Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's strange. Ten Hag's agency got very bullish when someone asked them if The United Stand and his agency have some connection.

Its pretty clear there is a connection. Why else would Brent be so desperate for Ten Hag to stay?

You are right we had one good game but that's all it was.

That defence lso wouldn't have looked anywhere near as comfortable behind the midfield setup ten hag has deployed majority of the season. Amrabat was available for some time but not played

You mention mount but it's really hard to him ever fitting into a midfield with Bruno

Too many of his ideas appear naive at best and he is slow to react and change his plans. He has had enough time to show what he can do now

Go and read through the amrabat performance threat throughout the season, he got chances and played poor/didn’t take them. He has definitely come into form towards the end of the season and stood up to be counted. My point is imagine he hit the ground running from the start? He didn’t though so hindsight is a wonderful thing, it happens.

two years isn’t enough. It really isn’t. Another season, his contract will be up and then you can make that decision. He’s still won us trophies. The first in 6 years remember.
Mason Mount was injured most the season so never got to really show what he can do. He is versatile and could have give us multiple options. Injuries didn’t allow for it. No ones fault

A very tough season which still ended ina trophy.

I think there’s different eras of fans. If you watch a lot of the YouTube stuff and Twitter there’s a huge portion of fans that were desperate for Saudi ownership despite hating city for being state owned and buying success. It’s different when it’s your club, right? A lot of this section of the fanbase want instant success and glory, believe United have a god given right to just waltz to every top trophy, when the reality is just because you have the biggest fan club and best history doesn’t give you the given right to be the best football team at any given moment. To be the best you have to be run the best. The creme de la creme from the top right down to the bottom. That’s not us. Hasn’t been for a long time.

If people think chucking a manager into this lions den and expecting the big trophies, despite being piss poor for a club of this magnitude in every aspect of the sport is the answer, the last 11 years tells you. It isn’t.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. being the manager of Manchester United is by far the toughest job in football. Harder than Real Madrid, Barcelona, city, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bayern.. etc etc etc. the manager needs so much expertise and support around him if he’s going to succeed on the top level. We don’t have that. Yet.

I have seen this alot on Youtube and Twitter. "We are Manutd, we should settle for xyz". That time I think, do you think Leeds and Forest fans think... they should be challenging for titles because they are a big club? No, you have to understand where you are.

Chelsea are the best example in my opinion, under Roman they had a structure, new man comes in and thinks he knows the best. Look how thats gone, the managers cannot do anything. That is 2 years of Chelsea's ownership, this is happening at United for 11 years.

I agree, the scrutiny that a Manchester United manager comes under is more than any other manager.

SJR said, when the club keeps failing under various managers, it cant be just the manager's fault can it? which is why the whole structure above the manager is replaced.

Its pretty clear there is a connection. Why else would Brent be so desperate for Ten Hag to stay?
The same reason that majority of our fans wants him to stay. It doesn't mean all those fans are sponsored by Ten Hag

Last edited:
For 12 years Manchester United footb

People making it out as if we are small club that get bullied by managers. This is Manchester United, where certain fans (not you) have been crying for a structure.

The reason for a structure?
1. To stop paying excessive fees
2. Identify talent
3. Negotiate and get transfers
4. Negotiate contracts
5. Sell players

I really cant believe how many fans actually think the manager decides what transfer fee is, wages are and who gets sold.

If the manager had all this autonomy as you are claiming, Ronaldo, AWB, Maguire, McTominay would not be at this club in his first season. But ofcourse, he only had a say in incomings not outgoings?

Anthony was valued at 40m and then Ten Hag decided that was too cheap, so decided to wait till August and pay 80m.
Please read my post properly. I said 'he recommended'. And I have no much problem with the others because of the money spent. Also Ronaldo,Maguire and the others preceded Ten Hag so I don't know why you mention them except maybe as a diversionary tactic. My main issue was the Anthony transfer.There would be no issue if he was bought for something like 15 or 20 million given his limited talent. I find the suggestion on caf that Ten Hag was unaware of the figures quoted during the negotiations preposterous. And as for the old 'structure' chestnut-if a manager knows there is no structure they can decline to apply for the job.This is why some managers such as Klopp were not too keen. Actually,Ten Hag accepted the job because there was no structure and he could control things like transfers.He said it himself.

Was going to post this but couldn't find the tweet, it's a prime example of INEOS reluctance to act sooner.

Reflects badly on putting the present manager in a state of uncertainty and doesn't allow the club to formulate plans cohesively.

He isn't delivering a new possession based playing style though. It's the exact opposite - we have never had lower possession than we've had under ETH. Even last season when things went a lot better we only narrowly had more possession than the previous Ole/Rangnick disaster season, and comfortably lower possession than any other season. That's despite having Martinez in defence, Shaw fit almost all season, and Casemiro and Eriksen (when they were both still fairly good for most of the season) in midfield. Then this season it was easily the lowest possession we've ever had.

The playstyle he is implementing is arguably the main reason people think he should be sacked, even moreso than the results. It's basically the opposite of what we wanted to move towards. We wanted more possession, more ability to control the tempo of the match, more interplay and build-up between players to create opportunities for the attackers. We didn't just get none of those, we've actively gone backwards in all of them. On top of that, he's actively set us up to be arguably the most open team in modern PL history, with opposition cutting through us virtually at will.

The players we've got obviously means we're not going to be competing for the title. Nobody is expecting that (well, I'm sure 'some' are, but nobody being realistic). But we should be seeing things being implemented that sets us up for the future as we get those better players to fit into the system. We haven't. There is a chance ETH manages to turn things around if given more time, but it won't be by continuing with what he's done this season. Which means he has completely sacrificed this entire season for no reason, at least until the final four games of the season when he stopped being so stubborn.
Pretty much this. And TBH I've had had no issue with not doing possession oriented playstyle if what he was implementing for 90% of this season wasn't obviously nonsense.

It's almost a full week since our Fa Cup win. It was great feeling and another example why trophies matter so much (especially beating best team in country and Europe still). However, after a few days you kinda mostly forget about it because there's that coming back to reality which says we finished 8th in the league with negative goal difference. Which doesn't fill you with confidence for next season which is 2 months away.

If those making the decision believe injuries played crucial part in our season, then announce the decision and keep ten Hag giving him until October/November. If not, sack him by the end of this week or at least first part of next week (so around/by 5th June). Dragging it longer than early June would be too long.

Poll now says 51% favour keeping ten Hag (was only 28% before Cup final). My vote is still 'No' but at this point would just want to know the decision and wouldn't be that disappointed if he stays either.

Wait, we're shopping for ETH targets again?
That's what doesn't make sense about the tweet. I thought we were moving to a system where the manager had less influence over transfers and most of the decisions would be made by the new hierarchy.

Will Ten Hag and his agency want to give up recruitment control? That might be the real reason Ineos want to sack him.

Could it be the case that we can't announce a decision until a certain date?

Like say if we are to appoint someone say Di Zerbi, Poch or Tuchel that they have agreed to leave their current jobs by mutual agreement that they are to finish up say 1st June (Tomorrow) could be in the agreement that after that date we can announce something??

That's a fair last paragraph. The problem I have is that I have zero confidence that Ten Hag can get us consistent through a long period of time. So ultimately we're just wasting time and resources on a busted flush. I will say that whoever has been in charge of our Academy revival deserves praise. That's been on a steady upward trend for the past 4/5 years.

Regarding Chelsea, They did get battered by Arsenal. But that was their only loss in like 15 PL games. They also stumbled a little bit with a few draws, the one at home to Burnley in particular was very bad. It wasn't all brilliant but it was significantly better than they had been achieving and were being pulled out of their rut. I wasn't even a fan of Pochettino but I think we're past the point of being fussy, we need a Manager to come in and improve the style and consistency.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in meetings right now as clearly there's some disagreement on where the club should be heading otherwise Ineos would have made a statement one way or the other. Stalling the decision benefits nobody as Manager replacements can move on and it disrupts any future planning for pre season. At this point a decision needs to be made.
That would be Murtough and Nick Cox. Maybe some credit to Nicky Butt too?

Please read my post properly. I said 'he recommended'. And I have no much problem with the others because of the money spent. Also Ronaldo,Maguire and the others preceded Ten Hag so I don't know why you mention them except maybe as a diversionary tactic. My main issue was the Anthony transfer.There would be no issue if he was bought for something like 15 or 20 million given his limited talent. I find the suggestion on caf that Ten Hag was unaware of the figures quoted during the negotiations preposterous. And as for the old 'structure' chestnut-if a manager knows there is no structure they can decline to apply for the job.This is why some managers such as Klopp were not too keen. Actually,Ten Hag accepted the job because there was no structure and he could control things like transfers.He said it himself.

So a manager should get sacked for recommending a bad signing?

I wonder what you would have done to SAF for recommending Moyes to us.

Let’s compare the FA cup final with Arsenal’s last game against Man City.

Possession
Arsenal = 27,4 United = 26,4.
Corners
Arsenal 4-7(City) . United 1-7 (City)
xG
Arsenal 0.66 - 1.0 United 1.59 - 1.35
Shots
Arsenal 6-12. United 11-19
Shots on target .
Arsenal 2-1 United 3-3
Results
Arsenal 0-0 United 2-1

One conclusion I draw is that our stats in the final, with nearly all players available, is similar from a statistical viewpoint to Arsenals game against City. We were a little bit more potent in our counter attacks but Arteta’s defensive approach was a little bit more tighter than us.

This is not a comparison of the whole season or a suggestion that we’re as good as Arsenal, far from it, but in some specific matches we’re close at their level.

A couple of new quality players who fits right in our system, a little bit more depth in the squad and I wouldn’t immediately count us off. We need to find the right players in the summer, those who make a difference, but with a bit of luck…..

United forever!

Well he retired, so there's not exactly anything to do, is there?

It will be quite something if United sack Ten Hag in the next couple of weeks - we'd be going into the summer transfer window with no manager, no Chief Executive and no Director of Football.

Yeah whatever you feel about Erik's future that would just be utter chaos but could happen

I hope this isn't true. We can't afford another summer where we let every other club get a head start on transfers.

I'm sure it is true.
We are run poorly and are reactive. We have no poor planning and every "move" we make seems to be done in panic.
If the management of this company were any good, they'd have made a decision on the manager within 24 hours of the FA Cup win.

It is shocking that we don't learn from our mistakes but make them repeatedly and make silly excuses for failure.

I thought he would have been fired by now. I guess that means he is staying. I hope he doesn't have a big input into transfers and I hope he improves his tactics and team selection.

Fingers crossed for next season.

Mind you if he was staying why haven't they just announced it amongst all the positivity this week

He should be sacked for presiding over the worst season for United in PL history. Let us not even go to other things for now, especially his “ability” to judge how unsuitable the players he has already coached are to United and the PL.

I thought he would have been fired by now. I guess that means he is staying. I hope he doesn't have a big input into transfers and I hope he improves his tactics and team selection.

Fingers crossed for next season.
The only input he should have is the type of players he needs to achieve the possession attacking style of football he wants to play. He tells them what he needs, they pick a few players at each position then maybe ask for his opinion.

I'm sure it is true.
We are run poorly and are reactive. We have no poor planning and every "move" we make seems to be done in panic.
If the management of this company were any good, they'd have made a decision on the manager within 24 hours of the FA Cup win.

It is shocking that we don't learn from our mistakes but make them repeatedly and make silly excuses for failure.

Agreed.

New regime same problem. Cant be proactive.

I mean its quite simple really. Got Barrada, Claude, Ashworth, Cox, Brailsford etc... spent 5 months doing nothing.

Has a crap season, wait till FA Cup final, wins it against the odds and major panic, what do we do?

A couple of new quality players who fits right in our system, a little bit more depth in the squad and I wouldn’t immediately count us off. We need to find the right players in the summer, those who make a difference, but with a bit of luck…..

That is the same rhetoric that was written by many on this forum, last Summer. And the Summer before. And the Summer before that.
In fact every season many deluded fans say this type of thing: "If we can buy 2-3 quality players, we can compete for the league".

It is astounding that any sane person who knows anything about football would believe that.

From top to bottom we need a complete change. And by the looks of it, INEOS are slotting in and managing the club in a similar way to how the Glazers ran it.
At this moment in time, when the managerial decision should already have been made, the club are faffing around, in the exact way that the Glazers used to.

I want to remind people that when Ralf R said 3 years ago that the squad needs open heart surgery and needed players who arrive hungry for success (before their big contract) and needed a major structural change - he was fired.
Ronaldo demanded that players stand up and be counted. He wanted young players to learn from him. His standards were very high. They got rid of him, too.

The winning mentality is something that is missing from our squad. I know that Bruno has it, but beyond that, I'm not sure how many of our players have a genuine "win at all costs" attitude.

This threat of Southgate looming over us is fecking hilarious. It's like telling a child they'll have to go their room if they misbehave.

The same reason that majority of our fans wants him to stay. It doesn't mean all those fans are sponsored by Ten Hag

He has always been among the first to ask for a managers sacking yet regardless of results he has been backing Ten Hag, to the point where anyone asking for him to be sacked in his community would get called all sorts of names.
US have never had much connections inside the club, suddenly they clearly get info and they get an exclusive with Rasmus. Someone who is with SEG as well.

Interesting this. So we should sign a Striker and another right winger before looking at CB?

You do realise we have 3 CB's at the club? Lindelof, Maguire and Lisandro. So you are saying we should start Lindelof and Lisandro as CB and Maguire as backup.

Yeah okay.

P.S do you believe Onana is a better Keeper than Allison? Cause he had more clean sheets than him, according to your logic because DDG had most clean sheets. In case you think I am saying Onana is better, I think Allison is the best keeper in the world btw.
Jesus Christ, do you even listen or you just read to respond. Let me try to say this slowly. When entering a summer window the football department is told how there is to spend before sales, please stay with me on this.

Knowing what they have the recruitment department including the manager and DOF discuss the positions they want to strengthen as a priority. They look at the players, the transfer pointman gets in touch with agents and they get informed on how much the club is likely to demand and the wage the player would accept. They formulate their own budget basing on the ceiling they got from the CEO.

In all this, for a man who demanded control of transfers, Ten Hag is supposed to know that if he spends 50m on Onana because he has let DDG go it would impact what the club can do in the market. Especially because we already spent outrageous figures the previous summer our budget can't be elastic. So by deciding to offload DDG he effectively denied himself another CB without selling Maguire.

The fact that we got to two finals, finished third and got to the quarters of the Europa means that DDG was still serviceable and therefore replacing him was not a priority. The fact that it was meant that we couldn't act decisively on other positions. Look at what Bayern had sacrifice to fund the signing of Kane. This is how the adult world works if you indulge yourself too much you lose out on other essentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.