Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manager can't sign players, can't coach, can't talk. Wtf we even hired.

Is it by some magical coincidence that we targetted players who worked under EtH or players who somehow had links with EtH one way or the other?

Yep thats true, we only targetted players that have worked with him

Casemiro, Hojlund worked well with him in the past tbh.

He also wanted Kane who he also worked with.

Let me ask you 1 question. Who's job is it to walk away from a deal? The manager?

For someone whom you champion about one hundred times a day you must think Ten Hag a fool to come to this conclusion.

He would certainly have been made aware of progress and fees. Do you think Ten Hag so foolish that he wouldn't understand paying more here means less money there?

Just face it, he made an informed decision and decided in all these cases to proceed irrespective of the excessive fees. He thought spending that money on Anthony was better than any known alternatives, or a cheaper option, or signing a CB or CM instead.

For someone whom you champion about one hundred times a day you must think Ten Hag a fool to come to this conclusion.

He would certainly have been made aware of progress and fees. Do you think Ten Hag so foolish that he wouldn't understand paying more here means less money there?

Just face it, he made an informed decision and decided in all these cases to proceed irrespective of the excessive fees. He thought spending that money on Anthony was better than any known alternatives, or a cheaper option, or signing a CB or CM instead.

I really find it fascinating that fans dont think the clubs hierarchy have anything to do with this. I am surprised to after 11 years of failings fans still think its the manager to blame for all the transfer failings.

fecking hell, :lol:

The signings may look poor on face value , but I don't think it's as simple as that .

We aren't simply trying to upgrade a player for a similar player who is better . we are trying to sign players who are better at a future play style that doesn't exist here yet . It's a different thing . Expecting a single player to be 'transformative ' at this stage is unrealistic . That won't happen . What will happen in my humble , is that 1 transfer window will be transformative .

I feel this transfer window more than any other is key to our transformation under Ten hag . The right players added now , 4 first teamers of the right profile can tip the balance and allow previous signings a better chance to play how they were intended .

This is part of the reason why I argue for more time .

Last edited:
I really find it fascinating that fans dont think the clubs hierarchy have anything to do with this. I am surprised to after 11 years of failings fans still think its the manager to blame for all the transfer failings.

You seem incapable of forming a coherent back and forth conversation.

Let me help you out here, no where did I say the club hierarchy had nothing to do with this nor that the manager is to blame for all transfer failings.

Do you want to try again or are you just out to waste people's time with nonsense?

That's strange. Ten Hag's agency got very bullish when someone asked them if The United Stand and his agency have some connection.

Let me help you out here, no where did I say the club hierarchy had nothing to do with this nor that the manager is to blame for all transfer failings.

Do you want to try again or are you just out to waste people's time with nonsense?
Nah it is you who is coming up with dumpsterfire worthy posts.

So according to you Ten Hag is responsible for our transfer dealings financially. He should also start mowing the pitch and make tea.

There are valid arguments on both sides. On one hand ETH had won 2 trophies in 2 years. He brought some sort of discipline back, he gave some great youths a great introduction to first team football and this season was plagued with injuries. On the other hand the EPL table doesn't lie, 8th place, negative goal difference and 4th place in an easy CL group is horrible. ETH suggested some really shit players, there are question marks on his training and on his ability to deal with players with huge egos.

The biggest loser in this story is INEOS. Their indecisiveness makes them look weak and unprepared. Maybe this is the reason why Nice FC and Lausanne FC fans don't rate them too much.

You seem incapable of understanding what is happening at this football club.

Let me help you out too.

For 12 years Manchester United football club have failed at transfers.. I hope you understand so far.

Everyone that you speak to, former players, former managers, other clubs, they say we are so bad because we send lawyers for negotiations not footballing people.

Jose was a very successful manager at other clubs, he was not in charge of buying players and selling them.

Managers tell the board their wish list and the club tries to get them..

Example. Manchester City and Pep, he wanted maguire the club said No we wont spend 80m. He wanted Kane the club said no we are not spending 140m

Thats how it works, the clubs decide because the managers will say yes, they dont care about clubs finances.

That's strange. Ten Hag's agency got very bullish when someone asked them if The United Stand and his agency have some connection.

They sound like twats and the accusation wouldn't surprise me. There was a journo a while ago that said ETH's agent is working overtime in the media to do PR work for him. His agent must get sick of it with all the stuff he comes out with that doesn't help, such as the Overmars quotes.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are posting here and elsewhere also.

I am not accusing SEG or the UT on anything however Goldbridge had been defending ETH more then ETH's own mum would probably do. Everyone cracks jokes about Rabiot's mum. Well she doesn't defend her boy to the extent that Goldie does with ETH.

Last edited:
I guess with the way you are going we should give Martial, Maguire, McTominay, AWB new contracts because it might cost £50m to replace them.
What a shit analogy, are forgetting that DDG had just won the Golden Glove? Meaning whilst he wasnt the best, replacing him wasn't critical at all and knowing the financial situation it wasn't well thoughtout to add keeper to the bucket list.

I fact I'd keep Maguire and AWB as squad players even though we might have stylistic issues when we need to play them. Why? Because I'd rather be signing another striker, right winger and left back before I look for a back up Right Back or a third CB.

For 12 years Manchester United footb
By Ten Hag insisting that he gets control of transfers when he was being hired, the club was (mistakenly) forced to rely on his judgement in transfer matters. It therefore follows that as Murtough and the rest are being blamed for poor player purchases, he cannot escape culpability for recommending the signing of duds like Anthony for crazy figures(relative to his talent) .To add insult to injury, he then went on to insist that Anthony is 'unplayable' when the whole world can see his lack of talent.The Anthony transfer alone should be enough to get sacked for. In any organization all employees are supposed to use proper judgement that leads to prudent use of available resources. Murtough, eager to show that he was backing the manager, relied on Ten Hag's judgement and the club lost money(Anthony is not worth more than 20 million pounds). It also lost the chance to strengthen in other important areas. He needs to be booted for criminal misuse of the club's money and for fraud for claiming he could be relied on when it came to transfers.

People making it out as if we are small club that get bullied by managers. This is Manchester United, where certain fans (not you) have been crying for a structure.

The reason for a structure?
1. To stop paying excessive fees
2. Identify talent
3. Negotiate and get transfers
4. Negotiate contracts
5. Sell players

I really cant believe how many fans actually think the manager decides what transfer fee is, wages are and who gets sold.

If the manager had all this autonomy as you are claiming, Ronaldo, AWB, Maguire, McTominay would not be at this club in his first season. But ofcourse, he only had a say in incomings not outgoings?

Anthony was valued at 40m and then Ten Hag decided that was too cheap, so decided to wait till August and pay 80m.

You seem incapable of understanding what is happening at this football club.

Let me help you out too.

For 12 years Manchester United football club have failed at transfers.. I hope you understand so far.

Everyone that you speak to, former players, former managers, other clubs, they say we are so bad because we send lawyers for negotiations not footballing people.

Jose was a very successful manager at other clubs, he was not in charge of buying players and selling them.

Managers tell the board their wish list and the club tries to get them..

Example. Manchester City and Pep, he wanted maguire the club said No we wont spend 80m. He wanted Kane the club said no we are not spending 140m

Thats how it works, the clubs decide because the managers will say yes, they dont care about clubs finances.

See the way a conversation works is you respond on what someone has said, here again you've moved into waffle territory and we all know why. I'll just repost what I asked and see if you're capable of answering a question or following a train of thought.

Do you think Ten Hag so foolish that he wouldn't understand paying more here means less money there?

Did he have the power to veto the signings?

Did he make an informed decision that the money on Anthony (after being told the fee) was better than any known alternatives, or a cheaper option, or signing a CB or CM instead?

Ten Hag is not responsible for any negative thing on this forum. Even poor and brain-dead substitutions in the final minutes of a game that lead to loss of points is blamed on 'poor club structure','lengthy injury list','new system of play' and so on.

All's good and well.

But still, people changed their minds over 90 minutes of football, in a 50 game season. Ridiculous.

This is true.. and I actually think he’s getting sacked anyway, or why haven’t they backed him yet? They are clearly looking at options

What a shit analogy, are forgetting that DDG had just won the Golden Glove? Meaning whilst he wasnt the best, replacing him wasn't critical at all and knowing the financial situation it wasn't well thoughtout to add keeper to the bucket list.

I fact I'd keep Maguire and AWB as squad players even though we might have stylistic issues when we need to play them. Why? Because I'd rather be signing another striker, right winger and left back before I look for a back up Right Back or a third CB.

Interesting this. So we should sign a Striker and another right winger before looking at CB?

You do realise we have 3 CB's at the club? Lindelof, Maguire and Lisandro. So you are saying we should start Lindelof and Lisandro as CB and Maguire as backup.

Yeah okay.

P.S do you believe Onana is a better Keeper than Allison? Cause he had more clean sheets than him, according to your logic because DDG had most clean sheets. In case you think I am saying Onana is better, I think Allison is the best keeper in the world btw.

Last edited:
This is true.. and I actually think he’s getting sacked anyway, or why haven’t they backed him yet? They are clearly looking at options
Why have they let him go on holiday then? Rather than call him into their office and tell him face to face

This is a good point. It also feels weird to me that if there is a review ongoing he doesn’t seem to be part of it. Just read newd from Frankfurt who also had an underwhelming season and they just completed their seasob review, DOF and manager together and now came out with a statement that they agree on reasons why it wasn't a great season, agree on how to fix the mistakes next season and therefore go on together. Nothing like that appears to happen at United
Frankfurt's season finished a whole week earlier than ours though and they came out with the statement today, din't they.
So it's not such a strong point you're making here.

Edit: I probably misunderstood your point, actually.. If you mean that the fact that the board is not doing the review together with Ten Hag points to him likely being sacked than him staying, I agree

Last edited:
I'd say Tuchel is more 'best in class' among the managers moving this summer than Arne Slot is.
Ye but he’s not a long term type of guy is he. Has he ever been at a club longer than 2 years? I’d rather we didn’t turn into Chelsea and sack managers after a season or 2. Who els is winning us 2 trophies with our squad and the injuries we’ve had? You have to let the man build a squad. It’s simple.

Ye but he’s not a long term type of guy is he. Has he ever been at a club longer than 2 years? I’d rather we didn’t turn into Chelsea and sack managers after a season or 2. Who els is winning us 2 trophies with our squad and the injuries we’ve had? You have to let the man build a squad. It’s simple.
I was answering to a snarky Liverpool fan.

I was answering to a snarky Liverpool fan.
Fair enough. Agree that Tuchel is miles above Slot. Let’s see if Slot wins a trophy first time round. He’s already got a better squad than ETH was left with here

Do you think Ten Hag so foolish that he wouldn't understand paying more here means less money there?

No.

Now let me put perspective and context into this because you have failed to. Ten Hag came in in summer of 22 and gave the board a list of targets. He fecked up on FDJ. Anthony was valued at 40m in June. According you, Ten Hag thought that was cheap, so he decided to wait until August when the season started to buy Anthony for 80m. Thats what you think right?

Did he have the power to veto the signings?

Yes.

Do you think that a club of Manchester United's size who has so many scouts goes Mr. Manager, transfer window has opened, give me players you want, then gets them at any cost? OR do you think they do their own due diligence?

Did he make an informed decision that the money on Anthony (after being told the fee) was better than any known alternatives, or a cheaper option, or signing a CB or CM instead?

Yes.

It was close to end of transfer window and he wanted a RW. Do you think Ten Hag knowing Anthony will join, Ten Hag purposely decided to wait 3 months to sign him?

Yet you did compare them and we know who won trophies at their respective clubs. Yes Pochettino did win a trophy at PSG I believe and Ajax is an easier club to manage than Spurs but it feels like it would be a sideways move. He didn’t even do a good job at Chelsea - would be just like us to get a manager on the wane.

I didn't compare the achievements. I pointed out that the targets for Spurs and Ajax are very different. As are the expectations. Ajax are the most successful club in Dutch history with one of the best academies in Europe. Spurs are a cup team, at best.

When they came up head to head, Poch won. And you could make a case for that Ajax having more resources that night, especially as Spurs were short Kane.

Is Poch a manager on the wane? He improved Chelsea by 19 points this season, over last.

People say Emery is manager of the season - he improved Villa by 7 points.

Meanwhile, ETH and United are 15 points short of least season.

So, who is on the wane?

But I don't see what has massively shifted since having a good game against city. If you want him gone because the season was bad that hasn't really changed.

We have generally been good against high lines over the last 5 years albeit less so under ten hag but we won't play against them very often.

Winning the fa Cup is great but in the two major competitions we have been terrible and our performance levels have been consistently poor

I also genuinely don't believe it would have taken a football genius to have improved our league performance this season just basic competence look realising our crazy tactics were leaving us wide open and adjusting early jn the season

we had a good game with as near our best defensive line up (except shaw being fit) in a good while. Now upgrade the defence again with clever signings.. the difference will be huge. We saw what having a in form amrabat/mainoo and Bruno could do. Now imagine replacing amrabat with someone even better. A top class DM in there, with Mason Mount finding form in there too.

we saw what is possible with the kids we have.. under ETHS guidance.. now imagine another season to improve. We also saw rashford play like he gave a damn, now let’s either see him build on that next season or replace him with someone like Olise.

let’s see what Onana can do with a strengthened, ball playing defence infront of him and a full season of PL football under his belt.

what would of been possible without all the crazy injuries and headlines? I think this season was pretty bad, no one can deny that but it isn’t all on the manager. Infact a lot of the difficulties were beyond his control and he dealt with it pretty well. We can’t imagine the stress he is under as the United manager. The most stressful job in football? Probably.

Has he been perfect? Nope, won us the big trophies? Nope! But United aren’t there. They aren’t ran or owned like a club that’s about to win the PL or CL. That’s not on the manager, blame the glazers for that one. 11 years of neglect and the rot has set In now, it shown up more than ever this season, to the point the glazers have had to draft ineos in. You can’t gloss over this any longer, chucking the manager under the bus has been easy until now.

you also have to remember, ETH is learning too.. it’s a massive jump, from the Netherlands to PL. that last game was a glimpse of what could be.. if he is given the tools especially. He’s learning too and we got to give him time to get it right.. and he will. He’s a brilliant manager when he’s allowed to be, just look at that Ajax team. Brilliant football.

it will take time, Patience and some difficult moments for sure. We can’t keep hitting the reset button every 2 seasons though, we will end up another Chelsea. Stick to something aslong as some signs are there and watch it grow.

I can guarantee many fans like @romufc were screaming "let EtH cook" in the last 2 summers, and were glad to see he gets almost all his transfer targets.
Now that it turns out EtH is a spectacular failure in transfers they re-write history.

They said it's a good thing EtH gets all the power in the club because the club is dysfunctional, and now they insist the club is dysfunctional and gets all the blame to give him all this power in the first place.

Has he been perfect? Nope, won us the big trophies? Nope! But United aren’t there. They aren’t ran or owned like a club that’s about to win the PL or CL. That’s not on the manager, blame the glazers for that one. 11 years of neglect and the rot has set In now, it shown up more than ever this season, to the point the glazers have had to draft ineos in. You can’t gloss over this any longer, chucking the manager under the bus has been easy until now

There seems to be a shift in fans mentality. I have seen many fans debating with me who are seemingly happy with the set up because they feel as if the managers are in charge of transfers, negotiations, scouting.

I wonder what is next, they probably blame the manager for the leaking roof at OT rather than Glazers and the club hierarchy.

Keeping DeGea would have slowed down switching to the new strategy. He is just not comfortable on the ball, period.

Besides that, he made more and more mistakes and is hopeless on crosses.

It would be another pragmatic year.

Is this the closest poll ever seen on the Caf? :eek:

Though mind you amongst match going fans it seems the overwhelming consensus is for him to be given another year.

Keeping DeGea would have slowed down switching to the new strategy. He is just not comfortable on the ball, period.

Besides that, he made more and more mistakes and is hopeless on crosses.

It would be another pragmatic year.

That poster wanted us to Keep DDG and start the 24/25 season with Lindelof and Lisandro as our first choice CB pairing with Maguire as only backup.

This is just nonsense. EtH may have wanted Onana and Mount and vetoed some other options. He didn't choose how much was spent. It's just ridiculous all this EtH spent this, EtH spent that. He didn't spend a thing.

You're suggesting EtH has to veto a signing to stop the club overpaying, which is just a ridiculous perspective to take.
If he has a veto on players he by definition has a veto on overspending on players. Unless you want to argue that while vetoing or okaying targets he does not spare a thought on how targets he okays affect the budget allocation between targets and target areas, in which case he would be an irresponsible fool.

Maybe just me but I'd expect a guy that has a so called 'veto' to consider the fee when making the decision on a player.

If one player is £10m and he thinks the alternative is slightly better but costs £90m are you saying he should choose the £90m option every time? Or just not even ask what the cost is?
Exactly.

There seems to be a shift in fans mentality. I have seen many fans debating with me who are seemingly happy with the set up because they feel as if the managers are in charge of transfers, negotiations, scouting.

I wonder what is next, they probably blame the manager for the leaking roof at OT rather than Glazers and the club hierarchy.

I think there’s different eras of fans. If you watch a lot of the YouTube stuff and Twitter there’s a huge portion of fans that were desperate for Saudi ownership despite hating city for being state owned and buying success. It’s different when it’s your club, right? A lot of this section of the fanbase want instant success and glory, believe United have a god given right to just waltz to every top trophy, when the reality is just because you have the biggest fan club and best history doesn’t give you the given right to be the best football team at any given moment. To be the best you have to be run the best. The creme de la creme from the top right down to the bottom. That’s not us. Hasn’t been for a long time.

If people think chucking a manager into this lions den and expecting the big trophies, despite being piss poor for a club of this magnitude in every aspect of the sport is the answer, the last 11 years tells you. It isn’t.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. being the manager of Manchester United is by far the toughest job in football. Harder than Real Madrid, Barcelona, city, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bayern.. etc etc etc. the manager needs so much expertise and support around him if he’s going to succeed on the top level. We don’t have that. Yet.

I thought he would have been fired by now. I guess that means he is staying. I hope he doesn't have a big input into transfers and I hope he improves his tactics and team selection.

Fingers crossed for next season.

:lol:

Ahh yes. I remember when he worked with Hojlund in the 90s.

we had a good game with as near our best defensive line up (except shaw being fit) in a good while. Now upgrade the defence again with clever signings.. the difference will be huge. We saw what having a in form amrabat/mainoo and Bruno could do. Now imagine replacing amrabat with someone even better. A top class DM in there, with Mason Mount finding form in there too.

we saw what is possible with the kids we have.. under ETHS guidance.. now imagine another season to improve. We also saw rashford play like he gave a damn, now let’s either see him build on that next season or replace him with someone like Olise.

let’s see what Onana can do with a strengthened, ball playing defence infront of him and a full season of PL football under his belt.

what would of been possible without all the crazy injuries and headlines? I think this season was pretty bad, no one can deny that but it isn’t all on the manager. Infact a lot of the difficulties were beyond his control and he dealt with it pretty well. We can’t imagine the stress he is under as the United manager. The most stressful job in football? Probably.

Has he been perfect? Nope, won us the big trophies? Nope! But United aren’t there. They aren’t ran or owned like a club that’s about to win the PL or CL. That’s not on the manager, blame the glazers for that one. 11 years of neglect and the rot has set In now, it shown up more than ever this season, to the point the glazers have had to draft ineos in. You can’t gloss over this any longer, chucking the manager under the bus has been easy until now.

you also have to remember, ETH is learning too.. it’s a massive jump, from the Netherlands to PL. that last game was a glimpse of what could be.. if he is given the tools especially. He’s learning too and we got to give him time to get it right.. and he will. He’s a brilliant manager when he’s allowed to be, just look at that Ajax team. Brilliant football.

it will take time, Patience and some difficult moments for sure. We can’t keep hitting the reset button every 2 seasons though, we will end up another Chelsea. Stick to something aslong as some signs are there and watch it grow.
You are right we had one good game but that's all it was.

That defence lso wouldn't have looked anywhere near as comfortable behind the midfield setup ten hag has deployed majority of the season. Amrabat was available for some time but not played

You mention mount but it's really hard to him ever fitting into a midfield with Bruno

Too many of his ideas appear naive at best and he is slow to react and change his plans. He has had enough time to show what he can do now

Status
Not open for further replies.