Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean he's probably pointing at Telles, Maguire,
Well, damn. I mean, he is not wrong, but I'm not sure about saying it out loud. He will be managing some of these players tomorrow, next week, and for the foreseeable future.
Fair to say he likes Shaw, and DDG. Rashford and McT are academy so they aren't included. Varane he singled out as a great buy before him.

Then he bought Eriksen, Casemiro, Antony, Malacia.

Don't really think he's offended many people outside of what, Lindelof Maguire and arguably Sancho who may come back a different player.

Ten Hag:

"Manchester United didn't exactly have the fear factor last season. There was no spirit. I saw no team dynamic in the squad. The mental resilience was very low. I saw that as an outsider - and also noticed it in my first weeks at the club. I looked at the culture of the club. I asked ‘how did Manchester United become great?"

"And for me, it was about Sir Alex Ferguson. His teams excelled in togetherness, collectivity, spirit. You just couldn't beat them."

"United always had top strikers like Cantona, Cole, Sheringham, Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie. And top goalkeepers like Schmeichel, Van der Sar, De Gea."

"And think of players like Ryan Giggs or David Beckham. That’s the culture of Manchester United. I looked at that very carefully and then saw that last season's team looked fragile and vulnerable."

“When we get players, you look at their quality and technical skills. But you also look at their mental quality, that mental resilience - and we had to bring that back.”

"The club has bought an unimaginable number of players in recent years who have not been good enough."

"Most purchases have been average - and at United average is not good enough. United's shirt weighs heavily. Only real personalities, who can perform under great pressure, can play here."

"We needed personalities. That's why the acquisition of Casemiro was so important. Along with Raphael Varane, we now have a second player who has experience of winning titles."

"Malacia, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony are all fighters, while Christian Eriksen is a technical winner and a great personality. We want the best of the best. Any players we bring to Manchester United must meet the highest standard."

"I think we should be satisfied with where we are now given the bumps encountered in the early part of the season. We are not yet competitive with Manchester City - and I still see that club as a step too high at the moment."

"I also expect Liverpool to be right back - and I see them, together with City, as the two teams to beat in England. Also, Arsenal are having a super season and are already far ahead in the league."

"Below that, we have to battle with Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs for the Champions League ticket, so the competition is huge. The club's aim is to play in the Champions League again. That should always be our goal. If we achieve that, it will feel like our championship."
Fantastic interview. He’s pushing these players mentally which we have lacked for a long time whilst also giving them a tactical platform to succeed. We’ve tended to have one or the other (Jose mentality without tactics) Or neither ! Ole and Moyes

Well, damn. I mean, he is not wrong, but I'm not sure about saying it out loud. He will be managing some of these players tomorrow, next week, and for the foreseeable future.
He's talking about the post SAF era so I don't think our current players will take it personally.

true, also I wouldn't be so sure with Antony, Malacia, and Martinez.

Fair to say he likes Shaw, and DDG. Rashford and McT are academy so they aren't included. Varane he singled out as a great buy before him.

Don't really think he's offended many people outside of what, Lindelof Maguire and arguably Sancho who may come back a different player.
I don't think it's aimed at any current players but Wan-Bissaka, Fred and van de Beek have also underperformed relative to their fees.

We've spent money really badly for the last decade, you could easily name 20 players who fit the bill from his description.

You may well be right, however I’m sure in his head this also includes players that are still at the club.

Yeah, maybe. It’s all good though. If they’re made of the right stuff it will inspire them to prove they’re not the players he’s referring to. If they feel crushed by these comments then he’s right in what he said about them!

Fantastic interview. He’s pushing these players mentally which we have lacked for a long time whilst also giving them a tactical platform to succeed. We’ve tended to have one or the other (Jose mentality without tactics) Or neither ! Ole and Moyes

Still can't believe David Moyes was actually a Utd manager.

Yeah, maybe. It’s all good though. If they’re made of the right stuff it will inspire them to prove they’re not the players he’s referring to. If they feel crushed by these comments then he’s right in what he said about them!
Yeah it's all well and good babying these players to be happier but ultimately, to succeed at United, you need to be able to handle the pressure and there's loads out there who just can't. The pressure this season isn't even close to what it will be next season once we are expected to make a step up. This season we can slowly improve but still have a bump against Villa and nobody will be too upset. Next season should be mini meltdowns at that. Which is how it should be, but it'll prove if the players can handle it.

AWB, Telles, Maguire, Lindelof, Sancho, Donny - staggering!!

Like the first bit. The end feels 'realistic' but hate hearing it, even if it reflects the situation we are in.
I like it because many of our fans need to wake up and smell the coffee. We need to temper our expectations and give him time to build. I feel for the first time since fergie we finally have someone capable of doing it right

Ten Hag:

"Manchester United didn't exactly have the fear factor last season. There was no spirit. I saw no team dynamic in the squad. The mental resilience was very low. I saw that as an outsider - and also noticed it in my first weeks at the club. I looked at the culture of the club. I asked ‘how did Manchester United become great?"

"And for me, it was about Sir Alex Ferguson. His teams excelled in togetherness, collectivity, spirit. You just couldn't beat them."

"United always had top strikers like Cantona, Cole, Sheringham, Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie. And top goalkeepers like Schmeichel, Van der Sar, De Gea."

"And think of players like Ryan Giggs or David Beckham. That’s the culture of Manchester United. I looked at that very carefully and then saw that last season's team looked fragile and vulnerable."

“When we get players, you look at their quality and technical skills. But you also look at their mental quality, that mental resilience - and we had to bring that back.”

"The club has bought an unimaginable number of players in recent years who have not been good enough."

"Most purchases have been average - and at United average is not good enough. United's shirt weighs heavily. Only real personalities, who can perform under great pressure, can play here."

"We needed personalities. That's why the acquisition of Casemiro was so important. Along with Raphael Varane, we now have a second player who has experience of winning titles."

"Malacia, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony are all fighters, while Christian Eriksen is a technical winner and a great personality. We want the best of the best. Any players we bring to Manchester United must meet the highest standard."

"I think we should be satisfied with where we are now given the bumps encountered in the early part of the season. We are not yet competitive with Manchester City - and I still see that club as a step too high at the moment."

"I also expect Liverpool to be right back - and I see them, together with City, as the two teams to beat in England. Also, Arsenal are having a super season and are already far ahead in the league."

"Below that, we have to battle with Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs for the Champions League ticket, so the competition is huge. The club's aim is to play in the Champions League again. That should always be our goal. If we achieve that, it will feel like our championship."

brilliant interview and you can't argue a damn thing with what he has said b/c it is spot on

It’s a wake up call to players who may think that they are one the ‘average’ players not named. Buck up your ideas or clear off

AWB, Telles, Maguire, Lindelof, Sancho, Donny - staggering!!
i wouldn't throw Sancho into that mix just yet....but the rest of those guys are shit and we knew they were shit when purchased b/c we had a clown running our transfer decisions

Ten Hag:

I like that he's realistic and factual. You can't even argue with him on this one.

This guy is definitely in tune with the fans. I hope we get new owners who are as well and then who knows.

Totally, timing is interesting as I have no doubt he will finally rotate his team starting for the Carabao Cup against Charlton, lets hope they all do well and this will generate interest from potential clubs for this summer transfer window.

Totally, timing is interesting as I have no doubt he will finally rotate his team starting for the Carabao Cup against Charlton, lets hope they all do well and this will generate interest from potential clubs for this summer transfer window.

He rotated v Bournemouth using Lindelof and Maguire

Donny indeed started for the first time since I can’t remember, and that was due to Antony being injured.

I’m not sure what your point is? The fact is he rotated the team a little. He’s being doing in bit by bit and by also utilising the 5 subs earlier to manage game time.

Its a fine balance especially when you don’t have much squad depth and are in the early stages of a rebuild.

I’m not sure what your point is? The fact is he rotated the team a little. He’s being doing in bit by bit and by also utilising the 5 subs earlier to manage game time.

Its a fine balance especially when you don’t have much squad depth and are in the early stages of a rebuild.

You should probably have a read in my previous conversation instead of assuming I am having a go at ETH for not using his squad.

You should probably have a read in my previous conversation instead of assuming I am having a go at ETH for not using his squad.

You said he will ‘finally’ rotate v Charlton.

My point is he has been doing it incrementally since the restart and I’ve explained how.

Don’t be so defensive.

You said he will ‘finally’ rotate v Charlton.

My point is he has been doing it incrementally since the restart and I’ve explained how.

Don’t be so defensive.

Do you feel resting one player is a definition of rotation?

Do you feel resting one player is a definition of rotation?

I’ve just mentioned he started with 3 different players v Bournemouth and has been using the 5 subs earlier.

The definition of rotation isn’t changing everything, its the movement around an axis. FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.