Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame you for anything. I just tell you, that your understanding of a "balanced post" will provoke people. Which in the end could lead to the things I mentioned. Not because I hope so, but because it has been like this in the Ole days. And in a world, where you consider your advice as balanced, I consider myself as not negative.

Lets not pollute the thread any longer. Take half a minute to think through what I said and then do whatever you feel is right.
:lol:

Lads, it turns out if you hire a coach that isn't past it and knows what they're doing, we might get better! Shock!

So encouarging tonight. One of our most complete performances in....wow. I don't even know.

Once he brings us top 4 this season, he should win coach of the season. No manager can do what he did, having so many players leave buying the right players and playing attractive football. I don't think any players will turn us down after this season. Players will come because they sense we can start winning again. I can see us beating City when they come to OT. I wouldn't be surprise if we dominated City as well.

He vindicated the club for not hiring Conte last season like so many pundits shouted for, absolutely played them off the park today and that's a very good Spurs side.

Fred is another player touched by ten Hag magic hand. Those driving run and energy. At times, I could see a bit of Neeskens play in him.

Fred is another player touched by ten Hag magic hand. Those driving run and energy. At times, I could see a bit of Neeskens play in him.
Umm did you watch us under Ralf?

Also, obviously I forgive it, but watching Case now with a run of games under his belt just shows how criminal/naive it was of ETH to not start him in that game. Likely wouldn’t have changed the result but def would’ve changed the manner in which we lost. Casemiro is even better than I thought he was going to be and fair play to ETH for playing him in a system that suits him.

Umm did you watch us under Ralf?

Also, obviously I forgive it, but watching Case now with a run of games under his belt just shows how criminal/naive it was of ETH to not start him in that game. Likely wouldn’t have changed the result but def would’ve changed the manner in which we lost. Casemiro is even better than I thought he was going to be and fair play to ETH for playing him in a system that suits him.

Yes, Sir. I did watch United under RR. I still think this was the best game Fred has had for years.

I don't blame EtH to not starting Case against City. At that point, McTom had been better than Case. Anyway, with the resurrection of Casemiro, having him and Fred + Bruno/Eriksen is actually doable.

Those are an awful lot of shots to have such a low xG.

Quite a few shots were from outside the box, but still we had quite a few good chances, so surprised to see the xG low like that. Will wait to see what other sources have xG at, could be higher

So Brentford, Brighton, City, Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal, Sociedad, Saints, you saw this outline in these 8/13 games? I tell me what about those games resembled this?

Could throw in Newcastle also. How were these games similar to this exactly since it was MOST games and I'm willfully ignorant

I absolutely saw this outline in those games. I said it at that time. I was impressed by our control and lack of danger from these teams, how we defended farther away from our box proactively in our half but away from the box.

Of course I also loved how we dominated Newcastle possession and territory wise in the 2nd half.

Sorry, but adding "home" to that, and making it top 3 instead of the normal top 4 makes it a very contrived stat - Ole beat City multiple times, who were always 1st or 2nd, and had wins vs Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea, and I'm sure they were around the top 4.

What a brilliant performance. I was smiling at the end of first half even though we didn't score. Just the dominance and aggression over a top top team and manager was brilliant. This doesn't seem one off but shows strength of a system even without key players in midfield this season.

Last edited:
I think the players have a lot of respect for ten Hag because he’s keeping them all on there toes and he’s picking them based on form… like Luke Shaw said that wasn’t the case under previous managers, there was no standards and you could play awful and still stay in the starting 11 the next game. Love Ten Hag, he’s building something special!

I think the players have a lot of respect for ten Hag because he’s keeping them all on there toes and he’s picking them based on form… like Luke Shaw said that wasn’t the case under previous managers, there was no standards and you could play awful and still stay in the starting 11 the next game. Love Ten Hag, he’s building something special!

Ole was interested in other metrics like how much they smiled and their nationality.

Ole was interested in other metrics like how much they smiled and their nationality.
100%. No wonder the players started disrespecting and not playing for him. Playing Maguire week in and week out when he’s been atrocious is not sending the right message to the rest of the squad, I bet they felt like they couldn’t do anything to get into the starting 11.

There is no doubt that he is the boss and the player listen and follow him. First manager since Fergie and I love his tough way with dealing with some players

I love that he's realistic and not super reactionary.

In the post match interview, he said he was obviously happy about our performance but surprised by how Spurs played as he expected more from them. It would have been easy to jump on the feel good vibes and ignore that whilst we were great tonight, it won't go like this all the time as Spurs were awful.
Agreed. It would have been easy to get carried away with that performance but he remains grounded and knows there is still a lot work to be done.

He also said that the team is still improving and the players are getting more familiar with the system, and this match against Spurs is the new "base" to build from. Paraphrased, of course. Can't wait to see our top level performances when the team is drilled to ETH's expectations and he has the players he wants in the positions he wants them to be in.

Very happy with him so far. While we started out poorly and will still probably have some poor results, he showed that he's a very adaptable coach and doesn't just stick to his guns all the time. We probably played in 5 different ways this season and especially at home we are incredibly tough to beat.

Benching Ronaldo, Maguire and Shaw shows that he has guts, while knowing what is needed to win. I also love the fact how he knows it's not been anywhere near perfect yet.

Reactions: Cheimoon
This manager has massively high standards. I love after each game even after the domination last night he said good is not good enough, we have to do better. That is someone who won’t accept anything less then 110% every week.

Yesterday Proved exactly why Fred is not good enough.

Lack of quality on the ball, never really penetrating passed from deep, always wants an extra touch or second to set the ball out of his feet, can go in the summer for me, rather give opportunities to the kids who are on the way up.

Fred is a Jekyll and Hyde character, but last night is when what I was suggesting works.

He vindicated the club for not hiring Conte last season like so many pundits shouted for, absolutely played them off the park today and that's a very good Spurs side.

And Spurs rejecting him

What a brilliant performance. I was smiling at the end of first half even though we didn't score. Just the dominance and aggression over a top top team and manager was brilliant. This doesn't seem one off but shows strength of a system even without key players in midfield this season.
Same here. I even said in the match thread that even if we lose I'm still very happy.

If you think about the fact we missed two key players in Eriksen and Martial it's even sweeter. God please make the scumbags at the top buy him a new striker in Jan.

If this was the previous years before Ten Hag, had City scored 6 goals against us our mentality would crumble.
I don't see it this time. It's clear to see the players understand it's a process worth fighting for and they get better over time.

All of the players (except from Sancho and Ronaldo, who apparently can't keep up with the intensity) have vastly improved.
Next step will be to find a second choice RB (Dalot has been playing too much), and probably give van de Beek a go every now and then. I feel he would do well in this system.
Absolutely delighted to have Ten Hag.

The signings he's made have really improved the team. They all have the right mentality and are willing to fight and work hard, rather than let their heads drop and give up. It can only have a positive effect on those around them. Mentality has been our biggest weakness for a long time and has led to a culture of laziness and entitlement. Ten Hag appears to have made a lot of progress already in improving that.

I like the way he handles criticism and drama. He shows he's the boss without resorting to throwing players under the bus or fueling the fire. He's not afraid to drop players for poor performance either which is nice to see. Overall I'm impressed with him and I'm optimistic about our future with him in charge. If he's able to fill the weaknesses in the team with a few more quality signings next summer we should have a really great team.

Malacia has been refreshing but the big money signings are imo underwhelming. Casemiro has been mostly rubbish and Martinez and Antony positive but considering that they've eaten 150m+ of our budget I expected a bigger impact. Antony obviously was much more needed, but the money spent on Martinez I think would have been better invested on a striker.

This post is already ageing badly, can't wait to see how it looks in a few months.

All the signings have been amazing.
Especially Martinez and Antony.

I don’t think I’ve been this fond of a Utd manager since Fergie.

We are starting to see the Ten Hag way of playing. Keep the ball and win it back very early. I thought the press was very brave, we had 4 players pressing their CB's at one point.

I was very impressed with how we controlled the game and the tempo.

Status
Not open for further replies.