Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that we still haven't made a decision on the manager and we still haven't got a director of football in the door for a transfer window of huge importance really doesn't show the new ownership in a good light. I think we were all hoping for more from them.

By "Wrap up" you mean of course labour through the group games - have one good win against weak opposition - then crash out to the first well disciplined / good team we come up against. Can't believe we are going for this "Nearly Man" who is squandering talent that won tournaments at under 18 level.

its coming home bruh

They get clicks with any name. Why do they need to spout one particular name? Multiple sources have mentioned that Gareth is one of INEOS' top choices. Did they all together to form this narrative?

They all just parrot each other. 'Sources' like who? When will people clock that off-season football "journalism" is nothing of the sort. It's just a kind of entertaining fiction-by-consensus.

Very true, he beat all of those teams once. Just once though. But that's enough for some hope.

man-utd-v-top-six-all-competitions-1715590620-136280.png

Picture doesn't make sense. Under ETH our win % vs City = 20% and wins = 5? Isn't true. Should "Wins" instead say "Games played" perhaps? But then I don't understand how we can have played 4 times and have a 40% win rate vs Liverpool... That's impossible?

Last edited:
Can’t go about squad strengthening / weakening without not knowing who the manager next season is.

Ten Hag is staying surely.

It is probably the opposite. If the manager was staying they would have come out by now and backed him, the fact that they haven't probably means he is gone.

Apart from being dour and unimaginative,what else is so bad about Gareth? I know a couple of blokes who are that way yet they are quite successful in their own ways. I am genuinely surprised at how a lot of people are repulsed by him on caf yet he seems to have had a decent spell with the English national team.His club managerial career appears to be underwhelming but maybe he has grown professionally from that time.Why do people find him so unpalatable?

He is very dull and uninspired, and his football is insipid, terrible. It's not the type of football I want to watch every week. He has been incredibly successful in making the English NT far less than the sum of its parts. He is terrible at making subs. And in his last club job, which was 15 years ago or something, he got relegated with Boro. Also, managing footballers playing for country is nowhere near the same as managing footballers playing for club, especially one like Manchester United. This job will eat him and shit him out in one season. Furthermore, I suspect some players might become untouchable and undroppable under him.

It's just a terrible idea all around. He simply isn't a good coach. Certainly not for top flight football. If Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti are S-tier coaches, and Tuchel, Enrique, and Arteta are A-tier, Southgate is a genuine C-tier coach. I'd stick with Ten Hag, or even have Pochettino, than have Southgate. It's baffling, and very concerning, people in executive position can think he is good enough.

Is it a British narrative? Most of the players we have been linked with are British too.

They get clicks with any name. Why do they need to spout one particular name? Multiple sources have mentioned that Gareth is one of INEOS' top choices. Did they all together to form this narrative?
There is a narrative from mid tier journalists that INEOS will favour home grown or british talent.
When you say multiple sources, the quantity is irrelevant in respect of the quality of the journalists themselves. For example neither Athletic (Mitten/Ornstein/etc) nor BBC nor Times or even Telegraph have reported Southgate to be a leading contendor. It's coming form the manchester evening news (not even the top correspondent there) and ESPN.

I do believe he was spoken to, but I don't believe hes a top choice. That's an easy headline to right and it's right before the euros kick off - go figure.

He is very dull and uninspired, and his football is insipid, terrible. It's not the type of football I want to watch every week. He has been incredibly successful in making the English NT far less than the sum of its parts. He is terrible at making subs. And in his last club job, which was 15 years ago or something, he got relegated with Boro. Also, managing footballers playing for country is nowhere near the same as managing footballers playing for club, especially one like Manchester United. This job will eat him and shit him out in one season. Furthermore, I suspect some players might become untouchable and undroppable under him.

It's just a terrible idea all around. He simply isn't a good coach. Certainly not for top flight football. If Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti are S-tier coaches, and Tuchel, Enrique, and Arteta are A-tier, Southgate is a genuine C-tier coach. I'd stick with Ten Hag, or even have Pochettino, than have Southgate.

Well the fact we couldn't get any of those S-tier coaches when Fergie announced his retirement was shocking. Had to end up reaching out to Moyes and that was a start to our disastrous appointments of last decade.

Yeah they are dithering without a doubt and probably all because of winning that FA Cup Final
I think he's staying, for a number of reasons:

1. Our new CEO and Sporting Director wont be in place this summer. They will be joining after the new season has started. They will need time to do their own assessments.

2. With the Euros and other international tournaments, it will be a very disrupted pre season. Difficult for a new manager to get all the players to understand and execute the new way of playing before the season starts.

3. Fergie being close to Ratcliffe and suggesting that Man Utd managers need more time. Despite where we finished and how dire the football was, we have won trophies in each of ten haag's seasons.

4. PSR and FFP, too expensive to sack ten Haag and his staff this summer.

I might be wrong and ETH gets sacked tomorrow. However getting a new manager in with his staff plus then organising pre-season and having a say in the squad makeup. Plus buying and moving players on is alot to do. Our first pre season game is July 15th (5 weeks away).

There is only one reason to wait till the Euros is done... we are appointing someone managing in the Euros.... Southgate.

What other reason could there be?

Absolutely sickened if he is our next manager, just hoping Ornstein was right about hearing he wasn't near the top of our list. The trouble is that these links to Mr relegation won't go away.

I'm feeling more and more confident Ten Hag wasn't fired yet because he took the FA cup with him on holidays.

Absolutely sickened if he is our next manager, just hoping Ornstein was right about hearing he wasn't near the top of our list. The trouble is that these links to Mr relegation won't go away.

I think there is one thing that this fan base will agree on, 90% of us dont want him as manager.

What is worrying is that ever since INEOS took over, there have always been Southgate links, I know people say its not tier 1 journalists but its been about 5/6 months of these rumours. Generally, there is no smoke without fire.

I really hope we dont make such a mistake Not only will it push us further back, it will put INEOS on the back foot, getting the 1st major decision so wrong, will they even be able to come back from it?

Picture doesn't make sense. Under ETH our win % vs City = 20% and wins = 5? Isn't true. Should "Wins" instead say "Games played" perhaps? But then I don't understand how we can have played 4 times and have a 40% win rate vs Liverpool... That's impossible?

You are right it makes no sense, if I'm not mistaken for City it should be 33%, 4 losses and 2 wins?

Can’t go about squad strengthening / weakening without not knowing who the manager next season is.

Ten Hag is staying surely.
Why? Isn't the point of this new structure to enable smoother transitions between managers, rather than buying players specifically for the current manager

1. Our new CEO and Sporting Director wont be in place this summer. They will be joining after the new season has started. They will need time to do their own assessments.

2. With the Euros and other international tournaments, it will be a very disrupted pre season. Difficult for a new manager to get all the players to understand and execute the new way of playing before the season starts.

3. Fergie being close to Ratcliffe and suggesting that Man Utd managers need more time. Despite where we finished and how dire the football was, we have won trophies in each of ten haag's seasons.

I might be wrong and ETH gets sacked tomorrow. However getting a new manager in with his staff plus then organising pre-season and having a say in the squad makeup. Plus buying and moving players on is alot to do. Our first pre season game is July 15th (5 weeks away).

I would make the change provided it's not Southgate, however if they are committed to it then just do a club statement backing him. We need to get a move on because understandably transfer targets want to know who will be the manager next season.

All valid points.

Could be the delay is down to coming to some agreement as to how they'll work together and probably extend his contract. EtH was given a lot of power over transfers and whatnot by Arnold and Murtough, apparently. I'm sure INEOS want to roll some if that back.

Could be EtH decides to walk if he's not happy with the new status quo. Wouldn't surprise me!

You are right it makes no sense, if I'm not mistaken for City it should be 33%, 4 losses and 2 wins?

Just checked, he has played them 5 times and won twice (Making it a 40% win rate) - No idea where the 4 comes from unless it's amount of games we played them in the league or scored vs them in the league?

Going to be 2 weeks after the FA Cup, no one thought it'd be this long, let's be honest it's a shambles from INEOS

I have to praise some on here to keep arguing EtH in or EtH out, even though the argument has been done to death and it's getting incredibly boring.

The consensus here on Southgate is correct. He gets less out of the players than there is to be gotten and what he puts on display is virtually unwatchable. If the only option on offer is Southgate then it has be ten Hag by a million miles, as dire as his tactics are as well.

I think there is one thing that this fan base will agree on, 90% of us dont want him as manager.

What is worrying is that ever since INEOS took over, there have always been Southgate links, I know people say its not tier 1 journalists but its been about 5/6 months of these rumours. Generally, there is no smoke without fire.

I really hope we dont make such a mistake Not only will it push us further back, it will put INEOS on the back foot, getting the 1st major decision so wrong, will they even be able to come back from it?

Who is this 10% that do then, only way they could ever come back from it is for him to deliver a Premier League or Champions League

There’s another reason why this could be getting delayed… he’s the manager of England. We best not be waiting for him. That would be an absolutely awful decision.

Who is this 10% that do then, only way they could ever come back from it is for him to deliver a Premier League or Champions League

There is a poll somewhere which shows 10% will take Southgate in charge.

Just checked, he has played them 5 times and won twice (Making it a 40% win rate) - No idea where the 4 comes from unless it's amount of games we played them in the league or scored vs them in the league?

6 times. 4 times in the league and 2 times in the FA cup.

I don’t understand it either. Especially as against Liverpool we have played, at least, 4 league games and 1 fa cup game. His win percentage is indeed 40% with one win in the league (2-1), and one in the FA cup (4-3), two draws (0-0, 2-2), and one defeat (0-7). Two wins in 5. I have no clue where the 4 comes from.

The consensus here on Southgate is correct. He gets less out of the players than there is to be gotten and what he puts on display is virtually unwatchable. If the only option on offer is Southgate then it has be ten Hag by a million miles, as dire as his tactics are as well.

Oh yeah Erik is so much better than him

Yes, wins column is supposed to be games played (it means Win %), the graphic was made in mid May so before the cup final

Many want to keep him despite finishing 8th.

What do you mean regarding torpedoing the first season? You mean under a new manager? In my opinion we're hitting reset anyway, we don't even want the football Ten Hag has been delivering or delivered at Ajax, by the sounds of it. So he's no better off than another manager. Maybe even worse off as he's not got the track record for delivering the type of football we want. I think if we want a certain type of football, go find a coach that has shown they can deliver it.

I would 100% keep him if the replacement is Southgate.

He is a fraud. Look at the talent he has at his disposal for England and produces worse football than Ten Hag.

The onus is not on Ineos to announce anything, he just won the FA cup had a poor season but a good first season, wining a cup, he has one more year on his contract, let’s see how it goes.
He’s a decent manager but even if they did want to replace him, there’s no viable options out there. (Southgate lol)
It’s the fans and media that are making shit storm in a tea cup. Ten hag will be here next season.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/manchester-united/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Liverpool/

This makes it 5 - What is the 6th? They have it as only once in the cup
We've played them in 2 consecutive FA cup finals. We've beaten them once in the league and in one of the finals, losing the other 3 league games and the final they won on way to the treble. The graphic is just a few weeks old plus the "Wins" column should be "Games" albeit we've played Liverpool 5 times too and won 40%.

He’s not really done enough to stay on in my opinion but I’m pretty ambivalent whether he’s here next season or not. Either way, they need to make an announcement as dragging things out like this isn’t helping anyone. The fact they haven’t said anything yet is suggestive of them talking to other parties, so the delay isn’t particularly encouraging for ETH.

Status
Not open for further replies.