Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not think it’s too early to even be considering that though? Seems crazy to give up on him given how good he has been in the past.

He’s like 2.5 years younger than Rashford (which seems odd when I say that), and Rashford has had some pretty awful spells.
Yeah I wouldn't consider it. Really no upside given how little we would get for him.

Obviously, it's a system City and Arsenal have previously used within the PL.

Whether it works for us is the question.
They have different systems, they seem to have adapted to the PL and gone for something more functional when necessary. We’ve seen that with players like Grealish joining City who aren’t system players. We look like we’re going system or nothing

He needs a new goalkeeper, striker and a couple of midfielders to take us to the next level.

I dont know if any manager in the world would have done much better with the resources he's had. This team last year was a special kind of shit. Getting outran by Everton under Lampard. feck. I thought that was as low as it could get. He's done a magnificant job.

Unfortunately for Erik and anyone else who could've taken the hotseat, until City are punished for clear wrongdoings behind the scenes which enable them to be as good as they are, he probably won't ever be able to be as good as he can be.

Another big window and I hope he can make some further changes to the squad to enable us to move away from this underdog mentality and slightly more progressive.

Today he was able to set us up to ensure we walked away respectably but ultimately City knew that game was won long before the final whistle. Having that many good defenders whilst we take off one of ours for a midfielder allowed them to manage another routine win.

It must be hard to try win big games when two of your strongest options include McTominay and Weghorst.

A good season all things considered, but needs a lot more work and a lot more backing.

Incredible we just lost narrowly to City given it was 80% the team that he inherited

Didn't think he did anything wrong with what we had. The game was tight and we were toothless in attacking which has been normal for us. We will see if he can fix that next season.

I just wish he used real wingers on the right more whenever Anthony was not available.

Thought he did brilliantly today. Can't ask for more out of this team at the moment. We were huge underdogs and we gave City a game, and probably deserved at least extra time.

Probably should've subbed Sancho and Eriksen sooner, but hindsight etc.

People said the same things about Sancho and Pogba mate, so I’ll wait for the outcome at this point
You're not waiting all that much. Waffling on about a hypothetical player arrival and how it'll cost jobs. Seems preemptive more than patiently waiting to deliver an analysis. Not really relevant to ETH's wider performance currently, i.e. things that have actually happened.

Unfortunately for Erik and anyone else who could've taken the hotseat, until City are punished for clear wrongdoings behind the scenes which enable them to be as good as they are, he probably won't ever be able to be as good as he can be.

Another big window and I hope he can make some further changes to the squad to enable us to move away from this underdog mentality and slightly more progressive.
City have nothing to do with us spending 95m on Antony. He has been backed and will again be backed this summer, but we have to be smarter with our money.

He still won’t take on a man and needs others to create the space for him, and will cut back when possible
You're reaching even for your lofty standards of reaching. They have very little in common as players, but to see that you'll have to take my word for the fact that is more to football in 2023 than CAM, CDM, LW. Mount when used correctly is a mezzala, modern 8 combo with a very high work rate. How on God's green earth do you associate that with Jadon Sancho?

ETH really seems to enforce first time passes, to the point where I get annoyed because in many situations calming the ball first would be much better.

Anyway, great first season, fully behind the man!

You're not waiting all that much. Waffling on about a hypothetical player arrival and how it'll cost jobs. Seems preemptive more than patiently waiting to deliver an analysis. Not really relevant to ETH's wider performance currently, i.e. things that have actually happened.
Sancho and Maguire cost Ole his job, Pogba and Lukaku cost Mourinho his job, Martial and Depay cost Van Gaal his job, it’s not a stretch to say Antony and Mount will cost Ten Hag his job

And I totally fecking agree but mount isn’t the answer for me. caceido and others look way better options for the outlay
You’ve written off one player by naming another completely different type of player

City have nothing to do with us spending 95m on Antony. He has been backed and will again be backed this summer, but we have to be smarter with our money.
Objectively speaking you do not have anywhere near the requisite volume of data to pronounce Antony a bad purchase. Especially for someone that was preaching patience with Maguire and the unqualified manager that decided to buy him.

Sancho and Maguire cost Ole his job, Pogba and Lukaku cost Mourinho his job, Martial and Depay cost Van Gaal his job, it’s not a stretch to say Antony and Mount will cost Ten Hag his job
What planet do you live on? Those managers lost their jobs because they failed. It's that simple.

You're reaching even for your lofty standards of reaching. They have very little in common as players, but to see that you'll have to take my word for the fact that is more to football in 2023 than CAM, CDM, LW. Mount when used correctly is a mezzala, modern 8 combo with a very high work rate. How on God's green earth do you associate that with Jadon Sancho?
In the sense that he doesn’t offer anything outside of what he’s good at. Which is only ever true in a situation where the team are playing well within a system. There’s a bunch of these players that are terrible once you ask them to step outside the boundaries of a system that tell them exactly when to do and when.

I think he has done as good as he could with the squad he had available to him , but needs to be backed big time in the summer if we are going to close the gap which is very wide right now.
Yeah, I trust in ETH but with the sales/not sales with the club not sure he will be back fully or not will be an issue later

Hasn't fixed the attack which has been our pervading issue post SAF, so jury is still out.

That being said, we hit the minimum targets for the season so mission accomplished.

And that’s the concern, this Ten Hag system is a fantasy at this point, will it even work in the PL? Whenever he’s tried it we’ve got hammered
It worked for Klopp's Liverpool. You had Salah, Henderson, Firmino, Wijnaldum, and Mane suffocating teams back, and if they got through that you had Fabinho, Robertson and Trent midfield options to stop the play. And then excellent one v one defenders to stop anything long.

Swap those names in order for Antony, Bruno, new striker, Mount, Dalot and Rashford as the front press, then Casemiro, Dalot and Shaw helping build play and then defence covering. Which is why I suspect Kim Min Jae is linked, his one v one defending.

The system hasn't worked this year because there are players who don't fit anyway anyhow into it. And he's had to adjust for the most part with Eriksen especially playing deeper.

Mount does feel underwhelming, I totally agree. But if he does what Van De Beek did for EtH's Ajax, I can see the logic.

In the sense that he doesn’t offer anything outside of what he’s good at. Which is only ever true in a situation where the team are playing well within a system. There’s a bunch of these players that are terrible once you ask them to step outside the boundaries of a system that tell them exactly when to do and when.
If I had to pick one post to encapsulate a man with no argument to make, I'd be hard pressed to find one better than this one. Congrats!

Hope he makes the right choices in regards to who to get rid of in the summer. He's doen a very good job, but crucial the signings are in the right areas.

It's officially the end now. He's done better than I expected, especially considering the shite he had to work and deal with, both on and off the pitch. A poor quality squad, and that's before Ronaldo's tantrums and all the other shit. Now buy smart.

He needs a new goalkeeper, striker and a couple of midfielders to take us to the next level.

My opinion only, but I think you also need a right back who can attack and stretch play. I think AWB gets away with one a bit because it’s difficult to criticise a defender who does his primary job well. It’s no coincidence that Antony cuts inside so much when in good positions, I think he’d do it a bit less with a genuine overlapping fullback supporting him.

Edit- come to think of it I’m not actually sure Antony *would* stop cutting in in the scenario I’ve described!

Objectively speaking you do not have anywhere near the requisite volume of data to pronounce Antony a bad purchase. Especially for someone that was preaching patience with Maguire and the unqualified manager that decided to buy him.
Never wanted Maguire, would have rather kept Smalling back then. The point is that Antony may become a 95m player in the future, but we definitely overpaid for him right now, and it restricts our spending that could've gone to a better CF in January. In order to compete with oil cheats like City, we not only have to spend, we have to spend much smarter. What city does has nothing to do with our mistakes.

7.5/10 debut season for me.

He's the best tactician not named Guardiola in the league in my eyes and his flexibility has been a welcome surprise.

He's done terrific in spite of the structural issues in the squad he's had to deal with.

If the club back him properly this summer I feel we'll be in our best position to truly challenge for top honors that we have since Fergie.

No, lack of performance cost his job and lack of performance has more complexity than you are affording it. You're making a simplistic analysis that doesn't hold to basic logic. We've still got Maguire and Sancho and ETH enabled a performance that was sufficient to keep his job and achieve a respectable season with said players in his squad, winning a trophy in the process. So it can already be seen you're not making a strong point with a cursory look at the chain of events.

And why's that? Because keeping a job is about more than individual signings. It's the sum of all its parts. Overall transfers, coaching, man management, getting results. Transfers are absolutely crucial but you cannot tally everything up to one particular decision, it's about getting enough right to build a team. You've just gone way too far down this Mount rabbit hole (which would be more relevant in that thread) and now you're so desperate to make big statements you can't really see the woods for the trees on it.

Ole cost Ole his job, Mourinh cost Mourinho his job, and Van Gaal cost Van Gaal his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.