Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you dont understand. Against Sociedad he should've played the guys who are usually on the bench. Today the first 11. AWB, Maguire Mengi Malacia, Fred, Scott etc. All these guys were on the bench today and are available. If that happend we would have 5/6 fresh first team players starting today instead of a full blown gazed 11
So you can then complain about us not attempting to avoid the two extra unnecessary games in Europe.

Rashford, Martial ? Bring Ronaldo on late to see the game out when there are some tired legs on the pitch. Or is that disrespecting Ronaldo?
Disrespecting Ronaldo? Stop overreacting. Martial isn't fit enough to start. Put Rashford upfront then you need to play Garnacho and Elanga on the wings. If you think, that's the right call then I rest my case.

Let's get rid of a manager who only had couple of months. It was nice talking to you,thank you.

Where did I say we get rid of him? I said if we fail to meet objectives this season - and make no mistake after spending 230mil, top 4 is one of those objectives - then questions need to be asked.

It's fans who blindly put faith in the manager is why we have gone through the crap we've been through the last 10 years and still blindly swallow Fergie's line ''back your manager'' like it's a religious passage

Yeah, backing manager who is barely few months into the job and who brought some nice progress is "blindly putting faith". :wenger:

Let’s not forget he’s getting somewhat of a tune out of a team that is largely the same hopeless set of players as last year.

Add to that, that most of our stand out performers have been his signings, then it’s fairly obvious he’s doing a decent job.

The important thing is that the board back him next summer and beyond. Something they have failed to do with managers in the past and I’m sure the same will happen again, giving us another 3-4 years of mediocrity until the next manager that shows promise here.

He has spent 200m. He has bought several players he has either worked with previously or seen closely in the Dutch league.

Spurs are shit. Chelsea are shit. Liverpool are shit. Top 4 is there for the taking.

This is a result business. There are no excuses. Get top 4 or win the EL, or get the feck out.
Mad overreaction, you've obviously forgot how bad we were last season. What about giving him chance to actually build his own team and coach them instead of just write him off after 1 season. Who would you like to replace him?

Yes, when he has options he probably will.

But he could have made DDG captain without raising any eyebrows so I’m not sure what he was thinking giving it to CR7.
He explained that already. Go and do some digging up rather than blindly criticizing every single thing.

Anyone. Stick Maguire up front. I'd just be happy not to see his botoxed face as he pouts his way through another anonymous non-performance.
He did but it didn't work out and he was crucified for it.

Where did I say we get rid of him? I said if we fail to meet objectives this season - and make no mistake after spending 230mil, top 4 is one of those objectives - then questions need to be asked.
Go and look at the OP I was responding to. You chose to quote me without even getting the context.

For the man management, Ronaldo would make a lot of trouble in the dressing room when he sit on the bench so often (And he did already before).
Also, we cannot afford 3 CB on the field and no CB in the bench.
This season is just projecting that our bench is so thin and less quantity.
If our priority for the season is to keep Ronaldo happy then I don’t foresee this being a very good season. I’m afraid though that doing best to not piss off Ronaldo (and his former United legends friends) is quite high on the list of priorities.

Fred could have started ahead of van de flop who was garbage in midweek and did not deserve to start.

Add that to the fact he's persisted with ronaldo as a starter up front for 4 games without subbing after disrespecting him and the club and cherry on top making him captain when he has displayed no leadership qualities except being that he can throw the biggest tantrum on the pitch greater than Bruno. Also what the hell is he doing starting Lindelof in place of Maguire who had a solid game when he came back from his break.

Then today he doesn't make a single change until the 60th mins when it was clear from the get go our midfield was completely getting bypassed which resulted into us trailing by two goals and save for lucky deflection could have been 4-0.

Of course we will have bad games and lose, but when we lose games due to ineptitude then the blame has to go to the manager rather than it being ''one of those days'' kind of games. This wasn't one of the days, this was another ''it's been coming''
Who would you play ahead of Ronaldo with Sancho, Antony and Martial out? Seriously. If you're going to complain, at least look at the whole picture. He isn't catering to him. Ten Hag literally made the big move to bench him right away, take him off when needed, fine and drop him completely for his actions, and he's put Ronaldo in his place. He's playing now because of injuries, that's it.

Van de Beek, yeah I agree, but do you not understand that a manager is going to use his squad and give the guy a chance? He hasn't had a chance under Ten hag before now, and this was the first time where it just worked out that he gets a chance with Bruno being suspended. Ten Hag values Eriksen's build up play, so it made sense Van de Beek getting a chance. He won't get many more I'm sure.

Today, we conceded 0.6 xG total. We were never going to be down 4-0. They scored their first chance after bad defending from Lindelof and a clinical finish, then they scored a screamer, and we found ourselves 2 down within 10 minutes. Then we dominated and played well but had useless attackers today, probably because we had 4 key attackers unavailable.

How was this a "it was coming"? We've had the better of xG in every game for a while now? We hadn't conceded from open play in the 7 previous games? It was defensively "one of those days", and going forward it was a case of not having our starting options. And in addition, we are at a stage where we will quite simply have some off days now and then. Ten Hag has been manager for what, 4 months? Take a breath.

He explained that already. Go and do some digging up rather than blindly criticizing every single thing.
Now that’s a daft post. I know what he said; I’m saying I don’t know how he could think it was a good idea.

I don’t go criticising every single thing, and when I do criticise, it’s not done blindly, so go easy.

Yeah, backing manager who is barely few months into the job and who brought some nice progress is "blindly putting faith". :wenger:

We're 5th 2 points above brighton. Last season we finished 6th, we have conceded 19 goals in 13 games, we've limped through europa group against teams of no value and people are acting like he's a God.

No way in any shape or form am I advocating sacking the manager any time soon, but this idea that he's performed miracles and we mere mortals dare not question anything even when it's clear he's making school boy amateur level mistakes, then no I'm not about that line of thinking.

I think avoidable loss has made many super mad this moment.

I am mad too but ETH is still absolutely the right choice. Usually a good team has 15 good rotatable players. ETH has brought 5. Another 5 in couple of windows should set us up.
I'm actually really fecking annoyed about today but I handled the correct way and was a dick to my girlfriend instead.

ETH is the right choice so far, can't complain, I just wish we were less soft and more up for a fight than some of the lads seem to be.

I'm actually really fecking annoyed about today but I handled the correct way and was a dick to my girlfriend instead.

ETH is the right choice so far, can't complain, I just wish we were less soft and more up for a fight than some of the lads seem to be.

:lol:

If that happens then it will be fine to ask those questions.

But the reality is that even having spent that money this summer, we were still favoured by the betting markets at least to finish outside the top four. In sixth place, in fact. So if those questions are asked, the answers will be relatively straightforward.

As is though we're three points behind 4th and four points behind 3rd, with a game in hand on both. So there's not much point in overly speculating about us finishing outside the top four just yet. We're doing fine.

He has come from managing the dominant side in a fairly uncompetitive league to taking over a struggling sleeping giant in a very competitive and physical league. Ignoring the limitations of our playing squad he’s also going to make plenty of mistakes while he adjusts and probably be very naive to the style of premier league teams.

I’m overall still very happy with a lot of what he’s doing, although Harry Maguire up front against Sociedad was a real WTF moment.

We're 5th 2 points above brighton. Last season we finished 6th, we have conceded 19 goals in 13 games, we've limped through europa group against teams of no value and people are acting like he's a God.

No way in any shape or form am I advocating sacking the manager any time soon, but this idea that he's performed miracles and we mere mortals dare not question anything even when it's clear he's making school boy amateur level mistakes, then no I'm not about that line of thinking.
We lack consistency and that has a lot to do with squad depth. I think he’ll turn out to be the right manager but, you’re right, he has made some decisions that look a lot like mistakes, with hindsight at least.

Fred has a great game against Chelsea. Dropped since. Van de Beek woeful against Real Sociedad. Starts days later. Ronaldo captain. Rashford on the right. Maguire up front earlier in the week. :wenger:

People are also wildly overreacting to the criticism he receives. Pointing out he made mistakes that may have cost us games or took unfortunate/unsuccessful decisions in not turning on the manager.

I'm absolutely convinced that he's the man for us, doesn't change that he fecked up a bit in the last week in my opinion

Same here mate. Just trying to control frustration.

If that happens then it will be fine to ask those questions.

But the reality is that even having spent that money this summer, we were still favoured by the betting markets at least to finish outside the top four. In sixth place, in fact. So if those questions are asked, the answers will be relatively straightforward.

As is though we're three points behind 4th and four points behind 3rd, with a game in hand on both. So there's not much point in overly speculating about us finishing outside the top four just yet. We're doing fine.
Yes, I think we’re doing about par. I have some sympathy with those expecting us to exceed par. We’re allowed to hope for that! But realistically, the squad is a bit thin and ETH is still settling in. He’s made mistakes but he does seem to learn from them. He’ll make a few more mistakes but the general curve seems to be up.

Who would you play ahead of Ronaldo with Sancho, Antony and Martial out? Seriously. If you're going to complain, at least look at the whole picture. He isn't catering to him. Ten Hag literally made the big move to bench him right away, take him off when needed, fine and drop him completely for his actions, and he's put Ronaldo in his place. He's playing now because of injuries, that's it.

Van de Beek, yeah I agree, but do you not understand that a manager is going to use his squad and give the guy a chance? He hasn't had a chance under Ten hag before now, and this was the first time where it just worked out that he gets a chance with Bruno being suspended. Ten Hag values Eriksen's build up play, so it made sense Van de Beek getting a chance. He won't get many more I'm sure.

Today, we conceded 0.6 xG total. We were never going to be down 4-0. They scored their first chance after bad defending from Lindelof and a clinical finish, then they scored a screamer, and we found ourselves 2 down within 10 minutes. Then we dominated and played well but had useless attackers today, probably because we had 4 key attackers unavailable.

How was this a "it was coming"? We've had the better of xG in every game for a while now? We hadn't conceded from open play in the 7 previous games? It was defensively "one of those days", and going forward it was a case of not having our starting options. And in addition, we are at a stage where we will quite simply have some off days now and then. Ten Hag has been manager for what, 4 months? Take a breath.

He could have easily accommodated Rashford up top garnacho on the left and elanga on the right. When I saw ronaldo starting I knew we were going to be toothless up front as all he does is wait in the box for service and doesn't both linking up or holding the ball up up front.

And I don't believe ronaldo is playing due to injuries. Ronaldo is playing because he threw his toys out the pram, ten hag tried putting his foot down, but then felt the backlash from Ronaldo fanboys and sycophants in the media, couldn't handle it and now feels compelled to start him out of fear which is weak management and leadership. Imagine making a captain out of a player who thinks of you as a subordinate.

As for Donny, everyone and their mothers' knows he done. He did nothing mid week to show he was deserving of a start today. Nothing. Fred was the more ideal candidate for against a emery team who are always compact. Donny is not combative, neither is erikson, both of those two are technical creative players, you can't expect to have one holding midfielder and two creative players who barely competent defensively to do a job away from home.

I'm not into the expected goal bs, I could see with my own eyes villa had more devastating chances to kill us off and make it another Brentford score line. And I saw from the start from how we were set up that we were about to get washed by Villa.

I can see the fantasy football managers are out in force tonight. We still have gaping holes in the squad and the manager is being forced to make decisions he’d probably ideally wouldn’t make. We’re still a few good signings etc from being anywhere near where we want to be and no manager will change that.

He could have easily accommodated Rashford up top garnacho on the left and elanga on the right. When I saw ronaldo starting I knew we were going to be toothless up front as all he does is wait in the box for service and doesn't both linking up or holding the ball up up front.

And I don't believe ronaldo is playing due to injuries. Ronaldo is playing because he threw his toys out the pram, ten hag tried putting his foot down, but then felt the backlash from Ronaldo fanboys and sycophants in the media, couldn't handle it and now feels compelled to start him out of fear which is weak management and leadership. Imagine making a captain out of a player who thinks of you as a subordinate.

As for Donny, everyone and their mothers' knows he done. He did nothing mid week to show he was deserving of a start today. Nothing. Fred was the more ideal candidate for against a emery team who are always compact. Donny is not combative, neither is erikson, both of those two are technical creative players, you can't expect to have one holding midfielder and two creative players who barely competent defensively to do a job away from home.

I'm not into the expected goal bs, I could see with my own eyes villa had more devastating chances to kill us off and make it another Brentford score line. And I saw from the start from how we were set up that we were about to get washed by Villa.
Elanga is a championship quality young player. Garnacho is an 18 year old making his debut. Who in their right mind would start both of them away to a tough team? Nobody is doing this.

Come on :lol: You can't be serous? You can't see that Martial, Sancho, Antony have all been out? That Bruno was suspended today? That's just an absolutely ridiculous statement to make. Ten Hag has shown very clearly what Ronaldo is. The 5th choice attacker. It's that simple. If 3 of those are out, then the 5th and 6th choice attackers will play.

You really don’t know what you’re talking about if you ask me

Manager takes over a sinking ship, does a hell of a lot of good but shows he's not 100% perfect, like everyone else is. We're doomed ah tell ya. Doomed.

He is not pragmatic enough for my liking, looks so rigid and dogmatic in his plans even if they are not working out.
Ironic considering I've seen it be said that he is too pragmatic.

The latter part of your post here is nonsense because he did in mid-week. Went to a 3,3,3,1 formation. It didn't work but he changed things around.

Is Fred injured? Because that's the most baffling decision to me. After a run of him starting (Omonia, Newcastle, Tottenham) where we had good control of the midfield he's suddenly been dropped for Van De Beek of all players.

Just looking at the line up before the game it was obvious we were in trouble.

He is not pragmatic enough for my liking, looks so rigid and dogmatic in his plans even if they are not working out.

Very odd criticism for someone who tried using Harry Maguire as a centre-forward in our last game.

Is Fred injured? Because that's the most baffling decision to me. After a run of him starting (Omonia, Newcastle, Tottenham) where we had good control of the midfield he's suddenly been dropped for Van De Beek of all players.

Just looking at the line up before the game it was obvious we were in trouble.
Was abysmal against Newcastle and I think that cost him his place. Don’t recall an injury.

And you should feel apprehensive about the first season for any new manager, particularly one tasked with sorting out the goat rodeo mess that is Manchester United. But he clearly has something about him, and prior to today, we've actually been on a pretty impressive run.
I'm a big ten Hag fan but today was a mess and this kind of result has been coming with recent performances.

Where do you expect us to be though? Do you expect us to play great attacking football with no Antony, Sancho, martial and Bruno, only a few months into his time here, where he hasnt been able to get squad players that he actually likes?

Ronaldo as captain yeah I don't like that, not sure how that's decided but other than that, it's not exactly a surprise to lose away to a team like villa with their first game after hiring Emery who is a very good defensive manager, after having 5 key players absent or unavailable to start (and pushing another out of position so the 18 year old isn't out of position). We are months into his tenure. Not years. It's ridiculous to expect us to be able to navigate a game like today, with an actual great performance. Sure we might grind out a win sometimes, but it was never going to be a pretty performance today. They scored a screamer and their first chance early, so it was always an uphill battle.
For us not to approach the game with so much complacency. Ten Hag is an experienced manager, he should've known the Villa players will have been highly motivated so we needed to see out the first 15-20 minutes and build into the game. We did the absolute opposite and embarrassed ourselves.

He needs to be more reactive with his substitutions, it was blatantly evident van de Beek offered nothing and our midfield was being overran and bypassed with ease, we needed an extra body in there.

Faith in him a bit loosened today with his bizarre doubling down on Ronaldo, continuing to keep him on until the bitter end yet again and letting him take the captaincy after all the shit he’s pulled.

It’s a nearly impossible situation he’s been handed, but I’d prefer a balanced approach rather than the “all in” route.

Hopefully with Martial fit again he might displace Ronny but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Ten Hag still starts Ronaldo against Fulham.

The lack of squad depth and rotation is gonna bite us in the ass. January window gonna be crucial for our season.

Status
Not open for further replies.