Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the football guy with pedigree at clubs wants to keep Ten Hag. The cyclist guy with a track record of changing too much too quickly at Nice wants to get rid.

Checks out.

The guy who's face we saw close ups of again and again and again, while we were getting outplayed by relegation fodder, not looking too happy at almost every game since the takeover.

Yeah him.

We will be back here in November trying to blame INEOS for not giving ETH what he wants when clearly he is an incompetent manager. It’s all well now he has won the FA Cup

I could be wrong but if one person is pushing for something that is the de facto situation then it means that someone else is pushing for something else. Otherwise why would Blanc be pushing to keep someone that is under contract?
I think they used the term devil’s advocate which to me means the other person isn’t necessarily arguing against them cos they are pushing against it, more so they are having a healthy questioning of the thought process.

I could be wrong but if one person is pushing for something that is the de facto situation then it means that someone else is pushing for something else. Otherwise why would Blanc be pushing to keep someone that is under contract?
My question is why is it suddenly Wilcox? Where does Ashworth get thrown in, he's not in the club yet. What is Berradas view.

There's no point guesstimating, we can only go by what we know.

We will be back here in November trying to blame INEOS for not giving ETH what he wants when clearly he is an incompetent manager. It’s all well now he has won the FA Cup
Well if we don’t secure the signings that he requires to have us progress, INEOS will rightly be blamed. You can’t keep him and then refuse to support him with the players he wants and needs.

The guy who's face we saw close ups of again and again and again, while we were getting outplayed by relegation fodder, not looking too happy at almost every game since the takeover.

Yeah him.

There was pictures of fans looking unhappy, doesn't mean they know whats best.

“Yes there’s been a lot of instances of players unavailability but you get on with it”

“Has he done enough to merit another season? No”

Phelan I’m sorry for the shorts and setting up cones jokes over the years. You’re a good lad.

Or we will be back in here in two years when certain fans lose patience with yet another manager, and want them sacked for someone else.

At some point you actually have to give a manager time to turn it around.

Thats nice, didnt realise a season is judged on 1/2 a season.

How did he fair in cup competitions, has he won anything in England after building squads?

Appartently these days you can base an entire season on a 6 game cup competition ignoring 16 months of terrible form. Fact is over the final 19 games of the PL season he averaged 2 points per game, which is higher than ETH has ever managed. He's got a decent track record of stabilising clubs and making them competitive. Personally, i'd much rather us play well in the league over a sustained period of time rather than scraping by and winning a cup while being dross for the rest of the Season. Reminder, we beat Wigan (league one) 2-0, took us to the 75th minute to score the 2nd goal, we beat Newport County (League Two) 4-2 letting them get back in the tie and drawn level back to 2-2 before scoring the 3rd on 68 mins. We scraped past Nottingham Forest 1-0, the Liverpool win showed good character given Diallo scored the eventual winner in pretty much the final kick of the game. But then we almost lost to Coventry. We rode our luck several times through the competition.

Now the big question and I know what your answer is, would you prefer several seasons of being dogshit in the league and Europe but getting the odd cup win now and then. Or would you prefer bringing a Manager in that could settle the team and make us decent in the league again but perhaps not winning a cup? Personally I want us to play well most weeks, so i'd ride with the sensible option over the playing dross every week but getting a cup win. That's mainly because I want to enjoy us play football most weeks rather than be frustrated that we can barely go three weeks without losing a game. The past 16 odd months have been down right miserable for me as a United fan. There's very little that makes me think Ten Hag can change that rut.

The guys not bitter at all....

The guys an arse clown. No one knew what he really did under Fergie. Done f all after. Came back to give Ole some sort of merit with people still not knowing what he was doing and no one noticed him missing since.

Last edited:
I think he’s quite realistic, and he also gives me the vibe of a manager that wants to protect his reputation and legacy (hence blaming of injuries, blaming players, citing lack of quality and toning down the expectations). Not necessarily a bad thing.
He has definitively been euphemizing our season while moving the goalposts of expectation and club ambition lower in order to make his work look good. But that is not a sign of lack of personal ambition, on the contrary.

But when does it really "drag on"? ETH lifted the FA Cup on Saturday, had a proper go at his wife all weekend, and although the announcement could have made on Monday there is general consensus that doing so would have been disrespectful, if not cruel. Today is Thursday. The weekend is coming up and it would be highly irregular to sack someone on a weekend.

Monday/Tuesday next week seems the right time frame to announce whatever the decision is.
Jeez that was uncalled for "green laughing emoji

Anyway I'm also concerned about the choice of the new manager dragging as well and unless our transfer strategy decides to pursue our targets without the said managers input we could lose some precious time in acquiring our desired targets.

But maybe I'm just too jaded from all the club sale saga so hopefully it all ends well.

Or we will be back in here in two years when certain fans lose patience with yet another manager, and want them sacked for someone else.

At some point you actually have to give a manager time to turn it around.
You don’t really. You can keep changing them until you get the right one in, which is what most clubs do.

The guys an arse clown. No one knew what he really did under Fergie. Done f all after. Came back to give Ole some sort of merit with people still not knowing what he was doing and no one noticed him missing since.

All this over Ten Hag?

Phelan is right though, he doesn't deserve any more chance than the previous managers got based on performances.

So now he is a noone because he doesnt agree with you! he is right in what he said!

Thanks. So he's won leagues or finished runner up or top 3 in every season bar this one.

And you think his personal ambition and target going forward is top 6.

Thanks, checks out.

At Utrecht?

Unbelievable that he actually dares to not be deluded and set unrealistic expectations. What a cnut.

We need a manager who will categorically say that we will definitely win the PL and the CL next season.

You’re attacking me for simply responding what our own managers aims are next year in response to someone noting Poch’s ceiling isn’t much more than just getting Top 4.

But yeah as an aside I do think noting that the goal for a 3rd season managing a big side, after spending probably close to 600m, being just “getting back into the top 4” is a bit pathetic

Are the club making a bit of a bugger of this ?
No, they’re just not rushing (or looking like they’re rushing) just because x% of United fans (social media, here, etc) are screaming about what should be done. They‘ve watched our season (some awful elements, some good) and post FA Cup, they’re having a calm, serious debate before being comfortable with a decision.

I thought he was still with us! When I saw that pop up I was like, bit harsh given you work in the club. Thought he’d just been ushered in house to work in the canteen or something.

You’re attacking me for simply responding what our own managers aims are next year in response to someone noting Poch’s ceiling isn’t much more than just getting Top 4.

But yeah as an aside I do think noting that the goal for a 3rd season managing a big side, after spending probably close to 600m, being just “getting back into the top 4” is a bit pathetic
Nah I'm agreeing with you mate. He's clearly a cnut and you're clearly incredibly smart.

I was making a point that those I mentioned, even though technically available to different extents, were actually more realistic than the names you were giving as they had just been employed elsewhere. Literally none of them have been reported as targets, so your post was just fecking stupid.

The rest of what you have said doesn't matter to us either, because the managers we are apparently interested in haven't gone to any of those teams. Some have even appointed managers than are arguably worse than what we could choose from right now. So again, a pointless discussion.

And for what it's worth, there would be absolutely nothing knee jerk about getting a new manager. All the main ETH supporters on here were all accepting of the fact that ETH should/will go not long ago, because deep down they knew it was going to happen due to results and performances. At any other club he doesn't survive this season. Pre-INEOS he probably would have gone too. There wouldn't have been this outrage if he'd have been sacked at any point before the final, yet after the final it's suddenly crazy to sack him. That is the only kneejerk opinion in all of this.

And given that INEOS have had months to prepare for the likely even that he needed to go, it wouldn't have been called kneejerk had they have lined up another option and sacked him. So what exactly is kneejerk about the idea he should have been sacked?
Okay, so what I said originally really did fly over your head didn’t it??! :lol:

My question is why is it suddenly Wilcox? Where does Ashworth get thrown in, he's not in the club yet. What is Berradas view.

There's no point guesstimating, we can only go by what we know.

Personally I put every one of them as a possibility, so I don't have an answer to your question.

he is right in what he said!

Disregarded mitigating circumstances outright and failed to name a successor.

You'd get better insight from Mark Goldbridge.

Ten Hag and Ashworth/Wilcox will not get on well together. If he stays. I guarantee it. He already refused to work with Rangnick. He puts control of transfers in his contracts. He wont get on well with football people telling him what to do unless he's already buddies with them. It was easy with Murtough because Murtough did everything Ten Hag asked of him, their working relationship was backwards.

Whether it's Southgate or McKenna I think Ashworth will be pushing an English head coach who will be easy to manage and happy to focus on coaching.

McKenna isn't quite English but I get your point.

Ineos will want their man in, no matter the impact it will have at the club. We are in sincere danger of hiring far worse than ten Hag and talking ourselves into very dangerous water indeed.

What concerns me mostly is Ineos making dire managerial appointments, getting as far as Ole and the executive structure being rewarded for habitual failure.

The likes of Southgate is a terrifying prospect which stinks of Woodwardian cronyism. Just no.

As, besides possibly Tuchel, there is no better candidate, I recommend we hold onto ten Hag, back him and see.

Unbelievable that he actually dares to not be deluded and set unrealistic expectations. What a cnut.

We need a manager who will categorically say that we will definitely win the PL and the CL next season.

No but it would be nice to have a manager who's confident he can at least challenge for one or both those competitions within 3-4 years.

Ten Hag sounded confident on that front 2 years ago when he was appointed, recently not so much.

No but it would be nice to have a manager who's confident he can at least challenge for one or both those competitions within 3-4 years.

Ten Hag sounded confident on that front 2 years ago when he was appointed, recently not so much.
Wonder why.

This I’m actually fine with. He’s being very honest in that his goal is to be a 5th - 6th placed team they can push for 4th if they get near perfect injury record and get their signings spot on. That will probably where he would want us to establish us long term, with a cup run here and there, so at least we know what we are looking at here in terms of realistic expectations.

Most of our fanbase would be completely fine with it, and it’s up to our new owners to determine whether it’s acceptable for them as well.
That’s almost sounding as though he thinks he overachieved this season in reaching 8th!

Status
Not open for further replies.