Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously I think his first season will look terrible on paper, but if we get a few minutes of this sort of aggressive flyid play after years of dross... he'll have my support no matter what happens.

Yeah, just signs that we are making progress in our play and starting to play in his manner (some of the stuff that Ajax played in CL was mouthwatering). Like for example, Klopp first season, he finished 8th, but you could see team moving in the right direction with some great football at times (4-3 win against Dortmund at Anfield, easily dealing with us before that, 6-0 against Villa etc).

That's pretty much what I hope, don't care about top 4 one bit, just show us a bit of exacting football and that we are moving forward. God knows we deserved some of that after this shit 10 years.

Think we need to curb our expectations a little. The man will have to restructure our whole approach to the game on the pitch, it could get worse before it gets better as he identifies the players that can play that style, get rid of the ones that can't etc.

This is an unreal announcement though, first time in a while I'm genuinely excited for a manager. Even if we don't win, you can at least bet we'll be great to watch eventually.

Top coaches have quick impacts.

That's not to say we'll compete for the title next season but we should be distinctly better than this season.

Look at Palace as a prime example.

Old squad, lots of experienced players leaving on a free, inexperienced manager, yet Vieira has completely changed their style of play, reached an FA Cup semifinal and they've done well in the league. Many people expected them to struggle this season.

We should expect massive improvement from the very first pre-season game.

Reactions: Cheimoon

That's not to say we'll compete for the title next season but we should be distinctly better than this season.

Old squad, lots of experienced players leaving on a free, inexperienced manager, yet Vieira has completely changed their style of play, reached an FA Cup semifinal and they've done well in the league. Many people expected them to struggle this season.

SAF and Klopp didn't. It really depends on what you inherit and the resources given to tackle it.

SAF was a completely different era and Klopp did make a quick impact and would have been quicker were it not for injuries.

Like for example, Klopp first season, he finished 8th, but you could see team moving in the right direction with some great football at times (4-3 win against Dortmund at Anfield, easily dealing with us before that, 6-0 against Villa etc).

Didn't Klopp joined mid season though?

I'm willing to give ETH a lot of leeway and a finish outside top four would be fine by me. Don't know about finishing 8th though. Depends on the investment I guess

Yeah, just signs that we are making progress in our play and starting to play in his manner (some of the stuff that Ajax played in CL was mouthwatering). Like for example, Klopp first season, he finished 8th, but you could see team moving in the right direction with some great football at times (4-3 win against Dortmund at Anfield, easily dealing with us before that, 6-0 against Villa etc).

That's pretty much what I hope, don't care about top 4 one bit, just show us a bit of exacting football and that we are moving forward. God knows we deserved some of that after this shit 10 years.
This was also in an era just before the football we have now so it was difficult to find the players he needed. Now the entire league presses and runs in midfield with front 3s etc so it short theoretically be an easier job for us to jump a standing start.
If Ten Hag joins 5 years ago with our current squad I think we beg Pogba to stay, we are ecstatic about having a 25 goal striker up top etc. Hell we were playing modern football with the 08 team which was even harder for SAF to assemble.

Didn't Klopp joined mid season though?

I'm willing to give ETH a lot of leeway and a finish outside top four would be fine by me. Don't know about finishing 8th though. Depends on the investment I guess

He did, but you could see his impact very soon. Something like Tuchel.

Pep struggled more actually in his 1st season which will probably be the case with ten Hag as his style is more demanding with positional play and so much interchanging while dominating possession. The thing is also, will our current bunch run and press as we don't look suited for that either atm. You can't replace them many in one window.

But, think it will be fine tbh. Small steps and all that.

He did, but you could see his impact very soon. Something like Tuchel.

Pep struggled more actually in his 1st season which will probably be the case with ten Hag as his style is more demanding with positional play and so much interchanging while dominating possession. The thing is also, will our current bunch run and press as we don't look suited for that either atm. You can't replace them many in one window.

But, think it will be fine tbh. Small steps and all that.

Even with Pep in his first season, the signs were there. They finished third that year but did better in the expected-stats type metrics (1st for xG, 2nd for xGA, 1st for xPTS) and you could see those hints when you watched them play too.

Though for all the changes Pep made, City were in a better place with their squad when he took over than we are.

Though for all the changes Pep made, City were in a better place with their squad when he took over than we are.

Yep, no one can convince me that for example De Bruyne didn't come before Pep arrived without his blessing. Basically, Txiki already started shaping that team for Pep. And he still needed like an extra billion going forward.

Even with Pep in his first season, the signs were there. They finished third that year but did better in the expected-stats type metrics (1st for xG, 2nd for xGA, 1st for xPTS) and you could see those hints when you watched them play too.

Just to add to this as I missed it. Yeah, you can only go back to that first Manchester Derby at Old Trafford when they already looked like Guardiola team. And we looked like Mourinho team tbf too.

I mean, if you can't get behind the new manager the day after his appointment... I have nothing to say. Its literally the least you could do as a supporter.
You can express your question marks and still get behind the manager. I thought for a few years that Pogba was a traitor ( proven right) but i would only get behind him when he pulls on the jersey. You can still support the club and express a loathing of the ownership/hierarchy. It really isn't contradictory.

The football decisions ( decisions by bankers) have long been sops to fans. That is the same now. I have grave doubts that he is the right choice especially when there is no sign that the decision makers who have failed the club for nearly a decade now are going anywhere. Better men with actual experience in top level football have failed.

I would have got in Poch before he went to PSG, Tuchel before Chelsea nabbed him or Conte before Spurs. We have dithered over appointing managers and always got it wrong.
I think there are managers in the Prem right now who have a greater experience than Ten Hag. They include Moyes, who I think is far better equipped to deal with a big club now than then. Also Potter at Brighton, Rodgers at Leicester and Hassenhuttl at Southampton. To name but a few.

Ten Hag is another sop for the fans like Ole. Appointed as a popular choice and not necessarily the right one.

Having said that i really do hope he is a success. He has his work cut out.

:lol:

Playing the way Palace play and trying to implement a progressive possession based game isn't really the same thing

I surely expect us to improve but we won't be the finished article in a season

I hope he get a 2-3 Ajax players and 1-2 that played for him. That will make his job easier as they know exactly what he wants e.g. Antony, Ryan Gravenberch, Haller (I know he didn't do well in EPL but he has experience and could excel) and Frankie De Jong would be fantastic signing. If De Light is available, Maguire can be sold to fund this. I would see we will already look attractive on paper.

I hope he get a 2-3 Ajax players and 1-2 that played for him. That will make his job easier as they know exactly what he wants e.g. Antony, Ryan Gravenberch, Haller (I know he didn't do well in EPL but he has experience and could excel) and Frankie De Jong would be fantastic signing. If De Light is available, Maguire can be sold to fund this. I would see we will already look attractive on paper.
He joining Bayern I think.

Playing the way Palace play and trying to implement a progressive possession based game isn't really the same thing

I surely expect us to improve but we won't be the finished article in a season

Eh?

Palace averaged 42.9% (18th) possession last season , this season they've averaged 50.2% (9th).

They've also improved their passes per defensive action (best measure of pressing) from 16.14 (18th) to 11.94 (8th).

We're not going to be the finished article but there is no reason why Ten Hag couldn't have a similar impact here.

You can express your question marks and still get behind the manager. I thought for a few years that Pogba was a traitor ( proven right) but i would only get behind him when he pulls on the jersey. You can still support the club and express a loathing of the ownership/hierarchy. It really isn't contradictory.

The football decisions ( decisions by bankers) have long been sops to fans. That is the same now. I have grave doubts that he is the right choice especially when there is no sign that the decision makers who have failed the club for nearly a decade now are going anywhere. Better men with actual experience in top level football have failed.
One of them (Woodward) has already left. Murtogh and Fletcher are making football decisions. And there are signs (although small) that change is happening.

Tbh unlike us now, pre-Klopp Liverpool was still a club where younger players did improve and go on to do well. Sterling and Suarez left better players, and the likes of Sturridge and Coutinho peaked there as well. Contrast that to United now where we seem to ruin players. So while its a painful truth, I don't think its unfair to suggest that we're not exactly a great place for younger players to come in. Of course we hope that changes under ETH, but Carragher wasn't wrong here. He was also slightly quoted out of context from his Telegraph article since he was talking about United over the last few years, he wasn't suggesting young players avoid United in the future under ETH.
Still a nob head

being wary is one thing; busting out premature (and moronic) labels like Ten Hack is quite another .

He has a difficult rebuilding job to do.

I hope the board backs him, but without CL, I doubt we will have that much money to spend.

Really don't understand why we don't conduct contract negotiations during the summer instead of during the season. He had a few years left on his deal ffs.

Matt Judge is clueless.

Genuinely want him to throw the kids into the mix next season. Only way of connecting fans to the first team. Even if we miss out on CL two years on a row it’ll be worth it

Crucially City were essentially preparing for Pep's arrival for a long while before he turned up, by signing players that fit the Pep profile, appointing Pep's pal Txiki Begiristain as the sporting director etc. They spent a lot of money and effort to ensure a smooth transition when it happened.

Meanwhile at United, we have a squad assembled by five managers and a banker who wouldn't be able to identify a football out of a lineup. It will take ten Hag years to turn this around, and that's with the huge assumption that United are prepared to make the necessary structural changes.

Bit of a strange take considering he’s expected to take up a consultancy role and help ETH rebuild the club.
Ralf can feck off. He’s been a cancer since coming in, which is a real accomplishment considering he’s the manager.

Of the current squad, this is who I think we should keep based on the ability to move forward with the tactics that ETH will employ.

Varane
Shaw
Fred
Bruno (only just)
VDB
Sancho
Ronaldo

feel bad leaving out De Gea but we absolutely need a goalkeeper who is good with their feet and De gea never will be. When he clears the ball, it almost automatically means We give the ball back to the opposition. Bruno also lucky to make this list but that’s more because he clearly isn’t going anywhere.

youngsters who should be in or around the squad

Hannibal
Garner
Garnacho

players who have to be happy playing squad roles or can leave

De Gea
Lindelof
Maguire
Dalot
Telles
Rashford
Elanga (jury’s out, probably needs a loan)

and the absolute must never play for us again list and should be sold

Pogba
Martial
Lingard
Wan Bissaka
Jones
Bailly
Henderson
Pereira
Mata
Williams

Positions we need to sign in order of priority

A modern right back who can defend
A world class partner for Varane
A holding/defensive central midfielder who doesn’t stop running
A left footed right winger
A back up striker
A modern Goalkeeper

How on earth are we supposed to get this right this summer? The expectations for next season have to be low, there’s just way too much to overhaul. We will be lucky to receive anything more than 50m in transfer fees this summer and whilst we will be getting some bigger salaries off the books, anyone joining us is going to be looking for a payday.

He said: "Make no mistake, this is not a case of getting a new manager in and everything will be brilliant again and he will create this wonderful team.

"This is about a rebuild of the club. We changed leadership at the beginning of February. Richard Arnold has started the job of CEO and it's the first CEO we have had since David Gill. He has a bit of power now to do what he thinks is right for the job and I welcome that.

"I have had lots of conversations with him about the future of Man Utd and he understands it's not about the manager, it's about restructuring and modernising the club.

"We pride ourselves on our fantastic history but at some point, we have to plan ahead. I have great faith in him and the direction he wants to take the club."
From Peter Schmeicel

Status
Not open for further replies.