Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The performances are on the up. He's got far more right than wrong thus far. Temperament and attitude being instilled in the players is brilliant. Think once the club gets rid of Ronaldo the team will go up another level.

For those who have asking questions about patterns of play, i really hope the Tottenham game satisfies you.

That's what was so infuriating for me about Ole's reign. All we were hearing is it's a process that'll take years. The best managers don't take years to turn things around on the pitch and the system ETH wants to implement has been there from the beginning. Tonight it just came together in one perfect glimpse of what's to come.

The days of being gaslit by the Ole zealots are long gone now :angel:

I love that he's realistic and not super reactionary.

In the post match interview, he said he was obviously happy about our performance but surprised by how Spurs played as he expected more from them. It would have been easy to jump on the feel good vibes and ignore that whilst we were great tonight, it won't go like this all the time as Spurs were awful.

Blips are blips. It's never going to be a perfect run of results when a new Manager comes in who wants to change a lot. Ralf Rangnick managed 7 cleans sheets in 29 games. Clearly we're doing better in defense this year if we've already managed 5 in 13. It's not all doom and gloom, there are promising shoots popping up. Just need to stay patient and not freak out when we don't win every game.

6 clean sheets in 14 now.

Glad he has finally moved on from the 4-2-3-1 to something that gets our midfielders all in more natural roles.

Needs to bring in a striker and get rid of more deadwood.

board should be backing him to the fullest in the next few windows. Glazers need to continue spending or feck off and sell the club to an owner who can.

Great to finally have someone im really confident can take us up a level, even if there are bumps in his first season.
As for conte - he is literally mourinho but slightly less successful and also younger so a few years behind the downward curve.

There'll be a few opposition managers not liking the look of this current United. They've had several years of shite United who could be easily be taken apart and outfought all over the pitch.

Now they look up and see Casemiro, Martinez, Antony, Varane, Eriksen, Fred, Shaw etc all looking like they're up for a fight.

It's been pretty evident since the Liverpool game. You could see it in games, against Leicester for instance, just sadly not for 90 minutes.

How anyone can say the ball retention and movement hasn't improved compared to the past few years is mind boggling. Yes the attack is still wasteful but that'll come good when we get a proper number 9.

Exactly. This performance hasn’t just come out of the blue. We’ve been building up to it, first putting in the basics that you need to be able to play like today eg better defence, better more controlled midfield play.

People just need to be patient. Performances like this maybe won't come every week but we will get better and better.

Just get a striker in asap.

Nice to see his signings working (even Malacia has lit a fire under Shaw and looks like he'll be a decent backup in a year or two).

If you figure he rates Bruno and one of Sancho/Garnacho/Rashford comes good at LW, he could sign a 9, a CM, a GK, backups at CB and RB (with Cristiano, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka leaving) and we could have a really solid team, and that seems like a plausible summer financially of 3 starters and 2 backups considering De Gea, Cristiano and Maguire are on massive wages which should all go down for their spots, with wage increases from the CM signing only.

If we play like that, We have a chance of beating anyone. I'm so happy we got him.

Hag ball :drool:

the-one-he-is-the-one.gif

That's what was so infuriating for me about Ole's reign. All we were hearing is it's a process that'll take years. The best managers don't take years to turn things around on the pitch and the system ETH wants to implement has been there from the beginning. Tonight it just came together in one perfect glimpse of what's to come.

I think the key with these thing is two fold:
1. Does the manager have a good set of principles and ideas of how he wants to approach football?
2. Can you see the players attempting those ideas and trying to put them to use during matches

#1 should be assessed before you ever hire someone. #2 should be seen somewhat quickly even if it isn't effective at first. I thought you could clearly see even in preseason the seeds of where players are supposed to be on the pitch and how they want to progress with/without the ball. The most infuriating thing playing under Ole is that no one seemed to have a plan of how to play out of the back when pressed high. It was like Ole told them "don't hoof it, play out from the back" but didn't actually give them set ideas of how he wants them to accomplish that. So every fecking time we'd play a high press team we'd have to survive by the skin of our teeth or lose while being dominated in our own half unless we scored early.

Exactly. This performance hasn’t just come out of the blue. We’ve been building up to it, first putting in the basics that you need to be able to play like today eg better defence, better more controlled midfield play.

for a guy like me who doesnt know tactical & technical aspects of football, the games are "enjoyable + watchable" again, even when we get a frustrating draw. For me that was never the case w/ Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, or Ole. We are on the right track & we wont get consistent results but we will be there come next season. I trust him to make the right choices or logical choices to replenish the squad.

Reactions: Cheimoon
I love to know which areas he thinks need strengthening the most and who his preferred targets are, hope we back him in jan if the opportunity arises.

Also we got very lucky with the timing of his appointment because being one year late might have meant him ending up at somewhere like barcelona at the rate their going or maybe even Chelsea.

I love to know which areas he thinks need strengthening the most and who his preferred targets are, hope we back him in jan if the opportunity arises.
I mean every man and their dog will guess that a CF is our most pressing priority. More so now that our bench warming manchild is tossing his dummies out.

Also we got very lucky with the timing of his appointment because being one year late might have meant him ending up at somewhere like barcelona at the rate their going or maybe even Chelsea.

Think it's pretty obviously keeper and striker judging by what he wanted last summer, along with another ball carrying midfielder. Which is absolutely spot on for me as well

Although we got the highest attempted, there seems to be a common theme against Conte’s spurs this season. Opponents are clocking on to the fact spurs drop deep and don’t press you on the edge of their own box which invites teams to shoot from long range. Arsenal did the same and found success with Partey’s goal.

Well done to Murtough + Arnold et all. He's turned this team around. Hopefully they let him get rid of Ronaldo and anyone else he wants rid of now.

We are slowly getting there by April we will probably be fully playing Ten Hag ball. Pity there is a world Cup in between.

Malacia has been refreshing but the big money signings are imo underwhelming. Casemiro has been mostly rubbish and Martinez and Antony positive but considering that they've eaten 150m+ of our budget I expected a bigger impact. Antony obviously was much more needed, but the money spent on Martinez I think would have been better invested on a striker.
Jesus Christ! What were you expecting from the new signings, Ballon d'Or candidates?

Status
Not open for further replies.