Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve just mentioned he started with 3 different players v Bournemouth and has been using the 5 subs earlier.

The definition of rotation isn’t changing everything, its the movement around an axis. FYI

He was forced to start 2 of the 3 players as I mentioned above, think we should leave it here as we both interpret rotation differently

He was forced to start 2 of the 3 players as I mentioned above, think we should leave it here as we both interpret rotation differently

I interpret it by its definition.

Ten Hag has been using the squad around an axis of players who are important to his system (ie Casemiro, we don’t have anyone who can do what he does in the side yet).

Its all about balance and a fine line between making too many changes and it hindering the play style and not enough.

He’s also using subs to reduce game time.

I interpret it by its definition.

Ten Hag has been using the squad around an axis of players who are important to his system (ie Casemiro, we don’t have anyone who can do what he does in the side yet).

Its all about balance and a fine line between making too many changes and it hindering the play style and not enough.

He’s also using subs to reduce game time.

Again you are missing the point here, and I don’t disagree any of this.

If you are a player who would be offended by ETH's comments then you are basically admitting that you are shit and average and know you have no place at the club. He didn't name anyone, so this will serve to make players understand that being average is not enough.

Sorry what was the point then?

My saying ‘finally’ your post suggested he hasn’t rotated.

I mentioned he may “finally rotate“ his squad against Charlton is where he picks his squad players to start the game where his starting XI are fit and available, the message that ETH has sent out may play a role to get a reaction from them.

I mentioned he may “finally rotate“ his squad against Charlton is where he picks his squad players to start the game where his starting XI are fit and available, the message that ETH has sent out may play a role to get a reaction from them.

Now you see I don’t think that’s what he wants to achieve.

He very much feels like if you play well you earn and keep a spot. He wants it to be very much a squad not a first and second XI

Glad he's our manager, I wanted him before Rangnick but we eventually got him.
Rangnick was never meant to be a permanent manager. It was either Conte now or Rangnick + Ten Hag later. Glad the Glazers have done at least one thing right in their entire period in charge of this football club. Right as they are about to leave (the second thing they've done right, albeit far too late)

rotation....people complaining about that so i can only imagine the complaints coming out when we see the charlton lineup

Now you see I don’t think that’s what he wants to achieve.

He very much feels like if you play well you earn and keep a spot. He wants it to be very much a squad not a first and second XI

Who knows, I just feel timing wise is interesting with this game coming up

As for the bolded part, don’t think you will find anyone disagree with it.

Due to them going out of the cup we could potentially be playing the missed PL game against Palace in the midweek after the City game. (according to fantasy football twitter).

Due to them going out of the cup we could potentially be playing the missed PL game against Palace in the midweek after the City game. (according to fantasy football twitter).

Waiting for Leeds too. If Leeds dont have a replay which fixture takes priority?

Might as well get it out of the way, especially when they don’t seem to play well. Downside is much less time to prep for Arsenal game. Schedule congestion is such a bitch.

Waiting for Leeds too. If Leeds dont have a replay which fixture takes priority?
Yeah. I'm not sure. But we're short on midweek slots if they don't use that week and we stay in the cups. Would surely need to get announced on Monday/Tuesday either way.

Ten Hag:

"Manchester United didn't exactly have the fear factor last season. There was no spirit. I saw no team dynamic in the squad. The mental resilience was very low. I saw that as an outsider - and also noticed it in my first weeks at the club. I looked at the culture of the club. I asked ‘how did Manchester United become great?"

"And for me, it was about Sir Alex Ferguson. His teams excelled in togetherness, collectivity, spirit. You just couldn't beat them."

"United always had top strikers like Cantona, Cole, Sheringham, Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie. And top goalkeepers like Schmeichel, Van der Sar, De Gea."

"And think of players like Ryan Giggs or David Beckham. That’s the culture of Manchester United. I looked at that very carefully and then saw that last season's team looked fragile and vulnerable."

“When we get players, you look at their quality and technical skills. But you also look at their mental quality, that mental resilience - and we had to bring that back.”

"The club has bought an unimaginable number of players in recent years who have not been good enough."

"Most purchases have been average - and at United average is not good enough. United's shirt weighs heavily. Only real personalities, who can perform under great pressure, can play here."

"We needed personalities. That's why the acquisition of Casemiro was so important. Along with Raphael Varane, we now have a second player who has experience of winning titles."

"Malacia, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony are all fighters, while Christian Eriksen is a technical winner and a great personality. We want the best of the best. Any players we bring to Manchester United must meet the highest standard."

"I think we should be satisfied with where we are now given the bumps encountered in the early part of the season. We are not yet competitive with Manchester City - and I still see that club as a step too high at the moment."

"I also expect Liverpool to be right back - and I see them, together with City, as the two teams to beat in England. Also, Arsenal are having a super season and are already far ahead in the league."

"Below that, we have to battle with Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs for the Champions League ticket, so the competition is huge. The club's aim is to play in the Champions League again. That should always be our goal. If we achieve that, it will feel like our championship."
He's right to say what he's saying. It's managing expectations which is good because so many folk are starting to change theirs now we're in the top four. At the start of the season that was the expectation for a lot of folk, but I've been seeing some of those same folk now say that anything less than winning the league will be a failure. We need to remember how much we've already improved this season and keep calm.

What a coach. What a man. What a Legend. United are back baby! Love to see it!

Anyone reckon those comments from ETH about the poor standard of player we have recruited is mainly down to how we are unable to fix the striker dept this window? In terms of we’ve wasted all this money in the past which is now coming back to cost us and resulting in us now having to settle for Aboubakar on loan till the end of the season.

Anyone reckon those comments from ETH about the poor standard of player we have recruited is mainly down to how we are unable to fix the striker dept this window? In terms of we’ve wasted all this money in the past which is now coming back to cost us and resulting in us now having to settle for Aboubakar on loan till the end of the season.
He sounded like a man who’s been told that recruits won’t happen because the squad has depth already.

He sounded like a man who’s been told that recruits won’t happen because the squad has depth already.

Yes, which comes back to what my initial post was stating. We’ve wasted crazy amounts of money in the past which has resulted in us having to persevere with what we have and the best we can really go for is Aboubakar on loan. The back-up options are a poor standard and a big drop off to the players that are starting every game.

Ten Hag:

"Manchester United didn't exactly have the fear factor last season. There was no spirit. I saw no team dynamic in the squad. The mental resilience was very low. I saw that as an outsider - and also noticed it in my first weeks at the club. I looked at the culture of the club. I asked ‘how did Manchester United become great?"

"And for me, it was about Sir Alex Ferguson. His teams excelled in togetherness, collectivity, spirit. You just couldn't beat them."

"United always had top strikers like Cantona, Cole, Sheringham, Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie. And top goalkeepers like Schmeichel, Van der Sar, De Gea."

"And think of players like Ryan Giggs or David Beckham. That’s the culture of Manchester United. I looked at that very carefully and then saw that last season's team looked fragile and vulnerable."

“When we get players, you look at their quality and technical skills. But you also look at their mental quality, that mental resilience - and we had to bring that back.”

"The club has bought an unimaginable number of players in recent years who have not been good enough."

"Most purchases have been average - and at United average is not good enough. United's shirt weighs heavily. Only real personalities, who can perform under great pressure, can play here."

"We needed personalities. That's why the acquisition of Casemiro was so important. Along with Raphael Varane, we now have a second player who has experience of winning titles."

"Malacia, Martinez, Casemiro, Antony are all fighters, while Christian Eriksen is a technical winner and a great personality. We want the best of the best. Any players we bring to Manchester United must meet the highest standard."

"I think we should be satisfied with where we are now given the bumps encountered in the early part of the season. We are not yet competitive with Manchester City - and I still see that club as a step too high at the moment."

"I also expect Liverpool to be right back - and I see them, together with City, as the two teams to beat in England. Also, Arsenal are having a super season and are already far ahead in the league."

"Below that, we have to battle with Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs for the Champions League ticket, so the competition is huge. The club's aim is to play in the Champions League again. That should always be our goal. If we achieve that, it will feel like our championship."

ETH 100% gets what this club is about. People used to talk about 'the United way' - well, that's it right there: "You just couldn't beat them". Ferguson used to say it all the time: he looked for personalities, mental strength, people unafraid of the expectation, fighters.

A lot of those 'not good enough' players we brought tons of, had the technical ability, but didn't have the mental strength to be a United player, and I'm looking at you Pogba.

There's a reason we look like United again, and it isn't just because our passing got better.

Ten Hag:

My manager

This is the one guys. Not the Chosen One, the Crazy One, the Special One, or the Legend One. The Right One.

That sounded RAWKish but I don't care

Top manager.

First time I’ve really trusted one of our managers since Fergie.

It actually makes the transfer windows a lot more enjoyable for me as I trust him to bring in the right players, even if those players aren’t necessarily the most popular or obvious choices.

forget 2013-2019 and just the sheer shit we bought that made little to no contribution for most of them....here are just the last three windows which is about 400m spent. Not a player on the list, bar Bruno, that has done fuk all for this club and actually is a contributor right now. Varane will get there if he stays fit and healthy as will Sancho, IMO. I mean it's shocking and you see why EtH made the comments that he did on just how poor the transfer business has been done by this club.

2019/20
TRANSFERS IN:
  • Harry Maguire: £80m
  • Aaron Wan-Bissaka: £50m
  • Dan James: £15m
  • Bruno Fernandes: £47m
  • Hannibal Mejbri: £9m
  • Odion Ighalo: Loan
2020/21
TRANSFERS IN:

• Donny van de Beek: £35m
  • Alex Telles: £13m
  • Amad: £19m
  • Facundo Pellistri: £7m
  • Edinson Cavani: Free
  • Willy Kambwala: £3m
2021/22
TRANSFERS IN:

• Cristiano Ronaldo: £12.8m
  • Jadon Sancho: £73m
  • Raphael Varane: £34m
  • Tom Heaton: Free

forget 2013-2019 and just the sheer shit we bought that made little to no contribution for most of them....here are just the last three windows which is about 400m spent. Not a player on the list, bar Bruno, that has done fuk all for this club and actually is a contributor right now. Varane will get there if he stays fit and healthy as will Sancho, IMO. I mean it's shocking and you see why EtH made the comments that he did on just how poor the transfer business has been done by this club.

2019/20
TRANSFERS IN:
2020/21
TRANSFERS IN:

2021/22
TRANSFERS IN:

AWB, Maguire & Donny have bit us hard there

2019/20
TRANSFERS IN:
2020/21
TRANSFERS IN:

2021/22
TRANSFERS IN:

That’s a shocking list, almost as bad as Chelsea’s. Pretty clear we had no real plan, just signed players for the sake of filling up the squad. Hope that chapter is well and truly behind us, even if it takes a while to move some (most) of these players out.

That’s a shocking list, almost as bad as Chelsea’s. Pretty clear we had no real plan, just signed players for the sake of filling up the squad. Hope that chapter is well and truly behind us, even if it takes a while to move some (most) of these players out.

Yeah some of those buys are hanging around our necks like noises,also the ones in that six year period before that as well

Even if we ignore the price tag, tThe quality of these signings is still quite bad.

be fair...the initial season Maguire and AWB weren't terrible. However....it's been poor since these last two seasons and both have shown they aren't good enough for United. Donny never has shown once he is good enough. I mean you have 3 completely wasted windows with only Bruno and Varane who are currently playing with Sancho trying to sort out his head. That is 3 or 16 players...no wonder we have been shit and the gaffer is puzzled by the lack of quality and drive to be successful.

The lack of 'hits' and the amount of misses in those signings is pretty incredible.

Bruno's contribution has been an unqualified success I think, especially in terms of goals and assists and the money that was spent. There's no way we finish 3rd in Ole's first season if he hadn't dragged us there . The atmosphere around the club was rotten prior to his signing too.

The rest are either decent short term signings that helped us (cavani, Ighalo), potential 'one for the future' signings, or just terrible wastes of money. To be fair Varane has been excellent this season and Sancho can still turn it around but ...all that money wasted elsewhere :(

The lack of 'hits' and the amount of misses in those signings is pretty incredible.

Bruno's contribution has been an unqualified success I think, especially in terms of goals and assists and the money that was spent. There's no way we finish 3rd in Ole's first season if he hadn't dragged us there . The atmosphere around the club was rotten prior to his signing too.

The rest are either decent short term signings that helped us (cavani, Ighalo), potential 'one for the future' signings, or just terrible wastes of money. To be fair Varane has been excellent this season and Sancho can still turn it around but ...all that money wasted elsewhere :(

Yeah proves we have wasted a fortune in just last four years alone and it's hurting us now

2019/20
TRANSFERS IN:
2020/21
TRANSFERS IN:

2021/22
TRANSFERS IN:

If you exclude Hannibal and Willy who went straight to the academy, then you only have Bruno & Varane as the quality signings, Amad's development was interrupted but he might become good for us in the future, Cavani helped for a bit, the rest are basically useless, unless Sancho comes back a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.