Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Whitwell piece illustrates the points quite a few on here have been at pains at making: he was hired to transform the playing style of the team (and the small matter of the culture) and then he was not supported enough in getting rid of those who could not hack it tactically. That he was actively undermined by players on the pitch with such an injury list that he could not take them out of the team highlights perfectly how disastrous the season was.

Then when the club fails to sell the players who had been publicly hung out to dry last summer, he has to deal with the shit and when he persists with his long-term approach Fletcher and McClaren advocate a short-term pragmatic fix (which is what we've been doing ever since Fergie retired), which is focusing purely on the season at hand at the cost of future progression.

The gaping hole midfield is explained here by players undermining the manager's instructions. And when he wanted Rice, they bought him Casemiro, and the following summer he wanted him again and they got him Mount. Sure, he made a major mistake with Antony, but this club has been an utter disaster in how it's been run.

Anyone incapable of playing a high line defense should be off (bar Evans, as I think he has value in the dressing room, fully behind the manager, puts his body on the line, and will be paid quite a modest wage, eventually morphing into a coach I suspect), i.e. Maguire, Lindelof. Those not technically at the requisite level also need to be off, that's AWB, though McTominay may stay purely for the tactical plan C option (a good offer would be impossible to reject though). Those not willing to play their part in the high press also need scrapping, so that's Rashford. And then we have players who are clearly past it, like Eriksen, never going to fit, like Donny, likely past it and also not behind the manager, like Casemiro.

I've felt this repeatedly over the last few summers, and I have the same stance now, I am more concerned with getting players out the door than whom we buy. It is the long-term approach that suffers when we carry all these ill-fitting (for different reasons) players and it is the #1 stumbling block to fixing the culture.
So in summary nothing was ETHs fault. It wasn't his signings and the players don't listen to him and the structure is sht and the injuries were bad. Nothing he did was his fault. 0. Nada. Nil.

ETH will be a special guest tomorrow at the Dutch tv show that covers the Euros. Curious to see if he will say something about Manchester United. 100% sure he will be asked about it.

If ten hag couldn't inspire them no one else could right?
Inspire them how? We just beat City in the FA cup final, after a very "inspired" performance.

If you think a team's performance over a season solely depends on the manager's ability to "inspire"... Never mind, I bet you do.

Inspire them how? We just beat City in the FA cup final, after a very "inspired" performance.

If you think a team's performance over a season solely depends on the manager's ability to "inspire"... Never mind, I bet you do.
If we steer clear of injuries, he should be able to win the league.

Most players are behind him. It so
happens the ones that aren’t, are not performing well on the pitch.
Clearly, the problem is the players.

We only need 500m to buy the players that Ten Hag needs. Then we will win the league and the CL. We have the manager. He just needs to be backed. And no / few injuries.

So, a 3 year plan, then a basket of major trophies, maybe another treble.

Clearly, the problem is the players.

We only need 500m to buy the players that Ten Hag needs. Then we will win the league and the CL. We have the manager. He just needs to be backed. And no / few injuries.

So, a 3 year plan, then a basket of major trophies, maybe another treble.
I love posters who constantly resort to hyperbole nonsense when they can't write a post of actual substance.

I love posters who constantly resort to hyperbole nonsense when they can't write a post of actual substance.

Not like there's a dearth of substance in reasons why we're doomed to fail with ETH.

Not like there's a dearth of substance in reasons why we're doomed to fail with ETH.
Considering there are changes to a lot of variables that drove our form last season, I'd be inclined to disagree.

That being said I wouldn't put it past you to be so tunnel minded to think in binary fashion with our potential success.

Im serious, if he can get us playing like that all the time. It's just that when he doesn't, there seems to be a million excuses.

The Athletic article actually points out that showing the two motivational videos was a change from the monotonous coaching throughout the season.

The poster says:
We only need 500m to buy the players that Ten Hag needs.
Just last page this post was made:
Sure, he made a major mistake with Antony, but this club has been an utter disaster in how it's been run. Anyone incapable of playing a high line defense should be off (bar Evans, as I think he has value in the dressing room, fully behind the manager, puts his body on the line, and will be paid quite a modest wage, eventually morphing into a coach I suspect), i.e. Maguire, Lindelof. Those not technically at the requisite level also need to be off, that's AWB, though McTominay may stay purely for the tactical plan C option (a good offer would be impossible to reject though). Those not willing to play their part in the high press also need scrapping, so that's Rashford. And then we have players who are clearly past it, like Eriksen, never going to fit, like Donny, likely past it and also not behind the manager, like Casemiro.
Counting Antony and ignoring VDB, that's 7 players that presumably need to go. Varane's gone too so that's 8. So 500m divided by 8 is 62.5m as the average cost of a player.
Is that really a 'nonsense' number? It might be high but it's not that high.

If we steer clear of injuries, he should be able to win the league.
I mean its so hard to judge how good an injury free shaw, mount and martinez team would be but even a really optimistic outlook would say not good enough to keep up with City. Not that it matters, we have no depth in the team at the moment so any and every injury will be a kick in the teeth, there'll obviously be some.
Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo should with work be good enough to win a league as first team players. But not this season. Give them a couple of years to get Odegaard, Saka levels of experience and we can start talking.
I really dont know what to expect next season. I'm not even going try guess till the season kicks off and a couple of signings have been made.

The poster says:

Just last page this post was made:

Counting Antony and ignoring VDB, that's 7 players that presumably need to go. Varane's gone too so that's 8. So 500m divided by 8 is 62.5m as the average cost of a player.
Is that really a 'nonsense' number? It might be high but it's not that high.
We probably need about 8 signings to be back in the mix to be honest. Not sure the coach changes that. A lot of them are substitutes I guess but you need a bench to compete really. Then again Eriksen is basically a VDB replacement, who's largely been replaced by Amrabat who probably needs to be replaced

So in summary nothing was ETHs fault. It wasn't his signings and the players don't listen to him and the structure is sht and the injuries were bad. Nothing he did was his fault. 0. Nada. Nil.

I cannot wait for the excuses when we are absolutely diabolical again in August.

Does anyone seriously believe that if we had De Zerbi, Postecoglou or Glasner as our coach last season that they wouldn’t have made the team play in their style.

Similarly fs we had Dyche or Marco Silva we wouldn’t be a more structured side off the ball.

I’ve never heard of a coach completely fail to implement their style of play two years in a job because of a squad

I’m not even saying that these managers would be great or wouldn’t have poor results too but I don’t believe for a second with continuous coaching they wouldn’t represent the styles of these managers. Sarri had Chelsea playing his way and that was a team built for Conte’s style. It wasn’t a good watch but it was a Sarri team. De Zerbi plays a high line and out from the back with fecking Dunk so I don’t want to hear anything about players not suiting styles.

It is a complete failure on EtH’s part to not be able to coach players to get what he wants.

We're the only club that apparently can't get our players to play how the coach wants, not in one year but two full years of coaching. That's insane. My two year old could crawl, walk and talk in that time. Yet we can't be coached in two years. Yet at other clubs managers have an instant impact, even with zero signings under their management. It's just a joke what people have convinced themselves. We've got some top quality players, yet teams with far inferior squads just happen to be more coachable? They can look more assured on the ball, more organised, better coordinated in the press, in attack, in defensive transitions? At this stage I can only laugh at people that come out with this sort of stuff.

Rashford 2 seasons ago papered over the cracks and made us look better than be were and his fall off last season really showed.
I can give him that Martinez and Varane was a huge miss and we seen how good with looked with both starting.

What I can’t forgive is his waste of money on average players and buying the wrong players to go along with that. The fact he thought Mount would be the right #8 was criminal and only took 1 game to find out it was a failure.

I can’t forgive the fact our midfield is consistently walked through and while injuries can be used the fact he never was able to adjust it and make us more solid was a worry.

I feel Hojlund was a good signing and the right one but the fact we didn’t sign a stop gap was criminal as he was 20 and name me a 20 year old striker that will get you 30 goals a season.

He has survived due to the market for managers being poor but he would want to start the season well or else he is in trouble. The FA Cup was great especially beating Liverpool and City, 3 finals and 2 trophies is great for 2 seasons but 8th place is unacceptable. It be different if he had challenged for the league last year and we just had a bad season but he doesn’t have the credit in the bank to be finishing that poor

We're the only club that apparently can't get our players to play how the coach wants, not in one year but two full years of coaching. That's insane. My two year old could crawl, walk and talk in that time. Yet we can't be coached in two years. Yet at other clubs managers have an instant impact, even with zero signings under their management. It's just a joke what people have convinced themselves. We've got some top quality players, yet teams with far inferior squads just happen to be more coachable? They can look more assured on the ball, more organised, better coordinated in the press, in attack, in defensive transitions? At this stage I can only laugh at people that come out with this sort of stuff.

Can he/she play LB or DM though?

I see a maximum of 4 players coming in, ETH's main job is to bring in young players. Perhaps another 2-3 youngsters into XI. United is unlikely to compete in the next 2-3 years therefore our best bet is to develop our own players. Hopefully ETH is the right man to this job, winning now is not Ineos plan for now.

There are a handful of posters here who genuinely seem to imply that. When any shortcoming is brought up, there's always a ready-made excuse. When pressed, sometimes they'll preface a comment with a vague "I'll admit ETH has made mistakes, but..." followed by another deflection.

I see a maximum of 4 players coming in, ETH's main job is to bring in young players. Perhaps another 2-3 youngsters into XI. United is unlikely to compete in the next 2-3 years therefore our best bet is to develop our own players. Hopefully ETH is the right man to this job, winning now is not Ineos plan for now.

That's what the journos on Talk of the Devils said (3-4) - but honestly, with the outgoings we've had, and likely have to come, it feels like we still need (at a minimum); 1 x LB, 2 x CB, 1 x CM, 1 x CF and possibly an Oliseh style wide-forward. But that's 5-6 players.

ETH will be a special guest tomorrow at the Dutch tv show that covers the Euros. Curious to see if he will say something about Manchester United. 100% sure he will be asked about it.
Heh? Heh?

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5549017/2024/06/14/erik-ten-hag-player-tensions-principles-play/

Anyone read this from Whitwell?

• Ronaldo refused to implement the forward press even after coaching staff "downgraded" the intensity of the press to suit him
  • Varane and Case said they preferred Ancelotti's approach to managing and ultimately became "strong dissenting voices" in the squad
  • Garnacho thrived with "firm" feedback and Mainoo is "like a sponge"
  • Sancho did not commit to the press in practice and walked off. Sancho told the club "they had bought the wrong player" because he is actually a left winger and Antony's signing was actually in response to trying to accommodate Sancho.
  • "Some players" found repetition of details "too much" and tuned out in meetings.
  • ETH ripped into Antony so harshly at the everton game that Antony was "visibly affected" and is deeply disappointed the signing as not worked out.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5549017/2024/06/14/erik-ten-hag-player-tensions-principles-play/

Anyone read this from Whitwell?

• Ronaldo refused to implement the forward press even after coaching staff "downgraded" the intensity of the press to suit him
  • Varane and Case said they preferred Ancelotti's approach to managing and ultimately became "strong dissenting voices" in the squad
  • Garnacho thrived with "firm" feedback and Mainoo is "like a sponge"
  • Sancho did not commit to the press in practice and walked off. Sancho told the club "they had bought the wrong player" because he is actually a left winger and Antony's signing was actually in response to trying to accommodate Sancho.
  • "Some players" found repetition of details "too much" and tuned out in meetings.
  • ETH ripped into Antony so harshly at the everton game that Antony was "visibly affected" and is deeply disappointed the signing as not worked out.

Well, if this is true, it's a good thing Ronaldo, Varane, Casemiro, Sancho and Antony are all completely fecking expendable.

Well, if this is true, it's a good thing Ronaldo, Varane, Casemiro, Sancho and Antony are all completely fecking expendable.

how much of our wage bill just end up not bothering, or actively harming the team? It would have to be something like 1.5-2 million per week that were just going around saying "why did you buy me" and "my last manager was better".

How do you manage twats like that, especially in an rolling injury crisis season?. ETH must be glad every day he doesn't have the hair to rip out. :lol:

Sancho was kind of right, you did buy the wrong player, now please sell him.
Ten Hag to Sancho “I didn’t fecking buy you”.

It leads to the question of why did he come here? We had a plethora of LW options at United when he joined and nothing on the right. If he only wanted to play left then he signed for the wrong club.

Ten Hag to Sancho “I didn’t fecking buy you”.

It leads to the question of why did he come here? We had a plethora of LW options at United when he joined and nothing on the right. If he only wanted to play left then he signed for the wrong club.
And yet he plays on the right at Borussia. He’s been mostly shiit there too though, no matter what the media says.

You've got issues mate:

https://x.com/UtdDistrict/status/1801539017860673927?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1801539017860673927|twgr^abe19eb82141893b54db71ac6e1b24b147fb2cfe|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www.redcafe.net/threads/erik-ten-hag-manchester-united-manager.470032/page-2957

Ten Hag continued to instruct for a higher starting line so that his team could squeeze the play in the final third. It was the blueprint mapped out by the #mufc hierarchy. But the team would drop deeper than Ten Hag intended, leaving large spaces in midfield.
https://x.com/UtdDistrict/status/1801539017860673927/photo/1
Either way the fact that he couldn’t get his back line following his instructions for the whole season is damming. Shouldn’t be hard to get slow defenders to push up and play in 35 PL games.

Even then, if it was so hard then he should’ve adapted his tactics earlier.

Let’s see if the players “follow his instructions” next season.

Either way the fact that he couldn’t get his back line following his instructions for the whole season is damming. Shouldn’t be hard to get slow defenders to push up and play in 35 PL games.

Even then, if it was so hard then he should’ve adapted his tactics earlier.

Let’s see if the players “follow his instructions” next season.
I'm guessing the bold bit is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.