absurd. I know Pep takes easier jobs with massive resources, but calling ETH the better manager is a massive stretch.

I did not say that EtH is the better manager, I said that Pep is not better. I think EtH is in the same bracket.

I don’t think he’s wrong to be fair
Honestly, we did nothing in that game.

Any genuine attempts we had? Any saves their keeper made? Besides the last minute save. We scored a penalty. Not dubious penalty but you know what I mean.
Let's not exaggerate our levels. This is one mistake we tend to do as United fans.
ETH did setup in a way to nullify City first then do other things later. We did nullify City but we did nothing of substance of our own.
I believe we have 3 shots on target whole game. 1 penalty, 2 are they the headers in extra time? Can't remember any chance we had.

And what if it’s not closer to £40m and closer to £60m?
Then when it's done and it is closer to 60m you can quote me and we'll have this conversation then.... Till then it's just an assumption based on reports from media outlets that have constantly exaggerated numbers when it comes to our deals.

Remember when we signed Martial for 70 mill ? Casemiro for 100 ? Sancho was once 120 ? or maybe when we were interested in Varane for 70 mill ?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-real-madrid-varane-23584415

Any genuine attempts we had? Any saves their keeper made? Besides the last minute save. We scored a penalty. Not dubious penalty but you know what I mean. Let's not exaggerate our levels. This is one mistake we tend to do as United fans.
ETH did setup in a way to nullify City first then do other things later. We did nullify City but we did nothing of substance of our own.
I believe we have 3 shots on target whole game. 1 penalty, 2 are they the headers in extra time? Can't remember any chance we had.
It's interesting that the end of the pitch we didn't do much on is the end where we had 2 injuries and already didn't have great options up there.

Any genuine attempts we had? Any saves their keeper made? Besides the last minute save. We scored a penalty. Not dubious penalty but you know what I mean.
Let's not exaggerate our levels. This is one mistake we tend to do as United fans.
Neither did City. It’s not like they hammered us, they just kept the ball better. De Gea didn’t make a save that I can remember r

Pep isn't a better manager than ETH? Now theres stupid and then theres stupid. Of course he bleeding well is. He's arguably top 5 coaches of all time.

It's not a slant against ETH who has done well. Pep is in a league of his own though. Some people consider him to be better than Fergie mate so to say ETH is his equal is foolish.
Pep turbo-boosts already successful set-ups. He's never done anything at the scale of SAF at Aberdeen or re-establishing a club like SAF at United (the equivalent would be Pep and Cruyff's impacts on Barca combined) or even, on a smaller scale, Bielsa rapidly turning a bunch of championship cloggers and raw talents into an intense technically assured side able to go blow for blow with the likes of City at their best, even if for a short-time. He's very good, but with the legitimate and 'grey' resources at his disposal, he should have been stacking up Madrid numbers for CLs over the last decade.

Tactically horrendous today with those constant long balls. But we've relied on stuff like that all season, so what was ever going to change today against City in a final? We need a more sustainable way of playing football, I said the same under Ole and people didn't listen until it was catching up in terms of results. You just can't play the way we do and win major trophies.

To be fair we also need to spend it better than the Antony outlay. Then the impact that then had on the Jan window…we don’t have unlimited funds and we sure ain’t clever with it..

Well, you're right. We have to spend our money more wisely. Unfortunately it seems that our club doesn't know how to negotiate a transfer fee. At least have a back up player in case you want to step out of the deal. Part of the problem is our scouting department is absolutely useless and our youth academy isn't developing players fast enough.

Not just financially. We have to back him with proper scouting and a team that can go and negotiate transfers in an efficient and cost-effective manner.

I concur. The club's whole setup needs to be improved.

Last edited:
Jose’s one I’d probably slightly agree with you for season 16/17 but not LVG & Ole’s.

LVG’s was a 5th place finish and FA Cup victory.

Ole’s was 2nd with no trophies.

Neither of those two are better seasons than ETH’s debut season.

Opinions differ, I rank winning the fa cup highly. That is why I edge out lvg for that one, some don't. Moreover, I am just arguing for those who believe Ole 2nd with europa league final is more significant. Europa league final is a good accomplishment that goes undervalued. I am not a fan of Ole, but I wouldn't say that this season was significantly better than that one

He's done superb with the many limitations we have. He's changed the culture of the club since the mess of last season, and it's just been a stretch too far to win every trophy other than the league with the players he has. You might even say one of the criticisms could be not prioritising some competitions given the limited squad (which in turn led to a dip in form from injuries/burn out in the second part of our season), but he is resetting the culture to wanting to win every game (hopefully addressing the away form next season too). It's quite amazing we are even in the position we are with 0.5 of a minimum level required striker (Martial) and just one prime attacker (Rashford) - we don't capitalise on the increased chances we have created this season, I think our attack lost us the cup today (in addition to the soft goals) for we were set up tactically well and limited City overall.

Neither did City. It’s not like they hammered us, they just kept the ball better. De Gea didn’t make a save that I can remember r
He saved one with his feet, from Haaland I think it was, he also claimed a cross!

Correct. I will back any manager who thinks they can get a tune out of a £20m player and I will ask questions about a manager who says he needs a £70m backup option to get a tune out of a squad option.
Your certainty that you are correct about Mount and Ten Hag (for some reason) is entirely wrong is staggering. Do not think he might have ideas about how he can utilise him as part of the team - after all a large part of management is managing a team to become more than the sum of its parts?

And I'm just confused about this part:

I will ask questions about a manager who says he needs a £70m backup option to get a tune out of a squad option.

What does 'backup option to get a tune out of a squad option' even mean? And why do you assume that Mount will be a backup option?

He saved one with his feet, from Haaland I think it was, he also claimed a cross!
Yeah a shot from a wide angle and a cross? :lol: Ortega had to scramble with that double header at the end too :lol:

Saying all the right things at least, he doesn't put a foot wrong there generally

Yeah a shot from a wide angle and a cross? :lol: Ortega had to scramble with that double header at the end too :lol:
Wasn't that wide an angle, but DDG claiming cross is almost as rare as hens teeth

Wasn't that wide an angle, but DDG claiming cross is almost as rare as hens teeth
Fair, but it's a half chance at best. I'd say on par with Garnacho's shot later?

And I agree about the cross claiming, but it's not a sign of City dominating or anything.

Well I don't disagree in some ways, but we don't have huge amounts of money to spend and you are essentially advocating signing 2 new keepers.

I wouldn't be against making Kovar the backup keeper and letting him play all of the cup games like Liverpool and City do with their keepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.