Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's said himself Bruno on the right hasn't worked in the past so not sure why he does it in such a tight game away from home.

Well, ETH been great overall.

Erik has to take some blame today. The subs and tactics in second half where simply wrong.

We lost complete control of the game at the weekend by taking off our centre forward. Similar thing happened tonight. Yes, Rashford can play down the middle. However, its a very different challenge playing against City at home than away at Palace. City don't like to go physical at the back. Palace had no issues. Weghorst wasn't great but he was a point to play off, same as Martial last weekend. Lesson not learned. Points dropped.

I love Erik Ten Hag but the changes tonight made us worse, not better.

Since the team wasn't playing well, but we were ahead, he should have switched to defense in the second half. Just defend the lead. Maguire, McFred, Garnacho in, Rashford, Antony, Casemiro, Eriksen off ... and just defend the lead. Keep Weghorst for his height and strength. Top three of Weghorst, Garnacho, Bruno, everyone else on defense.
Risky but I understand your thinking.

He has to take some responsibility. Too many exhausted/underperforming players left on the pitch. If he doesn't trust the subs, why even have them.
Starting Eriksen again and play him for so long, putting McTominay on the pitch, not taking down Rashford in time, FFS for the McT alone he should be questioned for sanity. Really hate this naivity about some of the managers regarding some players. it's pretty easy to tell from telly, that some players shouldnt be here for so long. He argues about mediocrity yet he supports that that..

Too defensive in the 2nd half with very little control (subs or no subs because we were off for the whole half). Pretty sure that wasn't the plan and the reason why he looks so disappointed along with Casemiro yellow. McTominay gets that penalty and he looks like a genius though as it was right after he sub Antony and Weghorst.

Tough one, but we move on.

this was going to be issue as the season goes on. The depth and quality of our squad.
Ajax fans told us exactly that in advance, that he doesn’t like changing his starting line-up and barely makes any changes if there are no necessities to do so. The players will need to learn to deal with the hectic schedule or we are in for some tough results as the season progresses and everyone tires

Squad depth is going to end up hurting him this season. Very positive first half, but went to crap when we made subs.

Honestly, he's been very impressive so far, so I don't feel like it's justified to criticise him all that much. Best since Fergie.

Ajax fans told us exactly that in advance, that he doesn’t like changing his starting line-up and barely makes any changes if there are no necessities to do so. The players will need to learn to deal with the hectic schedule or we are in for some tough results as the season progresses and everyone tires

he's been rotating quite a lot though, way more than Ole used to do

been changing the starting line-up by 3/4 players most weeks recently

Squad depth is going to end up hurting him this season. Very positive first half, but went to crap when we made subs.

We were dross all 2nd half even before we made subs. If felt like the team thought they could phone it in for the whole second half.

Mind you, with Anthony offering nothing on one wing and Rashford playing with himself on the other more concerned about his scoring streak, we should have made better subs earlier.

After the cameo the other week i really don't understand what would be the downside of Pellistri getting Anthonys minutes.

Here's hoping Sancho has fixed his mind body and soul on his yoga retreat and can contribute something real soon

Would have preferred him to give Pellestri a chance on the RW in that situation but what can you do. Don't really blame him for keeping Case on, he was having a monstrous second half and looking vital for the three points. Just such a shame how it worked out.

I love Erik.

That being said, his decision making was pants tonight.

Bringing on McTom for Weghorst was ridiculous because:

1. He left our most irreplaceable midfielder on the pitch knowing that a yellow would see him miss the weekend game. Lo and behold.....

2. He took off the focal point to our attack. We looked rudderless against City when Martial went off, yet here he is making the exact same mistake again a few days later. It's no coincidence that when Weggy went off, CP grew into the game.

In addition to that decision:
3. He put on Fred. After Cas had been booked. I mean, putting on Fred for Cas would have made sense prior to the yellow, but what was the point in bringing on Fred (who would also miss the game against Arse with a booking) when you are already going to be missing Casemiro at the weekend? Imagine if Fred had picked up a booking- we'd have to start McTominay against Arsenal (shudder).

4. He didn't take off Rashy. He was pants tonight. He took a knock against City. And we need him against Arsenal. So take him off for Garny at around the 60 minute mark. Instead he played the full game.

Banana skin tonight and sadly Erik and most of the squad managed to stand on it.

But United have been on a great run and tonight’s draw might feels like a loss now but they are still unbeaten since the restart.

The highs and lows of football!

If we can get top 4 and win the league Cup whilst he learns from these mistakes, I'll take that for the season. What I don't wanna see is the same mistakes still being made next season, as it'll start holding us back eventually from actually challenging for the league.

Title talk was a bit silly truth to be known. Year 1 under ETH we should be happy enough with a top 4 finish with the opportunity of finishing 3rd or 2nd in the table. Still work to do while fingers crossed no long term injuries to key players in the 2nd half of the season.

Winning a domestic trophy such as the league Cup would be a nice bonus.

ETH is exceeding all expectations so far. Don’t forget he’s barely 6 months into this role. Arteta‘s into Year 4 at Arsenal and Guardiola‘s like Year 7? It’s pretty incredible how he’s managed to make this United team look like they’ve been together playing longer than they actually have under him. Guardiola’s first season was basically transitionary and Arteta up to the beginning of this season was slow steady progress with some horrorshow patches.

The more games we play, the better he understands what we need and the better we become at managing to deal with having two games a week, which is something we’re going to have to get good at if you want to be a great team.

Theres no manager in the past 5 years who won PL in their first season. See: Klopp, Pep.

That being said: sack Ten Hag, sell Antony.

Last edited:
There's just no depth, he doesn't trust the bench and rightly so. This was genuinely such a good chance this season to push on and really challenge, it's Arsenal ffs. Owners completely unwilling to put some money down for a chance, sale or no sale.

Theres no manager in the past 7 years who won PL in their first season. See: Klopp, Pep.

And even with Conte at Chelsea when that last happened, they had no Europe to worry about and still had a pretty stacked squad despite finishing 10th the season before. So unless you’ve managed to retain a top CL squad for a season without Europe, you’ve got no chance.

I prefer to play in Europe even if it’s not CL with a new manager. It’s important to get used to the concept of having to play twice a week regularly and actively needing to manage a squad. We can’t just play our best XI every game or they’ll be fecked come the New Year point of the season and every team can read us like a book, so we need to have variation. Conte’s 2nd Chelsea season was pretty lacklustre when they had CL and 2014/15 Liverpool were also lacklustre under Rodgers and wilted under playing CL football, despite scoring a 100 league goals the season before without Europe and narrowly missing out on winning the league. We’re handling the load fairly well at the moment which bodes well for the future.

People are slightly being harsh on him here. Our squad depth sucks. People asking him to bench Casemiro would have moaned had we lost without him, which by the way is a real possibility with Mctominay marshaling the midfield.

Draw really would hurt the team but that's how we learn. Let him build his own side and then we can judge him properly. So far exceeding my expectations

People are slightly being harsh on him here. Our squad depth sucks. People asking him to bench Casemiro would have moaned had we lost without him, which by the way is a real possibility with Mctominay marshaling the midfield.

Draw really would hurt the team but that's how we learn. Let him build his own side and then we can judge him properly. So far exceeding my expectations
Yeah playing Casemiro was fine and i'm certain he would have been taken off if the score had been 2-0. As it was Palace were still in the game and attacking and the drop off from someone of Casemiro's quality to McFred is huge. He needed to stay on but that was the risk. If the front three had played better though then he could have come off earlier.

we got a draw after a world class free kick and a denied penalty. it happens.

yes the performance was sluggish but is that any surprise 3 days after a tough derby match? these kind of banana skins happen.

Theres no manager in the past 7 years who won PL in their first season. See: Klopp, Pep.

Actually the first 2 of the last seven title wins were both done by managers winning it in their first season on the job (Ranieri at Leicester and Conte at Chelsea)…

I love football and I love how many experts on here know so much more than our manager tonight. :lol:

I trust him to find solutions and he seems to be a quick learner, but no doubt bench is very weak apart from Garnacho. Lack of rotation has led to a very lethargic and sluggish 2nd half.

He needs to secure top 4 this season and bolster the squad so he has solid rotation options.

Traditionally, in this period of the season, it’s often about how to grind out the result. We lost two points due to a screamer. It’s ok. It can’t be ignored that we have played so many games in such a short period. The other teams will drop points for sure.

Actually the first 2 of the last seven title wins were both done by managers winning it in their first season on the job (Ranieri at Leicester and Conte at Chelsea)…
Ok I might have miscalculated it, the past 5 years then

Today was a reality check for those saying title race imo. You can see how lacking we are in squad depth. We have 2 attackers, Rashford and Garnacho, 3 midfileders, one of whom can't play more than 60 mins. Where we are is already a miracle and overachievement from ETH.

Today was a reality check for those saying title race imo. You can see how lacking we are in squad depth. We have 2 attackers, Rashford and Garnacho, 3 midfileders, one of whom can't play more than 60 mins. Where we are is already a miracle and overachievement from ETH.
We are optimistic and we believe. We don’t think it a reality check but a massive setback even though it might turn to be a good point. We will make strong challenge after this crazy, intensive game schedule. Let’s look forward.

It's a highly competitive league, don't forget Pep won feck all during his first season at City.
Ten Hag is the correct manager for this club and the new owners should back him. Add people to help with transfer targets if needed but don't be stingy, keep on signing the correct players to add more depth and in 1-2 years we will reap the rewards. I'm sure of it.

I love football and I love how many experts on here know so much more than our manager tonight. :lol:
That's true every night, not just tonight, but like the team, I think he had an off night, he got a few things wrong this game

Yeah, we badly need upgrades for McTominay and Weghorst (fine for 4 months, he'll raise our floor when Martial is out).

Please give Lisandro a go at DM,slim hopes of title chase has gone now so nothing to lose

This forum is thinking very black and white I notice. ETH has obviously been crucial this season but still isn't on the pitch himself. Depending on the outcome he's either brilliant or terrible here. He's trying to make the best options from a statistical point of view.
We should have won the game in normal circumstances but the city game for instance should probably have been a draw. Over a season this more or less evens out.

Having won that city game was a great boost for morale so I rather have the 3+1 instead of 1+3 though

Reactions: Cheimoon
Subs didnt help much and the Weghorst sub made us worse, lost the control a bit. Should have been more ambitious in front of their goal which he said himself. These things happen.

I feel like right now is a bit of a high stakes point for EtH. Some of his decisions are coming home to roost. Like signing Antony. Huge waste of money due to the vast overpay. Meant we have both an ineffective player on the pitch - and no money for a real striker. Instead we get Wout, who has a few positives but also clear limitations. So that's 2 sub par players in the XI. Then there was playing Casemiro and keeping him on the pitch. The gamble failed. We didn't get the win and we didn't get him past the 19 game point for suspensions, instead losing him for one of the biggest league games of the season. Though, no one expected us to even begin challenging for the title, so I'm not going to hold it against EtH if we lose. But instead of being in a position to possibly rumble Arsenal, for us it's back to a fight for top 4, most likely. If he can somehow get us a draw after last night's double whammy, I'll be very impressed.

2nd half game management wasn't good but I'm pretty sure he knows that already.
I believe in him, shit happens. We move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.