Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didn't sound convincing when talking about the lack of transfer activity. Not sure who he'd blame more privately - the overpaid deadwood, his bosses, or his own poor transfers..

Personally feel all of the above are to blame along with a medical and fitness team who must have played a part in that injury crisis

We will line up against City with a worse eleven than when we played them in the final. If this is the squad on the 1st September, we are sunk.

I fully expect Mainoo, Amad and Garnacho to grow as players, but the latter two would be on the very fringes of the top squads and we will be depending on them because our experienced players aren’t good enough.

We need 3 (CB, RB, CDM) and we better get them in fast.

The generally accepted excuse or mitigating circumstance (whatever you want to call it) for last season was our injury crisis, so logically it follows that avoiding injuries this season with more or less the same squad should be expected to get us to a top four finish.

The generally accepted excuse or mitigating circumstance (whatever you want to call it) for last season was our injury crisis, so logically it follows that avoiding injuries this season with more or less the same squad should be expected to get us to a top four finish.

Yeah, i think there are improvements in the squad but that's more from within the squad than from signings.

Licha was out almost whole season, now he is back.
Shaw missed almost entire season, now he is available
Mount missed almost all season, now he is available and had preseason.
Mainoo is year older and also available from start of the season.
Amad should play prominent role, he barely played mins before Jan because of injuries and other factors
Zirkzee looks very good addition, we have 2 CFs now.

These are the areas I see clear improvement.

Some bad ones too, Casemiro and Eriksen are year older.

Yeah, i think there are improvements in the squad but that's more from within the squad than from signings.

Licha was out almost whole season, now he is back.
Shaw missed almost entire season, now he is available
Mount missed almost all season, now he is available and had preseason.
Mainoo is year older and also available from start of the season.
Amad should play prominent role, he barely played mins before Jan because of injuries and other factors
Zirkzee looks very good addition, we have 2 CFs now.

These are the areas I see clear improvement.

Some bad ones too, Casemiro and Eriksen are year older.
And there might be some good youth coming through again. I'm not following that closely, but Collyer and Amass are supposedly decent back-up, I think?
Indeed.

Also, see the press conference thread:

Ten Hag on injuries​

"Harry Maguire missed the game (vs Liverpool), was a precaution but is still a question mark for Saturday. So we have training, we have to see whether he is fit enough or not to be available. Victor [Lindelof] played but also he's a question mark and also Azza [Aaron Wan-Bissaka] and Luke Shaw are both question marks, we have to assess them tomorrow (Friday)."

Ten Hag on if Martinez will feature at Wembley​

"We think about Licha to be involved in the game."

And there might be some good youth coming through again. I'm not following that closely, but Collyer and Amass are supposedly decent back-up, I think?

I think only these 2 are in contention, with our lack of midfield and LB injury situation, these 2 should get decent amount of games.

Not sure if we have anyone who is first team ready or close to ready.

I think only these 2 are in contention, with our lack of midfield and LB injury situation, these 2 should get decent amount of games.

Not sure if we have anyone who is first team ready or close to ready.
Is that kid from Arsenal likely to get any game time this season? I think discussion on that has been confused so far. Maybe in the early rounds of the cups? But I don't suppose he can be seen as useful back-up this season just yet.

I also saw they extended the captain of the U21 team. Wouldn't you expect that kind of player to be ready for stints with the first team?

Is that kid from Arsenal likely to get any game time this season? I think discussion on that has been confused so far. Maybe in the early rounds of the cups? But I don't suppose he can be seen as useful back-up this season just yet.

I also saw they extended the captain of the U21 team. Wouldn't you expect that kind of player to be ready for stints with the first team?

I'm not really informed on the youth teams these days, there are posters with much better knowledge, like @khoazany @AltiUn @top1whoisman
They can answer on the U21 captain.

On the Arsenal kid, i would be very surprised if he plays any meaningful mins, maybe a debut and few mins just to get a feel of professional football. He looks physically strong, something that should never be underestimated. I expect few mins as a sub during last few mins of the game.

We have Hojlund, Zirkzee, Rashford, Amad, Garnacho, Mount, Bruno, Antony, Sancho who all plays in attacking positions, some of them are wingers but players like Rashford, Bruno, Sancho will be played as CF to make room for others. With such bloated squad, it's difficult to give mins even in cup games.

I'm not really informed on the youth teams these days, there are posters with much better knowledge, like @khoazany @AltiUn @top1whoisman
They can answer on the U21 captain.

On the Arsenal kid, i would be very surprised if he plays any meaningful mins, maybe a debut and few mins just to get a feel of professional football. He looks physically strong, something that should never be underestimated. I expect few mins as a sub during last few mins of the game.

We have Hojlund, Zirkzee, Rashford, Amad, Garnacho, Mount, Bruno, Antony, Sancho who all plays in attacking positions, some of them are wingers but players like Rashford, Bruno, Sancho will be played as CF to make room for others. With such bloated squad, it's difficult to give mins even in cup games.

We’ve given new short contracts to U21 players before with simply a permanent sale on the horizon. That’s what I think is Aljofree’s fate too. If not. I think we’d tie them down to longer contracts than just three years.

Sonny is a decent player who I think will have a future in the game and could of course improve during those years. But I think we’re looking for a loan for this season. I don’t think he will become a United player.

Value midfield Erik.

Pretty sure he does, he does not sign the players though. First thing he did when he joined United is say we needed to start with a midfield rebuild and the club has failed him in the market simple as

Pretty sure he does, he does not sign the players though. First thing he did when he joined United is say we needed to start with a midfield rebuild and the club has failed him in the market simple as
Just not buying that I’m sorry. He’s shown time and time again he isn’t prioritising it.

Just not buying that I’m sorry. He’s shown time and time again he isn’t prioritising it.
Except that is clearly untrue. Hence we have attempted to sign midfielders every summer he has been here and hes promoted a young midfielder to the team when he specifically said if the club cant sign him one he needs he’ll need to develop one.

There were definitely signs to be encouraged today from that team performance.

We played some good stuff today. Key thing now is to start dominating games and possession against the weaker sides where we won’t be defending in numbers as much as we are against the likes of City and Arsenal.
If he gets that right, there is still hope for him.

I did not understand why he took Amad off, as well as why Pelistri played right back. He was having problems almost every time he was asked to defend.

I did not understand why he took Amad off, as well as why Pelistri played right back. He was having problems almost every time he was asked to defend.
Maguire coming back from injury probably and all our defenders are dead.

Reinforcements are arriving from Germany soon.

Imo the problem wasn't Pelli at RB, which he did quite well and actually won the ball for our goal. Licha got rinsed and let the cross come in too easily, and unfortuantely it was quality.

Decent game with some promising signs. Still not sure he can get enough goals out of this team though.

Better performance today but I still see United having a relatively below par season.

The reality is the manager by his own admission has signified the importance of these pre-season fixtures, so objectively the club are losing frequent games the manager is taking seriously.

That I feel will inevitably have some reverberation in the upcoming games ahead, but I'd rather this prediction be wrong than accurate.

I think if the club bring Ugarte in it could be game changer because you could play him and Cas in a double and bring Mainoo further forward with Bruno, it should open up more options and opportunities.

I don't think Erik has the pedigree of Klopp / SAF etc where they can drag excellence from a minimalist bunch in terms of quality, so the success of this season 100% hinges the club over exceeding in the market.

Clear plan and a good performance today. Encouraging enough. Think if we had any depth available in defence we would have seen the game out.

Played well but subs killed it
Almost like he didn't try to win.
The subs were made with a view to Friday. Seemed to be based on who needed either minutes or rest before then, rather than just picking the best subs to win this game. We wouldn't have chucked Pellistri on at right back if it was about winning today.

Friday is ten times more important.

Looks like just saved Zirkzee for Friday. Him subbing Amad earlier than Rashford is a hint to me that Amad is certainly starting vs Fulham. Rashford vs Garnacho on the LW will be intriguing.

We defo need some players back. Hoijlund for sure but I do think we needed another striker / goal scorer.
I liked mostly what I saw (take out the first 20 mins or so)

It's also looking like we need casemiro of today (which is similar to first season) rather than last seasons version.

First time in a long, long time it looked like we weren't scared to go toe to toe with City.

Felt like Casemiro's sharpness played a huge part in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.