Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant worries me with his early performances, last night we was fantastic and hopefully it's just an adaptation period.
It's clear to me that he was lacking match sharpness at the start of the season as he hadn't trained much during the summer. He's been excellent last few games.

We finally have a manager with proper authority. No one is bigger than the club. ETH has a lot to do and entertaining Ronaldo’s attitude should not be one of them! Very good decision to drop him from the team. He is not a team player and thus doesn’t deserve to be part of the group. ETH has shown that he has the potential to lead this team, results are improving, players are stepping up and decisions like this just makes it clear that he has character.

I think he might've overestimated Ronaldo's level before coming to United. I doubt he expected this level of unprofessionalism from him.

A lot of us expected him to be toxic and that's why we were desperate for him to go but I definitely didn't expect it to get this bad quickly.

Gaining a lot of respect for Ten Hag in how he is dealing with the toxic Ronaldo situation and how the team’s approach has come on.

Well done, ETH. I bet the social media Ronaldo fanboys that support the player more than the club, are gutted.

When you think about it, what a fecking huge moment in Ten Hags legacy this is. Punting out one of the all time best players. The correct decision of course, but it's a huge dick swinging move. Love it.

What so many managers lack is the understanding that the players all know who deserves to start week in and week out. They know who's earned it..and they even know when they are the ones that haven't and deserve to be dropped. Players actually prefer this massively...even it means they are the ones dropped...because its creates a system of fairness and ,even more basically, means the best team is always out on the pitch. You can tell the players are responding to it here as ETH has masterfully created this already.

Reactions: Cheimoon
The way he has managed your dressing room and how much the players are adapting to his tactics, this manager is special. Perhaps not Pep or Klopp special yet, but he is on his way.
Very impressive

What so many managers lack is the understanding that the players all know who deserves to start week in and week out. They know who's earned it..and they even know when they are the ones that haven't and deserve to be dropped. Players actually prefer this massively...even it means they are the ones dropped...because its creates a system of fairness and ,even more basically, means the best team is always out on the pitch. You can tell the players are responding to it here as ETH has masterfully created this already.

Top post and EtH is well known in Cloggland for always trying to pick the best team available. Players love playing under ten Hag.

Wouldn't it be crazy if keeping Ronaldo this summer was the ultimate tool for ETH to solidly take the reins of the club?

We all thought keeping Ronaldo would create problems for him...but maybe its this exact show of authority that will bring this team together and move us higher. In which case do we thank Ronaldo for...being Ronaldo?

He set our squad on fire in a very good way, his personality seems contagious and the dressing room is behind him for sure.

It was the only sensible decision to make and ETH acted accordingly and without fuss. Ronaldo clearly was sulking last night and he doesn’t merit a place in the squad based on his recent performances. ETH has addressed the problems concerning form massively and in doing so, has helped instil balance and composure in the side. I’m sure the players appreciate the selection process too, as it means that they can now focus their energy working on their fitness and technique as mentioned in a previous post.

1000% behind ETH on this. Ronaldo had 2 choices: a) be a role model and accept a lesser field role, or b) be a brat. He opted for b, thanksfully ETH is showing his middle finger.

Wouldn't it be crazy if keeping Ronaldo this summer was the ultimate tool for ETH to solidly take the reins of the club?

We all thought keeping Ronaldo would create problems for him...but maybe its this exact show of authority that will bring this team together and move us higher. In which case do we thank Ronaldo for...being Ronaldo?

4D chess checkmate move by EtH :drool:

He’s found himself in a great position in the table now. He’s done really well considering we lost our first two. The Chelsea game now is a must not lose instead of a must win. They still have to play pool and city. If we get a draw there this weekend (i think we’ll win) then that puts us in a really good spot for top 4.

Lets hope when we hit a rough patch and we will during this rebuild the fans stand behind him. He has drawn lines in the sand with respect to how he expects us to play and how we act and we can see the progress.

Lets hope when we hit a rough patch and we will during this rebuild the fans stand behind him. He has drawn lines in the sand with respect to how he expects us to play and how we act and we can see the progress.

We got utterly annihilated at City, and scraped a couple of other wins against minnows, plus couldn't see Newcastle off.
It hasn't all been magic, but any fan with sense can see it's the start of a very exciting period.

this whole episode with the petulant man-child will only strengthen him at this club. We finally have another manager who has the right attitude, personality and authority.

Back him at any cost.

In the history of football, the most CL trophies won by a manager were 4 times, and the rest of the best managers the football world has known only known it twice or once in their entire career. To consider Pep not winning it more than two times in his history as a failure is a ridiculous level of standards that if anything proves that people want to invent anything to bash him with and ignore his massive success.

CL is a cup competition and in 2 legs games anything can happen. I have seen worse teams won in undeservedly multiple times. Chelsea won it in 2012 despite being the worst one among the semi-final back then and it showed later in the next CL, UEFA Super Cup and CWC which they lost all of them embarrassingly. That's what a club competition is.

You're basing your entire opinion on him not winning one competition, one ! And ignoring all his other achievements. And you're asking why is CL overrated ?

As for the head record between Klopp and Pep, Ferguson had only defeated Mourinho twice in his career out of 14 matches. Does that mean anything ?

Finally, I don't get why Zidane is involved in this. Guy has only managed one team in his life. When he manages another team, we can start this comparison.
Bizarre take. You’re in a very small minority of people who feel the Champions League ISN’T the premier club competition in the world. I think it’s certainly relevant in a discussion about best managers, players, etc. I’ve said my piece about Pep being a great manager, but a bit over rated as he doesn’t have any additional CL titles and he is an absolute purist, and sometimes his devotion to his principles has hurt him in the final stages of the CL. I suppose we can just agree to disagree. To be clear, I think Pep is a great manager, but I don’t think he’s the best ever, and there is an argument that Klopp, Ancelotti and Zidane are at least his equal.

this whole episode with the petulant man-child will only strengthen him at this club. We finally have another manager who has the right attitude, personality and authority.

Back him at any cost.

Yup. Glad the club is backing him. He's shown a firm hand when dealing with the man-child.

Our own SAF won 2 CLs. Does that make Zidane a better manager than him for winning 3? Of course not. The CL is a lottery where not always the best team wins. Granted Guardiola is sometimes his own worst enemy like his team choice that started the CL final against Chelsea but he's revolutionised the PL with his style of play and I very much doubt any manager in world football could play at such a high standard for so long given the same money as Guardiola has been given. We've found out at a very heavy cost that splashing silly money on players doesn't guarantee success. Klopp is the nearest thing to competing against Pep but I'd still put Pep half a tier above him, 1 tier above Conte, Mou or Ancelotti and 2 tiers above Zidane.
That’s fair. I disagree. Obviously, all of this is subjective. Since Zidane took over at Real until now (Jan 2016) they have spent 772m on new players, and generated 787m in player sales for a net profit of 15m. They have 3 La Liga titles and 4 CL titles. Coincidentally, Pep joined City in roughly the same time period, so their first transfer windows were the summer of 2016. Since then, City has spent 1.344 billion on new players and made 632m on player sales for a net spend of 712m. They’ve won the PL four times and the FA Cup once. Obviously, you’d take Real’s results over City’s. One less league title and 4 CLs while posting a profit on player transfers? Wow. Viewed through this lens, Pep doesn’t look like the greatest manager ever, does he?

The CL is a lottery… well, is it? Klopp’s been to 3 finals, won one, while Pep has been at City. In fact, since Pep has been at City, Real has won 4x, Liverpool 1, Bayern 1 and Chelsea 1. The only one you could say was a lesser club maybe would be Chelsea, but Tuchel had a perfect tactical set up and beat Pep and City… If anything, the winners of the CL the last 20 years have been top top clubs. Porto won in 2004, that was the last surprise winner.

I’ll say it again… If Pep is the greatest coach/manager ever, or even better than his contemporaries, why the lack of CL titles despite unprecedented financial support from the club?

That’s fair. I disagree. Obviously, all of this is subjective. Since Zidane took over at Real until now (Jan 2016) they have spent 772m on new players, and generated 787m in player sales for a net profit of 15m. They have 3 La Liga titles and 4 CL titles. Coincidentally, Pep joined City in roughly the same time period, so their first transfer windows were the summer of 2016. Since then, City has spent 1.344 billion on new players and made 632m on player sales for a net spend of 712m. They’ve won the PL four times and the FA Cup once. Obviously, you’d take Real’s results over City’s. One less league title and 4 CLs while posting a profit on player transfers? Wow. Viewed through this lens, Pep doesn’t look like the greatest manager ever, does he?

The CL is a lottery… well, is it? Klopp’s been to 3 finals, won one, while Pep has been at City. In fact, since Pep has been at City, Real has won 4x, Liverpool 1, Bayern 1 and Chelsea 1. The only one you could say was a lesser club maybe would be Chelsea, but Tuchel had a perfect tactical set up and beat Pep and City… If anything, the winners of the CL the last 20 years have been top top clubs. Porto won in 2004, that was the last surprise winner.

I’ll say it again… If Pep is the greatest coach/manager ever, or even better than his contemporaries, why the lack of CL titles despite unprecedented financial support from the club?
The EPL is the greatest and most competitive league out there. Pep came in and set a new standard of 90 plus points to win and regularly scoring 100 goals. He could have got more CL in his time but when a club has never won it before, there is absolutely a psychological barrier, the same one that PSG face. This is heightened by the fact they have superb rich owners and have spent a lot. Real Madrid are an elite club, and even in poor seasons in the league, still won it. They have 10 plus trophies in there history. Let's also add that Pep helped set a new standard in La Liga too, 100 plus goals and 95 plus points to win. His win percentage is out of this world and barely loses. He has inherited and spent a lot on players but he still needs to deliver, which he does. I think Fergie is the greatest manager ever given the time frame he had but I think Pep will replace him in 10 years. I am curious on his next move, maybe he goes to Italy, im think AC Milan with there latest takeover and destroys that league with new standards. Zidane is a great manager, he knows Madrid inside out but he needs to do it over more years. Ancoloti has won the most CL out of any manager, that does not make him the best ever, he certainly is up there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.