Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the medical team continually advised Ten Hag that players were good to go. But it turned out they were giving him bad advice and it lead to multiple players getting injured again as they weren't ready yet.

Should Ten Hag have kept following their advice?

What do you do when your doctor continually gives you bad advice ?

You change doctors don't you ?

That's your decision that you can make on the spot there and then .

Do you think it's as simple for a manager at a football club to have a mid season medical room clear out ?

Is it his decision to make ?

What exactly are you advocating he should've done , because all you keep putting up is , coulda , woulda , shoulda based on a hunch of yours .

Why would ten Hag be the boss of the medical department? If anything it would be something the Technical Director or Director of football would cover. You realise its not football manager?

And who was filling those roles last season?

What has if I think the medical team did a good job got to do with anything?

I'm just interested, I don't know how good they are or if they are/were at fault for our our injury problems last season.

The new low you are going with this is just astonishing. Do you not feel a bit silly, or embarrassed for what you are actually suggesting?

I'm mostly just asking questions that people seem very reluctant to answer. So why would I feel embarrassed, I'm not the one actually making any claims or saying I know what's been happening behind the scenes at United in regards to injuries.

I expect towards the end of next week to read "United to decide on Erik's future by the start of the season"

If the medical team continually advised Ten Hag that players were good to go. But it turned out they were giving him bad advice and it lead to multiple players getting injured again as they weren't ready yet.

Should Ten Hag have kept following their advice?
Yes, duh. And launch an investigation, which is what happened.

Again in hindsight it's easy to say this now but he wouldnt know they were giving shit advice at that time. He's not the one with medical degrees who spent their whole life working as doctors/physios to know better. He obviously chose to trust those with actual qualifications.

The club clearly identified problems with the medical department and is looking to improve it now with hiring a new physio. Feels like the manager is catching strays for literally everything wrong at the club. Next he will be getting blamed for the leaking roof at OT probably.

No not at the time but over time if the medical team as has been claimed were on multiple occasions advising him that players were ready to return but they were in fact not. Do you not think the manager could have started being a bit more conservative and waiting an extra week or two?

Take it they didn’t celebrate winning the league last year then? Or they didn’t celebrate winning the FA cup. As they won the treble within weeks. If we beat city when it’s deserved people still make the excuses that city weren’t at their best…. It’s actually sad that us beating city as annoyed some of our fans as much as us losing to them would have.
Yeah maybe in your world.

I'm just relieved that both ETH appears to be getting sacked and the next manager will not be someone who relegated their last club 13 or so years ago. That'll do for me, for now. Tuchel isn't going to win us any titles but would be a safe pair of hands for CL football for the next couple of years until somebody better comes along.

??? am I lying? The sentiment for Ten Hag changed substantially after the FA Cup win. Am I crazy for thinking that if Southgate wins the Euros (unlikely) the sentiment for him would change considerably too?

What do you do when your doctor continually gives you bad advice ?

You change doctors don't you ?

That's your decision that you can make on the spot there and then .

Do you think it's as simple for a manager at a football club to have a mid season medical room clear out ?

Is it his decision to make ?

What exactly are you advocating he should've done , because all you keep putting up is , coulda , woulda , shoulda based on a hunch of yours .

Who ultimately decides when players return to the side?

He can't change the medical department mid-season no. But could he have started being a bit more conservative with when he decided to reintroduce players back into the side?

And to be fair maybe he did start doing this eventually.

If he goes, it will be the first sacking in the post-SAF era that I feel kind of ambivalent about. I think it could absolutely be the right call, but we are still firing a manager that provided two trophies in as many seasons, brought forward some excellent young players, clearly still has the backing of the players, and had us looking very good for most of his first season. That combined with the lack of great options just gives it a bit of weird feeling for me.

Then again, this season has been awful even when we had most players fit.

Imagine if he stays after all this

"Erik, we couldn't find anyone suitable so looks like you're seeing out your contract after all. See you in Carrington next week!"

??? am I lying? The sentiment for Ten Hag changed substantially after the FA Cup win. Am I crazy for thinking that if Southgate wins the Euros (unlikely) the sentiment for him would change considerably too?
It would change for sure, no question about that. You're as good as your last result.

Imagine if he stays after all this

"Erik, we couldn't find anyone suitable so looks like you're seeing out your contract after all. See you in Carrington next week!"
Ye I can’t see how they’d get around keeping him now. I’ve been reading up things like ETH is frustrated that he’s still not heard anything about his future. We’ve screwed him over in a way aswell because by keeping him this long all the top jobs that was available have now gone so we’ve made him miss out on other job opportunities because we’ve decided to mess around with him and not tell him what’s going on.

I'm just relieved that both ETH appears to be getting sacked and the next manager will not be someone who relegated their last club 13 or so years ago. That'll do for me, for now. Tuchel isn't going to win us any titles but would be a safe pair of hands for CL football for the next couple of years until somebody better comes along.

Don’t be so sure. He’s got history of falling out with players and owners and this squad is the sort who will down tools at any hint of criticism, it could possibly be a complete disaster

Said no such thing. He blamed himself and the medical staff.

"It’s kind of everyone’s fault. Partly my fault, partly medical staff, I think everyone would admit that. I didn’t train the whole week. The scan came back and there wasn’t too much there. But I didn’t train all week, then trained the day before the game. If the manager asks me to play, I’m never going to say no. I shouldn’t have played."

Basically everyone's fault including ETH. It's a structural problem within the club which is why it happens so often. I'm pro ETH by the way (although I fully expect he will be sacked this coming week) so I'm not looking for ammo against him.

Don’t be so sure. He’s got history of falling out with players and owners and this squad is the sort who will down tools at any hint of criticism, it could possibly be a complete disaster

Even a complete disaster under Tuchel will probably be an improvement on last seasons league and CL campaigns. I just can't imagine anything worse on the pitch.

"It’s kind of everyone’s fault. Partly my fault, partly medical staff, I think everyone would admit that. I didn’t train the whole week. The scan came back and there wasn’t too much there. But I didn’t train all week, then trained the day before the game. If the manager asks me to play, I’m never going to say no. I shouldn’t have played."

Basically everyone's fault including ETH. It's a structural problem within the club which is why it happens so often. I'm pro ETH by the way so I'm not looking for ammo against him.

I'd agree with that, this problem preceded Ten Hag as we've had a poor injury record for years.

Then why you trying to make excuses as to why we beat city? Why can’t it just be we were better on the day and deserved it?
You know being better on the day and City not being at their best can both happen right?

Like I said I just won't get carried away by one result like you and others have. Wigan managed the same against them once.

It's not a pile on at all, I'm just pointing out that while the manager can delegate decisions ultimately it's still his responsibility. If you claim it's all on the medical staff fair enough. But at some point if Ten Hag kept listening to them then it becomes his fault at least in part.

No he's not a mind reader, but unless he's got long term memory problems. If the medical staff keep advising him to rush players back before they're ready at some point it'd be an idea to start ignoring their advice if they kept giving him shit advice. Wouldn't it?
As I said, he hasnt got better qualifications than they do in the medical department, and he still did his bit by checking in with the player first. He had a green light from both, so no its not exactly on him.

No not at the time but over time if the medical team as has been claimed were on multiple occasions advising him that players were ready to return but they were in fact not. Do you not think the manager could have started being a bit more conservative and waiting an extra week or two?
Which is why it was reviewed at end of season and prompted us to look into hiring a new physio. Feel like we going around in circles here. Every manager wants his best players to play. If a player himself said he is okay after a medical team with actual qualifications and with years of experience cleared that player then he is going to trust them.

There’s no going back for ETH he’s been hung out to dry. Numerous stories about him getting fired and what seems like planted stories about managers being interviewed even face to face with SJR is a joke in all honesty

Squirmy way of doing things you know for a fact he was getting fired on the Monday morning if we lost the cup final yet they’ve dragged this on into a three week bullshit review whilst interviewing other people.

Laughably bad and if this is the way they plan on doing things going forward we should be worried.

It's so funny that Chelsea took way less time in sacking Poch and getting a new manager than us. It's really NOT that hard.

You know being better on the day and City not being at their best can both happen right?

Like I said I just won't get carried away by one result like you and others have. Wigan managed the same against them once.
I wasn’t getting carried away mate. I still know we’re bad. I just don’t get fans that don’t enjoy the moment and enjoy winning a trophy in the final against arguably the best team in Europe.

There’s no going back for ETH he’s been hung out to dry. Numerous stories about him getting fired and what seems like planted stories about managers being interviewed even face to face with SJR is a joke in all honesty

Squirmy way of doing things you know for a fact he was getting fired on the Monday morning if we lost the cup final yet they’ve dragged this on into a three week bullshit review whilst interviewing other people.

Laughably bad
Yeah ridiculous how it has been handled (publically at least) whatever the outcome.

Which is why it was reviewed at end of season and prompted us to look into hiring a new physio. Feel like we going around in circles here. Every manager wants his best players to play. If a player himself said he is okay after a medical team with actual qualifications and with years of experience cleared that player then he is going to trust them.

Perhaps we are, I've asked people to consider the possibility that a manager can choose not to follow advice. If said advice as has been claimed lead to players getting injured again.

Players say they're fit all the time even when they're not. Look at the quote from Shaw a few posts above.

If the manager asks me to play, I’m never going to say no. I shouldn’t have played

Status
Not open for further replies.