Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, exactly - no manager, however rigid his principles would want his keeper to do what De Gea attempted on Thursday night.

Yeah and even the complaints about playing out from the back when we haven't got the players for it.

De Gea can't launch it everytime. He has to as some point pass the ball.

I think some of the ETH praise has gone too far(calling him a genius etc) but no manager can win games when you've got bizzare own goals and goalkeepers chucking in goals all over the place.

That's way beyond tactics.

It’s disappointing that he persists with the same tactics or similar tactics with players that cannot play to that system. It’s cost us some pretty decent hammerings this season that’s put us in the record books for the wrong reasons.

It's a great way of figuring out which players are up to it though. Catering to individual needs is a short term fix. If Ten Hag is coming in here with a 5 year plan, as every successful manager does, then year 1 is squad assessment and bedding in your style of play, and it's both smart and logical to accept that this will come with setbacks

He has to make top 4. If he doesn’t then this season will be a massive failure after spending £250 million last summer.

I can’t imagine that he will be afforded much leeway next season with new owners in place if we are consistently getting hammered away from home.

Another hammering today and a lot of the goodwill he’s built up with fans and pundits could be lost.

It’s disappointing that he persists with the same tactics or similar tactics with players that cannot play to that system. It’s cost us some pretty decent hammerings this season that’s put us in the record books for the wrong reasons.

Wouldn't you rather have us stick by his beliefs than compromise them and have us never move forward? Kind of like what happened to us under Ole, we just never moved past counter attacking football.

Liverpool in Klopps first season (half a season) were incredibly inconsistent but he remained true to himself and had everyone play to his style. And, even now, they play the same way even though they're having a poor season.

He has to make top 4. If he doesn’t then this season will be a massive failure after spending £250 million last summer.

I can’t imagine that he will be afforded much leeway next season with new owners in place if we are consistently getting hammered away from home.

Another hammering today and a lot of the goodwill he’s built up with fans and pundits could be lost.
I’m of the opinion that expecting anything more than sixth place this season is unrealistic. Chelsea spent more than 600 million. Their squad is better than ours, especially the bench.

A bad result today won’t have any repercussions, unless the team puts in an unacceptable effort. Our favored center backs are injured which is a huge loss.

I want to see us go for it, that is my only expectation. I’m sure Hag is doing everything he can to motivate the players.

I’m of the opinion that expecting anything more than sixth place this season is unrealistic. Chelsea spent more than 600 million. Their squad is better than ours, especially the bench.

A bad result today won’t have any repercussions, unless the team puts in an unacceptable effort. Our favored center backs are injured which is a huge loss.

I want to see us go for it, that is my only expectation. I’m sure Hag is doing everything he can to motivate the players.

I'm guessing Brighton will have a few injuries as well. Along with a lesser squad and not spending £100's millions each summer.

I'm all for taking injuries into consideration but we're still putting a collection of players on the pitch most teams in the league would like.

I like the look of that team I must admit.
Caciedo would be a huge signing.
He’s the one I think we should break the bank for, he’s another united fan which we missed out on, time now to solve that mistake. He’ll be a massive problem for us today with his energy.

He’s shown a lot of naivety tactically, first season so he rightfully should get forgiveness. But it has to improve. I’m sure he’s learning lessons from all these frankly shameful performances.

He often doesn’t appear to be learning from them… in match, tactically, he seems completely incapable of stopping a hammering and simply steadying the ship.

But as you / others have said, it might just be that he doesn’t have the players.

I’m not sure though. I really think next season will either make him or break him as a proper Utd manager.

Yeah and even the complaints about playing out from the back when we haven't got the players for it.

De Gea can't launch it everytime. He has to as some point pass the ball.

I think some of the ETH praise has gone too far(calling him a genius etc) but no manager can win games when you've got bizzare own goals and goalkeepers chucking in goals all over the place.

That's way beyond tactics.
Isn't he up for the golden glove award?

He often doesn’t appear to be learning from them… in match, tactically, he seems completely incapable of stopping a hammering and simply steadying the ship.

But as you / others have said, it might just be that he doesn’t have the players.

There isn't a tactical solution to mentally weak players who shut down at the first sign of adversity. The tactical set up in the first half vs. Liverpool was working pretty well, the players just gave up a few unlucky goals and a bunch of them stopped trying.

Hasn't EtH said there's been too many games to really train what he wants them to do thru the season? Hard to do everything he wants when games every 3 days. I'll be curious to see after a summer of training and moving players in and out (hopefully) where we stand.

I generally get annoyed when teams are as spread out as we are today, by which I mean the front 3 is pretty high but the defensive line is deep, so Brighton are moving it quite well to the fullbacks, but I guess on the whole it worked okay in the first half. We were probably a tad closer to scoring via Bruno than anything Brighton has done.

How do Brighton look so well coached and completely in sync with each other, and we look like 11 individuals playing off the cuff once again? Everything that Erik was drilling into the team, high pressing, keeping possession, controlling games etc seems to have just completely disappeared. It’s very disheartening.

I'm not convinced our players are the most tactically flexible, so I'll cut him some slack there. He's working with what he's got.

How do Brighton look so well coached and completely in sync with each other, and we look like 11 individuals playing off the cuff once again? Everything that Erik was drilling into the team, high pressing, keeping possession, controlling games etc seems to have just completely disappeared. It’s very disheartening.
Easier to look more cohesive when you've played 20 games fewer over a season and have full weeks to prepare for games vs having a Thursday away game.

Also, we have created better and more chances than them.

Easier to look more cohesive when you've played 20 games fewer over a season and have full weeks to prepare for games vs having a Thursday away game.
Don’t come here with sane logic. It doesn’t fit their anti EtH agenda.

We’ve also had the better chances to score, but apparently that is of no importance.

1) They're not exhausted from playing way more games.

2) While their squad is not as good in terms of quality, it's better in terms of stylistic cohesion. It will take time for us to fix that.

Our defense is decimated. I’d argue we don’t have any positions in the back four filled by our best player in that spot. It significantly impacts our ability to play out from the back.

Watching the Brighton game, a lot is due to lack of match fitness and tiredness due to either suspensions, return from injury or too many games played.

That’s why some players have poor first touch, bad or slow decision making, uncoordinated pressing and defending

Watching the players walk out onto the pitch in the Seville told us a lot about the mentality in the current crop of players.

Wouldn't you rather have us stick by his beliefs than compromise them and have us never move forward? Kind of like what happened to us under Ole, we just never moved past counter attacking football.

Liverpool in Klopps first season (half a season) were incredibly inconsistent but he remained true to himself and had everyone play to his style. And, even now, they play the same way even though they're having a poor season.
I’d rather us win mate. If he knows he hasn’t got a few players that can play the way he wants them to, play another way to get the best of out them, make them look good, increase their value, sell them in the summer and everyone’s happy.

Theres nothing to be gained by getting smashed by anyone.

It's a great way of figuring out which players are up to it though. Catering to individual needs is a short term fix. If Ten Hag is coming in here with a 5 year plan, as every successful manager does, then year 1 is squad assessment and bedding in your style of play, and it's both smart and logical to accept that this will come with setbacks
He knows this from training though, and yes it’s a short term fix but it’s what’s best for everyone until we can clear out in the summer. We won’t get anything for Maguire at the moment but we would if Ten Hag just played a system that made him look like he could defence every now and again.

• Hope he keeps Lindelof and gets rid of Maguire
  • Hope he focuses on adding CMs who contribute to the buildip
  • Hope he has decided that DDG has to be replaced

You can’t change your squad instantly. It will take a couple of summers of ETh and the club getting thighs right to make us a quality possession team and mould the squad accordingly

You can’t change your squad instantly. It will take a couple of summers of ETh and the club getting thighs right to make us a quality possession team and mould the squad accordingly
Yeah I’m aware of that and I think he will eventually but a failure to adapt is what gets managers sacked ultimately, like if we can’t get our main Ten Hag target’s in the summer and we have to settle for second or third choice and they’re not quite what Ten Hag wants but they’re available, he’ll need to adapt to their game not force them to play a style they can’t.

I’d rather us win mate. If he knows he hasn’t got a few players that can play the way he wants them to, play another way to get the best of out them, make them look good, increase their value, sell them in the summer and everyone’s happy.

Theres nothing to be gained by getting smashed by anyone.
What, like our previous managers managed to do with the players in question? You do realise he has won more matches than any of our other managers in his first 50 games?

You're another one who came down on anyone that criticised Ole like a ton of bricks, and yet here you are with your criticisms of ETH in his first season when he's outperforming all of his predecessors :rolleyes:

Needs to be given credit for spotting that Shaw is a good option at CB when in need. However, wish he had the balls to play him there over Maguire last week.

What, like our previous managers managed to do with the players in question? You do realise he has won more matches than any of our other managers in his first 50 games?

You're another one who came down on anyone that criticised Ole like a ton of bricks, and yet here you are with your criticisms of ETH in his first season when he's outperforming all of his predecessors :rolleyes:
Calm yourself down lad and stop talking in extremes. If you think asking Maguire to play in a system for one game that doesn’t work for him or the team is the right thing to do instead of tweaking the tactics to win the game then I’ve got nothing else to say to you.

Like our entire club, he’s limping over the line to the end of the season. I feel like he’s got every inch out of this squad and now we are seeing how that’s taken its toll. We’ll get fourth and we have a cup so that’s still a fantastic first season. Hope he gets the support he needs in the summer because there is still a major rebuild to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.