Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me best thing about this season is how team responded to losses and performed when Liverpool threatened our top 4 position. We'd capitulate last season but showed character this time. We still need to improve a lot but we're far better than where I saw us after terrible start to this season.
But still not a better season than Mouriho best season, LVG best season and some may even argue Ole best season. However, this is his first, hopefully next season he does better.
LVG only managed 4th place with 70 points while we had no European games to distract us that season. This season has easily been better than that one.

Overall a good season and we pushed them at least in that last 20.

Unfortunately you just have to admit they have a better manager and better team.

We won't get close to City again next year. The gap is still too wide. We need to get top 3 again and push for 80pts minimum.

Not a better manager. EtH would kill it with the same set of players as City.

We are going to be great if he get the necessary backing.

what metrics are you measuring this on?
Important Trophies won and position in the table and important cup competition as in finals of the europa league may be seen as a bigger accomplishment than carabao trophy (but that is an argument I am indifferent to).

LVG only managed 4th place with 70 points while we had no European games to distract us that season. This season has easily been better than that one.

Didn't lvg win the fa cup?

But still not a better season than Mouriho best season, LVG best season and some may even argue Ole best season. However, this is his first, hopefully next season he does better.
3rd, fa cup final, league Cup win is not better than others? Nobody else even managed top 4 and a cup win FFS :wenger:

This man has done a very good job winning a title, reaching a final of the FA cup and finishing 3rd in the league. Painful, as a united fan, to be happy with this outcome of the season, but looking at our squad and its depth, this is a great result. In no way did i expect him to do more to be honest. His main striker is martial! His goalkeeper is de gea who has declined massively in the last couple of years. The squad depth is terrible. Today, city had alvarez, mahrez, ederson, ake, laporte and foden on the bench. ETH had garnacho. This speaks volumes.

the best thing that ETH brought to the team is decline and accountability. Ronaldo kept complaining about everything, he was shown the door. Maguire kept showing up badly, he was dropped. He had to make massive decisions and he made them.

This transfer window is very important for us. Need to strengthen the squad depth and fill in the gaps in the starting 11. I hope we finalise the sale asap to start early in the summer.

That's better than anything Ole has done here. More points than Ole's two seasons and an actual trophy, something Ole couldn't even achieve.

Can't fault him too much today, we had a lot of injuries and a lot of crap players. Despite that we were very competitive. If he didn't have a goalkeeper who watches the ball trickle into his own net, we might have got a result today.

He needs to be ruthless in clearing the team of the shite though in the summer. De Gea being gifted a new contract is a major red flag.

He needs a new goalkeeper, striker and a couple of midfielders to take us to the next level.
Midfield is our main problem. It's where most of the game is played at. We have goalkeeping issues, yes but those issue can be solved by signing a goalkeeper like that 2nd goalkeeper for City.
Main problem is we have very limited midfielders. Only Casemiro is a competent midfielder in there. And true to it, he's backed it up with 19 trophies won during his career, our other midfielders are just very overated pseudo midfielders, who have won nothing big, never competed in big games frequently and even come out winners but we overate them while they do nothing substantial in winning big titles, + they have very weird attributes as midfielders.

I have always said, we need like 2 players to perform 1 players job.
Now it seems we need 4 genuine players in the summer.
GK
Striker
2 CM

Pep isn't a better manager than ETH? Now theres stupid and then theres stupid. Of course he bleeding well is. He's arguably top 5 coaches of all time.

It's not a slant against ETH who has done well. Pep is in a league of his own though. Some people consider him to be better than Fergie mate so to say ETH is his equal is foolish.

He has been a 9/10 or even 9.5/10. A trophy, 3ed in the league and an FA cup final in a season full of issues. Dealt perfectly with the Ronaldo fiasco, took care of Maguire without making a big deal plus major injuries to key players like Martinez and essentially not having a fit striker for most of the season. We had the second worst injury crisis in the league apparently.

3 or 4 key players in next season and I will not be surprised if we make more then 85 points.

Important Trophies won and position in the table and important cup competition as in finals of the europa league may be seen as a bigger accomplishment than carabao trophy (but that is an argument I am indifferent to).

Didn't lvg won the fa cup?
Were you the guy who was the massive Pochetino fan? What metrics do you use to measure his success?

Why are people going on about giving him backing, hes just spent £250m last summer, and lets not forget our away form vs ''the top 6'' this season.

7.5/10 debut season for me.

He's the best tactician not named Guardiola in the league in my eyes and his flexibility has been a welcome surprise.

He's done terrific in spite of the structural issues in the squad he's had to deal with.

If the club back him properly this summer I feel we'll be in our best position to truly challenge for top honors that we have since Fergie.

Agree but surely Allardyce is also better. I mean no-one, not even Guardiola, Klopp or Arteta know football better. Of course technically he's not a Premier League manager anymore.

Pep isn't a better manager than ETH? Now theres stupid and then theres stupid. Of course he bleeding well is. He's arguably top 5 coaches of all time.

It's not a slant against ETH who has done well. Pep is in a league of his own though. Some people consider him to be better than Fergie mate so to say ETH is his equal is foolish.
:lol:

Which season explicitly of each are you referring to? Ole's second place? Mou's second place? LVG's fourth place? It's better than all of those really, especially given where we started.

De Gea being gifted a new contract is a major red flag.
I keep reading stuff like this, but Ten Hag has literally said that there is no guarantee of a starting place - which clearly shows that we are going to sign a goalkeeper. I imagine we know that we will get very little for him if we sell so we have offered a much reduced wage packet and told him that he may not be number 1 next year - that's clearly why he hasn't signed yet isn't it?

Ten Hag is a miracle worker. With this set of players there is nothing he could have done better. A 9/10 season, with his only blemish being too much of a De Gea fanboy.

He absolutely NEEDS to be backed this summer.

Overall a good season, we’d all have taken this last summer. Hard to take because City are going to win the treble but they deserve it if they do. Let’s hope for a strong summer and a flurry of signings

Why are people going on about giving him backing, hes just spent £250m last summer, and lets not forget our away form vs ''the top 6'' this season.

What's the alternative then? Let him have another go with the same exact squad and then sack him?

Laughing at me or his comment?

Surely you don't rate ETH as good as Pep? I know we are meant to be bias but Jesus wept.
Everything. The whole state of this place. You're all equally as entertaining at this moment.

Everything. The whole state of this place. You're all equally as entertaining at this moment.

I think ETH has achieved his goals. 3rd and a cup we'd have all taken before season started.

City are a million miles ahead of us sadly. Can't see it changing for a while either.

Which season explicitly of each are you referring to? Ole's second place? Mou's second place? LVG's fourth place? It's better than all of those really, especially given where we started.

when Mourinho won the treble europa league, league cup and community shield and the season he came 2nds. Lvg winning the fa cup which is a greater achievement than the league cup and put pressure on chelsea for the title. Ole came in 2nd and went to the europa league final. I may be missing other accomplishment of these managers. But, I wouldn't say 3rd with a league cup and fa cup final are significantly better than these other season. Only Ole season that it was better, but some could argue otherwise.

Good to give the lads confidence, but that is an overstatement

Come on now, this is absurd. I know Pep takes easier jobs with massive resources, but calling ETH the better manager is a massive stretch.

Never wanted Maguire, would have rather kept Smalling back then. The point is that Antony may become a 95m player in the future, but we definitely overpaid for him right now, and it restricts our spending that could've gone to a better CF in January. In order to compete with oil cheats like City, we not only have to spend, we have to spend much smarter. What city does has nothing to do with our mistakes.
None of this is wrong, but it's way too early to make this call on Antony. There was hope right away that he would be able to hit the ground running with such a steep climb in level of competition, but that hasn't been the case. No guarantee he will adjust of course, but the ability is absolutely there. The timing had something to do with the price too.

It would have been a gamble at 20 million less than the eventual price too mind you, and if it turns out that he gambled and lost, he'll deserve criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.