Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murtough has said we're not planning to spend in January, I think ETH is showing his hands are tied depth-wise and making Ronaldo captain whilst wanting rid of him highlights that.

We've all said it's going to be an up and down season, then are surprised when we get a down.

Anyone questioning ETH's position is mental, in my view.

We've scored 28 goals in 19 games, his selections and subs have been questionable at times, Ronaldo who turned his back on the team the other week is captain today, people have the right to question him.

I've wanted him as manager since Ole got the boot, but even today made me feel apprehensive about this season.
And you should feel apprehensive about the first season for any new manager, particularly one tasked with sorting out the goat rodeo mess that is Manchester United. But he clearly has something about him, and prior to today, we've actually been on a pretty impressive run.

Garnacho is too young to be playing back to back away games. Ronaldo is too old to be playing back to back away games. VDB is too useless to be playing any games. Perhaps you can get away with one, but all three together is a mistake.

It's okay, ETH made the wrong choices today. He will learn. It is a process.

Sounds annoyed at the defending and the collective 'not following the plan' from the post match.
I think that was clear to see from the off. Started to passive, no fight, not getting stuck in, heads gone after the goals. They need to build some serious character or get the feck out. The manager is going no where so they better start grafting.

Sounds annoyed at the defending and the collective 'not following the plan' from the post match.
Defending lost us the game. We can usually score 1 or 2 but starting the game with a two goal handicap was a bit much.

He's not an excuse maker, I'll give him that. I like what I've seen so far from him, and days like this happen. He's shown he can bounce back. We're not a team that can afford to have players like Varane, Bruno and Antony injured. We're not at that level yet.

There comes a time were we have to stick , the managerial revolving door will get us nowhere.

ETH has walked into a club with big expectation but a culture of failure after failure. It is going to take far more than one season to reverse that. We need to back him long term.

He has spent 200m. He has bought several players he has either worked with previously or seen closely in the Dutch league.

Spurs are shit. Chelsea are shit. Liverpool are shit. Top 4 is there for the taking.

This is a result business. There are no excuses. Get top 4 or win the EL, or get the feck out.

We've scored 28 goals in 19 games, his selections and subs have been questionable at times, Ronaldo who turned his back on the team the other week is captain today, people have the right to question him.

I've wanted him as manager since Ole got the boot, but even today made me feel apprehensive about this season.
Where do you expect us to be though? Do you expect us to play great attacking football with no Antony, Sancho, martial and Bruno, only a few months into his time here, where he hasnt been able to get squad players that he actually likes?

Ronaldo as captain yeah I don't like that, not sure how that's decided but other than that, it's not exactly a surprise to lose away to a team like villa with their first game after hiring Emery who is a very good defensive manager, after having 5 key players absent or unavailable to start (and pushing another out of position so the 18 year old isn't out of position). We are months into his tenure. Not years. It's ridiculous to expect us to be able to navigate a game like today, with an actual great performance. Sure we might grind out a win sometimes, but it was never going to be a pretty performance today. They scored a screamer and their first chance early, so it was always an uphill battle.

He has spent 200m. He has bought several players he has either worked with previously or seen closely in the Dutch league.

Spurs are shit. Chelsea are shit. Liverpool are shit. Top 4 is there for the taking.

This is a result business. There are no excuses. Get top 4 or win the EL, or get the feck out.
:lol: mate you should follow your own advice. Seriously posts like this are so dumb. Ok in your hypothetical dramatic world, who do we hire? What better manager is there for us than Ten Hag? Pep and Klopp aren't Cong here. You're an idiot if you want him gone, simple as.

The problem is he don't have any selection for his selecting in both starting 11 and sub, the quality between first 11 and the bench is so huge. Also, the important starting CF is so injury prone.
Also, the off pitch influence of Ronaldo is so huge to turn everything bad. After Ronaldo case, i think ETH is lost some board supporting because of Ronaldo.

It couldn't possibly be the players, it never is...

Who is promoting these muppets?

People keep saying that Ronaldo shouldn't have started. Who else was there?
Anyone. Stick Maguire up front. I'd just be happy not to see his botoxed face as he pouts his way through another anonymous non-performance.

I want him to be ruthless in transfer windows. We have too many average players.

It's annoying hearing him say the lesson is to be ready for these games. I feel like I've been listening to United managers say this for years now

If the players are not ready for a game of premiership football then it has to be the fault of those in charge.

It's just not good enough to say we were not ready and they started both halves better.

If the players are not in the right frame of mind before the game starts then they should not be sent out there and they shouldn't be be at the club

We have some of the worst fans :lol:

I get wanting him out if we totally shit the bed and look hopeless, but the amount thinking he should be gone if we don’t get top 4, when it’s such a competitive and tight battle is mental.

Murtough has said we're not planning to spend in January, I think ETH is showing his hands are tied depth-wise and making Ronaldo captain whilst wanting rid of him highlights that.

We've all said it's going to be an up and down season, then are surprised when we get a down.

Anyone questioning ETH's position is mental, in my view.

It’s beyond stupid to question him.

Anyone. Stick Maguire up front. I'd just be happy not to see his botoxed face as he pouts his way through another anonymous non-performance.
So this is about your dislike of Ronaldo, sorry mate not everyone hates Ronaldo like you.

If this post is serious, and you really think we haven't had progress since he came in, I don't know what to say. It is hard to believe this post is serious though, I refuse to believe people can't see most basic things.
We have improved and look decent when the whole squad is fit and fresh. We had some good possession in a few games and it’s quite promising. But:

Team selection has been a bit curious at times. Everyone can disagree (with each other) about the best team, especially when some of the top players are out.

Management of Ronaldo has been questionable.

The team looks a real mess at times.

And the big one - Results are, on the whole, not really that great. So-called Progress doesn’t count for much if the results don’t come and it is a constant knife edge at this club.

Everyone needs to have faith in ETH, including himself. Probably he knows what he’s doing but sometimes it’s not obvious.

How many first team player we lost or free transfer out before this season?
Also, we are shit before this season. our starting 11 and bench was shit before this season. Do you actually know how poor of our quality and quantity?
Also, why don't you say this statement when we win Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal? and say this when we lost without Antony, Burno, Varane, Martial(Just get back) in the pitch?

If you keep this mentality to fire the manager. There will no Klopp Liverpool, Arteta Aresenal or Pep City.

Rashford, Martial ? Bring Ronaldo on late to see the game out when there are some tired legs on the pitch. Or is that disrespecting Ronaldo?
Martial isn't ready to start games. Even at the best of times you don't rush players back, and considering how injury prone he has been the last two seasons we really have to ease him back in as much as we can. I'm hoping he doesn't play much at all until after the World Cup break.

Ronaldo and Rashford were literally our only two first team attackers who were fit. The other three options were kids - Elanga, Garnacho and Pellistri. We had no choice but to play one of them as it was. Dropping Ronaldo for one of them is a lot different than dropping him for one of Martial/Antony/Sancho. Especially as that would then have meant that Rashford would be the striker where he's barely any better than Ronaldo. I fully expected him to start and I'm surprised anyone thought otherwise.

If Ronaldo is still starting consistently once we actually have our attacking options back then it'll be time to criticise ETH. But not now with this current situation.

I expect him to quickly drop Ronaldo and van de Beek.
Yes, when he has options he probably will.

But he could have made DDG captain without raising any eyebrows so I’m not sure what he was thinking giving it to CR7.

@Samid's been around for years and he knows better than this. He'll probably change his tune once he calms down but it's a bad take for sure
I think avoidable loss has made many super mad this moment.

I am mad too but ETH is still absolutely the right choice. Usually a good team has 15 good rotatable players. ETH has brought 5. Another 5 in couple of windows should set us up.

Definitely don't want to see Van De Beek, Ronaldo and Rashford on the right again as 3 of the front 4, we barely play well when one of those things happens but to be fair he didnt have much of a choice with Antony, Bruno, Sancho and Martial not fit.

Ok, so who should have played today instead then?

This is just going to go round in circles, we don’t rotate because our bench isn’t up to scratch yet, and then players get leggy and don’t perform up to scratch. At the end of the day the problem you’re talking about all stems back to our attackers being abysmal when Sociedad came to Old Trafford. It made every game in the competition a must win and put unnecessary miles in the legs.
Not sure what you dont understand. Against Sociedad he should've played the guys who are usually on the bench. Today the first 11. AWB, Maguire Mengi Malacia, Fred, Scott etc. All these guys were on the bench today and are available. If that happend we would have 5/6 fresh first team players starting today instead of a full blown gazed 11

I guess this is all pretty true except it’s not black and white regarding top 4 / ECL. If we get 5th and get some consistency and finish strongly, I think he’s safe and rightly so.

I think blaming him for this mess is not a good idea. The problem is bigger than the manager. The improvements have been evident.

What is also evident us that many of the players are just shit. And the same players who were bad then are bad now, and are unreliable as even squad players.

Martial isn't ready to start games. Even at the best of times you don't rush players back, and considering how injury prone he has been the last two seasons we really have to ease him back in as much as we can. I'm hoping he doesn't play much at all until after the World Cup break.

Ronaldo and Rashford were literally our only two first team attackers who were fit. The other three options were kids - Elanga, Garnacho and Pellistri. We had no choice but to play one of them as it was. Dropping Ronaldo for one of them is a lot different than dropping him for one of Martial/Antony/Sancho. Especially as that would then have meant that Rashford would be the striker where he's barely any better than Ronaldo. I fully expected him to start and I'm surprised anyone thought otherwise.

If Ronaldo is still starting consistently once we actually have our attacking options back then it'll be time to criticise ETH. But not now with this current situation.
Have to disagree about Rashford being barely better than Ronaldo, I think he is much better and Ronaldo has been so poor having Rashford up front with Elanga and Garnacho each side may not be perfect but can`t be any worse, especially as Rashford gets pushed to the right to accomodate Ronaldo down the middle when Rashford is far more of a goal threat from the left if he is being played wide.

Yes. I wouldn’t play Ronaldo again after he walked out; he’s been poor and that was the final straw for me. I also wouldn’t start VDB until he’s had a handful of convincing performances coming off the bench. We did have a few options there.

It's fans who blindly put faith in the manager is why we have gone through the crap we've been through the last 10 years and still blindly swallow Fergie's line ''back your manager'' like it's a religious passage
Let's get rid of a manager who only had couple of months. It was nice talking to you,thank you.

who plays on the right?

Eriksen. Though you also could play Elanga or Pellistri there and even though they’re shit and young they’d have offered more than Rashford does on the right.

Rashford is a hindrance in the right. He offered nothing defensively, was constantly out of position, and everything came done his side. Dalot was left horribly exposed. It was just an awful line up all round.

He is not pragmatic enough for my liking, looks so rigid and dogmatic in his plans even if they are not working out.

What's bizarre? Bruno is out. Van de Beek had to get a chance at some point. Antony, Sancho and Martial were out (martial finally back on the bench). He gave Garnacho a start, who is an 18 year old. So you don't put him out of position.

It's perfectly logical going with what we did. It didn't work in attack, but like... We had 4 key attackers out, so what do you expect? Take de Bruyne, Haaland, Foden and mahrez out from city's team, and you bet they'd fecking feel that. But even still, Pep has been there for a long time, and has built a squad that he could still pick from Alvarez, Grealish, Bernardo Silva. We have.... A geriatric Ronaldo who is the worst striker in the league this season, an 18 year old Garnacho, Elanga who is a championship player, and van de Beek getting a chance for the first time. Because you might as well since the others are all out.

Have some perspective. It's a loss. It happens. We hadn't conceded from open play in 7 games. We were unbeaten for 9 games. Villa just got a new manager who is a very good manager whole we had a bunch of absences. If you can't understand that we'll have some bad games now and then, let alone all things considered, then you and everyone else here losing their shit are ridiculous.

Fred could have started ahead of van de flop who was garbage in midweek and did not deserve to start.

Add that to the fact he's persisted with ronaldo as a starter up front for 4 games without subbing after disrespecting him and the club and cherry on top making him captain when he has displayed no leadership qualities except being that he can throw the biggest tantrum on the pitch greater than Bruno. Also what the hell is he doing starting Lindelof in place of Maguire who had a solid game when he came back from his break.

Then today he doesn't make a single change until the 60th mins when it was clear from the get go our midfield was completely getting bypassed which resulted into us trailing by two goals and save for lucky deflection could have been 4-0.

That's what has been bizarre

Of course we will have bad games and lose, but when we lose games due to ineptitude then the blame has to go to the manager rather than it being ''one of those days'' kind of games. This wasn't one of the days, this was another ''it's been coming''

Status
Not open for further replies.