Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from supposedly being 'dour and unimaginative', what else is so bad about Gareth? I know a couple of blokes who are that way yet they are quite successful in their own ways. I am genuinely surprised at how a lot of people are repulsed by him on caf yet he seems to have had a decent spell with the English national team.His club managerial career appears to be underwhelming but maybe he has grown professionally from that time.

Why do people find him so unpalatable? Even in his interviews he comes across as a mild-mannered, level-headed guy and doesn't spew a lot of rubbish. As a person living on the other side of the world can someone explain the extreme reactions that are elicited by the mere mention of his name as possible candidate for the MU job?
This is because his coaching style is unimaginative and uninspiring. With one of the best England squads he has not been able to accomplish anything in the international scene, that too with very dull style of play. The fact that no other top 10 PL club will go no where near Southgate should be a clue why he would be an awful appointment. I would rather have ole back than Southgate.

Those defending Ten Hag all season have insisted all a manager needs to succeed, is a good structure and time (because they'll definitely become Fergie or Arteta)

Therefore why would you be so against Southgate? He'll have the structure, all we need to do is give him time. What's the problem?

Those defending Ten Hag all season have insisted all a manager needs to succeed, is a good structure and time (because they'll definitely become Fergie or Arteta)

Therefore why would you be so against Southgate? He'll have the structure, all we need to do is give him time. What's the problem?
Have you seen the way England play given the talent at his disposal?

I don't even particularly back ETH but this is a poor argument. It's because ETH has been shown to be able to coach outstanding football while at Ajax, so the argument is a better structure would allow us to get to that level. While Southgate, even at his best, is a proficient and solid manager, nothing more.

One thing we've learnt is the media has no fecking clue about this. The Guardian reported that he was sacked before the FA Cup final, but it seems like it was a bunch of bs or the sources were completely wrong. Either way, if that was remotely true, the decision would've been announced a while back.

It looks like the media are trying to create a story out of nothing. At no stage did any club offical come out and say they were completing a review and were going to fire the manage. The only official interview was with eth who said they were planning to continue with him.

He can't do it when his squad is far better than most. He'll fail easily with the United squad.

If we have a good first half of the season we can enter into contract discussions but doing it now seems silly.

This. Why needlessly hand out a new contract before a ball is kicked? He could easily shit the bed next season and then you’re stuck paying out even more compensation money you didn’t have to if he does get sacked. Let him earn it, if he produces the goods next season then reward him with a new deal.

Definitely think Ineos want to keep him and are using these Southgate rumours to scare the ETH out fans into submission.

If we have a good first half of the season we can enter into contract discussions but doing it now seems silly.
My thinking leans towards that he’ll be sacked and a replacement swiftly appointed because it would explain why it’s been quiet behind the scenes regarding the manager

Letting this go on and then back him last minute seems weird. And doesn’t seem convincing

It looks like INEOS is keeping him, for now. FA cup miracle has saved him for likely one more season.

I think he should be sacked, but we are going nowhere next season anyway so it doesn't make much difference, I guess. Whatever, just don't let him to be involved in transfer decisions.

The fact that we still haven't made a decision on the manager and we still haven't got a director of football in the door for a transfer window of huge importance really doesn't show the new ownership in a good light. I think we were all hoping for more from them.

I believe people are becoming impatient here. It is the responsibility of news outlets to have information on United. It is also evident that they have not heard anything from INEOS yet. They're merely connecting the dots to try to make sense of a process they know nothing about.

As fans, we requested structure. Well, you need to justify terminating or recruiting a new manager. Allowing time for a review while minimizing the impact of the FA Cup is a wise decision. The issue is that United is so enormous that news outlets must continue to report on us in order to maintain viewers' interest. Whereas Chelsea or Arsenal can go completely dark in fresh news cycles until significant events occur, Manchester United is always in the spotlight and must deal with a slew of unfounded rumours that are more public than other clubs. It's the cost of fame, and our fans should understand this before going crazy and turning on INEOS this quickly. Southgate is a negative story for United fans, he has had past connections with Ashworth, doesn't play the type of football fans seem to want and has been in one of the most public and polarizing jobs in football for the past 7-8 years. Its such an easy link to explain United's delay whilst accessing clicks.

The same fans eager to have a go at the team would have been outraged if INEOS had fired ETH right after the final, even if they agreed with the decision. We want a decent structure with good processes, and this is how we achieve it: through calculated evidence-based decision making. Sir Jim has already declared his strategy of limiting managerial participation in transfers, so the length of time it takes to make a decision should not be an issue, and United appear to be still active in the market, according to the same publications circulating these stories.

In my opinion, it appears like ETH will be leaving, and they are doing everything they can to ensure that his replacement is ready when the public announcement is made.

In a parallel universe INEOS might have offered Ten Hag to finish his contract and negotiate a new one if things look well at Christmas but his agent refuses that and Ineos want to sack him because of it but there isn't a candidate available they trust to take over so that is why the review is taking so long.

He’s not really done enough to stay on in my opinion but I’m pretty ambivalent whether he’s here next season or not. Either way, they need to make an announcement as dragging things out like this isn’t helping anyone. The fact they haven’t said anything yet is suggestive of them talking to other parties, so the delay isn’t particularly encouraging for ETH.

My feelings exactly.

I still maintain that he deserves to at least see out his final year due to winning two trophies and having had to steward the team through the partial takeover while having to make do in several positions with loan players and a massive injury list.

Only in the palace game did I think the players weren’t really playing for him. He’s got a decent record against Liverpool other than the 7-0 and he’s beaten, Chelsea, spurs, villa and city and Arsenal in his two seasons.

I think the vast majority of the players like and respect him and I want to see if he can take us forward under the new structure. Even if it doesn’t end up working it buys time to get the new football people bedded in with a guy who we know can manage the team to a reasonable level.

I thought Ornstein poured cold water on the Southgate rumours a while back?

Surely we're not going to finally hire a component DoF, for them to suggest Southgate as manager? Dafuq

I still maintain that he deserves to at least see out his final year due to winning two trophies and having had to steward the team through the partial takeover while having to make do in several positions with loan players and a massive injury list.

Only in the palace game did I think the players weren’t really playing for him. He’s got a decent record against Liverpool other than the 7-0 and he’s beaten, Chelsea, spurs, villa and city and Arsenal in his two seasons.

I think the vast majority of the players like and respect him and I want to see if he can take us forward under the new structure. Even if it doesn’t end up working it buys time to get the new football people bedded in with a guy who we know can manage the team to a reasonable level.

What irks me is the word "deserve". He doesn't deserve anything. If we provide him the chance to have another season, he would not have earnt it. It would be us simply giving him another opportunity. The performances and results he produced last season were not good enough and as a club, we should not feel obligated to a manager. It's either we believe he can take us forward or we don't believe he can take us forward. We shouldn't be wasting seasons on semantics.

Status
Not open for further replies.